Match Thread Luton Town v. Sheffield United - 28th August 2021

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

LUT
LUT
LUT

Final

Final
Final
SUFC
SUFC
SUFC
Status
Ratings for this match closed
  • Admin
1630094050135.png v. 1630094056482.png
Championship Week 5 - Saturday 27th August 2021 - 15:00 - Kenilworth Road

Please keep all discussion related to the match within this thread.

Matchday Stats/Player Ratings - Luton Town vs Sheffield United

Officials:

Referee:
Andy Davies
Assistant Referee: Akil Howson
Assistant Referee: Mark Pottage
Fourth Official: Neil Hair

Coverage:

Follow via S24SU Twitter
: https://twitter.com/s24su

Need a VPN? - https://www.s24su.com/forum/threads/vpn-usage.87094/

📺
Live TV Coverage
:

SUTV Live - https://live.sufc.co.uk/

Fair blandly terrible performance. First half was pretty equal for me. We had more of the ball but they looked livelier. They should have scored second half. Terrible refereeing when they were clean through, they just needed to make a sideways pass when Wes dropped a bollock and had 4 on 2 at one stage. We looked clueless. Zero movement upfront. The strikers need things throwing at them. There's no one to pass to and it's putting extra pressure on the defenders. You could see Bogle getting frustrated with it. Nothing much in midfield. Every one of them lost the ball under pressure and produced a loose pass. Sloppy at the back and we looked poor there. They got through us far too easily and we insist on passing it around. We looked slightly better with Freeman on. Didn't really come off for him but at least we looked slightly more dangerous.

A point towards safety. 11 behind Fulham already

Wes - 4 - First keeper in the history of football to get cramp? Fairly solid first half apart from a charge and punch he was very lucky with (could have easily bounced over him with a bit of spin on it). Took a touch and lost it second half and they hit the post. pass to the side and they score. Did pretty well in the air but comes out a long way to claim things.
Davies - 4 - Sloppy. Looks quite assured on the ball but defensively almost dropped a bollock trying to shepherd it out and some loose passes.
Egan - 5 - Won a fair amount of headers but didn't look entirely secure. The defence looked a mess at times and was fortunate on a few occasions
Basham - 3 - Thought he was poor and an accident waiting to happen. All their play came down our left and is too easy to turn. got beaten way too easily.
RND - 4 - Not convinced by him. Not the greatest defensively and little end product going forward. More steady than anything else.
Baldock - 3- As Bash. Way too easily beaten and doesn't get close enough to cut out crosses. Looks like that injury might keep him out for a while
Fleck - 4 - Played a couple of good balls, lost the ball and gave one away badly. There's just not much there an seems to drift through games
Norwood - 4 - At least wants the ball but for a playmaker seems to lack vision. Did a bit better defensively at least but uninspiring
Berge - 5 - Sloppy and got caught on the ball again. Looks dangerous when getting forward but doesn't do it nearly well enough. He looks ponderous at times, as if he's just going through the motions.
McBurnie - 5 - Started better but the problem is that if he's coming back or wide for the ball there's nothing in the middle. Got progressively less effective before coming off. Got his head on a couple of things but nowhere near.
Sharp - 3 - Thought he was fairly dire today. He's far too static. Just stands and waits in the middle. The two times he got great balls to him and had the chance to set a player free he completely stuffed it up. Shouldn't be starting for me, but then again who on earth is there?

Subs

Freeman - 6 - Came on at half time and played behind the strikers. We looked a little more dangerous with him on and he tried to make things happen (but nothing really came off). Looks overweight and slow but still better than anyone else today.
Bogle - 4 - Defensively he just doesn't read the game well and in weak in the tackle and nothing in the header. Bit more lively going forward but no end product.
Brewster - 0 - Appalling. Worse cross I've ever seen. Almost got to the halfway line. I'm starting to believe he's an elaborate joke. A performance artist taking the piss out of footballers.

Slav - 2 - We went back to the same set-up which hasn't worked for so long now. We had nothing going forward. You can hear the back-room staff shouting and screaming throughout but for all we kept the ball and played it nicely sideways and back there's no penetration. Changed formation and pushed Freeman into the Duffy role at halftime. Seemed to be working well but defensively made us a lot weaker without really creating anything.

5 games in, 2 draws, one goal and zero hope.

SUTV was ok. The commentary was bad but better than nothing. Stream never a problem. Some interesting replays and camera angles though.
Fleck 4 & Bogle 4, really

fleck was a whole new level of diabolical stagnant shit. He is fucking wank. Wanker than wank. And just a bit wankier than Norwood

They can't even get the fucking score right!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210828-174202.png
    Screenshot_20210828-174202.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 36
Whens SJs postmatch interview? I need to here sweet lies about how he wants 4-5 players

Anyone else feel the urge to want to batter each of those players in hopes of knocking something, anything into them

I'd like the club to openly write this season off and use the money in a different way.
Take Mousset, Fleck and Norwood into a room, write them a cheque and tell them to foxtrot oscar. It might wake some of the others up.
I'd include Brewster in it too but that would cost us a fortune.

It kinda looks that half of our team has different ideas than the other half and if they have same idea to attack they can't put the ideas together. It's like they need to focus and react to teammate's doings instead of preact and be part of the plan.

Bogle and Freeman looked energic and I think they fired up others (like Berge) at times which seemed good effect. Sharp was marked man and didn't touch the ball much. Brewster was like a dog that's got away from the leash and just enjoys running free so much forgets everything else around him. He had couple of sprints where he just outran opponent, but then wasn't able to do anything with the ball.

I don't disagree with you, but that will only work if we get new players in. These players have proved week after week that they can't even play the system they were brought in to play now, never mind take new tactics on board.
It saddens me, it really does, to see how quickly this bunch has deteriorated, every game we play is the cruelest groundhog day ever.
Agreed, progress is only going to come with several new signings, the rot has set in too deep with this bunch to turn it around without a freshening up of new faces. They might be looking different to the manager in training, but he is surely cottoning on to the fact that they can’t turn in a threatenIng, clinical performance on matchdays. They were decent enough with keeping possession last year without looking like a goal, even a goal chance was going to come and that now appears to be their groove irrespective of what level of opposition they face.

Can se the bloke walking if things don't change in the next couple of weeks. He doesn't need the money or the grief tbh.
Tbh hes now put it out there exactly what he was promised by the board so its down to them to sort this mess out

No Drive
No Intensity
He's called it honestly.
You just hope he doesn't walk he gets Rammers money 4 signings and we will look much better- promotion already gone and survival best we can hope for after 5 games- ridiculous.
McBurnie top of the bin list he is atrocious- embarrassing footballer - I really don't want to watch him.

43m for Brewster and Mcburnie. FORTY THREE MILLION.
One that shoves bouncy balls in his boots before the game and would get out-paced by captain blade.
The other that manages to enter the pitch and then magically reappear in the dressing room at the end of the game having gone missing

Again I don’t understand how hard it is for our fans to understand

They look woeful because of the service they receive

Put them in a team that creates chances they will score like when we signed them

We have better strikers than 95% of other teams in the league I’d go as far to say we have the best strikers in the league we could go and buy mitrovic and the same fans would say he’s w@nk after him not scoring for 10 games

We should have lost that game on chances created. Hardly decent.

And the "simpletons" make up about 95% of the comments it seems

Aye 95% of our fans are simpletons who moan when we pass the ball

Then moan 5 minutes later cause we never get the ball

Gerritforward

At least he is seeing what everyone else is seeing. I would like to see some youngsters given a try. I appreciate that he inherited a shit squad but he keeps picking the same midfield and expecting different results. If we don't get 3 or 4 in then surely we are fucked. Hopefully he is having Frank discussions with the board.

God knows, I'm quickly losing patience with our new boss.
Who does Slav pick then? He has no options.

I’m sure I have read from you that Basham is no good in midfield and you don’t rate Freeman. So who does Slav pick?

The only person “losing patience” should be Slav with the board. Going off his post match interview, he has obviously been lied to.

He has been sold a shit show. Nobody could pick a winning team out of this current shower of shit.

Who does Slav pick then? He has no options.

I’m sure I have read from you that Basham is no good in midfield and you don’t rate Freeman. So who does Slav pick?

The only person “losing patience” should be Slav with the board. Going off his post match interview, he has obviously been lied to.

He has been sold a shit show. Nobody could pick a winning team out of this current shower of shit.
Bogle Berge Freeman Osborn, maybe give Brunt a go.
Anyone rather than Fleck and Norwood, apart from Bash.
I've never said I don't rate Freeman

Bogle Berge Freeman Osborn, maybe give Brunt a go.
Anyone rather than Fleck and Norwood, apart from Bash.
I've never said I don't rate Freeman
Bogle and Freeman both on pitch today and created nothing.

Ozzy, for all his effort, is too lightweight for the championship. Wasn’t he part of the lineup that got battered 4-0 to WBA?

I like the idea of giving youth like Brunt and Jebbison a good crack, but lets be honest, we are clutching at straws if we are pinning our hopes on the young uns.

The point I’m making is that nobody can be blaming Slav here. Pep Guardiola wouldn't get a tune out of this midfield.

The post match interview is the alarm bell we all knew was coming, promises have been made to him, the board haven’t delivered. Tick tock.

A fair result tbh against a side looking for a play off place. Long way to go to avoid another relegation. I'm convinced we will beat the drop

Game over before it even started. At what point does the Manger make a "brave" decision to mix youth and experience. If we lose again, and I have no reason to think we will, at what point does it click. Picking the same players expecting different results is, hear me out, insanity. And no, the tin pot cup doesn't count. I hope we win, play well etc but history says otherwise. Good luck to the traveling fans and players.
Put this comment on repeat until someone makes a bold, brave change to the line up. I'm not holding my breath.

We were decent at home to Birmingham but their defence was far too strong easily coping with our attacks.
We were very good at home to Huddersfield, very dominant but struggled to create anything clear cut.

In general play we’re quite good (this bodes well for the season) but chance creation is just not happening (which could mean a season of struggle).

i'm going to call you out on the two home games.

We were decent in the 2/3rds of the pitch, passing the ball about between ourselves, but utterly clueless at the business end of the pitch.

Same again today - lots on meaningless possession and doing absolutely nothing in the final third to effect the games. teams are simply sitting in after being told mid week how to play against us.

I've seen one decent cross today from Bogle, right on McB head, a clear connect at that and way over the bar.

We flatter to deceive, passing easy balls between defence and midfield, like today. Some pretty triangles to create a player in space, then that space that has been created for a player results in a breakdown of the movement the further up the pitch we get.

We have zero players who are prepared to try and beat a 1 on 1 situation, which results in the move breaking down as teams pull players behind the ball (against a last season Prem team).

We are devoid of the ability or skill to break down a team that sits in - Birmingham did it, but broke with purpose and put in decent crosses - Huddersfield just sat in and waited for a chance, which comes in any game with any team - as it did with Luton today.

Luton (for me) did the same today - defend well, in numbers when out of possession and came forward when needed and with better chances than we had.

This team is going through SJ motions against teams that are well drilled and schooled and we haven't a clue how to break them down.

It saddens me greatly as to what we have become - too slow, too ponderous, not adventurous, don't even attempt 1 on 1 situations - it all means we are simply not good enough with the players we have to play the way SJ wants. 68% possession away from home should have resulted in more than what we saw today.

UTB

Back
Top Bottom