What the chuff is going on?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

robbiez666

Reaction score
The silence is deafening at the moment. We have a 35 year old here that we're supposedly meant to be signing and yet despite being in Sheffield since the weekend, nothing. There's all kind of rumours of players up for sale or making transfer request and in terms of being linked with players there's next to nothing apart from one or two long shots.

I don't get it.

Our wages will be high for the division but that's partly what the parachute payments are for. Billy, McGoldrick, Moose, Bash, Osborn, Robinson, Freeman all drop off at the end of the season. There are no FFP issues as far as I'm aware as we've just come down.

We're going to make a loss, sure, but again that's what the the parachute payments and wage reductions are for. But, the Prince has stated that we've paid off most of the money for players we signed in the first year of the PL (instead of spreading them over 3 years as normal), so that money isn't necessarily taken up with transfers.

We need to move some players on but this is not going to happen with first team squaders unless we subsidise loans or transfers (Berge aside). We seem to be demanding remarkably high loan fees which I don't understand. Sure, for Lowe, fine. He's a fairly established Championship footballer. But the kids?

Whatever the case, the 'one in, one out' only makes sense if we have a full squad. We do not (as players left in summer). We need a first choice keeper regardless and we seem to be hoping that no one else bids for Olsen and he prefers to come here than stay in Rome or the often injured Randolph is deemed surplus to requirements. We need midfielders as a priority as well. And wide forwards. Regardless of sales.

The kicker here is that we're seemingly mostly chasing loans so it's not like we'd be making a long-term wage commitment or laying down a huge outlay.

We've been relegated since March and yet leaving everything to the last minute.

What an absolute mess.

• Banned
Who's handed in a transfer request?

Bi-weekly rumours of Berge or Brewster putting in requests, but could be nonsense. Given the silence from the club it's hard to try and work out what is going on.

Maybe, but just maybe the Prince isn't actually that good at running a football club? Certainly an English one.

I'm willing to be proved wrong and I sincerely hope we get some signings (Worthwhile signings) through the door.
I think we will actually. But instead of it being 4 or 5. Wouldn't be surprised if it's 1 or 2.

If we make only 1 or 2 or worst 0. Should SJ continue to struggle to pick up results he will resign. 2 months in and I reckon the frustration is already evident again (Manager and owner/board) when really at this point it should be at it's most open and friendly.

The silence is deafening at the moment. We have a 35 year old here that we're supposedly meant to be signing and yet despite being in Sheffield since the weekend, nothing. There's all kind of rumours of players up for sale or making transfer request and in terms of being linked with players there's next to nothing apart from one or two long shots.

I don't get it.

Our wages will be high for the division but that's partly what the parachute payments are for. Billy, McGoldrick, Moose, Bash, Osborn, Robinson, Freeman all drop off at the end of the season. There are no FFP issues as far as I'm aware as we've just come down.

We're going to make a loss, sure, but again that's what the the parachute payments and wage reductions are for. But, the Prince has stated that we've paid off most of the money for players we signed in the first year of the PL (instead of spreading them over 3 years as normal), so that money isn't necessarily taken up with transfers.

We need to move some players on but this is not going to happen with first team squaders unless we subsidise loans or transfers (Berge aside). We seem to be demanding remarkably high loan fees which I don't understand. Sure, for Lowe, fine. He's a fairly established Championship footballer. But the kids?

Whatever the case, the 'one in, one out' only makes sense if we have a full squad. We do not (as players left in summer). We need a first choice keeper regardless and we seem to be hoping that no one else bids for Olsen and he prefers to come here than stay in Rome or the often injured Randolph is deemed surplus to requirements. We need midfielders as a priority as well. And wide forwards. Regardless of sales.

The kicker here is that we're seemingly mostly chasing loans so it's not like we'd be making a long-term wage commitment or laying down a huge outlay.

What an absolute mess.
Parachute payments are meant to cover those costs which continue even though a club has been relegated from the Premier League.
They're not supposed to be free money to allow teams to improve their squads

Maybe, but just maybe the Prince isn't actually that good at running a football club? Certainly an English one.

I'm willing to be proved wrong and I sincerely hope we get some signings (Worthwhile signings) through the door.
I think we will actually. But instead of it being 4 or 5. Wouldn't be surprised if it's 1 or 2.

If we make only 1 or 2 or worst 0. Should SJ continue to struggle to pick up results he will resign. 2 months in and I reckon the frustration is already evident again (Manager and owner/board) when really at this point it should be at it's most open and friendly.
My worry is that something went badly wrong before Christmas and the lack of January or summer signings has to do with more than just balancing the books. There's a whole lot of infrastructure investment needed, both in the training ground and the scouting as well.

Whilst watching the Big Match Revisited today from 1974-75 (we beat Carlisle) I had a horrible feeling that history could definitely repeat itself. We went into freefall after that season. An ageing squad, little to no investment, drifting along. I hope I’m wrong, I really do but the evidence is stark in my book. If we do not get anybody in by 31st August I really will fear for us. Slav will walk and Heckingbottom will be brought back as Caretaker. I get the feeling that the board wish they hadn’t appointed Slav and went for the cheapo option instead. They are hoping he will walk to avoid paying him off. I may be talking bollocks (which I do) but nothing surprises me with United.

Slav's pre-match interview pretty much sums it up for me.

Reading between the lines it came across as when he joined he was told he could make some recruitments. The board then backtracked and told him he had to make do with what he has.

After the poor start where the squad have picked up where they left off last season, Slav's now gone to the board and told them that he needs 4-5 players and they've reluctantly agreed to back him. Unfortunately they've agreed too late and we're now behind as the identified targets are talking to other clubs who are ahead in negotiations, so we're back to square one, trying to find players to sign but with little time on our hands before the window shuts as the board left it too late to meet Slav's needs.

At least, that's how it came across to me.

Slav's pre-match interview pretty much sums it up.

Readind between the lines it came across as when he joined he was told he could make some recruitments. The board then backtracked. After the poor start where the squad have picked up where they left off last season, Slav's now gone to the board and told them that he needs 4-5 players and they've reluctantly agreed to back hi.. Unfortunately they've agreed too late and we're now behind as the identified targets are talking to other clubs so we're back to square one, trying to find players to sign but with little time on our hands as the board left it too late to meet Slav's needs.

At least, that's how it came across to me.
And how is your track record regards Reading between the lines

And how is your track record regards Reading between the lines
I'm not saying I'm right, but listen to his interview and he says they've left it too late as we're a month behind on identifying targets. This is my interpretation based on how the interview comes across. Have a listen and put your own interpretation down if you don't agree.

I'm not saying I'm right, but listen to his interview and he says they've left it too late as we're a month behind on identifying targets. This is my interpretation based on how the interview comes across. Have a listen and put your own interpretation down if you don't agree.
We haven't left it too late, we are not tge only clubs after certain players, if we were then the players would be worse than what we have

My worry is that something went badly wrong before Christmas and the lack of January or summer signings has to do with more than just balancing the books. There's a whole lot of infrastructure investment needed, both in the training ground and the scouting as well.
Thing is training ground improvements or money should have been ringfenced when we got promoted, Wilder spoke about training ground improvements nearly as soon as we were promoted.
Whilst it's admirable that maybe the Prince's plans are bigger (Rumours of Lightwood) than what was proposed 14months ago at Shirecliffe sometimes you have to make stop gaps too. You can do alot with portacabins and whatnot for short term use to improve some facilities for example. I mean the plans they drew up looked good but weren't massive in terms of scale. I think that's why Norwood has questioned what is happening regards this too.

In terms of signings you'd think we would be one of the bigger spenders in the league but should the finances not be as lavish a we think they should be you have to fish in the pond you can afford and still bring in fresh blood.

My worry is that despite what the Prince said that they want the manager to decide who they want to sign is that in actual fact the board knows best regards wages, prices, and calibre of player especially post Wilder era.

We haven't left it too late, we are not tge only clubs after certain players, if we were then the players would be worse than what we have
I think that's what Slav was saying. That he identified targets two months ago but the board refused to get the cheque book out. Now that they've finally said yes those targets are already talking to other clubs and we're not likely to sign them. So we're now back to identifying new targets with a week to go before the windows shuts and the new targets are already likely to be in talks and have been for the last month, so we've left it too late as the board only agreed to back him this week.

Again, that's how it comes across to me listening to his pre-match interview.

I think that's what Slav was saying. That he identified targets two months ago but the board refused to get the cheque book out. Now that they've finally said yes those targets are already talking to other clubs and we're not likely to sign them. So we're now back to identifying new targets with a week to go before the windows shuts and the new targets are already likely to be in talks and have been for the last month, so we've left it too late as the board only agreed to back him this week.

Again, that's how it comes across to me listening to his pre-match interview.
Again it's not as simple as not getting the cheque book out, let's use Garner as an example, we register our interest, so do 3/4 other clubs, Garner didn't sign his contract/extension at ManU, ManU say sorry he isn't going anywhere until its signed, player and agent take days deciding pris/considering re signing, he does then sign, Man U say okay your online we had 4 offers, 2 meet the criteria we want, where do you want to go? Again players and agent takes days deciding and why not, he goes to Forest, team he knows manager he knows, it might have taken 2 weeks but it had nothing to do with our cheque book

I don't get it.

What an absolute mess.
Can’t disagree mate. There is still time but I am expecting the worst with no signings.

Nobody knows what's going on. Chat shit, get clip.

Y

I don't get it.

What an absolute mess.
You mentioned here that we’re going to make a loss, but yet you assume that there should be more funds to spend to make an even bigger loss. Out of interest, are you an accountant by any chance?

Y

You mentioned here that we’re going to make a loss, but yet you assume that there should be more funds to spend to make an even bigger loss. Out of interest, are you an accountant by any chance?

1. The parachute payment and the sale of Ramsdale should surely cover that loss?
2. All Championship clubs make a loss

Back
Top Bottom