Match Thread West Bromwich Albion v. Sheffield United - 18th August 2021

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

WES
WES
WES

Final

Final
Final
SUFC
SUFC
SUFC
Status
Ratings for this match closed
  • Admin
1629190988643.png v. 1629190996312.png
Championship Week 3 - Wednesday 18th August 2021 - 20:00 - The Hawthorns

Please keep all discussion related to the match within this thread.

Matchday Stats/Player Ratings - https://www.s24su.com/forum/match-day/match/west-bromwich-albion-vs-sheffield-united.554/

Officials:

Referee:
Matthew Donohue
Assistant Referee: Richard Wild
Assistant Referee: Steven Meredith
Fourth Official: John Busby

Away Fans Guide: https://www.wba.co.uk/fans/matchdays-more/away-supporters-guide

Coverage:

Follow via S24SU Twitter
: https://twitter.com/s24su

📺
Live TV Coverage
:

1629190759428.png

SUTV Live - https://live.sufc.co.uk/

The cheek of people to slag him off. Every time he plays he tries to attack at least. “But it’s only doncaster. But it’s only carlisle”. What’s he meant to do when we never play him??
I agree mate. He’s a tried and tested championship player who has (maybe last season apart) been standout every season. He’s bright, inventive and probably just as importantly, not part of the shit show last season.

Terrible. Embarrassing. Pathetic. And that's just Slav

What the fuck was that. No one in their right mind would have set up against West Brom like that. Launching long balls against land of the giants. slow lumbering ogres vs slow lumbering midgets. Absolute joke from start to finish. WBA were crap as well.

Verrips - 1 - Terrible. Came and missed on several occasions. Gifting them two goals. Weak. Zero determination to get the ball. Looked shaky all night. Even the one he saved he could easily have caught and made a meal of it. If our choice of keepers is going to be him and League 1 Wes we're relegation fodder.
Robinson - 3 - Did a nice control on his chest, turn and clearance. 1 mark. Wasn't the worst defender but rubbish
Egan - 3 - Sorry, thought he was weak and shirked responsibility at the back. Not winning areal battles. Hardly challenging. Not good enough. Some terrible distribution as well.
Basham - 2 - Appalling. so weak. So slow to make a decision. A mistake waiting to happen.
Osborn - 4 - Simply for the fact he gave a shit and actually put a shift in. Otherwise pretty poor. Tried to get down the line but no midfield doesn't help him
Baldock - 3 - Defensively poor. some bad choices. Looked a bit better later on. Actually trying at least.
Fleck - 0 - actually didn't see him do anything whatsoever until about the 84 minute where he passed it sideways. May as well have not been there.
Norwood - 2 - Poor but at least always showing for the ball and trying. Zero protection for the defence. Set pieces not great.
Stretch Norwood - 1 - Like a wet lettuce. Absolutely no bottle. Loses every 50/50. Takes so long to do anything when on the ball. Pointless off the ball.
McGoldrick - 1 - Sorry, he has missed so many chances over the last 3 years it can't go on. Needs to be on the bench. I really don't care who for.
Billy Sharp - 2 - Billy Sharp's a bit. Unless you put chances on his boot not much use anymore. We don't.

Subs:

McBurnie - 5 - Actually wanted to be there. Ran around, dropped, tried things, had a late leader. Laid a couple of good balls off
Burke - 0 - fuck me
Freeman - 4 - The only midfielder who was trying to make things happen. Lots of good intention, dire execution. But better than the starting 3 put together tonight.

Slav - 0 - Terrible team selection. Inept. Clueless. Set us up to lose and we lost. Sorry, that was nowhere near good enough.

WBA didn't even play well. If they'd played well we'd have been looking at double figures.
Spot on

He’ Warnockesqe, they will do well this season but then they will get found out, wouldn’t like to cross him though.
Anyway i think we will finish higher than them
Exactly that. Against a good ball playing team that plays quick passing football, they will struggle, set pieces as side.

Luke Freeman has done more in 15 minutes than John Fleck has done in 15 months.
It’s only a guess but I suspect Fleck enjoyed himself too much in that first lockdown and hasn’t really stopped. No other reasonable explanation for the complete lack of form and effort since then, apart from the massive contract we gave him that has probably set him up for life. Pay him off, he’s finished.

Last edited:
Will he be able to throw it to the front post … their main tactic ?
And why the hell does the referee allow him so much time to dry the ball ?
Must have taken 5 minutes of the match up

Could tell we were gonna get spanked by the body language of the players in the tunnels before kick off, sharp had a right face on

I have refrained from saying this… but please fuck off Norwood
Pardon ?
You kidding right ?
Wilder gave me this contract + I ain't getting anywhere near this money anywhere else at this stage !
Nor is my pal Fleck.
Or , in fact , the rest of the squad.
So , if you don't mind , we'll all just put our feet up here , thanks very much

Despite not being mcburnies biggest fan, he has to start next game. We also need to start Freeman, Davies and Bogle.

If we want to play a 3 up top then we desperately need wide attacking players with pace to play it (not converted strikers).

We also need some players with bite to replace the Lurpak midfield we have at the moment
This is the issue for me - our players are completely unsuited to the formation Slav is trying to play. We don’t have wide forwards and our (few) midfielders are lightweight and easily bullied. Pathetic from the team tonight

There's a lot more to that side than a long throw, they beat us easily long throw or not
Personally just think West Brom are a team of cloggers and hoofers- but they’re very effective at it but will be surprised they’ll be able to keep it up all season, so far only Fulham I have seen look genuine prem material.

Freeman had a go but other than that struggling to find any positives.

Last season we quite literally hit rock bottom which should have been a wake up call regards personnel.

I never quite got my head round lockdown and no fans being harder on teams like us. The argument just doesn't stand up when we consider the support they have received since we returned - there was a wall of noise to greet them against Birmingham.

Pissed as I am right now I will still be getting behind them next time out.

UTB

It’s only a guess but I suspect Fleck hit the bottle in that first lockdown and hasn’t really stopped. No other reasonable explanation for the complete lack of form and effort since then, apart from the massive contract we gave him that has probably set him up for life. Pay him off.
Too many comfortable players on fat contracts still thinking they’re playing in the ‘pally’ Chris Wilder Sunday League set up that he ran at the Lane. Enough is enough. Either shape up sharpish or fuck off.

This is the issue for me - our players are completely unsuited to the formation Slav is trying to play. We don’t have wide forwards and our (few) midfielders are lightweight and easily bullied. Pathetic from the team tonight
Absolutely. Watford and Fulham had quick tricky players out wide and hit teams at pace. I thought this when we brought him in and assumed that would be the focus of signings. Oh wait...

I agree mate. He’s a tried and tested championship player who has (maybe last season apart) been standout every season. He’s bright, inventive and probably just as importantly, not part of the shit show last season.
Completely agree - I didn’t think he looked out of place in the prem either, but there seems to be a narrative that he’s shit and out of shape. Look at our goal vs palace in 19/20, no player would pick the ball up and drive the way he did there. Only number 10 in our entire squad and we refuse to play him there. Not to mention his attitude and effort seems decent considering the way we’ve overlooked him for two years

This is terrible, WBA are beating us in third gear. Make no mistake, this squad is plenty good enough to get promoted, this manager and his grey personality is killing us.
Worst comment I’ve seen all night, how can you say this squad is good enough after THAT performance, the midfield is totally inept and we have ZERO players that can create chances and run at defenders.

Pardon ?
You kidding right ?
Wilder gave me this contract + I ain't getting anywhere near this money anywhere else at this stage !
Nor is my pal Fleck.
Or , in fact , the rest of the squad.
So , if you don't mind , we'll all just put our feet up here , thanks very much
Then please do so. Put your feet up, at home or on the bench at least. Just don’t come near the first 11 unless you can do something productive and not nesh out of a tackle.

Back
Top Bottom