Doncaster 0 United 4 - report/ratings

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Deadbat

Reaction score
View from the sofa. Enjoyed that. Would have gladly paid £5 if I had done 😉. Fair play those that went too. Even after so long away I'm not a friendly man 🤣 really so resisted urge to go but fantastic to see a packed Blades away end so fair dos 👏

---

Useful workout tonight and an easy win. We won at a canter and could have been a lot more. We had all the possession and dominated in terms of territory and chances.

Donny were dire. Absolutely awful. Not sure if they had any missing. Louis Reed playing v Berge was somewhat of a mismatch! They had Omer Bogle but few others I heard of. Donny had 3 or 4 triallists and one went off with a nasty early injury. They had a few tame shots but never really got through us all night.

United were miles better all game and it was men v boys really. Hard to really analyse style we played as we changed it both halves formation and how we played it but one constant was possession, possession, possession and we constantly recycle it around but it goes forward much more when we get into the last third. It is almost like we lulled them into thinking we were keeping it for keeping sake and then bang we spring it dorwardxquicjer or someone penetrates. It was patient a lot of the time but then suddenly we move it forward quicker and go through the thirds more than wide. Will take time to get used to that after going down the flanks and working on overloads. At times it is patient and fans need to realise its about possession stuff.

First half 4-3-3 with Didz, Mousset and Burke quite fluent where they operated in the 3.

Berge strolled it and Donny could not get near him. Mousse looked up for it. Burke scored but was on the whole appalling with bad touch and finishing. Thought Fleck looked more like his old self. The defence was not really tested but Osborn in particular did well - getting forward even in a 4. Still not convinced by Jack Robibson as a starter. We need more physicality at this level as lots of crosses will come in.

1st goal just a terrible error from the keeper. Burke could not miss an open goal although he then did 2nd half. The second goal was all about Berge and a great driving run, although Oabirn did well to keep alive and Mousset buried it. The third was a nice run and ball from Fleck but Mousset finished calmly.

Second half saw us put Bash on and we went to a 5-3-2. Berge and Mousset the best players went off. It became bitty with the number of changes but we still were superior.

Brewster came on but he looks shot confidence wise. Missed a few easy chances and his touch was off again. Jebbison in contrast looked fast, confident and brimming with enthusiasm. Really impressed and seems to have grown height wise...must be 6'5'' now?

Robinson hit the bar with a header and we had a few other chances but then we brought lots of kids on. Game was pestering out before Freeman scored after good work from Brunt and then Bogle.

Ramsdale 7/10 - Nothing to do other than one easy save and then working on his distribution and he was playing lots of passes out with his feet and at speed. Wonder whether he will be here by the end of August? Hope so.

Baldock 6.5/10 - Had a few Mondays where he gave his man too much space but got forward well and was usual energetic self.

Osborn 7.5/10 - Orthodox left back. Got up and down and was involved in a fair few attacks including the 2nd goal.

Egan 7/10 - Solid enough. Little to do really. One player heard no rumours about teams being after him?

Robinson 6/10 - Few silly fouls and not sure of him in a two. Think we need an upgrade here myself.

Norwood 7/10 - One giveaway bit steady enough put under little pressure. Tried to move it faster.

Fleck 7/10 - He seemed up for it and drifted through the midfield and jinked and probed. Tried to pass it forward much more. Great assist on the 3rd.

Berge 8.5/10 - 45 minutes of domination. Got on the ball, shrugged weak players off and played short/long passes. 2nd goal just drove through and they could not hold him. Came off HT. Not sure we will see much of him as feel he is probably not wanting to stay in the Championship.

McGoldrick 6.5/10 - Bits of pieces of quality as he linked play but a few times things did not come off. He moved across the front line not just playing deep but dropped 2nd half more.

Burke 5/10 - Yes he scored a simple goal but he was poor. He put effort in but the ball bounced off him or ran into blind alleys. His pace means he does offer an outlet. Missed an absolute sitter 2nd half blasting over from the penalty spot.

Mousset 8/10 - Looked up for it. Ran around, showed for the ball short and also made good rubs. Finished the goals well and nearly had a few more. Hopefully he can get/stay fit. Talent wise he clearly is an asset but we have been herd before and he normally cannot stay on the grass.

Subs...loads of them

All below played all 2nd half...

Foderingham 5.5/10 - Little to do. One easy save and then missed a punch when he sort of pawed it up in the air when he came out. Assume he played as Verrips got injured in the warm up as he was named sub.

Basham 7/10 - Typical Bash energy and Bix of tricks. Played wide right centre back in a 3.

Brewster 4/10 - A few ok link ups but often runs into the wrong areas or does not link with others. His touch was poor too. Tried to close down and run around. Missed one awful header right in front of goal and another near the end when Jebbison kind of went for it too.

Others came on around 67-68 mins ish...

Jebbison - Looked really fast and covered a lot if ground. He was involved in lots of good link ups and looked far more of a threat than Brewster.

Freeman - Scored which was good he got in the box. Think it came off his shoulder/chest! He played on the left side of a 3 in midfield but was well forward too. A few decent bits mixed with some sloppy. Not sure he is mobile enough to be a regular in a pressing style Jokanovic wants.

Lopata- Huge academy polish centre back...looked massive!

Lowe - Untroubled but saw little of him attacking wise. Still think RND, Enda and now Osborn will be ahead of him. One we could let go for me.

Gordon - Always looks a good footballer when I see him and a decent athlete. Depends if we play a 2 or a 3 on the chances he may get.

Seriki - Came on and got forward a fair but but went off with a knock maybe?

Slater - Steady although we did not dominated midfield as much. One good shot well saved at the end.

Brunt - Busy and think it was him involved in the assist to the assist for the 4th. Nice to see him get action. Might be me but like Slater's Dad criticising the club, not sure it's a good look for Brunt's Dad to make a comment about if he will get any actual action pre game.

Bogle- Came on for last 15. Best if three right wing/full backs. Well advanced and set up the 4th and had other moments where he was in the box.

Got to say I very much enjoyed that. Great to be back at an away game, it's been far too long.
Largely agree with your ratings, maybe a little harsh on Burke, who I thought was good in the first half. Second half he was back to not understanding how to kick a ball though.

Berge was unbelievable though. He looked like an adult taking part in a kids game.

Jebbison at 18 years old gives us something we currently don't have in the squad. 6 foot 5 dominant in the air target man. Pacy and skilful in possession and knows where to make the runs behind the defence. I really hope he's given a chance over the next few weeks to prove he's an option for the first team squad rather than sending him out on loan.

Lopata at 6 foot 4 also doesn't look out of place and could provide the cover needed for Egan.

Fleck looked up for it because in Mousset he had someone in front of him making the forward runs that were missing last season.

We need to get a LCB in as a priority but its promising that even when the youngsters came on second half they kept up the intensity.

Just got in. Starting 11 were good bar Fleck who was coasting and Norwood who was poor. Too many subs to be judgemental second half but the youngsters did ok. Jebbison was lively but missed a sitter and Brewster wasn't lively and missed a sitter. I worry for Brewster. Toss up between Berge and Mcgoldrick for MOM. Oh, and fuck Sheffield parkway.

What's this about Brunt and Slater's dad's?
Slater's Dad tweeted about a month ago....something about the club should let him go (Regan).

Brunt Sr tweeted tonight about his lad maybe getting a kick tonight

Just unnecessary in my opinion. These are young pro footballers at a huge club. It's not u12s football where Dad's can ask for their Johnny to play or they are moving him clubs.

Comes across as embarrassing and totally unhelpful to their sons to bleat publically. Say stuff privately by all means.

Just my take on it. Maybe I misread the Brunt Sr tweet and he was just wanting to see him play and nothing sinister in it but you would surely put 'Hope our lad gets on' or 'gets some minutes'

Slater's Dad tweeted about a month ago....something about the club should let him go (Regan).

Just unnecessary in my opinion. These are young pro footballers at a huge club. It's not u12s football where Dad's can ask for their Johnny to play or they are moving him clubs.

Comes across as embarrassing and totally unhelpful to their sons to bleat publically. Say stuff privately by all means.

Just my take on it. Maybe I misread the Brunt Sr tweet and he was just wanting to see him play and nothing sinister in it but you would surely put 'Hope our lad gets on' or 'gets some minutes'
That's the problem, I read that and couldn't see an issue, someone else reads it and 'sees' something else, that's the minefield of social media

I think it was a very light hearted comment based on him travelling to Spain but not getting on the pitch. Could be wrong but I don’t think it’s the same as Slaters family gobbing off every now and again.

I think it was a very light hearted comment based on him travelling to Spain but not getting on the pitch. Could be wrong but I don’t think it’s the same as Slaters family gobbing off every now and again.

I think as Hagansbootlaces says though a comment like that can be interpreted differently. Also, him going to Spain and not playing is up to the manager? We only played one game over there?

I just think in pro football Dad's going on social media and commenting on their lads game time or future is not the smartest idea. If that was my Dad I'd be telling him to shut the f up!

Just got in. Starting 11 were good bar Fleck who was coasting and Norwood who was poor. Too many subs to be judgemental second half but the youngsters did ok. Jebbison was lively but missed a sitter and Brewster wasn't lively and missed a sitter. I worry for Brewster. Toss up between Berge and Mcgoldrick for MOM. Oh, and fuck Sheffield parkway.
Queued for ages to come off at junction 33 only to find the Parkway was closed so had to go up to 34! Would have gone down to J30 if I'd have known!

I agree, keep yer gob shut ....if he's good enough he will get there ......

I think as Hagansbootlaces says though a comment like that can be interpreted differently. Also, him going to Spain and not playing is up to the manager? We only played one game over there?

I just think in pro football Dad's going on social media and commenting on their lads game time or future is not the smartest idea. If that was my Dad I'd be telling him to shut the f up!
I completely agree. But Twitter/Facebook has given every man a voice I guess, plus the belief that their opinion counts for something.

Who’s dad was it that used to post on here stirring things up?

I completely agree. But Twitter/Facebook has given every man a voice I guess, plus the belief that their opinion counts for something.

Louie Reeds.

It's bad enough reading a comment, and not having the opportunity to hear the tone of voice, easy to assume one thing, respond and get a reply saying they didn't mean it like that.
It's even worse on twitter with its combination of limited number of words/characters and loads of people with a habit of text speak.
I read kick as shorthand for 'gets on the pitch' , 'gets a game' , ' gets a runout' , ' gets a chance to show what he can do' ,, likewise I can see people assuming it's a dig, because it's so short or abrupt

Yep
It's bad enough reading a comment, and not having the opportunity to hear the tone of voice, easy to assume one thing, respond and get a reply saying they didn't mean it like that.
It's even worse on twitter with its combination of limited number of words/characters and loads of people with a habit of text speak.
I read kick as shorthand for 'gets on the pitch' , 'gets a game' , ' gets a runout' , ' gets a chance to show what he can do' ,, likewise I can see people assuming it's a dig, because it's so short or abrupt
Yep. Don't see any maliciousness or nastiness with the tweet myself. People just get offended over literally nothing these days.

It seems like Slav has let the shackles off and given players more freedom to be creative?
Remains to be seen if that freedom will be allowed to flourish in a more competitive environment. At least he got a good look at those who flattered to deceive last season.
If this is the kind of approach to games that will be encouraged, I’m in.
Bring on Norwich. That will be a better test of management style and players application. Looking forward to it already.

Possession is what Slav’s previous clubs say he’s all about. With Berge in the side, that’s very doable for us. But I hope against hope Berge isn’t our new Kevin McDonald moment. Odds suggest it will be, but 🤞.
What, sold at the very last minute, after building the side around him?

Back
Top Bottom