Regan Slater contract extension

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Reaction score

A decent indication of how the summer will pan out. Makes sense as a back-up in midfield.

It’s not beyond the realms of possibility that this lad gets a place in the match day squad on a more regular basis next year, Slav loves an industrious midfielder who can play a pass but who is also energetic enough to win the ball back quickly, we’ve already got someone in Slater who can do those things and is already at the club.

He’s done his ground work in League one and proved himself at that level, now his next step is the Championship, well that’s where we currently find ourselves so why not utilise him? 🤷‍♂️

To use a cliche, let's take a look at him in pre season, give Slav and the coaching staff a chance to see how he's progressed in the last year. We can then take a view whether he'd fit into our squad, or we let him out on loan again. No need to be rushing into decisions in mid June.

Tyler Smith, George Broadbent and Jake Eastwood were not on the released list but we still haven't had any news on them.

It’s not beyond the realms of possibility that this lad gets a place in the match day squad on a more regular basis next year, Slav loves an industrious midfielder who can play a pass but who is also energetic enough to win the ball back quickly, we’ve already got someone in Slater who can do those things and is already at the club.

He’s done his ground work in League one and proved himself at that level, now his next step is the Championship, well that’s where we currently find ourselves so why not utilise him? 🤷‍♂️
I mean, he hardly tore up any trees did he?
Not saying it won't work out for him here, but he's not been a key player at either Hull or Scunny now. Don't mind him being in the squad but wouldn't want him as even second choice next season.

Not saying it won't work out for him here, but he's not been a key player at either Hull or Scunny now. Don't mind him being in the squad but wouldn't want him as even second choice next season.
He started to became key to Hull towards the end of the season when they played him in DCM. Still makes the most sense to sort out a short extension and loan him back. Worse case we sell him next summer to a league one club and make a small return best case he’s proven his ability to play in the Championship.
This is a crunch season for him though which will define if he has a future with us or not.

I feel like Regan is the kind of player we'd have signed in League One, and then we'd have been baffled to why the parent club were even considering letting them leave

Protects our asset, gives SJ a chance to have a look, possibly offers something different to what we have in.

Win, win, win.

Might end up getting shipped out, might end up getting in the first team.

See no negatives at all with this

You might not think he tore any trees up, an holding type of midfielder rarely does, especially in League one but he made 27 appearances in a title winning league one team, how can his next step not be the Championship? Anybody who does that deserves a chance at the very least.

With how our midfield looked last season I wouldn’t write off any of our younger players getting in ahead of them.

Hull want him back straight away, that indicates there’s something to work with in the Championship.

We need to have a look at the very least. It might save us some dosh for another potential key signing? 🤷‍♂️

You might not think he tore any trees up, an holding type of midfielder rarely does, especially in League one but he made 27 appearances in a title winning league one team, how can his next step not be the Championship? Anybody who does that deserves a chance at the very least.

With how our midfield looked last season I wouldn’t write off any of our younger players getting in ahead of them.

Hull want him back straight away, that indicates there’s something to work with in the Championship.

We need to have a look at the very least. It might save us some dosh for another potential key signing? 🤷‍♂️
You can dress stats up how you want mate, but that’s 11 starts. 16 off the bench.

Being involved for Hull with all due respect to them is different to us, we’re in different ball parks at the moment.

That being said I’d keep him for another year and loan him to someone lower down the championship. Like a Hull, for example. See how he does.

You can dress stats up how you want mate, but that’s 11 starts. 16 off the bench.

Being involved for Hull with all due respect to them is different to us, we’re in different ball parks at the moment.

That being said I’d keep him for another year and loan him to someone lower down the championship. Like a Hull, for example. See how he does.
I don’t think he’ll want to go back to league one like some are suggesting, he won’t anyway because Hull want him back, they rate him very highly. The last 4 words in your post are the key ones between now and towards the beginning of the season, we’ll know Slavs intentions a bit more by then regards formations and types of players he’s going for and who we’re getting rid of or selling.

Also i bet half on here unsure if he can do us a job are also the ones who say we are losing our identity on the pitch with going forrin.

Slater is a Blade through and through, give him a chance next season i say, at minimum he'll have the passion for us

I’d assume there are two outcomes

we have exercised this clause and will now sell him or we will negotiate an extra 2 years with him loan him out again to the Championship to see how he gets on

Hull have had a bid accepted and have discussed personal terms but everything on hold until he had been assessed by our management team in pre season
All makes sense to me

nb jist of story recently published in Yorkshire live

Also i bet half on here unsure if he can do us a job are also the ones who say we are losing our identity on the pitch with going forrin.

Slater is a Blade through and through, give him a chance next season i say, at minimum he'll have the passion for us
Great idea, let's throw away our best pre-season chance of promotion since 2005/06 by giving a player with 11 League One starts a major role to play in our midfield, because he's a Blade. Who gives a fuck if he's any good?

PASHUN AND ARD WORK, THATS ALL A WANT.

Regan is quite small isn't he? I would suggest that he lacks any of the physical attributes needed to be a top level midfielder. Doesn't score, doesn't create, can't head, likely to be brushed off the ball easily or run past by top level midfielders. Another Louis Reed or Ben Whiteman for me. Probably become a good lower league pro with a ceiling of League 1 or lower championship. Or if you look at it another way he is blocking the path of one of our other younger U23 player who may have those athletic attributes required. He needs regular first team football.

Great idea, let's throw away our best pre-season chance of promotion since 2005/06 by giving a player with 11 League One starts a major role to play in our midfield, because he's a Blade. Who gives a fuck if he's any good?

Bloody hell bongleblade what you been sniffing? What your saying doesn't make any sense, hardly made an impact at scunthorpe and dull and now you want him in our first team? Bizarre.

a little different to what i said... but ok

I feel like Regan is the kind of player we'd have signed in League One, and then we'd have been baffled to why the parent club were even considering letting them leave
I get that wonder how much the fee is

Wait until we lose to Hull next season :(

Whether he’s ready to start for us with the ambitions we have maybe not. But he was very highly rated coming through at united and was viewed as the best prospect in both ours and wednesday’s academies putting him ahead of hirst in that time frame so I wouldn’t be surprised to see him come good.

Giving him a chance still not playing a major part? He’s either involved or he’s not
imo giving him a chance would look like giving him a start in pre season games, bring him on from the subs bench, see how he fares in the cup... not exactly a major part but give him a chance at being a 1st team squad member

Wilder rated him a few years ago but he stagnated after that .
Going out on loan has worked for him maybe he has something to offer us.
Passion for the blades is a given from him,
the Serb will have to make a decision on his future !hopefully with us

Back
Top Bottom