Wilder willing to return?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

nah mate, I appreciate he's invested HEAVILY to be honest.. Far more investment than mccunt.
Whilst he has invested, we have also had more income then we've ever had.
At the minute I don't think he'll be that much out of pocket at all with the PL money and that includes the purchase of the ground etc. All looks like it's covered with PL money.

I’m still reading about this five man shortlist and that SJ wasn’t on it (or Hecky Thump was). Yet those making the claim don’t seem to actually know who WAS on it.

More guesswork without even a “someone high up told me” claim.

Who is Biggs putting forward today btw?

I’m still reading about this five man shortlist and that SJ wasn’t on it (or Hecky Thump was). Yet those making the claim don’t seem to actually know who WAS on it.

More guesswork without even a “someone high up told me” claim.

Who is Biggs putting forward today btw?

Sean, Have a read of Darren Smiths account on Twitter - very informative - if not on Twitter then I am sure somebody on here can relate it.

For me all depends on his relationship with the dressing room. Does he still hold the trust and respect of the players. It seemed to me that when he left the players were all still playing for him and since he left has been quite clear they are not playing for Hecky. CW has made mistakes on the recruitment front but equally I don’t think there was an proper scouting network. If he came back he would have to acknowledge his mistakes and there would need to be clear guidelines for recruitment agreed by him and the club. Not sure he would accept this but if he did I would have him back.
." It seemed to me that when he left the players were all still playing for him and since he left has been quite clear they are not playing for Hecky.'

Really? How can you tell the difference?

Sean, Have a read of Darren Smiths account on Twitter - very informative - if not on Twitter then I am sure somebody on here can relate it.

Just read it. Doesn’t really say much IMO. He closed off his other account because he couldn’t handle people suggesting he knew very little and just posted his opinions. There’s nothing on there that hasnt been discussed on here. Some of them were pretty ridiculous iirc. Looks like the same modus operandi, “look at me”.

The kiss and make up rumours are gathering some pace and potentially a bit of substance. Fingers crossed!

As for those with short memories, he'd be perfect for the championship, I can think of noone better.

And those saying don't have him anywhere near recruitment? I get that, to a degree - but that was Wilder trying to learn how to adapt to PL life and how to spend at PL level. We were all learning together, regardless of the sums spent. We didn't get it right, but neither did West Brom, Fulham (again!), Norwich before them, Huddersfield before them...etc, etc. Even Villa, for all their millions and the 'gone to Villa' threads came within one goal of cocking it up entirely, the season before. PL recruitment isn't easy to adapt to. No matter who you are.

But that's irrelevant now anyway, what we're looking at is Championship recruitment and spending what we have wisely. Many have selective memories, I can think of noone better than the man who brought us O'Connell, Egan, Norwood, Baldock, Fleck, Duffy, Henderson, and revitalised Basham, Coutts and Freeman. I think he's more than proven his credentials...

Last edited:
For me all depends on his relationship with the dressing room. Does he still hold the trust and respect of the players. It seemed to me that when he left the players were all still playing for him and since he left has been quite clear they are not playing for Hecky. CW has made mistakes on the recruitment front but equally I don’t think there was an proper scouting network. If he came back he would have to acknowledge his mistakes and there would need to be clear guidelines for recruitment agreed by him and the club. Not sure he would accept this but if he did I would have him back.

This would be the main sticking point along with broken promises re infrastructure and sales.

The main sticking point will be the fact that he resigned.

When you quit a job and want it back it’s usually you who has to justify why you should get the job back.

He didn't resign hence the payout. I'm not guessing.

That goes against what every single person with knowledge of the situation has said.

The payout was to prevent the constructive dismissal bullshit rearing its ugly head and to buy Wilders silence.

Wanting to leave due to broken promises and radical changes to your job description do not a resignation make. You resign, you get diddly squat. The board and Chris mutually decided that a parting of the was mutually desirable. I have this first hand.

Wanting to leave due to broken promises and radical changes to your job description do not a resignation make. You resign, you get diddly squat. The board and Chris mutually decided that a parting of the was mutually desirable. I have this first hand.
Because he'd already tried to leave twice

Semantics then if this is true. He wanted out and he and his advisers were smart enough to make it mutual consent, benefitting both parties as Wilder shut his mouth and got paid.

Same point ensues: he wanted to leave, he left, the big obstacle is getting the board to take him back. Because I assume they ain’t changing the job description to accommodate him at this point.

I wonder if the pay off was the equivalent of wages to the end of the season IF CW was to come back then he’d keep his pay off and start afresh BUT I do think this rumour is pie in the sky although there’s been many a manager that’s ‘gone back’ Howard Kendall did it 3 times at Everton.

Semantics then if this is true. He wanted out and he and his advisers were smart enough to make it mutual consent, benefitting both parties as Wilder shut his mouth and got paid.

Same point ensues: he wanted to leave, he left, the big obstacle is getting the board to take him back. Because I assume they ain’t changing the job description to accommodate him at this point.

The board wanted him out equally as he no longer fit the new job description. Chris was no longer the man for the job from both sides. I'm guessing that they'd have preferred a resignation but that was highly unlikely given the circumstances. In the end they got out really cheaply given Chris's contract.

The board wanted him out equally as he no longer fit the new job description. Chris was no longer the man for the job from both sides. I'm guessing that they'd have preferred a resignation but that was highly unlikely given the circumstances. In the end they got out really cheaply given Chris's contract.

Relegation and the money frittered away on some of the players we have signed doesn’t strike me as getting out cheaply, but ok.

So results had nothing to do with him resigning and he didn't try to quit after the Palace game in January?

Relegation and the money frittered away on some of the players we have signed doesn’t strike me as getting out cheaply, but ok.

We've brought in 300 million plus and still have valuable assets on the books, conservatively worth 60-70 million. Not to mention 100 plus million in parachute payments. Very cheaply would be more accurate.

Last edited:
So results had nothing to do with him resigning and he didn't try to quit after the Palace game in January?

He offered his resignation twice in the championship after these type of issues arose. The relegation strategy was drawn up before the start of last season and was changed this season after preliminary meetings when relegation was all but confirmed and infrastructure projects had been reneged on. Displeasure was expressed and common ground wasn't found in the following months. Ultimately the right decision was reached for both parties as CW doesn't fit what they were looking for in their head coach.

I think Wilder was mentally and emotionally shot a couple of months ago. It was his job, his club, his pashun, he'd made expensive mistakes, had to face up to losing every week and bumped into us lot every day.
In any normal situation its goodbye and bring in the next one on the conveyor belt for a couple of years (or months), like Wednesday do. And the former manager gets a different colour tracksuit and a new club
But didn't we think it was different this time? Something a bit unique? Maybe the mistakes (on both sides) that you can agree to and move on. Maybe different rules apply ?
I say yes.

He offered his resignation twice in the championship after these type of issues arose. The relegation strategy was drawn up before the start of last season and was changed this season after preliminary meetings when relegation was all but confirmed and infrastructure projects had been reneged on. Displeasure was expressed and common ground wasn't found in the following months. Ultimately the right decision was reached for both parties as CW doesn't fit what they were looking for in their head coach.
That’s nice but doesn’t answer my question—in fact, seems to evade it deliberately.

Back
Top Bottom