Youth players

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Locker1889

Reaction score
Sure we would all love to see some of the youngens get a look next year, for me norrington-davies, ndiaye and Gordon
(Coulibaly if possible) any thoughts on who can benefit the squad?

There's a few threads covering them if you want to have a search about.
RND I think is a no brainer for the squad next year, if not first team given the form of the many left backs we have on the books. He may even get a shout at LCB is JoC is badly injured as rumour suggests.
Gordon and Ndiaye haven't had any first team exposure yet so I'd suggest are at least a couple of seasons away, Slater is probably the next closest to breaking through in DCM, but I'd be surprised if he future next season isn't at Hull. Him and his dad are certainly supportive of it. Broadbend has also seemingly struggled so maybe a D2 or national league loan could be on the cards if he's kept.

Coulibaly is an interesting one. He's not been anywhere near consistent enough so far in Belgium ranging from incredibly impressive to struggling to get in the side.
All to be expected from a player his age. Interestingly the new rules on foreign player may mean he still does come over in the summer though, as he'll lose his debut season points next year so will need to replace them with significantly more games and probably international recognition if we want him to come over.

Last edited:
Gordon and Ndiaye haven't had any first team exposure yet so I'd suggest are at least a couple of seasons away

Who is Iliman Ndiaye - The Sheffield United youngster making waves

Exactly, they've failed to nail down a first team spot in a side desperate for reinforcements.
Suggests to me that given the path we've laid out for our young players, they're a couple of seasons away from doing that.
A year at L1 and then hopefully Championship would do them all a world of good.

Some of these youngsters are the same age as Bogle, ramsdale and Brewster.
Sort of. Ndaiye (21, born March 2000) is older than Brewster (21, April 2000) and Bogle (20, July 2000) but Ramsdale is two years older (22, May 1998). The other U23s to have made the bench are all younger: Hackford (March 2004) and Maguire (July 2003) are 17, Gordon (May 2002) is 18 and Brunt (November 2001) is 19.

And those youngsters have had glittering youth careers especially Brewster. Rammers has represented England at almost every youth level. Bogle hasn’t but only because England have ridiculous depth at right back in his age group with TAA, James, lamptey and Aarons And was blooded in the championship as an 18 year old. Slightly above them holgate was also playing right back for a time. Brewsters youth career post in terms of individual performance and honours won is almost second to none.

I’m not saying uniteds youngsters don’t have that talent and won’t go on to play at this level a point underscored by the fact rammers was one we picked up. But what I am saying is that to be playing premier league football as a teenager or in your early 20s you need one of 2 things to get a shot preferably both either extensive playing time at lower levels or an exemplary youth career most of uniteds young players at this point in time have neither. The pathway to success for these players is to get them minutes consistently not just off uniteds bench so that when they’re 19,20,21 they have a real shot at staking a claim.

Not sure what the point is? They've not played or proven themselves in the professional men's game.
A couple of coaches have already deemed they're not ready despite us being incredibly desperate.

Exactly, they've failed to nail down a first team spot in a side desperate for reinforcements.
Suggests to me that given the path we've laid out for our young players, they're a couple of seasons away from doing that.
A year at L1 and then hopefully Championship would do them all a world of good.
They haven't nailed down a first team spot but your point was that "they haven't had ANY first team exposure".
Ndiaye hasn't been on the bench for the last 2 games or featured for the U23s so I'm guessing he has picked up an injury.
Perhaps writing them off for 2 seasons is a tad premature.

Brunt is a friend of some of my mates and apparently he’s a massive ego and generally an all around bell end, maybe not the best thing for the dressing room. Main story being he ask my ex and her best mate for a cheeky 3 and used the football card to try convince them into it

Brunt is a friend of some of my mates and apparently he’s a massive ego and generally an all around bell end, maybe not the best thing for the dressing room. Main story being he ask my ex and her best mate for a cheeky 3 and used the football card to try convince them into it

Would that be a midfield 3 ?

I presume it fell flat

They haven't nailed down a first team spot but your point was that "they haven't had ANY first team exposure".
Ndiaye hasn't been on the bench for the last 2 games or featured for the U23s so I'm guessing he has picked up an injury.
Perhaps writing them off for 2 seasons is a tad premature.
No idea where you’ve got the idea that I’m writing them off from. They need to play in the league and they’re very young. I don’t consider sitting on the bench and a couple of minutes first team exposure. First team squad experience maybe but that doesn’t count for much if they’re nowhere near being trusted to play.
I have faith in the process we have in place. Go into the lower leagues and nail down a position, get that experience and make their mistakes which helps them learn and develop, all away from the pressure of our first team, which is waiting for them in a couple of seasons time. Of course some could be fast tracked but these lads haven’t shown themselves to be ready yet, which is perfectly fine. RND has shown them the way.

Last edited:

No idea where you’ve got the idea that I’m writing them off from. They need to play in the league and they’re very young. I don’t consider sitting on the bench and a couple of minutes first team exposure. First team squad experience maybe but that doesn’t count for much if they’re nowhere near being trusted to play.
I have faith in the process we have in place. Go into the lower leagues and nail down a position, get that experience and make their mistakes which helps them learn and develop, all away from the pressure of our first team, which is waiting for them in a couple of seasons time. Of course some could be fast tracked but these lads haven’t shown themselves to be ready yet, which is perfectly fine. RND has shown them the way.
How do you know they aren’t the real deal though? We were really close to sending out Brooks to Chesterfield about 3 months before Bouncing day happened. I think some of these in this crop are potentially the real deal.

How do you know they aren’t the real deal though? We were really close to sending out Brooks to Chesterfield about 3 months before Bouncing day happened. I think some of these in this crop are potentially the real deal.
They've had most of the season with the first team squad and neither of the managers we've have thought they are ready.
As I keep saying we've been desperate for players to bring in, in all the areas these lads play, and still they stayed on the bench.

Again, repeating myself but by saying they aren't ready to start or that they need to get experience doesn't mean they are written off, nor they aren't the real deal.
RND has now played consistently at NL, L1, and now Championship level over the past few seasons. Playing and enjoying their football for a season or two without the pressure of having to play at the very top of the Championship in a side going for promotion would do their confidence and development a world of good. Let them play and enjoy themselves like some of the kids have done with the U23s and 19s and lets see what happens.
Kids coming through and playing first team football at Premier League or Championship level should be the rarity. Players coming through at 22/23 to the first team used to be the expected norm.

Last edited:
But, the same question could be turned around. What evidence do we have that they might be the real deal? The U23s have now qualified for the National Play Offs. Just like the 2015/16 U23s did. The U18s have a tough ask to qualify for the National Play Offs. Remembering that the 2015/16 U18s qualified for the National Play Offs. And, The 2016/17 U18s actually won the National Final. In terms of League Performance, this cohort are doing as well as the mid teens teams. I'm interested in the evidence people are using to judge the current crop.

But, the same question could be turned around. What evidence do we have that they might be the real deal? The U23s have now qualified for the National Play Offs. Just like the 2015/16 U23s did. The U18s have a tough ask to qualify for the National Play Offs. Remembering that the 2015/16 U18s qualified for the National Play Offs. And, The 2016/17 U18s actually won the National Final. In terms of League Performance, this cohort are doing as well as the mid teens teams. I'm interested in the evidence people are using to judge the current crop.
Nail on the head. Two factors really, one the first team is completely out of it so we're naturally drawn to the successes of the youngsters. Secondly, we can afford greater coverage as we're in the PL. So their success is being amplified more so than in other years. Doesn't change much, probably get the same amount of pros from the current bunch, most likely they'll fair similar to how other graduates have bar the usual suspects. Fingers crossed they don't, but Wilder in my opinion was right, they're not good enough currently. That's not to say next season they could do a job in the championship.

And those youngsters have had glittering youth careers especially Brewster. Rammers has represented England at almost every youth level. Bogle hasn’t but only because England have ridiculous depth at right back in his age group with TAA, James, lamptey and Aarons And was blooded in the championship as an 18 year old. Slightly above them holgate was also playing right back for a time. Brewsters youth career post in terms of individual performance and honours won is almost second to none.

I’m not saying uniteds youngsters don’t have that talent and won’t go on to play at this level a point underscored by the fact rammers was one we picked up. But what I am saying is that to be playing premier league football as a teenager or in your early 20s you need one of 2 things to get a shot preferably both either extensive playing time at lower levels or an exemplary youth career most of uniteds young players at this point in time have neither. The pathway to success for these players is to get them minutes consistently not just off uniteds bench so that when they’re 19,20,21 they have a real shot at staking a claim.
Was told last week that Bogle is about to declare for Jamaica reckon they’re pretty much dead certs for qualification for the 2026 World Cup too

Think it’s just blind hope mixed with romanticism

Not Bitter GIFs | Tenor

Was told last week that Bogle is about to declare for Jamaica reckon they’re pretty much dead certs for qualification for the 2026 World Cup too
Wouldn’t be a bad shout for him he’s unlikely to get England recognition unless he gets a move to a top club later in his career. TAA, James and AWB will have it all sewn up as England’s 3 because of the clubs they play for.

He's been in and out of a few clubs already, not a great sign in one so young

He's been in and out of a few clubs already, not a great sign in one so young

Really not that unusual plenty of youngsters bounce around clubs. A teenage lad propositioning some lasses isn’t really a red flag either so long as he respects the boundaries of consent.

Wouldn’t be a bad shout for him he’s unlikely to get England recognition unless he gets a move to a top club later in his career. TAA, James and AWB will have it all sewn up as England’s 3 because of the clubs they play for.

you are right but didn’t TAA get dropped for the last internationals? Still right though.

Aye I'm sure they all hate him

All good until you realise the cheeky 3 was the tea lady and receptionist at Matlock 👀.

I think it's a bit unfair to label the lad through hearsay tbh. He's doing well for the U23s and seems well respected in the squad from what I can tell.

Ive known Zak and his Mum and Dad since he was 5 years old. My son has played with him and against him during this time. Hes a confident lad, but polite and very eager to do well. In my view a top young lad and I would suggest this is complete bollox. :)

did she go ahead with it

Back
Top Bottom