Incoming? Alexander Blessin

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Maybe nieve on my part, but I'd 100% rather have someone on the up and 'unknown' than a merry-go-round name. The thought of Pullis, Hughes, Allardyce etc. being at the helm would ruin my affinity with the club. I'm more interested in the journey, not that fussed about the destination (stagnation in the PL)
In my view there is a middle ground between the 'merry go round ' names that you quote and an unknown/unproven manager and it's from that middle ground we should be appointing. Someone whose done well recently and for a period of time and whose careers is on the up.

The current top six of the championship

Farke - German Non-league / Dortmund B
Xisco - Dinamo Tiblisi
Thomas Frank - Danish Youth
Steve Cooper - English Youth
Valerian Ismael - Austrian/German BL
Paunovic - MLS/ Serbian youth

Years of championship experience before taking over these clubs - 0
Average age - 43
Championship experience is a straw man. It’s experience generally.

Sounds like it is him - all over Twitter. How is everyone’s French?

*+NEWSFLASH+ 13.02 *

Dernières nouvelles - il semble qu'après de rapides négociations, le manager d'Oostend est sur le point de rejoindre le club de Premier League Sheffield United. L'Allemand a bénéficié d'un long apprentissage d'entraîneur en Bundesliga et rejoint maintenant le club depuis la maison de l'acier inoxydable en tant que nouveau manager. La légende belge, Enzo Scifo, a commenté cette décision: "C'est un entraîneur prometteur qui accueillera un passage dans les ligues anglaises. Comme les paroles de la célèbre chanson des fans, il jouit sûrement d'un gallon d'asticots"
Important bit is 4 days ago translated from an article in the daily mail

Championship experience is a straw man. It’s experience generally.
I just want us to move away from the championship experience arguement. No issue with the overall experience question.

The idea of known quantity v unknown quantity implies that by going for the former you remove an element of risk. But I think managerial appointments are always gambles, IMO. You get very few managers who are successful everywhere they go. You can never guarantee success. You just need to find the right man for the role, and at each club that role totally varies - how much money they'll have, whether there are young players coming through to support the squad, what the expectations are, how much squad turnover is needed, the average age of the squad, how much control he'll have over the team + transfers. For that reason, if you think Blessin is the right guy, you go for him. You don't just go for someone with experience. I think a lot of other people have talked about why Blessin ticks a lot of boxes. For me, having the managerial experience, even if it's only a season, is more important than having experience in the UK. He can research the league, and he speaks good English.

It might be a gamble, but managerial appointments always are.
Where I am coming from is that there is no guarantee that someone with a good track record can do well (I agree with you every appointment is a gamble) but a rookie can quickly make a poor situation much worse. That is my fear with this appointment.

Rodley said:
Sounds like it is him - all over Twitter. How is everyone’s French?

*+NEWSFLASH+ 13.02 *

Dernières nouvelles - il semble qu'après de rapides négociations, le manager d'Oostend est sur le point de rejoindre le club de Premier League Sheffield United. L'Allemand a bénéficié d'un long apprentissage d'entraîneur en Bundesliga et rejoint maintenant le club depuis la maison de l'acier inoxydable en tant que nouveau manager. La légende belge, Enzo Scifo, a commenté cette décision: "C'est un entraîneur prometteur qui accueillera un passage dans les ligues anglaises. Comme les paroles de la célèbre chanson des fans, il jouit sûrement d'un gallon d'asticots"

It’s Magnet you Froggy gits - asticots are fucking maggots!! You probably eat them.

This guy has managed 34 professional games, none of which were in the UK.

A very risky appointment if he comes in. I would have preferred someone with an actual track record.
Yeah I think I’m in a similar place, however aside from Howe and Weird Al, I didn’t see anyone who was “better”.
I was put off slightly with Slav’s people ensuring that every mention of interest was accompanied with how expensive he was going to be, best paid in the Championship. He’s not exactly been in huge demand has he?
That all said, I’m excited about this guy from what I know, but I know very little. So long as I can get in to watch, I don’t really care.

Seems like this is happening. It's obviously a gamble, but he has good coaching pedigree and a style of play that I think we will enjoy. And at least he's not John Terry type of big name ex-international who gets a job based solely on their playing career, or one of the usual journeymen on the merry-go-round. I understand the fears about experience to a point, but we've seen experienced managers fail, inexperienced managers succeed and vice versa. There are no guarantees in this.

Seems like this is happening. It's obviously a gamble, but he has good coaching pedigree and a style of play that I think we will enjoy. And at least he's not John Terry type of big name ex-international who gets a job based solely on their playing career, or one of the usual journeymen on the merry-go-round. I understand the fears about experience to a point, but we've seen experienced managers fail, inexperienced managers succeed and vice versa. There are no guarantees in this.
We haven’t seen an inexperienced manager succeed since Ian Porterfield 40 years ago.

And even he had won the title in the division above in his only season.

Most important question re Blessin: does he do the German style celebration ala Klopp at the end of games?! That's something I've always liked but saying that it's not exactly original now!

I'm always cautious of getting carried away as I thought Weir was a decent appointment from the options available, and thought Adkins was a good ambitious move.

Have to say though I'm quite positive and excited about this choice if it goes ahead.

No doubt some will see it as a cheap option and we still have to wait and see what transfer activity takes place.

I'm on the positive side of the fence though as it stands.

Of the names that have been mentioned only Howe and Jokanovic took my eye and I've no idea if they were even attainable.

He's going to be coming in as a head coach rather than manager and looking at the reports his "coaching" not only gets results but sees players improve, something which the majority of wilders signings over the past 18 months haven't done.

I also imagine the contacts with various RB clubs could come in handy with regards to scouting and recruitment.

Definitely more exciting than bilic or Terry I'd say

Sheffield United could appoint Alexander Blessin as their new manager before the end of the season, if reports in Belgium are to be believed.​

Oostende coach Blessin has emerged as a candidate for the permanent role, and reports in Belgium suggest the club are preparing to lose the German soon, perhaps even before the campaign is out.

Yorkshire Post

In fairness of all the shit or bust appointments this one actually has a bit of logic to it, unlike the Weir appointment for example. The Belgian league is barely a top league though let’s be honest, on par with the SPL for the most part. Hopefully it works out.

Let’s just hope he’s not hounded out by the usual suspects after a few losses.

Where I am coming from is that there is no guarantee that someone with a good track record can do well (I agree with you every appointment is a gamble) but a rookie can quickly make a poor situation much worse. That is my fear with this appointment.
Very fair point. With experience you do get people who have been in various situations and therefore have a bit of knowhow on how to tackle them, be it a terrible run of results or underperforming players. I’ve seen precious little on Bessin as a manager and that’s probably the only thing in the back of my mind that’s not letting me get too excited about this.

We haven’t seen an inexperienced manager succeed since Ian Porterfield 40 years ago.

And even he had won the title in the division above in his only season.
Spackman and Bruce were doing well before resigning.

McKewan and Weir are the only other inexperienced managers we have had since then that have done badly.

Jan Van Winckel - Football adviser to the board.

He’s the DoF. There’s just a thing at the moment about not wanting to admit it.

JVW has been inviolved for a while with Wilder and was surely instrumental in signing Berge
Wilder didnt want a DOF
So I dont see anything about JVWs role changing and the owner has said hes not going down the DOF route

Back
Top Bottom