The Contenders

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Those names are almost as worrying as the news that Chris Wilder has gone. The demise of the club begins!

The club have experienced probably 4 or 5 successful managers in the last 50 years. The last successful one has just either walked away, or there's been an engineered push

So looking at history, how long before the next successful manager walks through the door? Meanwhile HRH, you keep up your continued search for the purchase of a football club in every league in Europe, while we support and watch our club go down the pan

PS: As for suitable managers, I'm struggling to think of one tbh. However, it's irrelevant, because I'm expecting someone we've never heard of coming in from Turkey or somewhere. We're on the same path now as the pigs. Foreign owners. foreign advisors. Foreign board and yet to confirm, but probably a foreign manager

Brexit protects us from a Jos Luhakay.

Got to have been at a decent club in a decent league for 3 out of the last 5 years if you want to come over here.

Its either a Maurizio Sarri or a Danny Cowley. No Uzbekistan 5th tier managers by law, although United would probably find a way.

probably won't happen but it's certainly different to some of the names we've heard,maybe it's best he doesn't anyway coz if things go wrong I'll be devasted😉

There is a Manager at the team that is propping up the Championship. His team were always going to struggle but have battled throughout the season. I know I'll get pelters but he is going to move on to bigger and better things. Whether we like him or not he has done a fantastic job at Wycombe and certainly better than some of the tired old names being linked to our vacancy.
Whoever takes over next will always be on a hiding to nothing having to follow on from wilder - might at well put Ainsworth in so we can all have a good vent, then whoever takes over from him can be the real next manager.

Can't see us getting him but Steve Cooper has done a great job at Swansea. Coached in Liverpool academy, England youth teams and now got Swansea playing some great stuff. He plays 3 at the back as well. Swansea could well go up and obviously if they do no chance, but if they don't could be worth and enquiry, especially if the Prince is good to his word and we keep our squad and have some money to invest. Also he got a tune out of Brewster, so that alone should put him front of the line!

I'm surprised that nobody has suggested this pairing.

Attachments

• 21733382-7748805-Terry_knows_Lampard_has_managed_to_land_the_one_job_in_managemen-a-2_15754584...jpg
    21733382-7748805-Terry_knows_Lampard_has_managed_to_land_the_one_job_in_managemen-a-2_15754584...jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 4

Didn’t see this thread.

Michael Appleton interview here. Worth a listen, I think he comes across very well.

He well may be the next messiah, but unfortunately I’m struggling to see it

How long has he been out of management? Any reason why he hasn’t returned yet or indeed why?

The thing about talking well is that it doesn’t necessarily equate to results on the pitch. I’d sooner he talked like a tit but had had 5 promotions to his name. That might get the juices flowing

He well may be the next messiah, but unfortunately I’m struggling to see it

How long has he been out of management? Any reason why he hasn’t returned yet or indeed why?

The thing about talking well is that it doesn’t necessarily equate to results on the pitch. I’d sooner he talked like a tit but had had 5 promotions to his name. That might get the juices flowing

i think that’s fair enough, I’m trying to be positive but it’s uninspiring.

We haven't got a hope in hell of attracting names like Howe, Lampard or Terry. The best guy out there we can afford and can poach is Ismael the Barnsley manager. Tactically astute, team scores plenty of goals and wouldn't that be refreshing and can clearly work on a shoestring budget. Plus poaching him will send the Dingles into a state of apoplexy never before seen.

Leftfield - but a couple of decent looking young managers in L2 - 35yo Mark Bonner at Camridge utd (2nd) and 43yo Michael Duff at Cheltenham (1st).

Preferred would be Michael Duff, i think he seems like a good character, plays 3 at the back but not afraid to attack and switch up between 5-2-3, 5-2-1-2 and 4-4-2.

it'd be a risk, but i think we need fresh face and ideas... problem is it's Cambridge is his 1st manager job, but on the other hand, it's also very impressive to be 1st in L2 in your first job
Its not what I want but I believe Prince will go foreign... who knows whats in his mind?

Cowley would be an awful appointment, he likes to play proper hoof ball so it would need a complete overhaul of the squad. Only McBurnie is a Cowley type player I am afraid.

Can't see us getting him but Steve Cooper has done a great job at Swansea. Coached in Liverpool academy, England youth teams and now got Swansea playing some great stuff. He plays 3 at the back as well. Swansea could well go up and obviously if they do no chance, but if they don't could be worth and enquiry, especially if the Prince is good to his word and we keep our squad and have some money to invest. Also he got a tune out of Brewster, so that alone should put him front of the line!

If Swansea don’t go up, this is the guy. Top loan players entrusted to him and he was the one who saw what Hourihane would do in the Champ. Swans a financial basket case also so he can manage a budget and dysfunctional structure

Benitez is an interesting case study. In his first two managerial jobs he lasted 23 games and 9 games respectively before getting the sack.

He then took a smallish club up to La Liga but got relegated straight away. After getting another 2nd Division job, and getting Tenerife promoted he was made manager of Valencia. That was bit left field, don't you think?

Can you image such a career progression in England today? He'd have been finished after getting the bullet from Osasuna after 9 games in 1996. Assuming he'd survived that he'd never have been given a huge club like Valencia after being relegated with Extremadura.

People like him have to start somewhere, but it looks like most of our fans are entirely predictable and can only think of names they're already familiar with. We may appoint some unknown, an ex-player new to management, or maybe someone who has been doing decently in the lower leagues and they may be the next big thing.

McCabe went for the name with experience in 2007 and that was disastrous. On the other hand we did much better with a lower league journeyman in 2016.
yes yes yes but "Whoa Rafa Beniiiiiiiiiitez" sounds better than "Whoa Jaaaaaason Tindaaaaaalllll"

2 choices for me, one being Cooper at Swansea. Play a 3-4-2-1 system so not to disimilar and seems to be the next guy on the up.

My other choice is left field - Carlos Corberan who is assistant to Bielsa at Leeds and very highly thought of.

2 choices for me, one being Cooper at Swansea. Play a 3-4-2-1 system so not to disimilar and seems to be the next guy on the up.

My other choice is left field - Carlos Corberan who is assistant to Bielsa at Leeds and very highly thought of.

Swansea are potentially going up, Corberan is at Huddersfield isn't he?

Back
Top Bottom