The Contenders

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

HeCanDoMagic

Reaction score
Not posted for a while. Mixture of lockdown blues and a feeling of detachment to my football club and football in general. The events over the last few days have been hard to stomach and not what any of us wanted at all. I personally believe the writing has been on the wall for a while and it didn't come as a total shock for me.

However - a manger has left, we need a new one, and with that brings a sense of nervousness, but also a sense of excitement of what would happen if we appointed 'x', 'y' or 'z' and a step into the unknown.

Some names have been popping around in the media, including today in The Sun, who, like it or not, do seem to have their finger on the pulse when it comes to us.

So, if they are right and with the other names quoted it would appear currently in the running we have;

Eddie Howe

Pros: 'Modern manager', experience of the Championship & promotion, press friendly, would probably work with DOF

Cons: That stint with Burnley (or is this unfair given how long ago it was), would he have the instant buy in of the players, AFCB went downhill very sharply

Frank Lampard

Pros: Well respected by players, Championship experience, adopted attractive football at Derby & Chelsea, contacts within the game

Cons: His he experienced enough to cope with the environment he'll walk into?

Derek McInnes

Pros: Someone help me out

Cons: Aberdeen fans seem relieved he's gone, boring football

Slavan Bilic

Pros: Championship experience & promotion, fire in his belly (which I think our fans appreciate), foreign contacts

Cons: Anyone?

John Terry (only put this in here because it'd be my preference)

Pros: Impressed as assistant, put the graft in (ie not jumped straight into management), contacts, respect of players (?), DOF model would suit, thick skinned (whoever takes over will need that)

Cons: Totally inexperienced, would our fans accept him

Hope everyone on this board is in good health and its good to be back(ish).

HCDM

I’m just not convinced by Howe. There are far more similarities between us and Burnley than us and Bournemouth. I’m not sure he’s up to the whole big expectations, comparatively little budget thing.

Not heard McInnes being mentioned, and I’m glad about that!

You haven’t mentioned Cowley (I think that’s his name), but I’ve seen him on a couple of lists. Is he the one that did really well with his brother as assistant somewhere like Lincoln? He might have had a bit of a ‘mare at Huddersfield though. He might be alright.

I’d like to think there are a lot of options we haven’t thought about yet, because they’re still in work.

The next appointment will be a good indication of the Prince’s ambition for us, and his ability to make good football decisions.

For me coming from a half Villa household, I can see a few parallels here with the situation when Martin O‘Neill left. Wasted money, unpopular owner for a start. The big difference is he went the week before the new season started. I still think CW would be the best option to get us back up, but if that is not going to happen, at least we have time on our side. Those candidates mentioned are available now and if any of them are serious contenders I hope we move for them sooner than later.

Yesterday was diabolical, some of it understandable given the circumstances but I really don’t like to think of us just treading water or worse for the next 9 league games. I would be content with Bilic, Lampard or Terry, the latter two because I think they would have the contacts to get some decent loan players in. I think Terry is ready for management but turning this mess around might not be for the inexperienced.

John Terry would want a guard of honour and the players applauding him onto the training ground every morning. He'd probably knob some of their wives as well so for those reasons I'm not keen.

I still think we'll go for a random foreigner with JVW involved in some way.

Eddie Howe would be my preference, Lampard would be ok due to the Chelsea links (as long as they are better than Ampadu).

Not posted for a while. Mixture of lockdown blues and a feeling of detachment to my football club and football in general. The events over the last few days have been hard to stomach and not what any of us wanted at all. I personally believe the writing has been on the wall for a while and it didn't come as a total shock for me.

However - a manger has left, we need a new one, and with that brings a sense of nervousness, but also a sense of excitement of what would happen if we appointed 'x', 'y' or 'z' and a step into the unknown.

Some names have been popping around in the media, including today in The Sun, who, like it or not, do seem to have their finger on the pulse when it comes to us.

So, if they are right and with the other names quoted it would appear currently in the running we have;

Eddie Howe

Pros: 'Modern manager', experience of the Championship & promotion, press friendly, would probably work with DOF

Cons: That stint with Burnley (or is this unfair given how long ago it was), would he have the instant buy in of the players, AFCB went downhill very sharply

Frank Lampard

Pros: Well respected by players, Championship experience, adopted attractive football at Derby & Chelsea, contacts within the game

Cons: His he experienced enough to cope with the environment he'll walk into?

Derek McInnes

Pros: Someone help me out

Cons: Aberdeen fans seem relieved he's gone, boring football

Slavan Bilic

Pros: Championship experience & promotion, fire in his belly (which I think our fans appreciate), foreign contacts

Cons: Anyone?

John Terry (only put this in here because it'd be my preference)

Pros: Impressed as assistant, put the graft in (ie not jumped straight into management), contacts, respect of players (?), DOF model would suit, thick skinned (whoever takes over will need that)

Cons: Totally inexperienced, would our fans accept him

Hope everyone on this board is in good health and its good to be back(ish).

HCDM
Lampard for me

Some of the names we are being linked with are shocking - including Lennon and McInnes. I don’t think Heckingbottom is up to it either. Howe and Lampard look the best options so far.

It's so difficult because they are all a big step down from Wilder for so many reasons but we have to look forward and accept we're going to get a poorer manager.

I'm not a fan of Howe but that is mainly due to his transfer market failings, if we are taking that responsibility away from him then he's a more attractive proposition because he's a good coach and plays attractive, attacking football.

Lampard has a lot to prove after a poor season at Chelsea this time. He did okay at Derby but his success there was blown out of proportion, he guided them to a 6th place finish after finishing 6th the season before under Rowett. He was also helped massively with the loan signings. That said, he's got a decent record with young British players so could help us develop Brewster & Bogle.

I think our bigger problem is attracting a suitable manager. Despite being a relegated team, I don't think we will be an attractive club to many. Following Wilder is an impossible task, a new manager needs to get the fans back onside, won't have loads of money to chuck around because of the debts which the Prince needs to pay off etc. We will be quite a tough sell to some managers.

Slim fucking pickings

I’d take Howe but our squad was only really set up to play the way we have done. We don’t have many / any players who’d look decent in another formation requiring pace, flair and skill. So a large overhaul would be required.

The only thing lampard would bring is probably some Chelsea loanees - doesn’t seem to have much tactical nouse.

would be a typical flailing owner with no vision or plan to give terry the job. If the rumours wilder was leaving had been circulating for a while you’d hope they at least have an idea of something useful so we don’t have to scrape the barrel.

Barnsley (albeit they are more likely than us to be a PL side) manger seems to be doing well. A more left field choice done it with a tiny budget might be interesting - more so than Neil fucking Lennon!

I’m just not convinced by Howe. There are far more similarities between us and Burnley than us and Bournemouth. I’m not sure he’s up to the whole big expectations, comparatively little budget thing.

Not heard McInnes being mentioned, and I’m glad about that!

You haven’t mentioned Cowley (I think that’s his name), but I’ve seen him on a couple of lists. Is he the one that did really well with his brother as assistant somewhere like Lincoln? He might have had a bit of a ‘mare at Huddersfield though. He might be alright.

I’d like to think there are a lot of options we haven’t thought about yet, because they’re still in work.

The next appointment will be a good indication of the Prince’s ambition for us, and his ability to make good football decisions.
We need the rest of the season to assess the 'temporary' management - maybe they will surprise us but I'm leaning towards Danny Cowley. Worked wonders at Lincoln and wasn't really given long enough at Huddersfield.

My 3 are the following but come with some cons each..

Howe - Would he move up north?

Lampard - Would hate being Frank Lampard's Sheffield United.

Bilic - Would he want a decent budget?
All three would want a decent budget. Lampard 'not spending much' at Chelsea was due to the embargo and when he was allowed he spent an absolute bomb on Havertz and Werner. I can't see him wanting to piss around in the bargain basement here can you?!

We need the rest of the season to assess the 'temporary' management - maybe they will surprise us but I'm leaning towards Danny Cowley. Worked wonders at Lincoln and wasn't really given long enough at Huddersfield.

That’s the feller; so it is who I was thinking of. 😃

The only worry with someone like that is that he’s another who’s only managed at a lower level so might hit a ceiling at Premier League level. If we are looking to install a director of football with continental connections, that could negate that risk somewhat.

Back
Top Bottom