So Mr Manager

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

One thing that must be remembered that I haven't seen anyone mention is that the Championship season is 8 games longer, and 11 games longer if you go up in the playoffs.

If this season has taught us anything, it is that we do not have a big enough squad. We need a lot of new players.

Exactly. Anyone who thinks Basham, Egan, Norwood, McGoldrick have 46 games+ in them needs to have a rethink.

However, think back - we did get promoted with Gary Madine and Scott Hogan as a front two - so with that perspective McBurnie, Brewster, Burke suddenly look a little better.

Having said that, we'll live and die by our recruitment. Biggest Summer Window in Tufty's career coming up. More Fleck, Duffy, Norwood less Lee Evans, Ricky Holmes, Ryan Leonard...

Let’s hope we’ve learned our lesson as a club and as a set of fans.

...and that in one short sentence is what should happen - supported by the majority of Blades. (as continual polls on here suggest!)

the majority also appears to be greater when not on this board - haven't found 1 Blade who doesn't post on this site who wants rid - wonder why that is?

UTB

I dont want him sacked. I just want him to revert back t how he was 18 months ago.

Personally, I think you and others will get that once next season start.

We'll either return to 3412 or CWAK will create a new system for us.

There are lessons to be learnt from going into the Prem and playing 352 - CWAK need to learn that lesson and adjust the team structure.

UTB

Personally, I think you and others will get that once next season start.

We'll either return to 3412 or CWAK will create a new system for us.

There are lessons to be learnt from going into the Prem and playing 352 - CWAK need to learn that lesson and adjust the team structure.

UTB
Not just the tactics but his whole demeanor which seems to have turned 180 degrees.

Not just the tactics but his whole demeanor which seems to have turned 180 degrees.

It's the pressure - manager and fan is having an effect - throw in no crowds and covid that have affected us and it all adds up to an awful lot of pressure on him.

Depends how it goes - is he a quitter or stayer?

UTB

...and that in one short sentence is what should happen - supported by the majority of Blades. (as continual polls on here suggest!)

the majority also appears to be greater when not on this board - haven't found 1 Blade who doesn't post on this site who wants rid - wonder why that is?

UTB
I haven't read any of this thread because it's never worth reading all the knee jerk reactions following a defeat. It's been a very disappointing season but prior to the 19/20 season CW told us that we should be prepared to possibly lose 3 or 4 consecutive games ( as I recall) and I suspect because of our over achievement in that first season, some of us have allowed ourselves to have inflated expectations.

I hope CW doesn't walk and I don't think his body language suggests that he would. I remember how worn out and drawn Dave Bassett (similar to David Weir) looked like in his final game and I remember saying to our mutual friend that it was time for him to go. He just didn't look as though he could take any more - but I don't think CW has reached that stage yet.

Personally , on reflection it possibly would have been better had we not risen to the Premier League so quickly, but financially it has probably been a blessing in disguise as the parachute payments will give us an enormous financial advantage over teams that have been stuck in the championship (and below) with no spectator income along with the high interest rate loans some clubs have allegedly used to cover their lack of cash flow.

What any Blade worth his salt needs to ask, is, who is the best man to get us promoted from the championship? The Blade who took us from division 3 to the premier league in 3 seasons on a net spend of £6.4m? Or shall we bin him because Covid-19 fu{ked us more than any other club and appoint..... any fu{ker without red and white blood in his veins? We’ve got £100m for the next 3 seasons because of him. He gets a minimum of 2 more seasons for me. Just for the record. The narcissistic big nose twat had 7 years before he got us promoted.
'Covid-19 fu{ked us more than any other club'? I just don't follow your logic, every club has faced this and some have dealt with it better than others. We have failed miserably, as articulated elsewhere on this forum (e.g. training, preparation, etc.) but it's not a valid excuse for performances or actually non-performances this season, like Saturday.

The only question for me is with fans at the lane, Wilder wouldn't get away with this travesty, the crowd wouldn't let him, something would give. I don't think we've suffered any more or less than any other club due to fans not being present but this is the exception. Someone mentioned Adkins & Scunthorpe, I expect Wilder is the most relieved man in the UK, that there are no fans around.

'Covid-19 fu{ked us more than any other club'? I just don't follow your logic, every club has faced this and some have dealt with it better than others. We have failed miserably, as articulated elsewhere on this forum (e.g. training, preparation, etc.) but it's not a valid excuse for performances or actually non-performances this season, like Saturday.

The only question for me is with fans at the lane, Wilder wouldn't get away with this travesty, the crowd wouldn't let him, something would give. I don't think we've suffered any more or less than any other club due to fans not being present but this is the exception. Someone mentioned Adkins & Scunthorpe, I expect Wilder is the most relieved man in the UK, that there are no fans around.
A game every 3 days since restart, for the poorest club in the league, with the thinnest squad in the league, with a month break till 20/21 season? Not heard one analyst describing another club suffering as much as us without the crowds behind us, even though it’s the same for everyone.

agree again, things out of his control have affected us, whilst all teams have suffered the lack of fans, maybe our lads gained an extra percent or 2 that took them up a gear - maybe a neutral would say its a great leveller, but it has shafted us maybe more than others.

However, CV19 didnt sign Ramsdale, Brewster, Rodwell, Freeman, Ravel M., Jags - £50kpw), Fodderingham etc
Neither did it disregard the OLCB tactics that took us here and replace it with turgid slow slop.

I think the ultimate decision should hinge on whether he has 'lost the dressing room' now no one on here knows that

A clean slate CW is definitely the best man to move us forward
A broken CW with the baggage of a relegation, and lets be honest, this isnt Bournemouth going down on the last day of the season, this is a relegation car crash thats been on the cards since about October - for a man that cares for the club so much this must have taken its toll

Do we need a new broom to come in to create a new mood, or does CW have a point to prove

I honestly dont know, one minute I think 'look what he did to get us here, so it again', the next I believe hes lost his mojo, needs a break from football for a few months and he will go again (bit like Poch @ Spurs)

I cannot agree tho that he gets 2 years, and I think you know that really!
If we arent in the top 6 after 10 games next season I think that for all involved he will have to be replaced

Till then lets hope he can muster something that proves he still has it!!
No, having the poorest chairman in the premier club (Not his fault BTW) forced our hand to go for potential, rather than ready made players due to wage restrictions? If CWAK were a WWE wrestling tag team fighting for a world title, they’d basically be fighting their opponents with both hands tied behind their backs and boots tied together.

I haven't read any of this thread because it's never worth reading all the knee jerk reactions following a defeat. It's been a very disappointing season but prior to the 19/20 season CW told us that we should be prepared to possibly lose 3 or 4 consecutive games ( as I recall) and I suspect because of our over achievement in that first season, some of us have allowed ourselves to have inflated expectations.

I hope CW doesn't walk and I don't think his body language suggests that he would. I remember how worn out and drawn Dave Bassett (similar to David Weir) looked like in his final game and I remember saying to our mutual friend that it was time for him to go. He just didn't look as though he could take any more - but I don't think CW has reached that stage yet.

Personally , on reflection it possibly would have been better had we not risen to the Premier League so quickly, but financially it has probably been a blessing in disguise as the parachute payments will give us an enormous financial advantage over teams that have been stuck in the championship (and below) with no spectator income along with the high interest rate loans some clubs have allegedly used to cover their lack of cash flow.

Hi - hope you are well?

Well i didn't read much either, and yes agree it's he same after each defeat now - expected though from a vocal minority. They can of course have their say but i'm still yet to find any Blade who advocates CW leaving outside of this anonymous social media site.. Without doubt all have reservations about some decisions but this resign stuff is just shit stirring nonsense. Some of them should get a job with the shit stirrers from the BBC. Some of us at our age have a deep memory of numerous bad choices of managers - a problem that we used to have has now been taken by our porcine friends over at S6 who's choices of manager since relegation in the late 90's has been utterly woeful.

Don't disagree about getting promoted too quickly either, a result of our rapid rise - we were probably 4-6 decent players short and instead of buying quality in year 1, we also have to buy some squad players who are now looking a little bit light weight.

We should start with a better base back in the Championship, but for me Wilder has to be brave with decisions on some players. We should, as well as the other two that get relegated, start with a huge advantage over the other championship sides who get poorer as each day passes. Whilst that is sad in itself, we SHOULD aim to take advantage and bounce straight back. COVID has contributed to our problems this season - we should use it to our advantage next season.

Lets hope we get to have our little chats in August !

UTB

No, having the poorest chairman in the premier club (Not his fault BTW) forced our hand to go for potential, rather than ready made players due to wage restrictions? If CWAK were a WWE wrestling tag team fighting for a world title, they’d basically be fighting their opponents with both hands tied behind their backs and boots tied together.
understood, and agree to a degree - however.......

Would it have been more sensible to invest some in potential, as we have done, and some in key loans?

Ben Foster was on £33k pw last season, so may have wanted £40k, but no transfer fee
Deeney is on £65k, may have had to pay a loan fee, but pretty sure he would have scored a few
Barkley is on £100k pw at Villa, no doubt a £5m ish loan fee?

However, had we had Foster in goal, Barkley in the middle and Deeney up front, does anyone think we would be on 11points after 25 games?
the above would cost us about £10m in wages, and maybe £5-10m in loan fees
However thats about half of one permanent young un, and probably given us another year in the Prem to build the funds so we dont have to rely on loans moving forward

HIndsight is wonderful of course, and we all called it our best window ever, but a blend of youth and experience is surely the prudent way

understood, and agree to a degree - however.......

Would it have been more sensible to invest some in potential, as we have done, and some in key loans?

Ben Foster was on £33k pw last season, so may have wanted £40k, but no transfer fee
Deeney is on £65k, may have had to pay a loan fee, but pretty sure he would have scored a few
Barkley is on £100k pw at Villa, no doubt a £5m ish loan fee?

However, had we had Foster in goal, Barkley in the middle and Deeney up front, does anyone think we would be on 11points after 25 games?
the above would cost us about £10m in wages, and maybe £5-10m in loan fees
However thats about half of one permanent young un, and probably given us another year in the Prem to build the funds so we dont have to rely on loans moving forward

HIndsight is wonderful of course, and we all called it our best window ever, but a blend of youth and experience is surely the prudent way
Foster signed a 2 year extension, so wasn’t a free.
Deeney can’t even jog now, let alone run! He’d make McBurnie, Sharp and Norwood lo like Usain Bolt!
Check out the Villa forums for what they think about Barkley. £100,000 a week for one decent game every 5.

Foster signed a 2 year extension, so wasn’t a free.
Deeney can’t even jog now, let alone run! He’d make McBurnie, Sharp and Norwood lo like Usain Bolt!
Check out the Villa forums for what they think about Barkley. £100,000 a week for one decent game every 5.
Had we offered Foster a chance to remain in the prem he probably wouldnt have signed the extension, so yes he would have been free
Deeney has played 18 games so far this season, same as McB but scored 7 against Oli's 1 (accepting EFL is weaker) but doesnt suggest legs gone
Barkley would love our midfield to have had 1 in 5 decent games!!

on a serious note, I am sure there are others we could have looked at, not saying the list i gave is exhaustive, just an example of what market we could have delved into

Im in no way saying that we should sack CW, our players are all crap and we are a disgrace, but the record currently shows that we are bottom, having lost 20 of 25 games

Your right on the poorest owner, (not sure if £200m and poor can be used in same sentance!) however he was our chairman last year, and we finished 9th

Chelsea?
Spurs?
Man C?
PSG??

No, Fulham, fuckin Fulham.

Snook into the prem via play offs

Who prior to yesterday had won 3 games all season, same as us.

We even had a little question last season when we went to Liverpool and held out for a 1-0 defeat as to whether we should have ‘had a go’

But yesterday there we were, last chance saloon and could only muster 2 shots on target in 97minutes.

Surely you can’t defend that mate??
As I said yesterday. We had 3 clear cut chances, they had none. The spozzyness of their goal, via the nesh, non defending by Ampadu , a copycat of the goal he also gave away at MCFC, sums our season up to a T. If it wasn’t for bad luck, we’d have no luck! No matter how you dress it up, even taking in the first half performance, we could and should have took all 3 points, never mind 1. I’ve said for 2 seasons now, our players are too honest. Had the Anguissa on Fleck foul been the other way around, Anguissa, despite being 6’ 4” would have rolled around screaming for 2 minutes to make sure he got Fleck a second yellow. Stevens kicks the floor when clean through. Bryan and Lunny make a pigs ear of free headers from inside the 6yd box. As for the penalty, I’m lost for words.

As I said yesterday. We had 3 clear cut chances, they had none. The spozzyness of their goal, via the nesh, non defending by Ampadu , a copycat of the goal he also gave away at MCFC, sums our season up to a T. If it wasn’t for bad luck, we’d have no luck! No matter how you dress it up, even taking in the first half performance, we could and should have took all 3 points, never mind 1. I’ve said for 2 seasons now, our players are too honest. Had the Anguissa on Fleck foul been the other way around, Anguissa, despite being 6’ 4” would have rolled around screaming for 2 minutes to make sure he got Fleck a second yellow. Stevens kicks the floor when clean through. Bryan and Lunny make a pigs ear of free headers from inside the 6yd box. As for the penalty, I’m lost for words.

Oreet mate, reckon you must be on the wind up here

How can you look at the game, look at the stats, understand this is last orders in last chance saloon, and say we deserved 3 points and we were unlucky - 2 shots on target from 35% possession FFS.

Sometimes you have to hold up your hands and say we were shit, doesnt make you less of a fan, in fact if you are a fan you will have earned this right with thousands of miles and ££'s spent following them.

You cant defend the indefensible, we were wank, have been all season and are going down, and dont blame that on luck, makes you sound like a bad looser.

1614071769623.png

Earned credit!!! The man has no idea. He was complaining about the performance of certain players after the West Ham, then plays Lundstrum and Steven's tonight. The guy has completely lost the plot. He needs to go!!!!!
Yes, he had no idea when we went from Div 1 to 4th in the Premiership. Clearly no ability, nous, knowledge ... or credit to come from that experience. Let’s sack him and get, well, someone. Someone who, well, knows what he’s doing. That’s it. I know, someone who’ll win games.

Earned credit!!! The man has no idea. He was complaining about the performance of certain players after the West Ham, then plays Lundstrum and Steven's tonight. The guy has completely lost the plot. He needs to go!!!!!

Whether you like it or not, the board are sticking with Chris Wilder and the majority of the fans are right behind him because they have memories that span back longer than 6 months.

Clearly you aren't going to be happy with the fact he's not leaving, so may I politely suggest you find something else to amuse your time with at least until the start of next season.

How can you look at the game, look at the stats, understand this is last orders in last chance saloon, and say we deserved 3 points and we were unlucky - 2 shots on target from 35% possession FFS.

Sometimes you have to hold up your hands and say we were shit, doesnt make you less of a fan, in fact if you are a fan you will have earned this right with thousands of miles and ££'s spent following them.

You cant defend the indefensible, we were wank, have been all season and are going down, and dont blame that on luck, makes you sound like a bad looser.

View attachment 106262
There's lies, damn lies and statistics.

Leicester won the Premier League with stats like that week in week out.

If we were ruthless we wouldn't be where we are. But hey ho we are, fine margins and all that

There's lies, damn lies and statistics.

Leicester won the Premier League with stats like that week in week out.

If we were ruthless we wouldn't be where we are. But hey ho we are, fine margins and all that
not sure about that, but cant be arsed to check!!

they did score 68 goals, and finished on +38 GD, so reckon they definitely (see below) had more than 2 shots on target a game, but your right on the ruthless

Dont like the Steptoe twat, but you cant argue he almost single handily won them the title
Interesting to see though, that his shot to goal ratio is 1:5, and having played in 36 games, he averaged over 3 shots per game 1614080691040.png

not sure about that, but cant be arsed to check!!

they did score 68 goals, and finished on +38 GD, so reckon they definitely (see below) had more than 2 shots on target a game, but your right on the ruthless

Dont like the Steptoe twat, but you cant argue he almost single handily won them the title
Interesting to see though, that his shot to goal ratio is 1:5, and having played in 36 games, he averaged over 3 shots per game View attachment 106274

Park the bus and lob the ball forward to Vardy on the break seemed to Ranieris tactic. Simple but very efficient and effective.

If Moussett had the same attitude to his profession as Vardy or Burke had a scorers instinct then we could be effective with similar tactics.

View attachment 106262
No matter how you dress it up to suit your argument, The facts are; Stevens clean through. Bryan/Lunny both missed free headers from inside the 6yd box. Sharp leaves the cross McBurnie has just the keeper to beat. Not forgetting the most scandalous decision of the season on Bogle. What did they create, bar Ampadu gifting them the winner?

No matter how you dress it up to suit your argument, The facts are; Stevens clean through. Bryan/Lunny both missed free headers from inside the 6yd box. Sharp leaves the cross McBurnie has just the keeper to beat. Not forgetting the most scandalous decision of the season on Bogle. What did they create, bar Ampadu gifting them the winner?
Sorry, we must have been watching different games. We were shite. I have seen some shite over the years and that was up there with it. Their passing and possession was better, their use of space far better, and they looked more of a team. It was a penalty but you're clutching at straws with that.
The fact that there were the three chances you mentioned and nothing came of them proves a point about us not being great this season. At least one should have gone in.
It's not about creating chances, it's about putting them away, and Fulham just about shaded it there. And they're not very good.

I like Wilder and despite making some mistakes this year, the journey we’ve had during his reign gives him some credit in the bank in my view. If he regain the approach we had 18 months ago, we’re onto a winner.

That being said, are there any managers, in recent times, who have been relegated and then delivered a successful resurgence?

Sorry, we must have been watching different games. We were shite. I have seen some shite over the years and that was up there with it. Their passing and possession was better, their use of space far better, and they looked more of a team. It was a penalty but you're clutching at straws with that.
The fact that there were the three chances you mentioned and nothing came of them proves a point about us not being great this season. At least one should have gone in.
It's not about creating chances, it's about putting them away, and Fulham just about shaded it there. And they're not very good.
It doesn’t matter how shit we are, how much possession we had, we still created the better, clear cut chances. And if a Welsh international from Chelsea didn’t A/ get caught out by a Sunday morning clump forward, and B/ didn’t platt his fu{king legs, we wouldn’t have lost that game, despite being shorn of 7 (Seven) players.

I like Wilder and despite making some mistakes this year, the journey we’ve had during his reign gives him some credit in the bank in my view. If he regain the approach we had 18 months ago, we’re onto a winner.

That being said, are there any managers, in recent times, who have been relegated and then delivered a successful resurgence?
i think chris has got till the end of october and if were not challenging at the top end of the championship i think he will be gone

It doesn’t matter how shit we are, how much possession we had, we still created the better, clear cut chances. And if a Welsh international from Chelsea didn’t A/ get caught out by a Sunday morning clump forward, and B/ didn’t platt his fu{king legs, we wouldn’t have lost that game, despite being shorn of 7 (Seven) players.
There's little point in arguing the toss about it. You mentioned three chances, in 90 minutes. None went in. We don't have lots of chances, which is why it's been important to have a good conversion rate. We don't have that either. It could be argued that we're in a mess at the back because it suited Hendo not to play for us any more (GLTTL), and JOC got injured. Both of these events happened a long time ago and the management consistently failed to deal with this. Or rather, the way they've dealt with it hasn't worked. It's not Ampadu's fault that we have to rely on his limited (and by PL standards, cheap!) skills.
I'm beyond bothering whether it was a penalty or not (I was at the time, and it was), but the fact remains that the reasons we lost that game (and many others), lie months before a ball was kicked at Craven Cottage.
I haven't forgotten great times we've experienced in recent years, but CWAK were fine about picking up the praise and plaudits then (CW I suspect more than AK), so they should accept that we're a bit less than ecstatic at the moment.
Football is a simple game. It has to be for us fans (often simple souls ourselves!) to understand it. Put simply, we can't score at one and can't keep it out at the other. All the talk about stats, possession, weird ratios which I don't understand, are just a smokescreen for us being collectively crap, and this crapness is purely down to decisions made a long time before the Fulham game.

Mate, time to wake up and smell the coffee!

Back
Top Bottom