So Mr Manager

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

We talk about fine margins but there’s nothing fine about spending £23 million pound, nothing smart about gambling that sort of money and then moaning that we don’t have any. Makes no sense. We don’t have any money, so i tell you what I’m going to gamble £23 million of it. Let’s say Brewster go’s on the score a shed load of goals, starts attracting attention, Liverpool get involved he’s gone. If not we’re stuck with the the transfer business equivalent of Andy Carroll, stupid transfer in my eyes and (with the luxury of hindsight) he’s offered nothing we’d have been better off signing a defender to cover JOC and a creative midfielder, because we have coped 95% of this season using the tried and tested strikers of old.

£5 million bought us a player in Burke that’s been far more effective, I would call that a sensible gamble if the people in charge really believed we had no money.
Last season it was clear the overlapping CB would be even more successful if we had technically better players then our 2nd division heroes, a great opportunity to kick on. For the sake of £18m Ramsdale we could have signed 6 x£60k pw for 12months and secured the team for another PL year. One would think the "Manager of the year" would know how to find them. Or at least have a plan b if for example an injury crisis or a loss of form arose. Yesterdays performance was the worst since Adkins Scunthorpe, but still he shows no sign that he will try something different.

Chris needs to go

we need someone with objective judgement between now and the end of the season to assess what we have and what we need

Chris has totally messed up / no doubt
Whatever you say, Mr 🔔 End 🐷

Earned credit!!! The man has no idea. He was complaining about the performance of certain players after the West Ham, then plays Lundstrum and Steven's tonight. The guy has completely lost the plot. He needs to go!!!!!
I wish I could jerk my knee into the base of every spine, of every feral, hyperbolic, knee jerking clown that frequents this forum.

I wish I could jerk my knee into the base of every spine, of every feral, hyperbolic, knee jerking clown that frequents this forum.

If reacting after loosing 20 out of 25 games is classed as knee jerk, when does it become acceptable?
Patience of a saint you have.

Irrespective of whether you believe CW should be sacked or not, the above record, alongside spending £100m+ without improving the team, including a £20m forward who’s behind OG in the scoring charts allows questions to be asked

Let’s look at balance
Had we won 20 of the last 25 games, we would be calling for CW to be knighted and given the key to the city

Can’t have it both ways, he is the manager

We can bemoan players, no fans, VAR, injuries etc
But ultimately he is paid very well to get results, and it’s simply not good enough

If reacting after loosing 20 out of 25 games is classed as knee jerk, when does it become acceptable?
Patience of a saint you have.

Irrespective of whether you believe CW should be sacked or not, the above record, alongside spending £100m+ without improving the team, including a £20m forward who’s behind OG in the scoring charts allows questions to be asked

Let’s look at balance
Had we won 20 of the last 25 games, we would be calling for CW to be knighted and given the key to the city

Can’t have it both ways, he is the manager

We can bemoan players, no fans, VAR, injuries etc
But ultimately he is paid very well to get results, and it’s simply not good enough
Chris Wilder, before this season has given me four of the best years of my life. The last two seasons he was nominated manager of the year by his peers? First sign of a kick in the bollocks, and that 4 years has been deleted by some. Not me.

Chris Wilder, before this season has given me four of the best years of my life. The last two seasons he was nominated manager of the year by his peers? First sign of a kick in the bollocks, and that 4 years has been deleted by some. Not me.

Totally 100% agree with the 1st part, and for that he should be held in high esteem by Blades forever

But, look at what he did for our club with the likes of Morrison, Duffy etc
“No room for sentiment” to quote the man himself

No Blade is revelling in this, but sometimes you have to admit things that kinda go against your will

At what point do we accept it’s time for a change?

For the record
I wouldnt be asking the question had we scraped to safety last year , and we’re going down fighting this
But they showed what they are capable of last season
Beggars belief really

Totally 100% agree with the 1st part, and for that he should be held in high esteem by Blades forever

But, look at what he did for our club with the likes of Morrison, Duffy etc
“No room for sentiment” to quote the man himself

No Blade is revelling in this, but sometimes you have to admit things that kinda go against your will

At what point do we accept it’s time for a change?

For the record
I wouldnt be asking the question had we scraped to safety last year , and we’re going down fighting this
But they showed what they are capable of last season
Beggars belief really
What any Blade worth his salt needs to ask, is, who is the best man to get us promoted from the championship? The Blade who took us from division 3 to the premier league in 3 seasons on a net spend of £6.4m? Or shall we bin him because Covid-19 fu{ked us more than any other club and appoint..... any fu{ker without red and white blood in his veins? We’ve got £100m for the next 3 seasons because of him. He gets a minimum of 2 more seasons for me. Just for the record. The narcissistic big nose twat had 7 years before he got us promoted.

I think less questions would be getting asked of the management if the team was going out there and showing some fight and/or the obvious tactical shortcomings which are glaring to most, were being fixed or at least a change of philosophy or thought process.

That seemingly they arent after 25 games is ample consideration for serious questions to be asked. If we aren't asking them on a football forum, you can bet your bottom dollar Qs are being asked about levels of perfomance by those who own the club and rightly so.

CW has shit loads of credit in the bank for everything that he has done for the club pre this season. But he has made a right fucking balls up of this one. Anyone saying differently is fuckin deluded.

I can stomach defeat if we go down fighting and doing everything that we can to get the positive result. Last night was like too many this season in that we meekly went to our defeat and didn't try to change it or give ourselves the best chance of getting resuilt. The piss poor performance from players and management this season is getting beyond tedious. The credit in thr bank is fast getting used up (and even CW acknoweldged that last week).

Go down with a fight, or just go.

What any Blade worth his salt needs to ask, is, who is the best man to get us promoted from the championship? The Blade who took us from division 3 to the premier league in 3 seasons on a net spend of £6.4m? Or shall we bin him because Covid-19 fu{ked us more than any other club and appoint..... any fu{ker without red and white blood in his veins? We’ve got £100m for the next 3 seasons because of him. He gets a minimum of 2 more seasons for me. Just for the record. The narcissistic big nose twat had 7 years before he got us promoted.

I don't know how you can put a timeframe on how long somone has left.

Theoretically he cpuld have us relegated from league 1 in that time (of course he wouldn't in the real world) but the point stands. Surely you judge someone in their job at any given time and what they are currently doing and what they can do.

At the moment, management performance is piss poor. Next season who knows, but I think he will be lucky to still be here if we lose most of out last 16 games which is still possible looking at last night's showing.

You might be happy to give CW a free pass for the next two seasons. A lot of fans aren't and want to see improvement quickly whether that be more fight, or even a few fucking touches in the oppositions box.

Any Blade worth his salt, wants what is best for the club and will question what is happening if things are obviously failing. I think that's a given. The Qs are rightly being asked now.

Yes, last time we were in the Championship and he saddled us with players suitable for... the Championship that ended awfully.

His recruitment has been poor this season, but up until then, he was on balance exemplary.
I'd leave it mate. You're getting drawn into a debate with a bunch of knee jerk Jackie's who aren't happy that their instant gratification isn't being met by their football team winning.

You won't win.

They're at their happiest when there's a pantomime villain to project all their angst of misery onto and Tufty is currently that actor. No amount of nuanced debate and/or reasoning will be received!

I think less questions would be getting asked of the management if the team was going out there and showing some fight and/or the obvious tactical shortcomings which are glaring to most, were being fixed or at least a change of philosophy or thought process.

That seemingly they arent after 25 games is ample consideration for serious questions to be asked. If we aren't asking them on a football forum, you can bet your bottom dollar Qs are being asked about levels of perfomance by those who own the club and rightly so.

CW has shit loads of credit in the bank for everything that he has done for the club pre this season. But he has made a right fucking balls up of this one. Anyone saying differently is fuckin deluded.

I can stomach defeat if we go down fighting and doing everything that we can to get the positive result. Last night was like too many this season in that we meekly went to our defeat and didn't try to change it or give ourselves the best chance of getting resuilt. The piss poor performance from players and management this season is getting beyond tedious. The credit in thr bank is fast getting used up (and even CW acknoweldged that last week).

I'd offer that our players are shot - both mentally and physically. Basham getting injured is the perfect metaphor. He's been flagging for weeks yet he keeps getting picked because there's literally no one else to play that role. We've got x3 LCBs, x2CCBs yet x1 RCB - what's that about?

The fact we have a wafer thin squad lands at Tufty's door and I'll criticise him for that rather than not being able to get a performance out of a squad that is shattered and punch drunk from losing...

I’ll keep saying it till I’m blue in the face. We went to a team owned by a billionaire, who blow us out of the water with location, transfer fees and wages, shorn of 7 first team players, a 37 year old CB, a 35 year old CF, Fleck & Stevens coming back from injury, and we have some amongst us thinking we go there and twat them on their own pitch.

I’ll keep saying it till I’m blue in the face. We went to a team owned by a billionaire, who blow us out of the water with location, transfer fees and wages, shorn of 7 first team players, a 37 year old CB, a 35 year old CF, Fleck & Stevens coming back from injury, and we have some amongst us thinking we go there and twat them on their own pitch.

I'm not seeing many on here if any, thinking that 'we go there and twat them on their own pitch'. Who is saying that we should?

I am seeing many (and I'm one of them) saying that we should have gone there and put on a much better performance and looked a damned sight more dangerous than we actually did. For fucks sake we didn't touch the ball in their box in the first half. That is beyond shit and injuries or not that isnt really acceptable at any level of professional football. Well it not in my eyes anyway.

If our one tactic is to bang it long because our midfield is being overrun (like it has done nearly every fuckin game this season note the possession stats of every game) then we should at least try and play this tactic well. Perhaps play two players close to the target man to try and get on the 2nd ball. We don't seem to play with any defined tactic other than bang it long aimlessly.

Injuries is a fair enough point. But you could have a league 1 side who caused more problems for Fulham defence than we did last night. Tbh, it's simply not good enough atm.

I’ll keep saying it till I’m blue in the face. We went to a team owned by a billionaire, who blow us out of the water with location, transfer fees and wages.

Chelsea?
Spurs?
Man C?
PSG??

No, Fulham, fuckin Fulham.

Snook into the prem via play offs

Who prior to yesterday had won 3 games all season, same as us.

We even had a little question last season when we went to Liverpool and held out for a 1-0 defeat as to whether we should have ‘had a go’

But yesterday there we were, last chance saloon and could only muster 2 shots on target in 97minutes.

Surely you can’t defend that mate??

I'm not seeing many on here if any, thinking that 'we go there and twat them on their own pitch'. Who is saying that we should?

I am seeing many (and I'm one of them) saying that we should have gone there and put on a much better performance and looked a damned sight more dangerous than we actually did. For fucks sake we didn't touch the ball in their box in the first half. That is beyond shit and injuries or not that isnt really acceptable at any level of professional football. Well it not in my eyes anyway.

If our one tactic is to bang it long because our midfield is being overrun (like it has done nearly every fuckin game this season note the possession stats of every game) then we should at least try and play this tactic well. Perhaps play two players close to the target man to try and get on the 2nd ball. We don't seem to play with any defined tactic other than bang it long aimlessly.

Injuries is a fair enough point. But you could have a league 1 side who caused more problems for Fulham defence than we did last night. Tbh, it's simply not good enough atm.

I don't think anybody has said we should have twatted them on their own pitch but to do what we did in a match of such importance against a team in much the same position as ourselves was naive at best and at worst a derilection of duty. The worst thing to happen to this club this season, in my opinion, is the owner basically telling CW he is unsackable in a job that is results driven.
Playing a 37 y.o CB, a 35 y.o striker and a LWB returning from injury wasn't some sort of punishment meted out to us by a higher power. It was a management choice caused I think by a refusal to change a redundant system that doesn't work for us anymore. I'm not disagreeing that we have punched above our weight since PL promotion and of course I have enjoyed it along with everyone else and we have CW to thank for that but I won't dwell on all the wilderness years and be forever grateful to have got to the PL eventually. I'm much more annoyed at all the mangers who couldn't get a club this size out of the third tier The refusal to change a 'sussed out' system and total inflexibility has, in my view, cost us dearly.
I don't have a better option as manager in mind before everyone comes out with that popular response but I don't need to. What I am allowed to do is comment on the performance of a football club I have supported for over 50 years. In the same way we are allowed to say if a film or any other viewing spectacle is good or bad without being asked to suggest better actors for the parts

Despite being a child watching the John Harris era my Managerial hero was Dave Bassett.

Consecutive promotions to the top flight together with exceeding all expectations, playing a fast expansive brand of football (the pundits thought we were just long ball but it was far more than that) and I thought I had died and gone to football heaven (no, not that one).

At the time if someone had offered him a job for life I would have thought he deserved it but there was a point at which it became clear that actually he’d lost the plot and, much as it pained me to admit, his time was up and we needed a change.

I am not saying this about Chris Wilder because he is not there yet.

When we discussed how it was maybe time for Harry to jack it in one of the first things that anyone said was “some people have short memories”, a phrase echoed on here many times recently. The fact is, we didn’t have short memories, we had treasured memories, and we didn’t want them spoiled by sticking with a fallen hero and ending up blaming him for all the problems to come.

Of course CW and the credit in his reputational bank are still very much ahead of the curve. I’ll put on record I want him to go again in Summer with a decent budget, a change of strategy, and a right go at promotion. But let’s imagine we’re in 12th place in December. Yes, we will be an ex-Premier League team by then, and he has taken us to some very dizzy heights, but when you consider that you start a L1 season equal top, to be 12th in the Championship means your net result for 4.5 years is to lift us 12 positions higher than when you started.

Of course the man is eminently capable of getting us back to the top of the Championship and challenging for promotion, we know that, but last night we looked like a non-League side in a Cup match just belting the ball anywhere and hoping for the best and if we do that in the Championship we are on a hiding to nothing.

Job for life? No chance. Job for now? Absolutely, he’s totally deserved another crack and top 6 even extends that sentiment for another one.

Agree with most of that. You let yourself down by bringing the 3rd division bollocks into it. For what it’s worth I’d have started Mcgoldrick & Burke up top. Plus, nobody but the management know what’s happening behind the scenes, re, injuries & attitude. One of our own, with a proud reputation is leading us. Do you honestly think he sends us out to get our arse spanked every game in this league? I’ve been down to division 4 and had to endure, amongst others, for my sins, the likes of Haslam, Peters, McEwan, Heath, Weir & Adkins along the way. Trust me. This is a fu{king walk in the park at the side of that turgid drivel. A walk in the park with £100m in our back pocket, to boot.

Agree with most of that. You let yourself down by bringing the 3rd division bollocks into it. For what it’s worth I’d have started Mcgoldrick & Burke up top. Plus, nobody but the management know what’s happening behind the scenes, re, injuries & attitude. One of our own, with a proud reputation is leading us. Do you honestly think he sends us out to get our arse spanked every game in this league? I’ve been down to division 4 and had to endure, amongst others, for my sins, the likes of Haslam, Peters, McEwan, Heath, Weir & Adkins along the way. Trust me. This is a fu{king walk in the park at the side of that turgid drivel. A walk in the park with £100m in our back pocket, to boot.

Very good of you to kindly point out that apparently 'you let yourself down by bringing in the 3rd division bollocks'. Could you be any more pretentious or patronising with that comment? Are you a teacher who spends their days marking student papers? As it happens, no I didn't, it just so happens you disagree. Tough shit.

Do I think he sends us out to get out arse spanked every game...? Er... yes of course he does. Fuk me sideways. Who said anything of the sort? Now who's talking bollocks?

Also Mr Billy Big Blade I don't need to 'trust you' about United's performance in the past. I've watched United a bloody long time also (since Jimmy Sirrel actually) so I was also there in the Happy Harry Haslam days also. But truth be known when you or I started watching Utd doesnt give any more credence to our respective opinions about thus current season. Just how many seasons do you need to have watched Utd then before you think someone can have a valid opinion about this seasons shit show? I've seen plenty of piss poor United sides and this one isn't close to bring the worse by a long chalk. But that doesnt mean that they can shovel up a shit sandwich every week for the supporters to swallow.

Trust me, we were really shit last night, and I didn't need nearly 50 years of watching United to be able to realise that.

Last edited:
Genuine question, what do you think the benefits would be in asking our players to go out and play a completely different way to that they have been playing for the last four years with a good degree of success.

Going out and changing things for the sake of it, and then potentially getting hammered in the process seems to be totally counter productive in the long term to me.
Genuine response, they aren’t though are they? no pace in our play, no press, no wingbacks whipping balls in behind defences, no up and at ‘em mentality. That’s why I’m so cheesed off.

Whereas my personal opinion is that a good manager of people (in whatever career the management is in) is there to maximise the performance levels and potential of the personnel that they have at their disposal at all times, which will sometimes mean having to change tactics, thinking, or original plans, or in this case the formation to suit the players he currently has available.

The formation we use should always be the best fit for the players that we have avaliable and not the other way around.

If you stick with a formation that doesnt suit the players you have, you get inferior performance and results reflect that. David Weir had a sound formation plan but didn't have the players to do it with. He got the sack.
I largely agree with you. That is why buying McBurnie and Berge made no sense. If you have a plan and it works, which ours did, you buy players to fit your blueprint. We’ve spent a lot of money buying the wrong type of player. Both of the above may be excellent players but they are clearly lost in our system.

I'd offer that our players are shot - both mentally and physically. Basham getting injured is the perfect metaphor. He's been flagging for weeks yet he keeps getting picked because there's literally no one else to play that role. We've got x3 LCBs, x2CCBs yet x1 RCB - what's that about?

The fact we have a wafer thin squad lands at Tufty's door and I'll criticise him for that rather than not being able to get a performance out of a squad that is shattered and punch drunk from losing...
Sorry, honest question, but I really don’t understand your position. Is he at fault for this or not then?

Sorry, honest question, but I really don’t understand your position. Is he at fault for this or not then?

He's at fault for spunking £23m on a 6th choice striker rather than buying midfield and RCB cover.

It's like going to Tesco and buying the ingredients for beef Wellington but then finding you need to cook a spag bol and you don't have anything like the right ingredients.

For me he's doing the best he can with the players we have, but ultimately he's responsible for us ending up with the players we have.

People screaming about formations and this player not playing, or why are we playing Lundstram are totally missing the point. You can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit and we went into this season with a big bag of chicken shit for a squad for which I'm afraid r'Chris has to shoulder the blame.

Very good of you to kindly point out that apparently 'you let yourself down by bringing in the 3rd division bollocks'. Could you be any more pretentious or patronising with that comment? Are you a teacher who spends their days marking student papers? As it happens, no I didn't, it just so happens you disagree. Tough shit.

Do I think he sends us out to get out arse spanked every game...? Er... yes of course he does. Fuk me sideways. Who said anything of the sort? Now who's talking bollocks?

Also Mr Billy Big Blade I don't need to 'trust you' about United's performance in the past. I've watched United a bloody long time also (since Jimmy Sirrel actually) so I was also there in the Happy Harry Haslam days also. But truth be known when you or I started watching Utd doesnt give any more credence to our respective opinions about thus current season. Just how many seasons do you need to have watched Utd then before you think someone can have a valid opinion about this seasons shit show?

Trust me, we were really shit last night, and I didn't need nearly 50 years of watching United to be able to realise that.
Just out of curiosity/pretentiousness. Which 3rd division team would have given Fulham a better game than us? I get that this season is a torturous season for everybody, and tempers are frayed, but if you genuinely believe in that statement, there’s no point us taking this any further, is there?

Just out of curiosity/pretentiousness. Which 3rd division team would have given Fulham a better game than us? I get that this season is a torturous season for everybody, and tempers are frayed, but if you genuinely believe in that statement, there’s no point us taking this any further, is there?

Anyone who doesn't think we'll be ultra competitive next season obviously hasn't watched a championship game this season.

As bad as we are, we're a top 6 side in the championship right now.

Well just for the sake of pretentiousness I would suggest that you read my previous post again. I said 'but you could have a league 1 side who caused more problems for Fulham's defence than we did last night'.

I didnt say there was league 1 teams who would be better than we were all over the park (but truth me known I'm sure there could have been as we were bloody awful last night as anyone who isn't totally biased could clearly see) but I do genuinely believe that most league 1 teams 'would have caused Fulhams defence more problems' and probably would have touched the ball in their box in the first half.

But you are right, if you continue to make up bollox or not bother reading other posters posts then no there isn't any point in continuing this conversation.

So we'll leave it there then.

The thing that worries me, and presumably many others, is that this isn't the same Chris Wilder that did so well at getting us up. It's a stubborn, mardy facsimile who'll blame anyone but his own choices (players, owners, VAR, luck, fans) and who refuses to countenance the idea of approaching things differently. His quote about the Premier League 'not having to put up with us for much longer' is defeatist, however he meant it.

The Championship is a fucking hard division to get out of. Last time we'd built upon the season before. What have we got to build upon this season? We've got a team that's completely unbalanced with personnel who can't play the only way the manager wants to. We weren't particularly good against Bristol City (yes, a win is a win, but we were pretty pedestrian), and they're on a proper downward spiral.

Something - possibly more than one thing - will have to change. Mentality, personnel, tactics, approach... if we carry on with the same, we're not going to be going up at the first time of asking, no matter how many times people say we will. If the real Chris Wilder can come back, we'll stand a bit more of a chance, but what about this season has suggested that he will? For me, nothing.

Anyone who doesn't think we'll be ultra competitive next season obviously hasn't watched a championship game this season.

As bad as we are, we're a top 6 side in the championship right now.
One thing that must be remembered that I haven't seen anyone mention is that the Championship season is 8 games longer, and 11 games longer if you go up in the playoffs.

If this season has taught us anything, it is that we do not have a big enough squad. We need a lot of new players.

agree again, things out of his control have affected us, whilst all teams have suffered the lack of fans, maybe our lads gained an extra percent or 2 that took them up a gear - maybe a neutral would say its a great leveller, but it has shafted us maybe more than others.

However, CV19 didnt sign Ramsdale, Brewster, Rodwell, Freeman, Ravel M., Jags - £50kpw), Fodderingham etc
Neither did it disregard the OLCB tactics that took us here and replace it with turgid slow slop.

I think the ultimate decision should hinge on whether he has 'lost the dressing room' now no one on here knows that

A clean slate CW is definitely the best man to move us forward
A broken CW with the baggage of a relegation, and lets be honest, this isnt Bournemouth going down on the last day of the season, this is a relegation car crash thats been on the cards since about October - for a man that cares for the club so much this must have taken its toll

Do we need a new broom to come in to create a new mood, or does CW have a point to prove

I honestly dont know, one minute I think 'look what he did to get us here, so it again', the next I believe hes lost his mojo, needs a break from football for a few months and he will go again (bit like Poch @ Spurs)

I cannot agree tho that he gets 2 years, and I think you know that really!
If we arent in the top 6 after 10 games next season I think that for all involved he will have to be replaced

Till then lets hope he can muster something that proves he still has it!!

Back
Top Bottom