Our Manager

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Funny cos the team I played for for 5 years had one. She helped loads of the lads, some of who initially took the piss about it and found the help invaluable, not just in their matchday approach but in life as well.
Well there’s always exceptions

Awful tactics, awful decisions and awful signings, In what’s been a truly awful season. But it is the measure of Chris Wilders achievements at this club, which dictates he still has plenty of credit left in the bank.
That is true but at some stage someone has to take responsibility.
What happens on the training ground? Is it something so utterly different from that being served up on the pitch in front of the cameras?

There's no other club in the world that is under such scrutiny as Sheffield United.

And I include MUFC in that.

Wilder is under intense pressure.
That may be true, but why is he under such pressure?

Many years ago I took a degree in Social Psychology which included non verbal communications. It's been many years since I used that training but for what it's worth I wouldn't see anything unusual about his body language. There are points that could be made about his eye contact and about his hands. If you were reaching you might point to voice tone.

To be honest, what I see is a disappointed bloke trying to give honest but difficult answers and thinking about what he's saying. I also see a bloke who has probably never been given a single pointer about how to make clear public presentations - which I think is more likely to be the root cause of his quite muddled and wandering comments, his eye contact etc.

But as I say, it's been a long time since I was involved in counseling and stuff - so I could be totally wrong. 😊
In that case the club has failed to prepare him properly.
Giving interviews, talking to the press, etc is part of a manager’s job.
It is kept something you necessarily pick up on the way.
You need to learn it, get advice, be shown the ropes.
It not rocket science but it doesn’t necessarily come naturally.
Public figures, MPs, wannabe MPs and the like all have training in front of cameras, are taught techniques, how to respond, etc.
Surely CW has gone through some of this?

It might be said that some of the substitutions he makes are far from impressive.

Norwood as a sub? Here's what I said in early December:

'Be more strategic with substitutions. I can't see there being any rational in bringing Norwood on yesterday for example.'

As for his recent press conference, it wasn't all bad and there were some things I agreed with but he should not say. The world is more sensitive than he thinks it is or should be.

If a potential new player saw that press conference would they want to be a part of that?

Norwood as a sub? Here's what I said in early December:

'Be more strategic with substitutions. I can't see there being any rational in bringing Norwood on yesterday for example.'

As for his recent press conference, it wasn't all bad and there were some things I agreed with but he should not say. The world is more sensitive than he thinks it is or should be.

If a potential new player saw that press conference would they want to be a part of that?
You should take up this management lark to be fair FM you seem to have all the answers.

It’s not about bringing politics into it for me, I genuinely don’t care. It’s just he’s becoming a bit incoherent as the season goes on. At times the rambling, and the ill-thought out diatribes come off unprofessional and cringey. I’m finding myself drawing breath whenever he speaks in public, a bit like when a steaming drunk uncle wants to make an impromptu speech at Nan’s wake.

It’s not about bringing politics into it for me, I genuinely don’t care. It’s just he’s becoming a bit incoherent as the season goes on. At times the rambling, and the ill-thought out diatribes come off unprofessional and cringey. I’m finding myself drawing breath whenever he speaks in public, a bit like when a steaming drunk uncle wants to make an impromptu speech at Nan’s wake.

Having watched a couple of his press conferences, I think its because the sports reporters never ask him a challenging or relevant question because he gets arsey as he did when questioned about his job after his team made the worst start in Premier league history

so he just rambles on for ages instead making daft comments without really addressing any of the pertinent points..

I think his press conferences tend to be very focused and considered. And VERY consistent. Whilst he plays up the “I’m a bit of a lad” schtick, he generally chooses his words very carefully. Setting aside the political thing, which is just something you would avoid wherever you sit as it’s a bit tin pot, that whole section of the press conference was a little bit of a word salad. Bit of a misjudgement in my opinion. But out of character, which is odd, I think we can agree. Obviously there’s massive pressure there but that’s a performance industry and he knows that.

We need some results CW.

Last edited:
I couldn’t care less what his politics are or what he says, the only problem with any comments is you leave yourself up to look like a prat and just add ammunition to people

He's wet the bed .
Yep, Wilder did 'wet the bed' ( to use another one of your childish sun reader-isms) given how much he was crying during that, ahem, "press conference". Take some responsibility Chris, there's a good lad. Anybody's fault but his, not a good look.

I took it when he said "lefties" he was meaning it in the internet sense of leftie sjw snowflake types who might get upset whenever someone says something they shouldn't. That might be me making the best of a bad comment but in the context of what he was talking about it was about him saying the things people tell him he shouldn't.

Can't say I'm an expert in sports psychology but I've always felt the "don't criticise your players in public" thing was a stupid football culture thing. Wilder isn't giving anything away by saying Kean Bryan's backpass was a huge mistake. Everyone already knew that. Kean Bryan already knew that. I think Wilder's point was that he isn't tearing them apart for mistakes behind the scenes so there's no reason he shouldn't acknowledge them in public.

He's in a position where he can't win. If he's open about things then he'll be ripped apart for it. If he isn't then people will call him delusional or say he's in denial. Fact is we've been awful, we're getting relegated, and there's nothing Wilder can say in an interview that will take away that misery for the fans.

I honestly want to be done with this season. As far as I'm concerned it's been a horrible time, it's not fixable any more, whatever's going on right now we've got a good manager who can do well in the Championship (better than any realistic alternatives at the very least). The sooner this season is over the better.

Let's be honest, I think if we had to guess a side of the political spectrum where Wilder would sit, it's the very much the right. His mates on Twitter are of that ilk and that usually decides where someone leans.

I wouldn't call myself a leftie, but I'm of the left and I'm not overly offended by what he said. I think it's daft and opens up divisions in our fanbase (as evidenced by this thread), but I'm not gonna get bent out of shape that he's not got the same views as I do. It doesn't matter.

I'm seen a number say they were losing faith in Wilder, now he's won them back. Absolute state of that. I never lost faith in him, and still won't. He's a fucking football manager. Not an MP. Mind you, Deano shouldn't get too excited about Wilder's political views; he's not exactly joined the South Yorkshire Proud Boys.

I took it when he said "lefties" he was meaning it in the internet sense of leftie sjw snowflake types who might get upset whenever someone says something they shouldn't. That might be me making the best of a bad comment but in the context of what he was talking about it was about him saying the things people tell him he shouldn't.

Can't say I'm an expert in sports psychology but I've always felt the "don't criticise your players in public" thing was a stupid football culture thing. Wilder isn't giving anything away by saying Kean Bryan's backpass was a huge mistake. Everyone already knew that. Kean Bryan already knew that. I think Wilder's point was that he isn't tearing them apart for mistakes behind the scenes so there's no reason he shouldn't acknowledge them in public.

He's in a position where he can't win. If he's open about things then he'll be ripped apart for it. If he isn't then people will call him delusional or say he's in denial. Fact is we've been awful, we're getting relegated, and there's nothing Wilder can say in an interview that will take away that misery for the fans.

I honestly want to be done with this season. As far as I'm concerned it's been a horrible time, it's not fixable any more, whatever's going on right now we've got a good manager who can do well in the Championship (better than any realistic alternatives at the very least). The sooner this season is over the better.
You may be right in what he meant but he is the manager of a premier league club and is a fully grown adult. He should know how to relay what he wants in a legible and mature way.

As for sports psychology, it isnt about not criticising players, everyone needs criticism to grow as people. It's about how players handle all types of situations, pressures during their careers. His inference that he cant say what he wants to players is bullshit and seems like an attempt to again deflect any blame for our massive fall from grace from himself.

You may be right in what he meant but he is the manager of a premier league club and is a fully grown adult. He should know how to relay what he wants in a legible and mature way.

As for sports psychology, it isnt about not criticising players, everyone needs criticism to grow as people. It's about how players handle all types of situations, pressures during their careers. His inference that he cant say what he wants to players is bullshit and seems like an attempt to again deflect any blame for our massive fall from grace from himself.
I don't think it was about what he could say to the players, I think he was talking about what's acceptable to say in public. We went through this with his comments about Henderson, and I was with him then too. But mostly my point is I think there's nothing a manager in his position can say that won't result in a lot of criticism. He said it's not down to the system it's down to players making errors and not performing as well as we've come to expect. I've said that for a long time.

If he comes out and takes the blame then people will say he's not good enough and should walk. If he comes out and criticises the players people will say he's throwing them under the bus. When Robson and Clough came out and acted indifferent under pressure then everyone moaned they don't care. He can't win and he's obviously feeling the strain. At least he cares, and at least he has a track record of success this season aside. So I just want to write this season off and move on.

Back
Top Bottom