Could going down be such a bad thing ?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I don't want us to go down, but the actual matchday experience around going to matches consistently at 3pm on a Saturday and on midweek evenings as opposed to watching us on Sky at 12:30 on a Sunday is better to do.
Correct me if l am wrong are the erratic times not due to Covid. Pre Covid we had more standard times. Also l remember being at matches in the championship where Sky TV is F**King was being sung because of kick off times.

Correct me if l am wrong are the erratic times not due to Covid. Pre Covid we had more standard times. Also l remember being at matches in the championship where Sky TV is F**King was being sung because of kick off times.

Maybe more so, but there was still loads before. There are games Friday/Sat/Sun/Mon every week in the PL.

In the Championship there might be one on Friday night and two on Sunday.

For me the term 'league' or 'division' should mean a collection of teams of a relatively equal standing, where any team can beat any other team, and finish anywhere come the end of the season. The Premier League is not a 'league' due to the wealth of certain clubs, and even a blind man on a galopping horse can predict 5 of the top 6 each season. I'd love it if the Premier League 'big boys' were to bugger off and join some European Super League.
The Championship is a proper league, and even with the shitty parachute payments skew is the most competitive in Europe. Roll on next season boys and girls, it's where our we belong according to our current wealth. UTB.

Don't get me wrong, of course I want us to be in the PL, receiving all the associated income / exposure etc. However, I also fucking hate the PL. The same 2 or 3 clubs fighting for the trophies; the same 5 or 6 clubs fighting for the Champions League; and the same 8 or 9 clubs hoping for the Europa League. Then you have 4 or 5 nowter clubs and the rest (3 plus the 3 promoted clubs) hoping to avoid relegation. By and large it is so predictable and quite frankly, boring. Even now I'd rather watch a Championship game on Sky rather than a PL game if it doesn't include us.

I much prefer the Championship for entertainment and genuine competition. I can't wait for next season. I don't think I've ever looked forward to a season more for years. Hopefully we will be there in person cheering on the mighty Blades. ⚔️ ⚔️ ⚔️

Why stop at the Championship? It was a better laugh in League One. We were winning most games, and anyone could get a ticket for an away game. Places like Swindon, Bury and Oldham were great days out. Shame we got promotion and the good times had to end

I am honestly not that arsed. Ive hated the prem as much as I did last time. Its not proper football , diving , cheating VAR ,big time charlies ,glory hunting fans ,it was good last season to try the new stadiums ,but we seemed to be in London every week ,cost a fortune. One season down ,regroup ,enjoy the excitement and winning ,Colin Murray instead of that cunt Lineker , Saturday games. Not the end of the world.
Completely agree with you.. I'm not even that bothered about going down. This virus has played a part on my opinion on that matter... I'd take playing in the championship and actually physically going to the games home and away, over watching this fake TV show we're watching at the minute in the premier league.

I did like the £30 ticket price cap last season for away games though!

I started going to games in '97. Since then I've had three seasons in the top flight. In not too long I'll be able to say that 2 out of 3 ended in relegation. I'd like to try a few more season up there before I say I'm bored of it.

I want to see United at their very best. I want to see us play in Europe. I want to see us try and win a cup. I want to see us sign players like Berge who, whether it pans out or not, are exciting prospects that might go on to be the very best. I want to see the highest quality football and have us compete with it. I like looking back and saying I got the chance to see Ronaldo play at the Lane. I like watching players like De Bruyne even when it hurts me to lose. I like watching other Prem games feeling as though we have a stake in the result.

All of that depends on us being in the top flight. And, whatever people say in their current mood, it wasn't very fun watching Kevin Blackwell even when he nearly got us promoted. It wasn't fun hearing Robson call the derby "just another game" before we rolled over for the pigs. It wasn't fun when we sold Deane and Fjortoft. It wasn't fun when Thompson ran the show. And it definitely wasn't fun getting relegated or spending six years climbing back to it.

We can all get starry eyed about playing in a more open division where anyone can win it, but let's not pretend that we didn't go through some misery down there too. And ultimately your only real prize is to get back to where we are now.

All that said, I won't miss VAR. I won't miss pretentious "fans" of certain clubs. I won't miss being patronised for being all about hard work even when we score a twenty odd pass goal. I won't miss commentators only using "United" to refer to the opposition when we're right there on the pitch. I won't miss daft o'clock kick-offs every week. I won't miss pundits pretending to know the first thing about how we play when they only ever watch the big clubs. And I won't miss the expectation of 20% possession as we try to pull off a miracle in at least ten games of every season.

Can't say I'm thrilled about going down, but honestly I just want this season over so I can look forward to us rebuilding and getting back to winning ways. I'm not pinning my hopes on us going straight back up without a problem but I am looking forward to next season's potential as an exciting one.

Well at least we'll have Benjamin Bloom to look forward to with our game analysis. Far superior to these crappy Premier TV pundits who are earning mega bucks in salaries and who talk out of their arses.
Haha I forgot about him! It'd be great to have him back again.

Don't get me wrong, of course I want us to be in the PL, receiving all the associated income / exposure etc. However, I also fucking hate the PL. The same 2 or 3 clubs fighting for the trophies; the same 5 or 6 clubs fighting for the Champions League; and the same 8 or 9 clubs hoping for the Europa League. Then you have 4 or 5 nowter clubs and the rest (3 plus the 3 promoted clubs) hoping to avoid relegation. By and large it is so predictable and quite frankly, boring. Even now I'd rather watch a Championship game on Sky rather than a PL game if it doesn't include us.

I much prefer the Championship for entertainment and genuine competition. I can't wait for next season. I don't think I've ever looked forward to a season more for years. Hopefully we will be there in person cheering on the mighty Blades. ⚔️ ⚔️ ⚔️
When I was a kid and went down to the Lane with my Dad he used to say ..." Money will spoil Football." He used to say a lot more as well, sounding off if we lost about how he stopped playing when he was better than " half of that lot.." but that was him just letting off steam.
But I think he was right about the money angle. Apart from Leicester who apart from the big richer clubs have won the Premier League in the last 15 years.?
Its becoming too predictable. Snake's post has hit the nail on the head. But what is the answer.?

This thread is the football equivalent of being dumped by a bird and trying to save face by telling your mates you dumped her.

There are literally no positives to relegation unless you love supporting a mediocre football club that constantly underachieves.

I just can’t imagine the majority of other Premier League club’s fans thinking this way at all. It just seems to be that once again Sheffielders see second best as some sort of badge of honour.
Of course there are things that will be a positive of going down....

No VAR, Saturday 3pm KOs, less diving/cheating, worldwide fans who actually have never even been to a game and biased one eyedmedua coverage etc BUT....

I am with YES Blade

Surely the whole point of Sport and Football is being the best you can. In my lifetime other than a 3/4 year period early 90s we have never established (not even sure we did then) ourselves as a top flight club. Indeed in the last 45 years we have spent 6 seasons up there and only 3 in the last 25 years.

I'd agree that is the point of the club or certainly elite sport, but it's not the point of fans or following a club unless you're just consuming it on TV and you just want as much of it to be available as possible with the highest profile and course the best players.
I've had several amazing seasons watching us and only half one of those was in the Premier League, so the league isn't what I go to watch us for.
Of course as a supporter I loved watching the best players in the country until last March and I'd very much like us to play at that level every week and grow as a club, but that takes time.
I'm still considering this as part of the journey from L1, and if the next part is to watch the exciting young squad we've been building rip it up in the Championship then so be it. This isn't defeatist or a small club mentality its simply seeing things for the way they are.
To become the club you both seem to be wanting us to be, it needs massive investment of a level similar to Villa and we simply do not have the owners or the maturity as a modern top club to deliver that. So we do what we have to do, and continue to build and grow season on season.
We go down, we maintain a good wage bill and keep a large proportion of the quality we have and strengthen from there. That's exciting.
Who knows if this will return us back to this league next season, I think it has a very good chance but others will disagree.
What I do know is that the journey is more important than the destination and it's certainly more interesting.

Last edited:
When we go down we will be trying our best to get back up. If we do come back up we will all be ecstatic. I don't really understand when we've worked so hard to get here why we would be 'happy' to go back down.

Getting relegated means that the top teams may not be interested in picking up our first team players, but instead look at our promising crop of youth players that are coming through.

Getting relegated is NEVER a good thing.

Honestly don't care. Whilst football is no more than a TV show, who cares?

You do wonder how far down the TV route football will go at times, maybe it will end up a bit like The Running Man?

Harry Kane scores a goal - free Papa Johns Pizza

Ederson keeps a clean sheet - £25 Amazon Voucher

Oli Norwood beats the first man at a corner - Fortnight in the Maldives

l do not understand how any true supporter can say they prefer being in the championship rather than the prem. Every year the gap between the two divisions gets wider & wider. We are already at a point where we can barely compete in the top league even 1/2 seasons out of it makes it harder. I would much rather finish 17th in the prem every year even if it means we lose more than we win, then not be in it.

For the first time in my lifetime we have ambitious owners who will reinvest the money we make in to the infrastructure of the club that will make it a better club and once we have that in place i.e. training facilities, recruitment, brand awareness etc, we will be a better proposition for future investors and then slowly start improving league positions.

Finally this might get me some abuse, but l am not from Sheffield and as a Surrey boy mixing with fellow blades at matches my opinion is that blades from Sheffield are a very negative breed and almost brow beaten by everything and instead of enjoying the good times some supporters ( classic example- FMBlade) almost cant wait for it to go bad and take a perverse delight in it. Rant over.
i dont prefer to be in the championship but whats the point being in a league where you cant compete financially and that is the premier league at this time until we can pay premier league salaries its just a waste of time i would sooner see us winning some games at a lower level than getting beat every week which is what is happening this season so i disagree with your post sorry

i dont prefer to be in the championship but whats the point being in a league where you cant compete financially and that is the premier league at this time until we can pay premier league salaries its just a waste of time i would sooner see us winning some games at a lower level than getting beat every week which is what is happening this season so i disagree with your post sorry
Ancient nail on head it's about competing financially on on a more than even playing field, the PL as you say doesn't allow for this yes we've got money but nothing like the top 6. Being in the Premier League for us is like having champagne ideas and, brown ale pockets.

I just wish we'd invested more in the facilities and sorted the kop extension out whilst we were at this level. I argued this at the start of the season and was told we'd get relegated if we went down that route...

Premiership football is great, all the suck ass shit that accompanies it makes me hate it. It’s all geared up for those in top 6.

The shite football influencer bollocks that’s getting thrown out there and ex footballers in turtle necks and loafers with no socks talking about potential transfers makes me vomit.

Any division PL or below, I want to be at a ground, home or away,Saturday at 3 and Tuesday at 7:45. To talk about players playing football not how much they cost and supporting a club that has an identity, not one that has more fans globally than the city they play footy in

Deserves many likes, this.

There are no benefits to going down whatsoever.
None, absolutely none.

Even fans of small League One or League Two clubs don't see any benefit whatsoever in getting relegated rather than improving sufficiently.

What the fuck is wrong with people from Sheffield ?

I mean seriously, what the fuck is wrong with them, the backward c@nts

For me the term 'league' or 'division' should mean a collection of teams of a relatively equal standing, where any team can beat any other team, and finish anywhere come the end of the season. The Premier League is not a 'league' due to the wealth of certain clubs, and even a blind man on a galopping horse can predict 5 of the top 6 each season. I'd love it if the Premier League 'big boys' were to bugger off and join some European Super League.
The Championship is a proper league, and even with the shitty parachute payments skew is the most competitive in Europe. Roll on next season boys and girls, it's where our we belong according to our current wealth. UTB.
Blind man on a galloping horse !!
I haven’t heard that for years

There are no benefits to going down whatsoever.
None, absolutely none.

Even fans of small League One or League Two clubs don't see any benefit whatsoever in getting relegated rather than improving sufficiently.

What the fuck is wrong with people from Sheffield ?

I mean seriously, what the fuck is wrong with them, the backward c@nts
the point is jj we havent got the money to improve sufficiently as you put it and until we have we cant survive in the modern day premier league no its not nice getting relegated from any decision and ive seen us relegated numerous times from different leagues but its not the end of the world i think we will come back up but if we dont maybe 2 or 3 years in the championship will stabilise us and give us some time to find new investors who can provide the financial clout you need to stay in the premier league

Some people on this board felt that relegation in 2011 could be a good thing.

I think we can all agree it was not.

the last 3 top flight relegations have seen us take 14, 12 and 12 years to return to the top flight. In 2 of those spells we were relegated further in the interim.

Given the way this season has gone I don’t think anyone can be confident that our stay outside the PL will be a short one. It might be, but we might as easily turn into Birmingham or Derby. Or worse.
I'm scratching my head as to how our fans are so confident of a quick return next season, I've been watching the blades 50odd years and can determine a good side from a bad one, this one this season as been a fucking disaster, and in my opinion half the team look so far out of there depth it's embarrasing, hopefully next season we can get back on track but history says different.

I prefer the PL where, occasionally we give the "big six" a fright and even beat them. And I prefer the match day atmosphere with a packed house BUT
we need a couple of seasons in the Championship to replace the debris and rebuild. I don't share the theory either that we will simply spring back.

whether ive accepted it already or not, it's still going to sting when we're confirmed as down. Isn't going to feel good at all.

That said, I will still look forward to next season. I like the champ for different reasons and hope to be able to make the most of it regardless.

Back
Top Bottom