Could going down be such a bad thing ?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

It's never a good thing to be relegated, but at the moment I'm not really fussed. The only thing I'm looking forward to is a proper matchday, regardless of what division we're in when that happens again.

The Prince is only it it for one thing - money!!
forget "ambition and drive " - it's all about money
Can somebody tell me why the " Prince " opted in to our Club.? Let's apply a bit of lateral thinking to this query. Has he been following us for decades? Is he looking for a Club to hoist him into the Global top echelons of Club owners.? Does he see himself following that Sheik who's locked up his daughters and hob nobbing with the Queen ? Is it just an ego trip.?
Like that US Senator said,,...." If somebody says its not about the money....its about the money.."

I have had a look at the whole thread. No one is actually saying that relegation is a good thing as Revolution claims. They were trying to think of the positives playing in the lower division rather than saying relegation is a good thing.

My best seasons of watching the Blades have been in the top division or promotion to the top tier. I hated us being in the 3rd or 4th tier and I cringe when some say that 1981-82 was their best season.

https://www.s24su.com/forum/index.php?threads/worried-about-the-future.23112/#post-334100

'League 1 will only do us good'

Honestly this sentiment was all over the board at the time. It wasn't the opinion of the majority, obviously, but lot's of people thought relegation would do us the power of good.

Going down will be a good thing. I truly believe that.
well its not doing norwich too much harm is it my concern is that we will just become a yo-yo club while ever we havent got the investment needed to sustain premier league football but although dissapointing to be relegated at least we should be able to compete at championship level

For me it is always about watching a game where your team can be competitive and in with a chance of winning irrespective who you are playing in the division. Last year came pretty close but the Premiership as a rule is no level playing field. How can it be when the same clubs, year after year get the opportunity to compete against European opposition when the rest of the division teams don’t? Personally, I dislike the European formats intensely, much better when it was a knockout competition from the beginning and now it’s a Champions League where you don’t have to be Champions of your league to win it.

Playing in the Championship for a while is not a disaster. More games to go to every season, which is why we like football in the first place. No VAR, a chance to be competitive in every game instead of having to park the bus for 20% of matches, being able to get a ticket without having to pay through the nose for a membership, more sensible kick off days and times.

Promotion to the Premiership this time was welcome because the team and club deserved it and it was always going to be exciting to see how far we could go. Last season was a fantastic achievement and while this season is a shocker, I cant come to a concrete conclusion about us while there are no fans in the ground. The results -rather than performances - in the FA Cup seem to suggest that we would be in with a shout of a top six finish next year but a few dreadful displays like that on Saturday in any division would quickly have us looking at the clubs below us rather than the ones above or around us.

The games all about winning, the feel good factor from a win regardless of what division your in, far outweighs the division.

Running to get your bus or the car with kids is ten times better with 3 points under your belt.

If good football comes with it hey that's a bonus- Coutts , Duffy, Fleck football - wow that was good.

Losing and shit football- that's a double whammy of misery.

And Chris has given us an amazing ride - and that's why I'd stick with him. People moan about what he should do, and what he should say, and what he's doing wrong. But truth told he's gold dust he cares about us and he'll get it right next year. The interview after Fulham was a bloke who's trying everything- nothing he says is right for some at the moment. Lets face it the cupboard and options for him was threadbare.

McBurnie/ Moose/ Brewster - massive let downs but on paper the due diligence was done and all looked plausible - nobody bemoaned these signings.

Lets not get rid of this gem for a daft stab in the dark, he's done he'll do it again- his record is stained once- give the guy a break.

I'm confident going down will be good for us. We need some space to get back to what we are, and get our team re-figured out. We just arent going to get that on the job in the premier league.

We went up, snatched some good players, go down with a better team of players we could never have got near to in previous years. If we have to go back down and consolidate, so be it. Long term we are so much further ahead than we were, i dont see this as the end of the party.

how can we stay in the top league if we cant afford to bring quality players in to stay there your point is not valid find us an owner who can find salaries of 60k a week and upwards and we would have a chance of staying there

How did we get promoted out of the Championship with the 6th lowest wage budget? There are other ways and means.

You also have to accept that there is always a likelihood of relegation as more than half the clubs currently in the PL will be treading that path in the next half dozen years.

Being in good health to compete back for promotion straight away is the key when that happens.

Just one poster who hasnt been in this forum since 2011? Revolution clearly claimed "Some people in here". Nothing to see.

It was definitely fairly common. I couldn't tell you which if any current posters said it, but it was an oft-expressed sentiment.

It's hard to search for 2011 threads otherwise I'd have more example.

We went up, snatched some good players, go down with a better team of players we could never have got near to in previous years. -- Long term we are so much further ahead than we were, i dont see this as the end of the party.
Could someone, finally, demonstrate as to just how we're a better team compared to the one that got us promoted to the PL? Now that you've stated it, care to explain? I'm deadly serious; I can't see anything remotely like that myselft. But I'd simply want to understand as to how the thought process goes. So, again, just how is the team better?

Could someone, finally, demonstrate as to just how we're a better team compared to the one that got us promoted to the PL? Now that you've stated it, care to explain? I'm deadly serious; I can't see anything remotely like that myselft. But I'd simply want to understand as to how the thought process goes. So, again, just how is the team better?

Hi mate thanks for the question.

We have more, talented players now than when we came up.

If youre talking about form, i dont think anybody's arguing that we're playing better than we did back then.

Can somebody tell me why the " Prince " opted in to our Club.? Let's apply a bit of lateral thinking to this query. Has he been following us for decades? Is he looking for a Club to hoist him into the Global top echelons of Club owners.? Does he see himself following that Sheik who's locked up his daughters and hob nobbing with the Queen ? Is it just an ego trip.?
Like that US Senator said,,...." If somebody says its not about the money....its about the money.."
The reasons for the Prince getting involved can be debated and the pros and cons of his court victory are still not completely clear, but I'm sorry to have to interject here, that I think it's borderline racist to take someone who has done something criminal and equate the Prince with him purely on the basis that they are both arabs. There is a lot wrong with the culture of Middle Eastern Islam, particularly in relation to women's rights and gay rights, but I don't know where the Prince stands on any of it and wouldn't jump to conclusions.
The biggest issue as far as I'm concerned is that he has bought into the club, then taken over the club, but doesn't appear to have any money worth speaking of. On that count, McCabe appears to have been right. The Prince generally makes all the right noises and I'm certainly happier with him than any of a number of alternative big-buck owners, but we've just been on the harsh end of a lesson about what it means to be in the PL and poor. Will the Prince ever be able to remedy that?

If youre talking about form, i dont think anybody's arguing that we're playing better than we did back then.
On Saturday, we started with Baldock,Stevens,Basham,Fleck,Lundstram, Bryan,Sharp....all from.our championship squad.

The four others were:
Ramsdale- not as talented as Henderson
McBurnie- not as talented as McGoldrick
Ampadu- not as talented as JOC
Jags- back up only

Run that more talented players comment by me again will you 😁

Thanks for the reply. And I mean it. But just who are the somewhat many, more talented players we now have and didin't have before? Ramsdale? (vs. Henderson)? McBurnie, Brewster, Burke? Moose? Lowe?

Might be a better idea to knock promotion and relegation on the head and have something akin to the NFL system..

Tin hat firmly planted on head.

Has this club ever had so many exciting young players?

Berge/Mcburnie/Brewster/Bogle/Burke/ plus coulibaly in Belgium and arari in the yooof

Going down would give them the chance to develop a lot easier than fighting relegation again and become far better players for it

Could going down be such a bad thing ?

Yes.

The reasons for the Prince getting involved can be debated and the pros and cons of his court victory are still not completely clear, but I'm sorry to have to interject here, that I think it's borderline racist to take someone who has done something criminal and equate the Prince with him purely on the basis that they are both arabs. There is a lot wrong with the culture of Middle Eastern Islam, particularly in relation to women's rights and gay rights, but I don't know where the Prince stands on any of it and wouldn't jump to conclusions.
The biggest issue as far as I'm concerned is that he has bought into the club, then taken over the club, but doesn't appear to have any money worth speaking of. On that count, McCabe appears to have been right. The Prince generally makes all the right noises and I'm certainly happier with him than any of a number of alternative big-buck owners, but we've just been on the harsh end of a lesson about what it means to be in the PL and poor. Will the Prince ever be able to remedy that?
Not equating the Prince with anybody and as far as I know the Sheik has not been convicted of any criminality as you assert above.

On Saturday, we started with Baldock,Stevens,Basham,Fleck,Lundstram, Bryan,Sharp....all from.our championship squad.

The four others were:
Ampadu- not as talented as JOC
Jags- back up only

Run that more talented players comment by me again will you 😁

How did that game go again? I know you're just asking a rhetorical question for the crowd there, but lets have a go anyway

McBurnie Championship 18/19 - 22 Goals in 42 games. 17/18 - 9 goals in 16. 2 rough years in the premier, in a team whose strikers don't score goals. Was also our joint top scorer last year (how many did dids get?)

McGoldrick Championship 18/19 - 15 Goals in 45 games. 17/18 - 6 goals in 22.

Worth noting he got the same amount of assists as Mcgoldrick in that last championship season too. More goals in less games, same assists in a worse team.

I really like mcgoldrick btw, you're just forcing a comparison.

We didn't own Henderson. Is he more talented than Simon Moore?

Thanks, moving on.

Others

Bogle - regarded as our shining light this year and looks a real talent. Most would want him to keep Baldock out of the team, so yeah I'd say we've improved the position.

Brewster - championship 19/20 - 10 goals in 20. can't judge him this year to be honest, he looks lost. To me though that doesn't mean he is lacking talent and given his pedigree, last year and his age I think it's a reasonable thought he will be a great player. And definitely, definitely one we couldn't have got our hands on 2 years ago.

Berge - I think he is our most talented midfielder. Young and would be a massive, massive player for us next year.

the others, Burke, Moose, Lowe, etc could be great, could not be. I honestly think they make our squad better than when we came up and we will see. Definitely think they've generally higher ceilings than what we had as backup promotion year.

Flying Duck - some of the thoughts here bud. Its all opinions. I'm not as low on our signings as most. I think we've signed young, improving players who are going to contibute to us having a stronger, better team than we had in 18/19

Last edited:
Not equating the Prince with anybody and as far as I know the Sheik has not been convicted of any criminality as you assert above.
I didn't say he had been convicted. Are you saying that you don't think the Sheik who you brought into the conversation has done anything criminal?

How did that game go again? I know you're just asking a rhetorical question for the crowd there, but lets have a go anyway

McBurnie Championship 18/19 - 22 Goals in 42 games. 17/18 - 9 goals in 16. 2 rough years in the premier, in a team whose strikers don't score goals. Was also our joint top scorer last year (how many did dids get?)

McGoldrick Championship 18/19 - 15 Goals in 45 games. 17/18 - 6 goals in 22.

Worth noting he got the same amount of assists as Mcgoldrick in that last championship season too. More goals in less games, same assists in a worse team.

I really like mcgoldrick btw, you're just forcing a comparison.

We didn't own Henderson. Is he more talented than Simon Moore?

Thanks, moving on.

Others

Bogle - regarded as our shining light this year and looks a real talent. Most would want him to keep Baldock out of the team, so yeah I'd say we've improved the position.

Brewster - championship 19/20 - 10 goals in 20. can't judge him this year to be honest, he looks lost. To me though that doesn't mean he is lacking talent and given his pedigree, last year and his age I think it's a reasonable thought he will be a great player. And definitely, definitely one we couldn't have got our hands on 2 years ago.

Berge - I think he is our most talented midfielder. Young and would be a massive, massive player for us next year.

the others, Burke, Moose, Lowe, etc could be great, could not be. I honestly think they make our squad better than when we came up and we will see. Definitely think they've generally higher ceilings than what we had as backup promotion year.

Its all opinions. I'm not as low on our signings as most. I think we've signed young, improving players who are going to contibute to us having a stronger, better team than we had in 18/19
Obviously I was referring to the team against Fulham however, I wonder if CW rates Brewster as he didnt even bring him on at the weekend (for Sharp I would suggest) when we were chasing he game.

Berge, doesnt appear to fit our system. At the moment we have only seen glimpses. He may be a good player but I dont think he will be with us next season

Bogle......CW didnt start him in a crunch game. Better defensively than Baldock ?

I think one of the big mistakes Wilder has made since being promoted is filling the squad with back ups ( in the main) rather than getting new signings to replace existing first team players with the latter then becoming the back ups

I didn't say he had been convicted. Are you saying that you don't think the Sheik who you brought into the conversation has done anything criminal?
I'm sorry , I said he had ..."locked up his daughters,".... you said ..." someone who has done something criminal"....
You are saying he is a criminal, not me, and to be a criminal as far as I know you have to be convicted of something. What????

People expect us to be constantly improving and constantly winning success is not linear and does not continue there are bumps in the road.

Look at Liverpool we have almost had identical seasons in comparison

Both lost there most important player for how they play in Van Djik/JOC both clearly burnt out after years of success

No need to over-react and sell everyone or sack the manager , completely changing what has been the most successful team we have possibly ever had would be the definition of stupidity

Go down build around the yoooof and go again after CW has had 2 weeks on the beach

I'm sorry , I said he had ..."locked up his daughters,".... you said ..." someone who has done something criminal"....
You are saying he is a criminal, not me, and to be a criminal as far as I know you have to be convicted of something. What????
He arranged for her forced kidnap from a ship she was fleeing on first, in case you didn't know. You brought it up, if it wasn't for the sake of making the Sheik look like a bad person, then I'm not sure why you mentioned it. So I'll ask again, do you think locking up his daughter is criminal?

This thread is the football equivalent of being dumped by a bird and trying to save face by telling your mates you dumped her.

There are literally no positives to relegation unless you love supporting a mediocre football club that constantly underachieves.

I just can’t imagine the majority of other Premier League club’s fans thinking this way at all. It just seems to be that once again Sheffielders see second best as some sort of badge of honour.
Premiership? I wasn't that into her anyway. Probably did me a favour 😂

He arranged for her forced kidnap from a ship she was fleeing on first, in case you didn't know. You brought it up, if it wasn't for the sake of making the Sheik look like a bad person, then I'm not sure why you mentioned it. So I'll ask again, do you think locking up his daughter is criminal?
Are you being deliberately obtuse or what,? Yes, I saw Panorama last week. He is not a criminal until he is convicted of a criminal offence. He may or may not be an autocratic, narcissistic ruler of a despotic kingdom. He is not a criminal which is what you asserted. Have you got it now.?

Going down will be a good thing. I truly believe that.
keep on believing pal.

remember what Shankly told his players at L'pool when he took over........" Throw away your runner -up medals, they mean you're second best.."

Back
Top Bottom