Is Wilder Really Going To See This Out?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Disagree
Berge, Burke and Brewster are better than what we have/had.
Bogle and Lowe are better squad members than those that came up with us.
Osborne is a general improvement too.
Granted they are all struggling in the Premiership but overall the first team and squad are stronger
Pity they aren't producing

chris has really dissapointed me as well by sticking stubbornly to this system it was never going to carry on working at this level and against premier league managers thought he was a bit more progressive than this

Disagree
Berge, Burke and Brewster are better than what we have/had.
Bogle and Lowe are better squad members than those that came up with us.
Osborne is a general improvement too.
Granted they are all struggling in the Premiership but overall the first team and squad are stronger
That maybe true.
But the aim of recruitment is surely to ensure we are strong enough and have the added ability to stay in the Premier League.
General improvement, as good as it sounds, is what you do when you are established in that league.
We seem to have fallen a long way short of doing what was needed to stay up.
We have utterly failed to do the most important and essential thing.
Are you correct in what you say about those named players? None of them, to my mind, have improved the team we put on the pitch in the games we had prior to Christmas 2019 or possibly, since Berge arrived when we were at Palace early last year.

Lowe has appeared garbage, agreed. However, so did Coutts, Basham, JOC etc, after similar amounts of football, at a much lower level.
I’m only going by what I’ve seen and been told by Derby fans. They didn’t understand why we signed Lowe, but the rumour from their end is that Bogle had a big sell on clause to Swindon so we paid more for Lowe and less for Bogle so they could keep more of the profit.

Osborn is better cover than Lowe, we didn’t need to spend money on him. I’d of preferred to see us pursue a midfield option instead of him.

I’m only going by what I’ve seen and been told by Derby fans. They didn’t understand why we signed Lowe, but the rumour from their end is that Bogle had a big sell on clause to Swindon so we paid more for Lowe and less for Bogle so they could keep more of the profit.
Why is everything in life so corrupt? A deal was done in good faith then scuppered by charlatans supported by shyster lawyers.
Sadly it was ever thus.
Then poor old Lowe becomes our fan's scapegoat and gets pelters for not being good enough. (If true of course).

Osborn is better cover than Lowe, we didn’t need to spend money on him. I’d of preferred to see us pursue a midfield option instead of him.
Yet I’ve heard Deby fans who really rated him. Their opinion was split, I believe.

--You do realise even the worlds greatest managers have signings that don’t work out. The great sir Alex Ferguson had plenty of duds, difference is he could just go out and sign another player. --
It's not me you're asking, but I'm commenting anyways. Do you realise that that our transfer policy since we got promoted is actually so abysmal, that I'm pretty sure an average joe preferring to watch the NBA couldn't have done much worse?

This isn't a go at Wilder, and should not be taken as an offense to him. Obviously many people have been involved, many currents have had their influence etc. But I still stand behind my assesment/opinion.

Wouldn't it be better not to talk about Ferguson or some others in this context? I mean, that doesn't really have any relevance to us, and then, even with the spending power such managers have had, I struggle to remember a club failing so drastically in the transfer policy as what's happened with us lately. I'm sure there are examples, but then we talk about clubs with ex-managers and ex-CEOs. The comparisons are not made with some hugely respected managers and well run clubs.

I feel that you can only think long term when you're trying to get promoted or you're an established top level team without any huge fear of being relegated. Someone like Everton or Arsenal could implement a 3/4/5 year plan and sign players who might come good while still having the clout behind them to be able to compete in the here and now.

We've done exactly what we did last year, which was sign players who we thought could compete at the top level but if we went down, could take us straight back up. Thing is, they kept us up last year so the assumption looks like that we could back-fill with potential and squad players while the existing ones got the job done again.
Problem now is the players that could compete last year have been found out. We aren't an unknown quantity any more, the manager thinks the system is fine- it WAS fine but people watch videos, study tactics, stats and god knows what else and know what to do about us. Pin the wing backs in, press Norwood, put crosses on top of Ramsdale. All we're left with is to hit and hope that the ball sticks up front or rely on a mistake. Couple that with JOC being injured, Henderson going back, Berge injured, Lundstram's contract, Mousset not being fit, everyone else a year older and most of them on the down grade now and some questionable recruitment and we're in a mess that's shittier than my son's nappy.

Wilder is the chief culprit behind this mess but the big question is whether he can swallow his pride and admit he fucked it up. We're stuck with a lot of these guys for a while, nobody will want to take them off our hands, confidence is shot and we're a pretty unattractive proposition at the moment for any new signings.

It's not me you're asking, but I'm commenting anyways. Do you realise that that our transfer policy since we got promoted is actually so abysmal, that I'm pretty sure an average joe preferring to watch the NBA couldn't have done much worse?

This isn't a go at Wilder, and should not be taken as an offense to him. Obviously many people have been involved, many currents have had their influence etc. But I still stand behind my assesment/opinion.

Wouldn't it be better not to talk about Ferguson or some others in this context? I mean, that doesn't really have any relevance to us, and then, even with the spending power such managers have had, I struggle to remember a club failing so drastically in the transfer policy as what's happened with us lately. I'm sure there are examples, but then we talk about clubs with ex-managers and ex-CEOs. The comparisons are not made with some hugely respected managers and well run clubs.
Those abysmal signings helped us to reach once of the highest positions in our history. Yes they aren’t doing the business this season that’s not an argument but let’s not go over the top. Let’s maybe give them a bit more time get some games in the championship on their backs and see how they go then. Don’t forget they are all young lads still learning their trade but having to do so in the toughest league in the world.

Those abysmal signings helped us to reach once of the highest positions in our history. -- Let’s maybe give them a bit more time get some games in the championship on their backs and see how they go then. Don’t forget they are all young lads still learning their trade but having to do so in the toughest league in the world.
When saying that the signings helped us to reach one of the highest psitions in our history, just who do you have in mind? I mean, the starting eleven stayed pretty much the same as it was in the Championship the season before. Usually out of the eleven men on field, ten were from that previously established lineup. Mousset probably paid his price with those goals of his, but I can't see a striker worth of £ 20m bagging six goals in a season as a good signing. Also, we broke our transfer record first signing Luke Freeman, then Callum Robinson. How did they do?

I'm not forgetting the fact that these players are youngsters, but I fail to see the relevance of it here. I suspect we all wanted to stay in the PL, and thus we couldn't really have afforded to sign players, who are still learning their trade ona lower level of performance that is essential. The more so, as you say, we play in the toughest league in the world.

I do feel sorry for Rammers and Brewster - the price tags are not their fault. But PL football is some cruel business.

Btw, somewhat out of topic, but I feel for both Freeman and Robinson. Freeman was never really given a chance, and I'd be much comfortable back in the Championship with C. Robinson in our side than Burke.

When saying that the signings helped us to reach one of the highest psitions in our history, just who do you have in mind? I mean, the starting eleven stayed pretty much the same as it was in the Championship the season before. Usually out of the eleven men on field, ten were from that previously established lineup. Mousset probably paid his price with those goals of his, but I can't see a striker worth of £ 20m bagging six goals in a season as a good signing. Also, we broke our transfer record first signing Luke Freeman, then Callum Robinson. How did they do?

I'm not forgetting the fact that these players are youngsters, but I fail to see the relevance of it here. I suspect we all wanted to stay in the PL, and thus we couldn't really have afforded to sign players, who are still learning their trade ona lower level of performance that is essential. The more so, as you say, we play in the toughest league in the world.

I do feel sorry for Rammers and Brewster - the price tags are not their fault. But PL football is some cruel business.

Btw, somewhat out of topic, but I feel for both Freeman and Robinson. Freeman was never really given a chance, and I'd be much comfortable back in the Championship with C. Robinson in our side than Burke.
I agree with a lot of what you've written but I think you're being a little hard on McBurnie. Six goals in his first PL season wasn't a bad return when you look at some players who went for similar or higher fees that same summer. Admittedly he has struggled this season but so has the whole team. For me, the biggest issue with McBurnie is that his presence in the team coincides with us playing a lot of long balls and it simply hasn't been effective. But he doesn't pick the team or choose the tactics.

I agree with a lot of what you've written but I think you're being a little hard on McBurnie. Six goals in his first PL season wasn't a bad return when you look at some players who went for similar or higher fees that same summer. Admittedly he has struggled this season but so has the whole team. For me, the biggest issue with McBurnie is that his presence in the team coincides with us playing a lot of long balls and it simply hasn't been effective. But he doesn't pick the team or choose the tactics.
I really want to like McBurnie, I really do, and, as you say, he doesn't pick the team or choose the tactics . On balance id keep him for next season, but he'd have to go following our inevitable return to the Prem.

I really want to like McBurnie, I really do, and, as you say, he doesn't pick the team or choose the tactics . On balance id keep him for next season, but he'd have to go following our inevitable return to the Prem.
I think he's an okay squad player in the Premier League, for the reasons I mentioned. Six goals in his first season at this level is respectable and he got in the sort of positions to score more with slightly better finishing. He's proven at Championship level. I think most of the criticism he gets from our fans is unfair.

Should Swansea go up, they may come back for him? Me, I'd keep him.

I disagree about Burke he has been superb for us he causes all sorts of problems. Yes he needs to work hard on his finishing but if we can polish that then he will be some players especially in the championship.

I think that with the right recruitment, a few of the current ugly ducks could shine in the championship, as always we shall have to wait and see

I disagree about Burke he has been superb for us he causes all sorts of problems. Yes he needs to work hard on his finishing but if we can polish that then he will be some players especially in the championship.
I can see what you're saying re Burke, but I guess it's, after all, about an opinion. To disrupt the opponent's game is obviously important, but I don't personally see that quality as equally important as actually scoring goals. And you know, there are players out there, who can both be a disruptive element to the opponent's playmaking whilst still ne able to score, too. F*ck me, it sounds pathetic if the best one can say of one of our summer signins, a striker, that "he causes all sorts of problems." Pardon my French + no offence.

I also wonder whether the suggestion for Oli to work on his finishing abilities - we're talking about a PL striker here - is something footballing people at large wouldn't laugh out at. And loud. Who the h*ll in their right mind would buy a striker to be fielded in the PL, if he still needed to do some serious work with his finishing abilities?? I'm just not getting it.

Should Swansea go up, they may come back for him? Me, I'd keep him.
i'd let him go while ever were playing this system he doesnt fit us same as luke freeman and callum robinson didnt both of mcburnie and robinson were at their best for swansea and preston playing in a front 3 in the 433 set up

That’s what you do with managers. You do realise even the worlds greatest managers have signings that don’t work out. The great sir Alex Ferguson had plenty of duds, difference is he could just go out and sign another player. The risk is so much more for us because we cannot cover our arse with other signings and the players we can get aren’t ready made premier league players.
I'm of the opinion that no matter how many times we get tonked on the way to our inevitable relegation, there's nobody I'd rather have at the helm in the Championship next season.

The ownership seem to think so too, but what are the chances that he'll stay? He has a remarkable record of never having been relegated and his first one is about to come with the club he loves.
I'm not sure he'll have the will or the resources to comprehensively restructure a now redundant squad. Maybe the environment is so toxic and there are issues that we aren't privy to which means he can go no further?

I don't give a fuck about relegation at this point, but facing next season without him makes me very concerned, all I can see in his wake is a string of inferior managers dragging us progressively further into obscurity, much like the period between 2007-2011.

I hope I'm wrong, I hope I'm very wrong.
I really do hope he sees the season out........But if he did get the chop, it would surely have to be something to do with the turgid performances and not the inevitable relegation.

When we were in the depths of League 1, I think it was the second or third season there, a bloke I knew died suddenly, unexpectedly, of a heart attack. He was mid 50's and a big Blade. We used to chat about football whenever we saw each other, usually in our local pub. We used to talk about the Warnock years, that final game of the season that sent us down, out of the Premier League, and would we ever see the Blades back in the top flight in our lifetime.

He never saw Chris Wilder, the 100 points, Billy Sharp scoring 30+ goals, Coutts and Duffy, and the eventual promotion to the top flight in World football.

There were times, after Andrew died, that I had the same thoughts, would I ever see the Blades in the top tier again?

I sometimes think some of our fans need to remember that a few short years ago, we were worried about playing the likes of Scunthorpe and Shrewsbury, away days were down to Milton Keynes, or over to Oldham, the TV camera's were picking up Kyle Walker sat in the crowd watching us play Stevenage away, and we would breathe a sigh of relief at the full time whistle after beating Chesterfield.

If Chris Wilder decides he wants to walk away, he will go with my best wishes and I will still shake his hand, given the chance, if I ever saw him while I was out somewhere.

TC, Woody, and Mick Speight's flashy fluorescent striped boots, were my earliest, treasured memories of Sheffield United. The Chris Wilder years are my favourite, without a doubt.
Well said that man!

I disagree about Burke he has been superb for us he causes all sorts of problems.

Superb?

12 league appearances
No league goals
One league assist

That is not causing all sorts of problems. That is a very poor return.

Mind you, that's hardly surprising given (a) he's not a striker and (b) he's not a top division standard player.

It is a measure of how awful this season has been that people think he's done well. He wouldn't get into any other team in the PL and I remain unconvinced he's even Championship standard.

Wilder has done some questionable things this season, but starting a player up front who is not a striker, has no finishing ability whatsoever and creates very little whilst his record striker signing rots on the bench looks bad even by this season's standards.

Superb?

12 league appearances
No league goals
One league assist

Mind you, that's hardly surprising given (a) he's not a striker and (b) he's not a top division standard player.

It is a measure of how awful this season has been that people think he's done well. He wouldn't get into any other team in the PL and I remain unconvinced he's even Championship standard.

Wilder has done some questionable things this season, but starting a player up front who is not a striker, has no finishing ability whatsoever and creates very little whilst his record striker signing rots on the bench looks bad even by this season's standards.

Didzy scored 2 last season was he shit also?

Superb?

12 league appearances
No league goals
One league assist

I think we have no choice but to play Burke (who I actually like), because the Premier League is full of athletes and we don't really have any. Burke has incredible pace, even by Prem standards, and is the only player we have who can chase a ball, from behind the defenders, and actually get to it first.

I think we have no choice but to play Burke (who I actually like), because the Premier League is full of athletes and we don't really have any. Burke has incredible pace, even by Prem standards, and is the only player we have who can chase a ball, from behind the defenders, and actually get to it first.
I like him too. He works hard, runs hard and is committed. Basically, he gives a damn about the shirt. More than can be said for most of the others except Didsy.

Didzy scored 2 last season was he shit also?

That has nothing to do with my point but I'll play, fine.

First of all, Didzy had a poor season last year and I am on record as saying that I don't think he added as much to the team as people generally believed. This year is different of course.

Didzy had a track record of goalscoring at least prior to last season, and is a striker. Burke is not a striker and has no track record of goalscoring whatsoever.

We are on course for the lowest goals total in PL history, and the manager is playing someone up front who's not a forward. It's insane.

I like him too. He works hard, runs hard and is committed. Basically, he gives a damn about the shirt. More than can be said for most of the others except Didsy.

He has some positive qualities, sure. We might be able to utilise them if we played him as a winger or wing back - both positions he knows well - but Wilder is wedded to his current formation and the fiction that Burke is a striker for reasons that baffle me.

Incidentally, whilst he does work hard, it is notable that in all the games he's started he's basically knackered and ineffective by half time.

Back
Top Bottom