Is Wilder Really Going To See This Out?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I've never thought he should be sacked, and I still don't. If he wants another go at the Championship he should start next season and let's see where we are after a dozen games of that.

However..... he has in my view developed PBS (that's Phil Brown Syndrome). Having had a decent PL season and received unending praise from fellow coaches and media lackeys for 2 years he believed himself to be some sort of footballing genius. After all, the so-far-potless Bielsa more or less said so.

This has had quite an effect on his spiky personality, with his now steadfast belief in the system that brought him this adulation. To ditch that now would be an admission of fallibility which his ego may not be able to stand.

And we have all paid the price for it.

But never mind, football starts again in 7 or 8 months time.
I have to wonder if his post-match comments towards the end of last season when the decline started had a lasting impact on the morale of the squad. His assessment of the teams performance at Leicester was probably the most brutal I've ever heard in the game. He was critical at times when we won (Everton away for example) and also when we narrowly lost to very good sides (Liverpool at home).

It's possible that he's overplayed his hand as a taskmaster and disciplinarian. Maybe this has done lasting damage to the dynamic and the morale of the squad. Once you lose that, you have a hell of time getting it back.

I think Wilder has shown childish petulance in recent weeks with not naming a full bench and other veiled digs at the board. Its not taking the club forwards.
He did great last year with a team on the up and with full crowd backing. Since Covid a lot of the established team plays have lost their edge (Fleck, Norwood, Lunny, Bash, Egan, Stevens, Mousse and Baldock)
He has become totally fixated on the system instead of 'having a go'.
He has wasted huge amounts of cash on certain players and then left key positions in the team in the hands of backup (that's being kind) players.
He needs to face facts that he needs help to recruit better. He needs a DOF who he trusts above him.
There are glaring holes in the team and squad that need addressing.
I am not sure he is the man to put them right.
I like that he is Sheff Utd and ambitious but doesn't seem to be a post covid manager. Not sure there are many decent alternatives though.

120 million he’s spent and we can’t even name 9 subs on the bench, statement or not. What makes anyone think the prince will allow him spend ought this month? When the last time he reached into his pocket what was bought was a
£23 million pound striker who's position is bench and an £18 million goalkeeper that seems to chunk errors about on a regular basis.

Thats like me giving the young un £100 quid for food and she comes back with 70 bars of chocolate and a TK Maxx bobble hat. Sure, the chocolate tastes nice but doesn’t last long (Brewster, doesn’t bust a gut after 5 minutes) and the bobble hat is only ever any good in the winter (Ramsdale, decent against sides that don’t attack). Well!... I cry... what a waste of money, because my fridge is still barren and i now have diabetes on an empty stomach.

I think the FA cup will have an effect on this. A 0 1 loss to Plymouth next week might see him go. I don't want him to, I'd give him the first half of next season as I think he's earned it but this stubberness at shoehorning a left centre back into this formation is starting to wear thin. When we have the players for it it's brilliant but without JOC it just hasn't worked and now we are half way through the season and we'll adrift. We can all see it doesn't work and results speak for themselves so why hasn't he changed it. This failure to adapt may well lose him his job

He needs to face facts that he needs help to recruit better. He needs a DOF who he trusts above him.

I agree with your comments above but the point of a DoF is that he does the recruitment, and if he's got any sense he tries to do it to tie in with the manager at the time.

To get a DoF to suit the manager is cart before the horse stuff.

Going down with the worst points total ever is shameful and disrespectful toward the supporters. Given HRH is persisting with no further investment, not only is he throwing away £300m but he is also destroying his "United World" group as well, as who wants to be associated with a group responsible for such abject failure.

I agree with your comments above but the point of a DoF is that he does the recruitment, and if he's got any sense he tries to do it to tie in with the manager at the time.

To get a DoF to suit the manager is cart before the horse stuff.
I agree. Even the best managers in world football have DOF. That appointment needs doing. We need to build the club up so we can keep progressing even when/if Wilder goes...

IMHO:

1) Wilder won't be sacked
2) Wilder won't resign
3) He knows the player aren't good enough, but still protects their integrity and won't throw them individually under a bus
4) He'll already be rethinking/preparing for next season
5) He'll know who will be sold / released / retained for next season
6) 1 of the clubs lists of 4 player requirements - which we always prepare apparently (ie: the one for relegation) will be implemented
7) He'll ditch 352 as unworkable at Premier league level and reinvent himself and coaching management with a new system, loosely around his original favourite of 442 or 433 but with 4 as a defensive unit and with full backs that push on. (Bogle and RND is my guess)
8) Players who don't fit the new system and who won't/can't fit it will be ousted or moved on/out - just like when he first joined.
9) It will take possibly 2 years - he starts again with a much better starting base.

10) He won't give in because he is actually one of us and will want to try again and learn from his mistakes and prove some doubters wrong and for me he has the mentality, strength of character and ability to pull it off.

UTB

PS: we'll beat Plymouth because we will play a very very good team against them - he hates to lose in any game, plus: have some of you lot seen the state of the bottom two divisions. Even the championship teams don't punish mistakes like the Prem teams do.

I'm generally a Wilder in sort of chap but...

I think the thing Wilder has done quite badly is recruitment of 2 or 3 leaders. Hopefully he reflects on this of/when he's allowed to start recruiting again..
People who will not accept the sort of shit show Norwood has given us today and previously. Who demand better! People who will challenge Wilder as well as other players. People who would tell Wilder to try some different formations either starting or during games when its not working. People who would tell Wilder to rest Ramsdale who is panicking the entire defence.
I wonder if Wilder is afraid to have such players who might challenge his authority?
He maybe can't deal well with strong characters other than by sending them to Coventry and off to sleep in the dog kennel. Eg why hasn't Baldock played since caring enough to have a fucking rant at Wilder?
See also Billy who has been left in the cooler most of the season after a rumoured tiff...
Duffs a previous example.
I understand the need for chain of command but sometimes a rant is needed to refocus a team of people, and not only from the man in charge.
What do others think.

7) He'll ditch 352 as unworkable at Premier league level and reinvent himself and coaching management with a new system, loosely around his original favourite of 442 or 433 but with 4 as a defensive unit and with full backs that push on. (Bogle and RND is my guess)
Cant tell you how much I want this to happen. Especially with RND and Bogle as our fullbacks for the distant future. ⚔️

He has no right to that. Over 50m just in fees spent in the summer.

Prince would be a fool to hand him any more money at this stage.

We say that but he's didn't get any of his first choice signings. He wanted Oli Watkins, couldn't compete on wages, he wanted Henderson back, couldn't get him, wanted a LCB didn't get one.

Bogle and Lowe were designed to be squaddies with a view to the future.

We have been in the running for a lot of players we have lost simply due to wages.

So yes Wilder has bought players in but I very much doubt they're all his first choices.

We say that but he's didn't get any of his first choice signings. He wanted Oli Watkins, couldn't compete on wages, he wanted Henderson back, couldn't get him, wanted a LCB didn't get one.

We have been in the running for a lot of players we have lost simply due to wages.

So yes Wilder has bought players in but I very much doubt they're all his first choices.

So sign less of the squad players/ for the future and have more funds available for wages. He wasted the most money any United manager has ever had. Terrible.

So sign less of the squad players/ for the future and have more funds available for wages. He wasted the most money any United manager has ever had. Terrible.

Well he only really signed Lowe and Bogle as squaddies and they would have been more than fine for cover for George or Enda. Doubt they're on massive wages and we genuinely needed the cover, especially at RWB since Kerion Freeman departed.

When we were in the depths of League 1, I think it was the second or third season there, a bloke I knew died suddenly, unexpectedly, of a heart attack. He was mid 50's and a big Blade. We used to chat about football whenever we saw each other, usually in our local pub. We used to talk about the Warnock years, that final game of the season that sent us down, out of the Premier League, and would we ever see the Blades back in the top flight in our lifetime.

He never saw Chris Wilder, the 100 points, Billy Sharp scoring 30+ goals, Coutts and Duffy, and the eventual promotion to the top flight in World football.

There were times, after Andrew died, that I had the same thoughts, would I ever see the Blades in the top tier again?

I sometimes think some of our fans need to remember that a few short years ago, we were worried about playing the likes of Scunthorpe and Shrewsbury, away days were down to Milton Keynes, or over to Oldham, the TV camera's were picking up Kyle Walker sat in the crowd watching us play Stevenage away, and we would breathe a sigh of relief at the full time whistle after beating Chesterfield.

If Chris Wilder decides he wants to walk away, he will go with my best wishes and I will still shake his hand, given the chance, if I ever saw him while I was out somewhere.

TC, Woody, and Mick Speight's flashy fluorescent striped boots, were my earliest, treasured memories of Sheffield United. The Chris Wilder years are my favourite, without a doubt.

I think he has to be realistic on transfers.

If he's looking at loan players to help this season then he's not being a realist.

If he's picking up a young players from league one, who he thinks can be an asset in the Championship and giving him a taste of the top tier, then I'm far more behind this one.

I'm generally a Wilder in sort of chap but...

I think the thing Wilder has done quite badly is recruitment of 2 or 3 leaders. Hopefully he reflects on this of/when he's allowed to start recruiting again..
People who will not accept the sort of shit show Norwood has given us today and previously. Who demand better! People who will challenge Wilder as well as other players. People who would tell Wilder to try some different formations either starting or during games when its not working. People who would tell Wilder to rest Ramsdale who is panicking the entire defence.
I wonder if Wilder is afraid to have such players who might challenge his authority?
He maybe can't deal well with strong characters other than by sending them to Coventry and off to sleep in the dog kennel. Eg why hasn't Baldock played since caring enough to have a fucking rant at Wilder?
See also Billy who has been left in the cooler most of the season after a rumoured tiff...
Duffs a previous example.
I understand the need for chain of command but sometimes a rant is needed to refocus a team of people, and not only from the man in charge.
What do others think.

I said this before about the coaches. None have PL experience and all are yes men.

For the first time since Dave Bassett, I feel very reluctant to say or type 'he's got to go' With Bassett, strangely, I had to work in the ground when we used the Kop end on the Friday afternoon, when the first 11 were playing out how the forward thinking midfielders and attackers would approach the game. The defenders were given certain instructions to play as the expected team selection was going to be and our attack were being instructed how to attack them. After a few scenarios they called it a day. The session ended with 'we know how they're going to play it, give it to Nevin and he'll try and put it on Aldridge's head but they're fucking past it so...(was the jokey way it was said and left and of course, they ripped us apart quite early on and it was the first time I'd ever seen the Kop fighting amongst itself as the factions of pro and anti Bassett fans squared up. So in some ways, I was fortunate enough to see that Bassett had lost the ability to take us forward but he was a true legend, so it was hard to take when he left.
I'm in the same quandary with Wilder. Has he got the desire to take us back up, or even see out the season? I'm totally in the give him a second crack at it next season camp - providing he is?
All I can conclude is - if he was going to have been sacked - it should have been 7/8 games ago. I can't see how anyone could come in and rescue the situation as it stands.

UTB

Irrespective of them being his first, second, third or even fourth choice. They're still wilders choices. It's poor recruitment strategy to have a second choice (if Brewster was second choice) who's as raw as he is. Not to mention spending 23m on a second choice signing..

Past caring now, it's obvious HRH had thrown the towel in and has limply accepted relegation without a fight, so if he doesn't care, why should I?

Wilder should have been sacked ages ago whilst it wasn't too late. Seriously, who keeps a manager that cannot get a react or a performance out of HIS team? They've simply stopped listening to him and some of our better players don't try because they know the club will have to sell them in the summer and they go back to the Premier League.

Gutted, dark times returning

Going down with the worst points total ever is shameful and disrespectful toward the supporters.
It's embarrassing. Nothing more, nothing less. In what way do you as a supporter feel disrespected?

If he’d have gone 6 weeks ago like he should’ve, then it wouldn’t have been too late for us to make a fight out of it this season.

It’s too late now however, we are down and I can’t see him walking when he’d miss out on a pay off.

Feeling really down at that performance. First time I have ever switched channels and hope something would happen for us whilst watching the Snooker.
ITS BLOODY PAINFUL THIS. Dont know what the answer is 4,4,2, 5.3,2, 631, WTF Somebody do something.FFS.

Is he fuck. The prince has already began the thawing of Jim Smith.

I’ll judge his signings like Brewster, Berge, Ramsdale and McBurnie after a season the Championship. If they’re shit next season then he really has wasted money. If they’re good and we go back up then they’ve paid for themselves. He always said he was signing players with half an eye on the Championship so it’s important that we are strong next season.

I hope he sees it out but I wouldn’t be inclined to give him a transfer kitty if we ever get back up again, that’s where a DoF would make sense.

Back
Top Bottom