No one leaving, no one coming in?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Sounds like we are😁

Still no point wasting money but given we have no midfielder on the bench and Berge not back for some time then I think we are taking a bit of a risk.
A bit of a risk at what exactly, relegation is relegation you don't get more money for getting relegation with a few extra points.....

My view is that if Norwood pulls a hammie and Lundstram gets a red card, with Berge out - we're even more fooked!

Next season, we're in a similar boat. We're paper thin in Centre mid...
Agreed, but recruitment in the summer will be crucial. It clearly depends on which league we are in and therefore how much money we will have, as well as what the goals are for the future

Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick..........

We should be looking to bring jn relatively inexpensive championship or best of league 1 players to our squad now and getting ready for next season. If we stop up great, if we do go down then at least we have had them in the building for a few months and they are more ready to go with us for a push at trying to get back to the PL at the first attempt.

I'm not into this thinking of getting expensive loans in as I think we have shit our pot this season, but we can still use the time and this window to try and bring in some players who might be out of contract in the summer or cheap who we like the look of for a championship promotion push campaign.

Preferably a couple of midfielders and who knows, the presence of a couple of midfielders coming in now might just have the current mob looking over their shoulder and raising their game this season. If so, then we still have a squeak of a chance in escaping.

My view is that if Norwood pulls a hammie and Lundstram gets a red card, with Berge out - we're even more fooked!

Next season, we're in a similar boat. We're paper thin in Centre mid...
Genuine question. Who should we have signed?
Who’s going to get into the first team and not want to see what other options are out there before committing to a relegation scrap?
Someone will come in, but we ain’t a draw currently and we don’t have the backing to pay over the odds.

I'm sure its been discussed elsewhere but what is Freeman's situation? Can he be recalled? If not, that is a shit piece of negotiation. If he can why not bring him back as we cant even fill the bench.
He is only just recovering from a hernia op, so not played since November and not likely to until next month.
Why would you want him back ?

He is only just recovering from a hernia op, so not played since November and not likely to until next month.
Why would you want him back ?

But I presume that we didn't know that he had an hernia problem when we negotiated that deal. With us not having a recall option in January and the fact that we have already agreed a price if they want him permanently, I can only presume that the loan fee we received in the summer and the agreed permanent fee are both very favourable to us, otherwise yes if wasn't the best deal we've ever negotiated.

In hindsight he got injured, but we didn't know that was going to be the case when we let him go. Just like we w wouldn't have chased Jon Swift all summer if we had known he was going to be out of action til January.

When we let Freeman go, didn't get Swift, and knowing Lundys contract situation, I was surprised in the summer that we didn't bring in another midfield player. Still all ifs and maybes and hindsight is wonderful.

But I presume that we didn't know that he had an hernia problem when we negotiated that deal. With us not having a recall option in January and the fact that we have already agreed a price if they want him permanently, I can only presume that the loan fee we received in the summer and the agreed permanent fee are both very favourable to us, otherwise yes if wasn't the best deal we've ever negotiated.

In hindsight he got injured, but we didn't know that was going to be the case when we let him go. Just like we w wouldn't have chased Jon Swift all summer if we had known he was going to be out of action til January.

When we let Freeman go, didn't get Swift, and knowing Lundys contract situation, I was surprised in the summer that we didn't bring in another midfield player. Still all ifs and maybes and hindsight is wonderful.
There was an article in the star the other day saying there was no recall clause but an option to buy at the end. Slightly disappointing this is an option rather than an obligation unless we put him on silly wages.

Genuine question. Who should we have signed?
Who’s going to get into the first team and not want to see what other options are out there before committing to a relegation scrap?
Someone will come in, but we ain’t a draw currently and we don’t have the backing to pay over the odds.

Sadly my scouting network isn't what it was, and I'm by no means advocating another £20m signing.

However, I'm sure there will be a number of athletic midfield tyros in league one/championship who would jump at the chance to have 6 months in the PL and join a team that will be top 6 in the championship next season.

Sadly my scouting network isn't what it was, and I'm by no means advocating another £20m signing.

However, I'm sure there will be a number of athletic midfield tyros in league one/championship who would jump at the chance to have 6 months in the PL and join a team that will be top 6 in the championship next season.
there will be more this summer to choose from and by then we will know whos moving on and agree we will be top 6 in the championship next season at the least

there will be more this summer to choose from and by then we will know whos moving on and agree we will be top 6 in the championship next season at the least

No doubt there'll be more in the summer, but as of today we're a 3 game suspension/hamstring tear away from literally having no midfield...

Here we go again. I’d love to know what makes you think we’ll be top 6 ‘at least’ next season. Using actual facts and data, if you could.

Reactions: Gee
Here we go again. I’d love to know what makes you think we’ll be top 6 ‘at least’ next season. Using actual facts and data, if you could.

Most of the players in our squad have shown themselves to be more than capable of playing successfully at the top of the Championship.

I’m not sure what data* you’re expecting but at the end of the day none of us really know do we. We’re all just offering an opinion on what we think may happen in the future and yes some of us may be looking at things with rose tinted specs on but I’d much rather be positive about things than negative.

*I note that you haven’t presented any data either

And who probably wouldn’t be any use to us at all. You’ve seen how long it takes most players to step up, even from the Championship. Clubs are reluctant to sell their best players in the JTW unless you make them an offer they can’t turn down. We can’t really throw more money away on trying to stay up when there is very little chance we will, when PA is already taking money out of the club to pay the stadium loan. I suspect we’re still looking and if there was an opportunity to make a good long term signing at a good price we’d probably take it but do we really want to have another panic buy on our books for three years? I’d rather we played Bash at CM and Rodwell at RCH than bring in another Ricky Holmes.

Risk of not being able to put out a full midfield rather than risk of going down.
Absolutely! The risk of another performance like Southampton where we have 20% possession and pass the ball forwards about 5 times in 90 minutes or the risk of players running through out midfield a la Eze....

And who probably wouldn’t be any use to us at all. You’ve seen how long it takes most players to step up, even from the Championship. Clubs are reluctant to sell their best players in the JTW unless you make them an offer they can’t turn down. We can’t really throw more money away on trying to stay up when there is very little chance we will, when PA is already taking money out of the club to pay the stadium loan. I suspect we’re still looking and if there was an opportunity to make a good long term signing at a good price we’d probably take it but do we really want to have another panic buy on our books for three years? I’d rather we played Bash at CM and Rodwell at RCH than bring in another Ricky Holmes.

All good points and I agree with them all.

However, it isn't just this season where we need midfield reinforcements. Our midfield has looked light since last Christmas , and if Lundstram does leave then we'll need at least 2 guys. Buying them both in the same summer seems to be putting eggs in baskets...

I'm sure its been discussed elsewhere but what is Freeman's situation? Can he be recalled? If not, that is a shit piece of negotiation. If he can why not bring him back as we cant even fill the bench.

Wilder said in the presser the other day that he can't be recalled from Forest.

All good points and I agree with them all.

However, it isn't just this season where we need midfield reinforcements. Our midfield has looked light since last Christmas , and if Lundstram does leave then we'll need at least 2 guys. Buying them both in the same summer seems to be putting eggs in baskets...
But it’s easier to get them settled over the summer, into a side that is challenging for promotion than it is to bring them into the side now, at a higher level, in a team that’s struggling badly. Most decent players are in clubs at the top of their divisions, why would you quit halfway through a potential promotion season to join a club that’s all but relegated when you know you’ll get other offers in the summer? Even someone like Davies at Preston is going to think “may as well wait until summer when I can negotiate a better signing on fee with the Blades or maybe get a deal with one of the promoted clubs”.
We like transfers because they get us excited and give us hope but sometimes you just have to accept it’s very unlikely that anyone decent is interested in joining us right now. If we do find someone, great, and if we manage somehow to get a decent number of points over our next three games it may change the thinking at the club.

But it’s easier to get them settled over the summer, into a side that is challenging for promotion than it is to bring them into the side now, at a higher level, in a team that’s struggling badly. Most decent players are in clubs at the top of their divisions, why would you quit halfway through a potential promotion season to join a club that’s all but relegated when you know you’ll get other offers in the summer? Even someone like Davies at Preston is going to think “may as well wait until summer when I can negotiate a better signing on fee with the Blades or maybe get a deal with one of the promoted clubs”.
We like transfers because they get us excited and give us hope but sometimes you just have to accept it’s very unlikely that anyone decent is interested in joining us right now. If we do find someone, great, and if we manage somehow to get a decent number of points over our next three games it may change the thinking at the club.

Again, all valid points which are impossible to disagree with.

However, the alternative is to do nothing which just seems suicidal, even given our current predicament. My fear is that next Summer we're so threadbare in midfield it means we panic buy again - and we've seen what happens when Tufty panic buys!

I suppose you could make a case for a Regan Slater to fill that void, but I'm not sure he's even Championship standard.

Most of the players in our squad have shown themselves to be more than capable of playing successfully at the top of the Championship.

I’m not sure what data* you’re expecting but at the end of the day none of us really know do we. We’re all just offering an opinion on what we think may happen in the future and yes some of us may be looking at things with rose tinted specs on but I’d much rather be positive about things than negative.

*I note that you haven’t presented any data either

I’d say the data that is the current league table speaks for itself, or perhaps you think that literally being the worst team in the history of the Premier League so far is somehow anything other than evidence that we’d struggle next season.

Maybe everyone has forgotten what a competitive league it is? Unless we suddenly improve by a vast amount - in terms of self-belief, of talent, of application and of tactical nous - we’re going to be nowhere near promotion next season. In fact we’ll be lucky to stay in the Championship.

I’d say the data that is the current league table speaks for itself, or perhaps you think that literally being the worst team in the history of the Premier League so far is somehow anything other than evidence that we’d struggle next season.

Maybe everyone has forgotten what a competitive league it is? Unless we suddenly improve by a vast amount - in terms of self-belief, of talent, of application and of tactical nous - we’re going to be nowhere near promotion next season. In fact we’ll be lucky to stay in the Championship.

What has this season got to do with next? Norwich were very poor last season, look at what they’re doing now. And that isn’t ‘data’ by the way so it’s a bit rich you asking others to provide data to support their opinion.

I haven’t forgotten about how competitive it is. I remember seeing most of our current squad competing at the very top.

Lucky to stay in the Championship? I get it now, you’re one of those types.

Back
Top Bottom