Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Out of the Juniors I can spot Ian McKenzie, Mick Heaton, Geoff Salmons, Mick Harmston, Mick Speight, Dave Staniforth and Ian Holmes. Over to LSF to name the rest of the juniors. Photo taken before Munks, Shaw and the Wagstaff brothers left us in summer 1968

Sheffield United Spring 1968.jpg

Out of the Juniors I can spot Ian McKenzie, Mick Heaton, Geoff Salmons, Mick Harmston, Mick Speight, Dave Staniforth and Ian Holmes. Over to LSF to name the rest of the juniors. Photo taken before Munks, Shaw and the Wagstaff brothers left us in summer 1968

View attachment 98393
I can spot Jimmy Doherty, Jimmy House (former Sheffield Boys teammates of mine), Phil Archer, James Levitt (I think), Russell ? (surname escapes me at moment).
Will try and put names to rest...

Goalkeeper Brian Gough alongside Hodgy & Barry Gordine.

I can spot Jimmy Doherty, Jimmy House (former Sheffield Boys teammates of mine), Phil Archer, James Levitt (I think), Russell ? (surname escapes me at moment).
Is Barry Birtles there? His brother, Don, lives next door to my mum's. Don told me Barry died young

Goalkeeper Brian Gough alongside Hodgy & Barry Gordine.
Russell Clarke!

There are three I couldnt identify in the back row. Which ones are Peck and Hallam, also Russell Clarke. Is Hutchinson there?
As Blade1959 says Hallam next Mick Harmston. Peck 2nd left back row (next to Mackenzkie).
Clarke between Staniforth & Speight. Stuart Hutchison between Staniforth and Jimmy House.

I played in a team who 'loaned' two United A or B team players for half a season, a goalkeeper and a wing half. The goalkeeper, I was told by the wing half, had originally been a winger. I might add he was a good keeper.
What team was this for XM?
I remember that our 3rd eleven played in the Hatchard League. I would have thought to gain any valuable experience then your team must have been County Senior or Midland League?

Silent, 2nd right is Jim Doherty, I didn't state his position in line up originally, sorry.
Second left is bugging me, should know him! Age is clouding memory these days 😏
I'll keep trying...
I've dug deep Silent...
I think it's Mick 'Irish' Williams, a left winger originating from Staffordshire (must have had Irish roots as everybody called him 'Irish')
He knocked about with Mick Speight and I often saw them Saturday night in Top Rank Suite (the place to be on Saturday! 😏).
Certainly resembles him and as he's next to Speight on photo, might hold some weight.
After his release he stayed in sheffield area and played locally, spending a season or two with Ecclesfield Red Rose.
Last I heard he was still around Sheffield area.

What team was this for XM?
I remember that our 3rd eleven played in the Hatchard League. I would have thought to gain any valuable experience then your team must have been County Senior or Midland League?
No, not as high a level as you mention, the lads that played with us were 17-18 like myself.
Maybe the intervening years have dulled my memory as to which level they were playing at for United.
Were there lower levels than the A and B teams, I really don't know, I am talking 1958-59 or 59-60.
I remember it was a good experience, as playing left back and the wing half played for us at left half so with the goalie and me watching United, it all seemed to fit nicely.
We played in the Hope Valley League.

I've dug deep Silent...
I think it's Mick 'Irish' Williams, a left winger originating from Staffordshire (must have had Irish roots as everybody called him 'Irish')
He knocked about with Mick Speight and I often saw them Saturday night in Top Rank Suite (the place to be on Saturday! 😏).
Certainly resembles him and as he's next to Speight on photo, might hold some weight.
After his release he stayed in sheffield area and played locally, spending a season or two with Ecclesfield Red Rose.
Last I heard he was still around Sheffield area.
Cheers, I will post the photo in a FB group and will tag Mick Speight

Maybe the intervening years have dulled my memory as to which level they were playing at for United.
Were there lower levels than the A and B teams, I really don't know, I am talking 1958-59 or 59-60.
United certainly ran an A team around that time. They played in the old Yorkshire League.
I remember my dad once taking me to watch them on the Ball Inn, against Retford Town (who did play in YL despite being in Notts).
They played in green and United's goalie (Max Ashmore, I believe) had to wear a white jumper. It fascinated my very young mind and I kept asking my dad why the goalie had a white jumper on. I just didn't get it 🤔😅.

What a great picture. Never saw the cricket pitch - I think the South Stand was opened or near completion when I was born.

Looks like seeing the ball from the pavilion end might have been ‘challenging’ based on that sight screen!

Back
Top Bottom