Lundstram

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Nixon in this mornings rag reckons Lundstram has decided to stay and see his contract out so that he can walk away for nothing to get a bumper pay deal

If that’s the case he needs shipping out on loan, we can’t have coasters in the team, we need players who are ‘at it’

Think it's time we started paying players for what they are not where they have came from. Lundstram has proved himself as a high energy box to box midfielder who wins tackles and scores goals in the prem... No idea what we're paying him but his wages should be on a par with Berge and I'm guessing they are more championship/league 1 .. Unless he's after crazy money we should hold onto him... We're bigging up players like swift when if we are honest they have hardly seen him play but lunny has proved he can do it at the top level.. The grass is not always greener
Alternatively, no ones been in for him this summer with a serious bid willing to pay him the level he wants. Maybe what we’re offering is about right and as were seemingly keeping him anyway this season so are making a significant saving as each week passes.
It’s up to him, and little or no skin of our nose if he wants to play out this season from the bench and leave in the summer with our best wishes.
Him being better or deserving parity with Berge is for the birds and not even worth discussion.

I wonder if nobody coming in for him in the last few weeks (Wilder didn't have to publicly put him on the transfer list) has humbled him a bit?

Maybe? I suspect that Lunny and his agent saw this transfer window as an opportunity for him to get a big move to another Prem club on the strength of him having impressed in some of the games last season and raising his profile to a level it's never been anywhere near before. I honestly don't blame him/them for that. As I said previously, he'll probably never get a better chance of such a move. But for whatever reasons, nothing has materialised yet. There's still time and I think if we got a good offer for him the best thing to do would be to let him go, good for him and good for us. If it doesn't work out though then he's still got a good opportunity to impress again for us. As long as he's motivated to do that then it's a win-win as far as I can see.

Theres no logic to selling Lunny just give him an extra 5/10k as he has deserved that over the last year.

Plus if we sell him we'd need to pay 4/5 million for a replacement who likely wont be as good as Lunny

Also im not sure why he hasn't been pinned as a baldock Back-up surely lunny could play that role has all the attributes to be a solid RWB

Fat fingers x broken iPhone screen = posting by mistake

His resale value as it stands, with less than 4 months b4 he effectively becomes a “free agent” is zilch I’m afraid.

Compare that against if he had a 3 / 4 yr deal still to run where, I’m guessing, his current market value might be north of 8 figures !!

The club needs (and thankfully now is) to start preserving and protecting the value of its asset base.

UTB

Lundstrum v Berge
Easy lundstrum all day long
Factor in the fees we paid for both players .
If I'm lundstrum and I'm not on same money or more than berge I'm furious.
Simple as that
Hope that clears it up

As I and others have said, it's the players prerogative not to sign a new contract and also now to see that contract out to get a what he hopes is a bumper pay deal.

I wonder how CW will view this? On the one hand would he continue to pick the player as and when required, or would he take the view that as the player is no longer part of the squad moving forward, as he's made his intentions clear, do we exclude him from the 1st team squad and choose players who do wish to be part of the future of the club?

I expect the former, although if CW did choose to exclude him, would it possibly make Lunny depart any sooner? (provided offers came in)

Last edited:
If we were to throw in some figures to contextualise the conversation (not that I'm claiming any of them are accurate - but it gives a sense of how far apart the two sides may be):

We signed Lundstram on lower Championship backup wages, let's say 6k. It's probably raised a bit due to promotion, maybe to 8k. Wilder, recognising the season he's had, offers to more than double that amount to 18k in line with other first time regulars like Norwood and Fleck.

However, Lundstram is thinking "I've shown I can hold my own in the Premier League now. I want wage parity with established midfielders at other clubs on 40/50k." It may even be that a club like Palace, or Everton etc have told him that's what they'll offer if he leaves on a free next year.

In Lunny's thinking it would be daft to settle for half of that wage now. In Wilder's thinking that's way way above what every other player in the club is on, and there's no way it would be sensible to break that structure.
If my aunt had a pair of knackers she would be my unkle

Lundstrum v Berge
Simple as that
Hope that clears it up

Give Berge the same amount of time at our club as Lundstrum has had and measure their relevant progress/worth then.

Suspect that might offer a different perspective.

So how would forum users solve the Lundstram conundrum? (ie get him to sign).
I've already put forward; 'offer to put a release clause in his contract' which I see as protecting both sides (I don't think one person came on board with this).
Alternatively 'negotiate some more (unlikely of happening) add ons into his contract' but the carrot would be always there.
It seems tragic that we aren't going to get a penny for him when Championship players are being touted at a start of £5m.

Lundstrum v Berge
Simple as that
Hope that clears it up

The big difference is if Berge was on the transfer list I can guarantee there would be interest from other Premier league clubs (including some fairly big teams) and probably from other top European leagues. If Lunny doesn't understand supply and demand then he's in for a shock.

Lundstrum v Berge
Simple as that
Hope that clears it up
Mate, this sounds both bizarre and stubborn.

Were you singing Lundstram's praises during his challenging spell as a Championship starter? What about during his long dip in form last season?

Berge put in some strong performances already, and is going to have a long and successful top level career. He may well be our best player this season.

If Lunny wants £30k a week for 3 years, it's abart £4.5 million plus bits and bobs...

If he goes for nowt we need to buy someone decent, it's £5m+ then pay them £20k a week for 3 years and they still might not be as good for us as Lunny.

Don't know why we're jeopardising something we know is good when it might be more expensive to have something shit.

But, as the boring, obvious bastards say.... "I trust what Wilder decides, he's done alright so far" 🤓
I see your point logistically, and it might even work on Football Manager.

But how would every single player in our first team feel if we give a guy on the bench the biggest wage?!

How would you feel if someone at your work, who is junior/less important to your role... Got paid more? Even worse, just because they threatened to leave...?

Lundstrum v Berge
Simple as that
Hope that clears it up
Lmfao... "Easy lundstrum all day long"
Ones a top European talent.. the others John lundstrum.. why would a relatively unknown player be on the same or more money than one of the best prospects in Europe?

Lundstrum v Berge
Simple as that
Hope that clears it up
Well it would ,except you spelt his name wrong

Overstated his ability
Gave an opinionated but unqualified comparison and assumed by that you know more than our manager
So no it doesn't really

Looks like Rangers are the major players for him, now unless they are being silly with money again it’s unlikely he’s getting a huge deal there. They are still a huge club though so can understand why he’d want to go there.

I imagine one of the main reasons he’s still not signing a new deal here is game time, he’s clearly behind Berge now, and with Norwood signing a new deal a few months ago there’s no chance of him losing his place in the team any time soon. Rangers on the other hand can offer him that first team football.

Getting 4m for him now or seeing him leave after a full season of being available to us is much of a muchness. I’d be in favour of keeping him for the year as that’s one less position to spend money on this summer, and getting 4m in isn’t much to play with when reinvesting.

Looks like Rangers are the major players for him, now unless they are being silly with money again it’s unlikely he’s getting a huge deal there. They are still a huge club though so can understand why he’d want to go there.

I imagine one of the main reasons he’s still not signing a new deal here is game time, he’s clearly behind Berge now, and with Norwood signing a new deal a few months ago there’s no chance of him losing his place in the team any time soon. Rangers on the other hand can offer him that first team football.

Getting 4m for him now or seeing him leave after a full season of being available to us is much of a muchness. I’d be in favour of keeping him for the year as that’s one less position to spend money on this summer, and getting 4m in isn’t much to play with when reinvesting.
I’d rather lose him for £2mil and put that money to the wages for Connor Gallagher for a season

So how would forum users solve the Lundstram conundrum? (ie get him to sign).
I've already put forward; 'offer to put a release clause in his contract' which I see as protecting both sides (I don't think one person came on board with this).
Alternatively 'negotiate some more (unlikely of happening) add ons into his contract' but the carrot would be always there.
It seems tragic that we aren't going to get a penny for him when Championship players are being touted at a start of £5m.
I’d solve it by leaving the contract offer on the table and expect him to perform when asked.
I’d tell him that he can’t have a regular starting place while in the last year of a contract but I understand his position and I’ve no issue on calling on him when needed but I expect him to perform. If he doesn’t then he’ll not see the pitch all season.
I’d tell the press that the offer still stands and that I hope he signs, but if he wants to leave then he’ll go with our best wishes at the end of his deal and in the meantime he’s a job to do when we call on him.

That would be it, I wouldn’t move on the deal whatsoever and I’d be looking for his longer term replacement come January.

Nixon in this mornings rag reckons Lundstram has decided to stay and see his contract out so that he can walk away for nothing to get a bumper pay deal

Which rag is that ?

He has been offered a contract that the club think is reflective of his ability and value to the squad. It’s pretty obvious they are not prepared to increase this. Personally, I hope he stays. I thought our best performances last year were when he was playing. However, I have no idea what he is currently earning and what is is asking for.

it surprises me how many people think they know better than the club, I. e. they know more than the people who see him train every day and are responsible for the club’s finances. Comments like just give him another £x thousand per week or it will cost £x million to replace him so just pay him what he wants. Madness. Do people think the club will not have considered these factors? I think they deserve a bit more credit than that.

Typical thick scouser.

Willing to see out his contract to earn a bumper pay deal. So he’ll be earning what in PL terms is next to nothing for a year... when he could be earning a lot more by just signing that contract. He’ll barely play if he doesn’t sign a new deal so his value will go down by the week.

First class clown. Same agent as Duffy whos shocked?

Been proved in the past that there is only one winner in these circumstances Mr. C Wider esquire.

Berge was a passenger in quite a lot of the games he featured in last season .The fact he cost 20 million and hails from Belgium 🇧🇪 means nothing .
I hope he is a great success at united however I'm yet to be convinced.
Time will tell .

Typical thick scouser.

Willing to see out his contract to earn a bumper pay deal. So he’ll be earning what in PL terms is next to nothing for a year... when he could be earning a lot more by just signing that contract. He’ll barely play if he doesn’t sign a new deal so his value will go down by the week.

First class clown. Same agent as Duffy whos shocked?

Was thinking the same. If he's on 10k and we've offered 20k that's £520k we've saved and he's lost. We offered this when he had 2 years left, so basically it's a million quid we've not paid - and he's lost, what exactly will his sign on fee be next year?

Back
Top Bottom