Midfielders you never really liked?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I completely accept I will likely be on my own island with this one

Hodges, fuckin fat Pat Butcher, lazy arsed git, IMO of course, used to just really wind me up, maybe I expected too much from him but I just aaarrrggghhh

I nearly put him down for worst captain ever just Incase he had been one for some point in a game but I couldn’t remember

he is my irrational hatred go to I guess
Oi, outside Nar

One of my favourites Bert! Patterson used to get criticsed for poor passing but he wasn't in the team for that, he was in the team to break up play and he did that really well.
When Patterson used to shoot Bert was just grateful that he didn't sit on the Kop.

Badge and Kenworthy had stints in midfield.
Not so good, far better in their proper positions.

Anybody mention Curran?

Curran.

Seemed to have a few that fitted the “ Lewington” “ category.

Ray McHale. Had a good career but just not with us
I thought McHale was terrible at first but I seem to remember him getting better. 🤔

One of my favourites Bert! Patterson used to get criticsed for poor passing but he wasn't in the team for that, he was in the team to break up play and he did that really well.
I agree with that. He was an aggressive player and I think him and Don Hutchison were a good foil for each other. Total opposites. Those two, under Kendall, got us playing good football again.

Kevin McDonald was pants.

Went hiding every time the shit hit the fan.
Really??

I thought KMac was brilliant the season under Danny Wilson. Home & away that season, the football which flowed through him, was excellent.
When he got injured & missed the play off final it was as big a miss as Ched in my opinion.
I thought he was superb & would have been a legend if he hadn't jumped ship as he did.

I agree with that. He was an aggressive player and I think him and Don Hutchison were a good foil for each other. Total opposites. Those two, under Kendall, got us playing good football again.
If I remember Patterson was on loan when we got to the play off final v Palace. Nick Henry got sent off in the 2nd leg v Ipswich & missed the final, leaving us short of a combative player in the midfield.
No one has ever offered a reason why we couldn't recall Patterson for that game. Can only assume Kendall didn't want to. Whilst not a big fan of Patterson, I felt his presence would have been good for that game as Spackman/Hutchinson were never going to be a ball winning partnership.

Can't agree with this. I agree that his performances dropped towards the end of his time with us (we tried to make him into a defensive central midfielder and it just didn't suit him as well) but his first season, when we played him as an out and out winger, he was absolutely superb!

He was so exciting to watch and used to glide past 4 or 5 players like they weren't even there. I'd go so far as to say his debut season was one of the best I've ever seen from a youngster whilst watching the Blades (maybe alongside Kyle Naughton, Brooks & Maguire). He did love a full on swallow dive whenever he was anywhere near the penalty area though.
He always reminded me of Stan Laurel for some reason. Maybe it was his strange, ducklike, flat footed, gait?

He was top class though in his early days. I know someone who was at the club back then who rated him as the best young player since TC.

The lad lost his way. So many do. When Andy Warhol said, “in the future, everyone will be famous for 15 minutes” he wasn’t far wrong.

Most footballers seem to have a very short period “in the sun” these days. Somehow I think it was different back in the day. When players stayed with one club most of their careers and racked up 100’s of games for the club.

Terry Paine - Southampton for example. Billy Bonds - West Ham United. Franny Lee - Man City. Alan Woodward - Sheffield United. Perennial performers, mostly for the same club throughout their careers.

Same with club managers.

Nowadays many footballers are like sparklers on Bonfire night. They sparkle spectacularly, but only for only a short time, then they’re gone.

It’s tricky to catch them ahead of their peak and move them on before they fade away.

If I remember Patterson was on loan when we got to the play off final v Palace. Nick Henry got sent off in the 2nd leg v Ipswich & missed the final, leaving us short of a combative player in the midfield.
No one has ever offered a reason why we couldn't recall Patterson for that game. Can only assume Kendall didn't want to. Whilst not a big fan of Patterson, I felt his presence would have been good for that game as Spackman/Hutchinson were never going to be a ball winning partnership.
Do you mean Boo?

Nigel “Boo” Spackman was his nickname when he played for us.

The fans didn’t like him at all. He was powder puff. But I thought he had the makings of a decent manager.

Stephen fucking Quinn
Quinny was another excellent player for us. Always wanted the ball & not afraid to make a mistake. Think his willingness to try something different & maybe make a mistake or 2 was why he got stick from some parts (the same parts that slagged Couttsy when he was stuck out on the right).

Thought Quinny, Williamson & KMac were superb that 1st Yr under Wilson.

Don't think I've seen him mentioned, probably didn't make enough of an impressed to drum up strong feelings but David Mcallister. Irish midfielder who was with us for a couple of years maybe 2010-13.

Lad was absolute mince, I developed something of an irrational hatred of him. Used to spend 90 minutes running away from the ball and hiding.

I'll 2nd the vote for Michael Tonge as a Central midfielder, naff. Lost all ability from being an electric winger.

Couldn't remember the arm waving Pratt’s name. What a waste of space (and money). Agree with Brian Howard as well - bigger up to be the saviour but played like an uncooked potato. Most of the Adkins buys would be included (surprised Woodford has not been named and shamed) as the playing style was appalling.
PS Personally I feel Doyle was committed to the cause and never shirked a tackle.

To be fair Blackwell made the majority of our players look shite.

The only time i recall Blackwell playing to Billy Sharps strengths he got a hat trick against QPR i seem to recall.

Don't think I've seen him mentioned, probably didn't make enough of an impressed to drum up strong feelings but David Mcallister. Irish midfielder who was with us for a couple of years maybe 2010-13.

Lad was absolute mince, I developed something of an irrational hatred of him. Used to spend 90 minutes running away from the ball and hiding.

I'll 2nd the vote for Michael Tonge as a Central midfielder, naff. Lost all ability from being an electric winger.
I vaguely remember that Mcallister kid. Nesh as a bucket of newts he wor!

Mark Beard. Ran the show against us for Millwall, earned his move here before proceeding to run the show for whoever we were playing by dent of being non-existent.

Back
Top Bottom