My take

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

pommpey

THE FUTURE ... AS IT USED TO BE
Reaction score
Thought it was a workmanlike, accomplished but unexpected win. Wolves are a useful side - they aren't where they are for no unexplained reason and NES has them playing in a well-disciplined, organised fashion making them at times, very difficult to beat. Sound familiar?

Given they were set up as 3-4-3 we never really made the most of outnumbering them in midfield for much of the game. I thought we did an exceptional job at the back nullifying the main threats and stopping them getting the ball into the danger areas. For a change, Henderson didn't have a difficult goalboand shot to stop, so that tells it's own story.

But again, in front of that is where we show our shortcomings. The central three are still missing a playmaker like Fleck and Norwood's assumed gifted capabilities are still missing. The free kick in the second half for example - Wolves bounced theirs off the crossbar. What is stopping Norwood doing that, in fact bending it into the net? Willian did it a bit back - off the upright and in. Have a fucking pop, FFS. The midfield itself though has real problems connecting with the front two. There's no look-up/supply pass into feet or into space - remember Lundstram's pass against Everton? Nowt to run onto and execute. Billy and McB spent much of the first half chasing chances (again) or digging the ball out of the channels (again) and second half Mousse and Ziv never had the ball-into-space or cross which meant anything. Maybe Wolves were too good, but then again, save for the half chance for Egan (again) we would have got nowt and the forwards were left chasing empty space.

Henderson 5/10: Really, had nowt much to do.
Baldock 7.5/10: Again, an energetic run up and down with plenty to do stopping Wolves but much to do supporting Basham and Berge. Good to see the three Bs busy
Basham 8.5/10: Aside from a goal which would have given him another point, there was little wrong with Bash's output. Reads the game and phase of play so well and still makes those excursions which baffe opposition defences
Egan 8.5/10: Solid performance and a well taken goal. It would be easy to compare Egan with say, Morgan or Paul Beesley (at his best) but it is a lazy comparison. He's better than they are.
O'Connell 8/10: Between him and Enda they cancelled out Traore and several other menacing threats
Stevens 7/10: A better performance from him
Berge 7/10: He has capability and it is finally starting to shine through. His intelligent passes and gathering ability is masked at times by some sloppiness. He will show his worth.
Norwood 5/10: Better from him but marginally. He is still a bit easy to harass and dispossess (whereas Berge isn't) and please, Oliver, wrap that foot of yours around the ball and clout it from distance. Make the fucking keeper work. Make him pull off saves like Henderson does.
Osborn 7.5/10: Had his hands full and at times seemed to be taking care of three Wolves players at once.I like this kid's energy and grit though
Sharp 5/10: I have given Billy 5/10 so many times - followed by 'because he got nothing'. There's a pattern forming here and it tells the tale of our goal difference. At one end we have a decent, solid defence and a great goalkeeper who together have saved so many goals from going in. AT the other end we have a proven goalscorer in Sharp who had tapped-in, nodded-in, booted-in any number of chances carved out for him over many seasons. Right now, he is getting nowt and having to go looking for the ball.
McBurnie 6/10: Another wasted talent, simply because we can't get the ball to him. In fairness (Man U, Burnley) when we do he sometimes fucks it up but like Sharp, it is all too rare. But we need six or seven chances per match and we create if half of that.

Mouset 5/10: Still pretty unimpressed with his workrate and the ball forward he put in between the Kop and South Stand he should have blitzed the tiring defenders dry and took it to the penalty area because their last ditch effort would have brought him down - red card and penalty. Poor judgement from him.

Zivkovic 4/10: Saw some on here are getting a chub on about Zivs but to me he screams 'not Premier League'. He looks like he is blessing his luck that one day he's playing for some Chinese side, the next he's mixing it up with Man U in the EPL. Again, none of the strikers have service and indeed, whilst he was on he could be found twice down by the SS/JS corner flag digging it out. I'd like more convincing he's worthy over Didsy (when fit) or dare I say Robinson.

Overall, it's a good three points and congrats United for a typical never give up attitude against a tricky and capable Wolves side who have surprised a lot of big clubs since their promotion. Areas need addressing and the connective tissue - the midfield - between back and front need work. Next match, if players are fit I would drop Norwood and have:

-----------------------------------------Henderson---------------------------------------------

Baldock----------Basham----------------Egan-------------O'Connell----------------Stevens

------------------------------------------Berge--------------------------------------------------

-----------------Lundstram/Osborn---------------Fleck/Freeman-----------------------------

-----------------------------McBurnie-------------Sharp/McGoldrick--------------------------

With Sharp/McGoldrick dropping behind McBurnie in the No10 role as required and Brge dropping across the side to cover the CB/WB attack up that flank

pommpey

ps: If you disagree, 'disagree' - and give some substance, eh? Simply saying 'you were watching a different game to me' or '5 for Henderson? What a cunt' isn't adding to the discussion, which is mostly why me and Deadbat do this stuff - him to a massive amount of detail too. If you don't see it how I did, please explain why. It's a free country.

Thought it was a workmanlike, accomplished but unexpected win. Wolves are a useful side - they aren't where they are for no unexplained reason and NES has them playing in a well-disciplined, organised fashion making them at times, very difficult to beat. Sound familiar?

Given they were set up as 3-4-3 we never really made the most of outnumbering them in midfield for much of the game. I thought we did an exceptional job at the back nullifying the main threats and stopping them getting the ball into the danger areas. For a change, Henderson didn't have a difficult goalboand shot to stop, so that tells it's own story.

But again, in front of that is where we show our shortcomings. The central three are still missing a playmaker like Fleck and Norwood's assumed gifted capabilities are still missing. The free kick in the second half for example - Wolves bounced theirs off the crossbar. What is stopping Norwood doing that, in fact bending it into the net? Willian did it a bit back - off the upright and in. Have a fucking pop, FFS. The midfield itself though has real problems connecting with the front two. There's no look-up/supply pass into feet or into space - remember Lundstram's pass against Everton? Nowt to run onto and execute. Billy and McB spent much of the first half chasing chances (again) or digging the ball out of the channels (again) and second half Mousse and Ziv never had the ball-into-space or cross which meant anything. Maybe Wolves were too good, but then again, save for the half chance for Egan (again) we would have got nowt and the forwards were left chasing empty space.

Baldock 7.5/10: Again, an energetic run up and down with plenty to do stopping Wolves but much to do supporting Basham and Berge. Good to see the three Bs busy
Basham 8.5/10: Aside from a goal which would have given him another point, there was little wrong with Bash's output. Reads the game and phase of play so well and still makes those excursions which baffe opposition defences
Egan 8.5/10: Solid performance and a well taken goal. It would be easy to compare Egan with say, Morgan or Paul Beesley (at his best) but it is a lazy comparison. He's better than they are.
O'Connell 8/10: Between him and Enda they cancelled out Traore and several other menacing threats
Berge 7/10: He has capability and it is finally starting to shine through. His intelligent passes and gathering ability is masked at times by some sloppiness. He will show his worth.
Norwood 5/10: Better from him but marginally. He is still a bit easy to harass and dispossess (whereas Berge isn't) and please, Oliver, wrap that foot of yours around the ball and clout it from distance. Make the fucking keeper work. Make him pull off saves like Henderson does.
Osborn 7.5/10: Had his hands full and at times seemed to be taking care of three Wolves players at once.I like this kid's energy and grit though
Sharp 5/10: I have given Billy 5/10 so many times - followed by 'because he got nothing'. There's a pattern forming here and it tells the tale of our goal difference. At one end we have a decent, solid defence and a great goalkeeper who together have saved so many goals from going in. AT the other end we have a proven goalscorer in Sharp who had tapped-in, nodded-in, booted-in any number of chances carved out for him over many seasons. Right now, he is getting nowt and having to go looking for the ball.
McBurnie 6/10: Another wasted talent, simply because we can't get the ball to him. In fairness (Man U, Burnley) when we do he sometimes fucks it up but like Sharp, it is all too rare. But we need six or seven chances per match and we create if half of that.

Mouset 5/10: Still pretty unimpressed with his workrate and the ball forward he put in between the Kop and South Stand he should have blitzed the tiring defenders dry and took it to the penalty area because their last ditch effort would have brought him down - red card and penalty. Poor judgement from him.

Zivkovic 4/10: Saw some on here are getting a chub on about Zivs but to me he screams 'not Premier League'. He looks like he is blessing his luck that one day he's playing for some Chinese side, the next he's mixing it up with Man U in the EPL. Again, none of the strikers have service and indeed, whilst he was on he could be found twice down by the SS/JS corner flag digging it out. I'd like more convincing he's worthy over Didsy (when fit) or dare I say Robinson.

Overall, it's a good three points and congrats United for a typical never give up attitude against a tricky and capable Wolves side who have surprised a lot of big clubs since their promotion. Areas need addressing and the connective tissue - the midfield - between back and front need work. Next match, if players are fit I would drop Norwood and have:

-----------------------------------------Henderson---------------------------------------------

Baldock----------Basham----------------Egan-------------O'Connell----------------Stevens

------------------------------------------Berge--------------------------------------------------

-----------------Lundstram/Osborn---------------Fleck/Freeman-----------------------------

-----------------------------McBurnie-------------Sharp/McGoldrick--------------------------

With Sharp/McGoldrick dropping behind McBurnie in the No10 role as required and Brge dropping across the side to cover the CB/WB attack up that flank

pommpey

ps: If you disagree, 'disagree' - and give some substance, eh? Simply saying 'you were watching a different game to me' or '5 for Henderson? What a cunt' isn't adding to the discussion, which is mostly why me and Deadbat do this stuff - him to a massive amount of detail too. If you don't see it how I did, please explain why. It's a free country.
Can't agree on zivkovic the chance he put on a plate for baldock alone is worth more than four out of ten

That's your take on it
Fair enough, in general

I wouldn't drop Norwood after that performance: I thought he played very well
He takes on the responsibility of the more difficult pass, admittedly sometimes in the wrong places

We nicked it...
Good :)

Worst take since I stated Jay McEverley was a signing with big potential.

No player should be getting a 5. Norwood played well. In a game where both defences dominated, the strikers toiled valiantly but chances were very limited. Zivkovic had an impressive cameo IMHO.

It was a good performance at 0-0 which I was very happy with, last minute winner left me delighted.

Thought moose was good when he came on, did a lot of the dirty work Mcb did but with the added bonus of a turn of pace. He worried Boly, Mcburnie didn’t. 7/10
Agree on Billy. We desperately need a striker this summer, goals scored this season confirms this.
Overall thought we were good tonight. Lack of quality in the final third, we seem to create so many overloads and have a lot of territory without ever looking that dangerous but I suppose those players cost the big dough!

UTB

Very harsh.

Ziv I thought offered something we've not had at the Lane this season but can't quite put my finger on what. Hopefully he builds into the starting 11. Looks quick.

Sharp I agree. Unfortunately he's not strong enough.

Free kick and having a pop at goal...agree. Hit the fucker, make the keeper work.

Everything else. Disagree.

It's no surprise after watching the games against Wolves and Burnley over the past week why there are just 3 points between the 3 sides.

Beesley on his day was fairy decent.

A lot or people on here are characteristically misreading my rating of Sharp. I am not down on Billy Sharp. One of the reasons Ruud van Nistelrooy, Berbatov and Robin van Persie (amongst others) were so prolific at Man U was because they had inputs from all over the park, especially midfield

Sharp is a deadly striker, even at his advanced age. Give him half of a half chance (Bournemouth) and he'll get the ball in. But he needs more than one a match, and needs to be in position to receive

pommpey

The bar was set too high early on for some, outstanding result..

Remember this wolves team handing us our arse the year they went up.. Today was epic..

FYI, we couldn't cope in "la liga" according to the pigs, but went up inside 2 seasons.

Now we're pushing top 6 with a few ganes to go, just what will make some people happy?? Fucking leave the players alone, all of them..

Wolves are a much better team than Spurs we can't go all out attack against them with the talent and pace they have up front. I was hoping Mousset would be a real threat when he came on but he don't look at it at the moment I though Zivkovic did more when he came on. Billy don't have the pace to get behind defences although he did once with a great turn out wide and also a great finish when he had the chance but he was offside, Billy is at his best around the penalty spot not running the channels. Can't really fault the team but we are short of effective pace up front at the moment as Mousset is not on form. I thought Norwood was better tonight but his corners in the last few games have been dire the first time he got one right we go and score, better late than never I suppose.

5/10 for Norwood? We ran the game for much of the 2nd half and he was pivotal. Interceptions, holding the ball and creating space for others and playing decent passes under pressure. Verging on our best player 2nd half.

Why the fuck does your ‘take’ warrant a separate thread? Irritating attention seeker.

Because this is a forum. It has been since the mid nineties with SUISA, when you were still masturbating over your mum's Grattan catalogue underpants pages.

Want some more?

pommpey

5/10 for Norwood? We ran the game for much of the 2nd half and he was pivotal. Interceptions, holding the ball and creating space for others and playing decent passes under pressure. Verging on our best player 2nd half.

What 'decent passes' did he make about ten to fifteen metre square passes? Even when he picks out the wingback, the ball comes back. So why not carry it forward, play a one-two or even have a crack on goal for once? Not every progressive move comes from an outstep-driven, backlift-weighted ball into nowhere.

Norwood needs to be more creative and that creativity needs to lead to goals. Sure, it was his corner, and fuck me it hit the very spot I illustrated he should after the Burnley game instead of the lofted, overhit shit to the empty space at the back post (Newcastle/Man U)

pommpey

Because this is a forum. It has been since the mid nineties with SUISA, when you were still masturbating over your mum's Grattan catalogue underpants pages.

Want some more?

pommpey

Would love some more. You’re so self entitled that you feel you warrant your own threads. I could possibly tolerate that if you posted some sense and didn’t chuck your toys when challenged. The Warnock of this forum, long past your sell by date.

Would love some more. You’re so self entitled that you feel you warrant your own threads. I could possibly tolerate that if you posted some sense and didn’t chuck your toys when challenged. The Warnock of this forum, long past your sell by date.

You have the option to ignore, son. Why not just do that. Or is this you being you - mardy arsed, spoiled and devoid of any opinion?

Look, if you see 'My Take' next time (because fuck me, I'm gonna do it every match now), just scroll past. You'll feel much better for yourself and won't end up being served your arse when you spnd your petulant seed trying to put the likes of me in my place.

Oh, and me = Warnock? How many wanker managers can I compare you to? The agony of choice ....

Now fuck off.

pommpey

pommpey

WTF!......We totally dominated midfield.

Way too harsh on the strikers.

You might as well not rate Sharp in games like that. We all know he's not likely to do much other than score, and if we aren't getting balls in the box enough he's a wasted player.

Moose had some really good touches when he came on. Zivkovic held the ball up well a couple of times and put in a wicked ball that nearly got nodded home.

You have the option to ignore, son. Why not just do that. Or is this you being you - mardy arsed, spoiled and devoid of any opinion?

Look, if you see 'My Take' next time (because fuck me, I'm gonna do it every match now), just scroll past. You'll feel much better for yourself and won't end up being served your arse when you spnd your petulant seed trying to put the likes of me in my place.

Oh, and me = Warnock? How many wanker managers can I compare you to? The agony of choice ....

Now fuck off.

pommpey

Love rattling your cage. You bite so easily and in doing so confirm to the forum what an absolute prick you are. I’ll keep reading your shite and pull you accordingly. As many will be blindingly clapping you, others will appreciate you getting an overdue dose back.

Back
Top Bottom