Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Bert has a Sheffield Boys programme from that era and he's sure that Gary France played for them. He will check tomorrow and report back.
Be interested in that Bert, the dates may we'll tie them together, or not.
Do you have many of those sort of programmes? (Sheffield Boys type stuff).

Garrincha biography is one of the best reads you could have . If you get the chance whilst in lockdown give it a try , brilliant. Nickname little bird but apparently had 20cm big bird . Lost his virginity to a goat which where he came from was the norm. Bet that gets your attention . On top of this was outstanding at footy.

He was from Wombwell?

Really wish I could have seen cricket at the Lane.

Looking at this picture though it’s a really short boundary square of the wicket. Reckon I could still reach the gloves with my knackered arm now from in front of the Kop
I'd have stood and let you do it as well, mate....💪

1962 World Cup QF. Brazil won 3-1. Garrincha (The little bird) ran the show and scored twice

View attachment 75005
Probably posted this before. Late 60's early 70's maybe, one of the tabloids was giving away still frame flick booklets of spectacular goals.
You flicked the pages of stills to see the action.
My cousin had Garrincha scoring a mad banana shot free kick.
I had Bestie rounding Benfica's Gk AT Wembley 68 European cup final.

My first adult hi tech camera shots with my new 110 instamatic taken in June 1976, on a return to my old stomping ground.
First one below is Abbeydale Road from top of Broadfield Road.Abbeydale Road June 1976.jpg
Below is a view down Broadfield Road.
Broadfield Road June 1976.jpg
Last one below is a shot up Bedale Road towards Abbeydale Road from Broadfield Road. Heeley Baths out of shot to the right, Dixon's Mint Rock factory off to the left.Bedale Road June 1976.jpg

As a kid, this area was my walking route to The Lane and back. It was terraced houses, chip shops and little grocery shops interspersed with factories more or less all the way.

Be interested in that Bert, the dates may we'll tie them together, or not.
Do you have many of those sort of programmes? (Sheffield Boys type stuff).
Bert has just delved into his garage and it looks like he was wrong, the only Sheffield Boys programme he has doesn't have Gary France in the team. He does however have him in the United youth team in that era. Note the two future England internationals. 15853901711862055097884981102690.jpg

Bert has just delved into his garage and it looks like he was wrong, the only Sheffield Boys programme he has doesn't have Gary France in the team. He does however have him in the United youth team in that era. Note the two future England internationals. View attachment 75079
Excellent stuff Bert!
Woodcock and Anderson of course.
And a future United manager in the Sheffield Boys line up!

Bert has just delved into his garage and it looks like he was wrong, the only Sheffield Boys programme he has doesn't have Gary France in the team. He does however have him in the United youth team in that era. Note the two future England internationals. View attachment 75079
Reached the semi finals of the Youth Cup that season. Bristol City knocked us out.

Excellent stuff Bert!
Bert went to both games as a couple of his mates were playing, his memory doesn't recall the scores though.

The guy at the back looks a little like Trevor Hockey but can't be as he was with us on that date. Saw him and Hope's first game at Oxford. Remember a wall collapsing think it was that game.

Excellent stuff Bert!
Saw a photo in the Green Un of Steve Faulkner and Steve Thompson when they were playing for Sheffield Boys. Thompson was about half of Faulkner's height. Not many at the time would have imagined that Thompson would grow to be over 6 foot.

Reactions: LSF
Quality

London 3 Sheffield 0. 1892

View attachment 75055

Sheffield (2-3-5): Will Lilley (Sheffield United), Bob Cain (Sheffield United), Albert Mumford (The Wednesday), Albert Rodgers (Rotherham Town), Willie Hendry (Captain, Sheffield United), Ernest Needham (Sheffield United), Billy Longden (Rotherham Town), Sammy Dobson (Sheffield United), Harry Hammond (Sheffield United), Harry Woolhouse (The Wednesday), John Drummond (Sheffield United).
7 Blades, 2 Pigs. Nuff said.

Saw a photo in the Green Un of Steve Faulkner and Steve Thompson when they were playing for Sheffield Boys. Thompson was about half of Faulkner's height. Not many at the time would have imagined that Thompson would grow to be over 6 foot.
I first watched Steve Thompson in a Sheffield Boys U 11 game and he was tiny compared to the other 21 players. Very skilled and assured back then!

Spurs 1 Blades 2 ( Woodward, Bone) 15/9/73

Tony Pritchett wrote in his match report

Woodward scored to complete 100 League goals for the club, and although he has certainly scored many more spectacular goals, I question whether he has shown such remarkable skill and calmness as he did for this one. Tottenham's defence got itself into a mess and Salmons was quick to pick up a loose ball and push it to Woodward out on the left inside the penalty area. The winger had an opponent with him, Jennings coming out and with almost no room Woodward curved the ball cleverly across the front of Jennings and watched it clip the foot of an upright and bounce gently over the line.

A week later he wrote

Sir Alf Ramsey, a man not often known to show his appreciation, was at the match and he was overheard commenting to somebody at half time that Woodward's goal was "magnificent".

Really wish I could have seen cricket at the Lane.

Looking at this picture though it’s a really short boundary square of the wicket. Reckon I could still reach the gloves with my knackered arm now from in front of the Kop
It was relatively short compared to other grounds. From the other end though I'll never forget Freddie Trueman putting one over the main football stand (now the Family Enclosure) - I hope it landed safely.

Some memories there from the names associated with Frecheville and Hackenthorpe. Played against Steve Ludlam when he turned out for the Throstles. Faulkner and Brooks went to the same school as the missus and Brooks used to hang around with some lads I knew off the Silkstone estate. Steve Thomson before he got into management used to train my Sunday football team on a Monday night at Thornbridge school. I still remember the pain in my legs from some very enjoyable sessions.

My first adult hi tech camera shots with my new 110 instamatic taken in June 1976, on a return to my old stomping ground.
First one below is Abbeydale Road from top of Broadfield Road.View attachment 75074
Below is a view down Broadfield Road.
View attachment 75077
Last one below is a shot up Bedale Road towards Abbeydale Road from Broadfield Road. Heeley Baths out of shot to the right, Dixon's Mint Rock factory off to the left.View attachment 75078

As a kid, this area was my walking route to The Lane and back. It was terraced houses, chip shops and little grocery shops interspersed with factories more or less all the way.
More great photos. The Bedale rd picture is amazing. No houses at all there now just car parks for a furniture shop and heeley baths. Technicality I know but think the first shot is from the bottom of Sheldon rd looking towards Abbeydale picture palace further up on the right. Bit strange as there are houses where the junction of broadfield rd and abbeydale rd is now.

Back
Top Bottom