Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Great photos these, the last one especially. I sometimes pop down there for an hours fishing. The cobbles in the foreground have gone, replaced by a wooden bridge and walkway but everything else looks the same. Sheaf View if you turn sharp left at the far end of the photo.
Yes, indeed, I know it well. Coincidentally, a couple of years after this photo, my brother got a job as caretaker for Sheaf Bank Works. He lived in that "penthouse" extension you can see at the far end on the top floor. Some interesting times and characters in and around there during that period. :). I've got few more photos of SBW around somewhere.

Blades 1 QPR 1 in April 1974. Gary France wearing our number 9 shirt. His only League start for us, his next league appearance was coming on as sub in the 3-1 home win against Ipswich in August 1974 and then never played again. Anyone know where did he go to after that? Think Terry Nicholl is sandwiched between QPR's Don Shanks and Gerry Francis.

Gary France wearing our number 9 shirt. His only League start for us, his next league appearance was coming on as sub in the 3-1 home win against Ipswich in August 1974 and then never played again. Anyone know where did he go to after that?

Did a quick web search which came up with a couple of websites which listed his previous clubs as Bury and Burnley, but show nothing after he left us.

These were the places of my childhood. I think one of them was called Skelly's Bridge or Skelly's Walk or something. (?)
Well, the gennel/ginnel/ snicket/ ... called Cutler's Walk which I showed, leads to Sheaf Bank Works which was the home of Skeltons. So maybe you locals called it Skelly's walk???🤷‍♂️

1962 World Cup QF. Brazil won 3-1. Garrincha (The little bird) ran the show and scored twice

View attachment 75005
Garrincha biography is one of the best reads you could have . If you get the chance whilst in lockdown give it a try , brilliant. Nickname little bird but apparently had 20cm big bird . Lost his virginity to a goat which where he came from was the norm. Bet that gets your attention . On top of this was outstanding at footy.

Well, the gennel/ginnel/ snicket/ ... called Cutler's Walk which I showed, leads to Sheaf Bank Works which was the home of Skeltons. So maybe you locals called it Skelly's walk???🤷‍♂️
That makes perfect sense!
My schoolmate was clearly on the wind-up telling me it was short for skeleton because they found a dead body there.

Played for Worksop Boys. Don't think he was off the Valley.
Knew most footballers from there in that era, and Gary wasn't one of them.
You are probably right somebody with that sounding name was off the Valley

If he was born in Whitwell and played for Worksop Boys, wouldn't he have come from over that way originally? I was curious as I remember a Gary France went to silverdale or high storrs but would have been younger than the one who played for us.

Played for Worksop Boys. Don't think he was off the Valley.
Knew most footballers from there in that era, and Gary wasn't one of them.
Bert has a Sheffield Boys programme from that era and he's sure that Gary France played for them. He will check tomorrow and report back.

Reactions: LSF
London 3 Sheffield 0. 1892

sheffield-xi-1892.jpg

Sheffield (2-3-5): Will Lilley (Sheffield United), Bob Cain (Sheffield United), Albert Mumford (The Wednesday), Albert Rodgers (Rotherham Town), Willie Hendry (Captain, Sheffield United), Ernest Needham (Sheffield United), Billy Longden (Rotherham Town), Sammy Dobson (Sheffield United), Harry Hammond (Sheffield United), Harry Woolhouse (The Wednesday), John Drummond (Sheffield United).

London 3 Sheffield 0. 1892

View attachment 75055

Sheffield (2-3-5): Will Lilley (Sheffield United), Bob Cain (Sheffield United), Albert Mumford (The Wednesday), Albert Rodgers (Rotherham Town), Willie Hendry (Captain, Sheffield United), Ernest Needham (Sheffield United), Billy Longden (Rotherham Town), Sammy Dobson (Sheffield United), Harry Hammond (Sheffield United), Harry Woolhouse (The Wednesday), John Drummond (Sheffield United).
Needham is 2nd left front row

Before the game I met John Tudor, his wife and his mother in law. We had a chat. John asked me and my dad to meet again after the match. At the end of the match my dad asked me "come on, let's meet John". I refused at first because he had scored the winner against us. My dad then told me not to be "mardy" and made me meet John as agreed. I had a face like thunder when I met John again, my dad told him about me being upset at him, John laughed and then said "I am sorry"

If he was born in Whitwell and played for Worksop Boys, wouldn't he have come from over that way originally? I was curious as I remember a Gary France went to silverdale or high storrs but would have been younger than the one who played for us.

There was a Gary France in Sheffield, a chef who was going to become the next Gordon Ramsey, Marco Pierre White.

Think he had his own signature restaurant in the Grosvenor and then went on to the Harley Hotel when that was opened by the guys who owned Turret Motors.

This would be late 1980's.

Back
Top Bottom