Statistics 9 times Berge was ignored

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Bergen Blade

Reaction score
I think Sander Berge has done ok so far, not poor, but not great either. I think most appreciate that it will take time to adapt to

• a new country
  • a new league
  • new teammates
  • new playing style
  • new role
And it's going to take time for said teammates to adapt to him as well. Lundstram, they know all about. How he moves, what he's good at. When he wants the ball. What he does with it. The formation change last summer opened up an ideal spot for him and he's done very well. The teammates are still not sure how to integrate him in our playing style. The neat combination play down each side requires great relationship and understanding between players, and it's not there yet when Berge plays.

A few fans are questioning him already. A £20m+ international with Champions League experience, shouldn't we expect more? I'm sure we'll get more, but it may take a bit longer than we and Wilder hoped.

One thing I really like about Berge is his runs on the ball. With a bit of space he can really drive at the opposition and glide past opponents. People may not be aware that he is really fast, and he's got the skill to beat a man. I'd like his teammates to look for such opportunities. If he's unmarked and in some space, give him the ball and see what he can do with it.

Let's have some patience - with him, but also with his teammates who are still not sure whereabouts he is and when to look for him. Some examples, all from the first 25 minutes vs Brighton:

* Sharp shooting, rather than squaring it to Berge in the box:
Skjermbilde 2020-02-23 20.24.59.png

* Sharp nodding the ball back to McBurnie, not to Berge who's got acres of space:
Skjermbilde 2020-02-23 20.33.07.png

* McBurnie passing back to Fleck/Norwood, rather than Berge, again with space in front of him:
Skjermbilde 2020-02-23 20.39.21.png

* Norwood going to the left, rather than to Berge on the right:
Skjermbilde 2020-02-23 20.40.15.png

* O'Connell passing backwards, rather than aiming for the unmarked Berge (who made a gesture that he wanted the ball):
Skjermbilde 2020-02-23 20.41.10.png

* Fleck who turned into his man (though luckily got past him), rather than giving it to Berge:
Skjermbilde 2020-02-23 20.44.40.png

* Egan passing back to Hendo, rather than finding the unmarked Berge with their midfield awol:
Skjermbilde 2020-02-23 20.49.10.png

* Sharp chipping it to their centre backs (think he aimed for McBurnie) rahter than passing low to Berge:
Skjermbilde 2020-02-23 20.55.44.png

* Basham passing out to Baldock, rather than threading it through to Berge:
Skjermbilde 2020-02-23 20.57.35.png

I'm not saying all of these were easy passes to make, maybe not all were right either. But I think they show that Berge did take up some good positions, did make some good runs and he could have been used more.

I think Sander Berge has done ok so far, not poor, but not great either. I think most appreciate that it will take time to adapt to

• a new country
  • a new league
  • new teammates
  • new playing style
  • new role
And it's going to take time for said teammates to adapt to him as well. Lundstram, they know all about. How he moves, what he's good at. When he wants the ball. What he does with it. The formation change last summer opened up an ideal spot for him and he's done very well. The teammates are still not sure how to integrate him in our playing style. The neat combination play down each side requires great relationship and understanding between players, and it's not there yet when Berge plays.

A few fans are questioning him already. A £20m+ international with Champions League experience, shouldn't we expect more? I'm sure we'll get more, but it may take a bit longer than we and Wilder hoped.

One thing I really like about Berge is his runs on the ball. With a bit of space he can really drive at the opposition and glide past opponents. People may not be aware that he is really fast, and he's got the skill to beat a man. I'd like his teammates to look for such opportunities. If he's unmarked and in some space, give him the ball and see what he can do with it.

Let's have some patience - with him, but also with his teammates who are still not sure whereabouts he is and when to look for him. Some examples, all from the first 25 minutes vs Brighton:

View attachment 72291

* Sharp nodding the ball back to McBurnie, not to Berge who's got acres of space:
View attachment 72292

* McBurnie passing back to Fleck/Norwood, rather than Berge, again with space in front of him:
View attachment 72293

View attachment 72294

* O'Connell passing backwards, rather than aiming for the unmarked Berge (who made a gesture that he wanted the ball):
View attachment 72295

* Fleck who turned into his man (though luckily got past him), rather than giving it to Berge:
View attachment 72296

* Egan passing back to Hendo, rather than finding the unmarked Berge with their midfield awol:
View attachment 72297

* Sharp chipping it to their centre backs (think he aimed for McBurnie) rahter than passing low to Berge:
View attachment 72298

View attachment 72299

I'm not saying all of these were easy passes to make, maybe not all were right either. But I think they show that Berge did take up some good positions, did make some good runs and he could have been used more.
I don't think all of those passes are 1) Realistic 2) How we play. The example of the JOC pass is a good one. I don't think Wilder wants him playing that pass.

If Berge is good enough he'll bend the team to his will

Very telling, I noticed the last one with sander free down the right and it was an easy ball to him ignored. But like you say its getting to know you time, I'm already looking forward to next season 😎 oh wait, isn't that when we get found out 😭😆

Great analysis as always Bergen - but to be fair, Sharp won't be seeing anything but the net in example one - whether Sander or an African Bush Elephant were unmarked and in acres of space.
That was a great volley by Sharp ;if it had gone in it was up there with Endas but of course it didn’t .

• a new country
  • a new league
  • new teammates
  • new playing style
  • new role

View attachment 72291

View attachment 72292

View attachment 72293

View attachment 72294

View attachment 72295

View attachment 72296

View attachment 72297

View attachment 72298

View attachment 72299

Do you think they saw how Berge was playing in the first half too then!??

• a new country
  • a new league
  • new teammates
  • new playing style
  • new role

View attachment 72291

View attachment 72292

View attachment 72293

View attachment 72294

View attachment 72295

View attachment 72296

View attachment 72297

View attachment 72298

View attachment 72299

I remember two of those and Berge was by far the better option to pass to. It is like our players didn't see him, maybe he needs to be more vocal on the pitch.

Anyway he has only been here a few weeks and I am sure it will start to click.

The team seems far to keen to turn round and pass backwards under no real pressure and I know that's our style but it drives me insane when a player runs forward can't see a pass so plays it back to.hendo who scoops it up in the air giving the ball away

I'd agree with most of those but the Sharp nodding back to McBurnie one is the right choice. Berge isn't far enough forward. He should at least be online with Fleck.

The O'Connell one would be a bit of a gamble. there are a couple of Brighton players on the front foot looking to cut the pass out. Its just a case of looking after the ball that one.

Great stuff Bergen Blade. I was screaming on several occasions on Saturday for someone to pass the ball to him as he was in space and could have carried the ball into a dangerous position.

In any case it is always hard for a new signing to slot into a well established team, especially one that plays such a well drilled system. The fact that he has done ok is a testament to him, rather than a detriment under these circumstances. It was right for Wilder to drop him in at the deep end, not only did it show Sander the step up required, but it has also put a foot up Lunstram's arse, at at time when he had dropped off the pace.

I think he will be a great signing for us, we just have to manage our expectations this season. Personally I would let him loose in the cup too, with Besic and L.Freeman.

He was excellent Saturday. His movement is a big quality of his.He always seems to be in space.

• a new country
  • a new league
  • new teammates
  • new playing style
  • new role

View attachment 72291

View attachment 72292

View attachment 72293

View attachment 72294

View attachment 72295

View attachment 72296

View attachment 72297

View attachment 72298

View attachment 72299

These are great to highlight. I think first half it was a bit more than not making the pass directly to Berge, but also a general reluctance to move the ball to the right. It was noticeable in that first half that we would attempt to go down the left, couldn’t work an opening but retained possession, then passed it back inside to Norwood or Egan, and then with passes available on the right both of them would almost always choose to work it back to the left immediately. It seemed like a self-perpetuating problem – we wouldn’t get it to the right as the key people to do that possibly didn’t have the confidence in putting the ball there, and the 3 Bs looked like they didn’t have a good understanding between the three of them because they were starved of the ball, meaning they would be passed to less, and so on. The heat map at half time yesterday highlighted this, though we did improve second half I thought.

To pick Osborn out for a minute, he is arguably better suited to LCM than LWB, and till the new year I thought he looked a bit lost when he’d played. At LWB you could argue it was because he was playing in the reserve cup sides, but in the other sub appearances it was obviously those that are more used to the system. I think yesterday we saw the accumulated benefit of him training, watching, and occasionally playing in those roles in the 8 months he’s been with us. It takes time. As good a player as I’m sure Berge will prove to be for us, we can’t really expect him to click from day 1, or for the rest of his team-mates to click with him from day 1.

Sorry but no way would the players have passed to Berge in any of those screenshots you took because there was long yellow party balloon in the way
A colourblind Brighton fan took it to the game.

Very telling, I noticed the last one with sander free down the right and it was an easy ball to him ignored. But like you say its getting to know you time, I'm already looking forward to next season 😎 oh wait, isn't that when we get found out 😭😆
All what Bergen highlighted will be brought up when the players review the match with Wilder.As Bergen says he's new to the system and maybe he brings something else to the table which the team has to take on board, after all the system is permanently moving forward , only way to stay in front of the rest (premier teams ).

To go off topic slightly and the use of 'ignore' maybe strong but in the first half Baldock (and he's done this many times this season) picks up a position where he is inside their back three but on the shoulder of the last defender just waiting for a threaded pass from Norwood or Fleck.

The pass is never forthcoming or is just cut out.

Needs work but it's the pass to open up defences that we are looking for.

All what Bergen highlighted will be brought up when the players review the match with Wilder.As Bergen says he's new to the system and maybe he brings something else to the table which the team has to take on board, after all the system is permanently moving forward , only way to stay in front of the rest (premier teams ).

Hate to be critical but I hope Mr Wilder gets an explanation off JOC as to why he just pumped the ball long leading to the freekick that lead to their goal.

We don't do that JOC.

Hate to be critical but I hope Mr Wilder gets an explanation off JOC as to why he just pumped the ball long leading to the freekick that lead to their goal.

We don't do that JOC.

Or why John Fleck went in like a bull at a gate for a ball he had little or no chance of winning and when there was little or no danger ?

Point 1. Billy ain't ever going to pass when he has a shot at goal. Point 2 - Maybe Sander should start opening his gob and be more demanding.

I know this maybe a touch controversial but he is a pass ahead of most of our team in terms of strategy, . The runs he is making are great and will eventually move the blades to the next level when our other players catch up imo. He creates space effortlessly and with the intelligent players we have in midfield it wont take long for him to pay off big style. Hes going to be the key to our progress.

I know this maybe a touch controversial but he is a pass ahead of most of our team in terms of strategy, . The runs he is making are great and will eventually move the blades to the next level when our other players catch up imo. He creates space effortlessly and with the intelligent players we have in midfield it wont take long for him to pay off big style. Hes going to be the key to our progress.

Agree, he looks like he belongs on a footie pitch.

The team seems far to keen to turn round and pass backwards under no real pressure and I know that's our style but it drives me insane when a player runs forward can't see a pass so plays it back to.hendo who scoops it up in the air giving the ball away
Not complaining how we play (we looked back to ourselves up to scoring yesterday) but Bergen Blade makes a good point.
My slight gripe is we often choose a side to go down and get chalk on the boots but don’t often come back inside to pick unmarked players after their defence has followed us wide. I might be wrong but most of our goals are from crosses after we’ve worked it up the side line hence Steve’s and Baldock always seemingly involved.
From the clips of Berge he either runs the centre box to box channel or makes himself available in that same channel.

I think there’s a bit of, new kid on the block syndrome with Berge. His affable keen to please demeanor isn’t doing him any favours in this respect, trying to break into a well established team ethos that has grown very strong roots around the regulars.
At just 21 years old and in a totally new environment, he lacks the experience and maturity to be more assertive in these circumstances.
It’s surely only a matter of time, before his obvious skills earn him some respect from the established group. He is growing game by game, and eventually the team will adopt him as one of their own.

Back
Top Bottom