Mings out

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Many voices preferred Freeman. All based on him scoring goals in league 1.
No. Freeman was better when Baldock first joined us. I came to that conclusion by watching them both in the championship. Baldock has improved massively whereas Freeman appears to have lost interest and gone backwards.
There’s no need to turn it into some kind of agenda to dig out anyone who said Freeman was better at the time he was better. Wilder obviously thought he was better or he wouldn’t have kept picking him. And since Baldock improved, he’s now picking him instead.

No. Freeman was better when Baldock first joined us. I came to that conclusion by watching them both in the championship. Baldock has improved massively whereas Freeman appears to have lost interest and gone backwards.
There’s no need to turn it into some kind of agenda to dig out anyone who said Freeman was better at the time he was better. Wilder obviously thought he was better or he wouldn’t have kept picking him. And since Baldock improved, he’s now picking him instead.
I disagree with that though, I always thought Baldock was the better player as you'll find if you look back :). That's based on him being the better defender, I always thought Freeman was suspect defending, but in league 1 he didn't have to do that as much.

I disagree with that though, I always thought Baldock was the better player as you'll find if you look back :). That's based on him being the better defender, I always thought Freeman was suspect defending, but in league 1 he didn't have to do that as much.
But that’s a matter of opinion though. Freeman has played enough games to indicate that at the time there wasn’t much between them. There isn’t an argument now.
You’re perfectly entitled to your opinion, I just take issue in being put in a category and told why I thought Freeman was better, like I’m some kind of idiot.

But that’s a matter of opinion though. Freeman has played enough games to indicate that at the time there wasn’t much between them. There isn’t an argument now.
You’re perfectly entitled to your opinion, I just take issue in being put in a category and told why I thought Freeman was better, like I’m some kind of idiot.
Many voices isn't all....

There was a thread way back when....the reasoning of 'many' was down to Freeman's attacking contributions (this was out first season back in the champ) in comparison to Baldocks.

The real difference between the players is going forward though. Baldock is great going forward but Alexander-Arnold is exceptional.
+1 on this.

TAA 12 assists in the PL last season alone, i think the argument stops their.

Probably say the same about Maguire.
I would, and I did, but I didn’t want to open up the Blade bashing stuff again. I think Maguire being England’s first choice centre back shows how far we’ve fallen in that position.
I’ve not seen any young English centre half that looks like he’d be in the Terry, Ferdinand, King, Campbell league never mind the 4 we had.

I would, and I did, but I didn’t want to open up the Blade bashing stuff again. I think Maguire being England’s first choice centre back shows how far we’ve fallen in that position.
I’ve not seen any young English centre half that looks like he’d be in the Terry, Ferdinand, King, Campbell league never mind the 4 we had.
They were proper defenders playing at a time when you were allowed to defend properly. Any slight touch now is a free kick, defending has been removed from the game.

Villa fans not happy with Mings lately. Also say that McGin ( spelling) needs dropping

They were proper defenders playing at a time when you were allowed to defend properly. Any slight touch now is a free kick, defending has been removed from the game.
They could do both and did. VVD is lauded currently, and rightly so, but you can still be a proper defender in today’s game. All four of those would be just fine.

Mings is good and it’s only bitter United fans that don’t rate him, he was excellent (albeit in a non event game but can only play against who you’re up against) in his England game I watched too.
He's a fantastic athlete with excellent recovery skills. Put him next to a grownup like Kompany, VVD and I'm all in. Make him the leader of your defence and you'll concede a load of goals where you can't figure out where your defenders have gone

He's a fantastic athlete with excellent recovery skills. Put him next to a grownup like Kompany, VVD and I'm all in. Make him the leader of your defence and you'll concede a load of goals where you can't figure out where your defenders have gone

I agree and i think thats where he differs from our players as he has different toolset that can be used with someone class like Maguire and is still very very young for a center half.

I agree and i think thats where he differs from our players as he has different toolset that can be used with someone class like Maguire and is still very very young for a center half.
He's more athletic than any of ours. But lacks their positional sense

Seems to be a common opinion on this thread that Baldock is a better defender than Alexander-Arnold, my question is where does this opinion come from? If someone could show me some stats indicating that Baldock has more ball recoveries, interceptions etc, then I'd maybe understand, but I'm not convinced.
Beyond that, all we can really go on is the eye test: Neither seem to pulled out of position much, and both are great at 1 on 1 defending - as far as I'm concerned, their both good defenders.

The real difference between the players is going forward though. Baldock is great going forward but Alexander-Arnold is exceptional.

Just anecdotal. I end up watching quite a lot of Liverpool games, I've watched 14 this season.

Great going forward, but if any of their defence are getting done it's TAA, and the difference is clear compared to Robertson, with similar stats going forward.

The Comms often mention his defending too, so I think it's quite a widely held opinion.

As for Baldock there's a few stats on the PL site but not loads.

_20191211_125555.JPG

TAA has more blocks. That was too far up to screenshot.

Just anecdotal. I end up watching quite a lot of Liverpool games, I've watched 14 this season.

Great going forward, but if any of their defence are getting done it's TAA, and the difference is clear compared to Robertson, with similar stats going forward.

The Comms often mention his defending too, so I think it's quite a widely held opinion.

As for Baldock there's a few stats on the PL site but not loads.

View attachment 66324

TAA has more blocks. That was too far up to screenshot.

Based on those (limited) stats, I'd say the two players are at a similar level, with Baldock edging in terms of aerial ability.

To me, those stats don't justify the implication that Baldock is a good defender and Alexander-Arnold isn't.

As a side note, I generally listen to games without commentators, as I find them to be useless.

I live amongst a lot of Villa fans and, after Grealish, they regard Mings as their most important player. It’s not just his actual ability, but his leadership by example in effort and commitment.

He’s here, he’s there, he’s every fucking where Tyron Mings, Tyrone Mings is his song.

So I am very happy that he will miss our game, as they are much weaker mentally without him.
Aye, all over the fucking place cos he doesn’t read the game like Egan does.

Mings out, just need lunny to give that twat grealish a reminder of the last visit to lane

Based on those (limited) stats, I'd say the two players are at a similar level, with Baldock edging in terms of aerial ability.

To me, those stats don't justify the implication that Baldock is a good defender and Alexander-Arnold isn't.

As a side note, I generally listen to games without commentators, as I find them to be useless.

Alexander Arnold is a good defender, I just think Baldock is a better defender. But it's A and A+.

TAA is undoubtedly orders of magnitude more able in an attacking sense though thanks to his delivery. Imo Baldock should be looking at Robertson's game as something to aspire to.

I was referring to somethin

I was referring to his comment/question that we have never had a dirty bastard in our team. You got hold of the wrong end of the stick.
I might have! What I meant was, if Pittsburgh think he's good any other comment is irrelevant.

I was referring to somethin

I was referring to his comment/question that we have never had a dirty bastard in our team. You got hold of the wrong end of the stick.
Tbf, I think he was being sarcastic.

Cos he's a 25m centre half.... That is all.

What is amusing is that Howe clearly rates Ake and even Steve Cook ahead of him, yet they're nowhere near the England team. This guy gets sold for 25m, does his pointing and shouting for a few games and gets a call up.

Ake linked with a move back to Chelsea. Just Chelsea doing Chelsea things..

Saying that, Lampard will have known Ake as a youngster

Back
Top Bottom