Gone Elsewhere Charlie Austin

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

That tweet was 9 hours ago and so if the talksport announcement on no Austin bid was just now then presumably the £5m bid that this Walton guy has said is probably rubbish.
Probably - highly likely

Not sure about Austin but I'd take him for 5m. Madine would cost at least that and I'd rather have Austin. No need to go any higher as Southampton are 'forced sellers'.

Not sure about Austin but I'd take him for 5m. Madine would cost at least that and I'd rather have Austin. No need to go any higher as Southampton are 'forced sellers'.

I get your logic but Austin's career seems to be on a downward spiral and he doesn't fit under Wilders ideal player type - i.e. someone up and coming and with a point to prove that they are good enough for the PL. Austin's already achieved in the Prem and being called up for England.

Saying that, Wilder has signed experienced players before such as Richard Stearman but I'm not so sure that Austin will be someone we'd go for. Madine does fit more into Wilders mould as someone no doubt desperate to play PL football but that's not to say he's a better player than Austin. I was really impressed with Madine last season but I do accept if he costs £5m then you can argue a case for other players in that bracket, but I can't name a target man who is as good as Madine that you'll get for under £5m from the UK, I reckon Austin will cost more on wages than Madine.

The local Southampton corespondent has just been on Talksport taking about their Che Adams transfer.

He said that the Saints are now trying to get their surplus players off the wage bill
And then said he understands “there is no truth in the rumours that Southampton have received any interest about Charlie Austin from Sheffield United”.
As I’ve said multiple times

I get your logic but Austin's career seems to be on a downward spiral and he doesn't fit under Wilders ideal player type - i.e. someone up and coming and with a point to prove that they are good enough for the PL. Austin's already achieved in the Prem and being called up for England.

Saying that, Wilder has signed experienced players before such as Richard Stearman but I'm not so sure that Austin will be someone we'd go for. Madine does fit more into Wilders mould as someone no doubt desperate to play PL football but that's not to say he's a better player than Austin. I was really impressed with Madine last season but I do accept if he costs £5m then you can argue a case for other players in that bracket, but I can't name a target man who is as good as Madine that you'll get for under £5m from the UK, I reckon Austin will cost more on wages than Madine.

I reckon he’s a better player more mobile

I hear you. I think when we look for absolute bargains like we do then any potential loss will be marginal. But I don't think CW recruits with a view to resale profit. I do however think he recruits to invest in the club's benefit.

I would imagine he factors everything into his decisions, including future resale value.

I've no doubt that Wilder has the well-being of the club at the front of his mind when considering any potential transfer, in or out. Short term: Is this player going to be able to help us out this season? Long term: will this player help us next season and/or beyond?

No doubt resale value will be one of the long-term factors when examining/comparing potential recruits.

Modern footballers do not fall off at all at 30, it's more like 35 now due to better sports science.

Regardless of age/sports science, anyone who has seen Austin play in the last couple of years will be able to confirm that he is well and truly over the hill. In fact, he's currently free-wheeling down the other side, fast approaching the bottom.

“We do not want people who are just seeing their career out. We want them to have that attitude, to kick on and improve.”

Wilder today taken from the Yorkshire Post, this tells me that Austin at this stage of his career isn't the type he wants.

We knew it already but this is even more direct.

Chaz Austin not in Southampton squad

Southampton have named their squad for the pre-season camp in Austria – and Charlie Austin and Mario Lemina are NOT in it.

The futures of both players are in doubt this summer, with Saints aware of interest from other clubs, Sky Sports News understands.

You truly have the Madines.

Don’t you ?

UTB

Would Austin be that bad if he's fully fit? I wouldn't be surprised if he shows up if McBurnie is too expensive.

You truly have the Madines.

Don’t you ?

UTB

I admit I do have a soft spot for the man! I thought he could do a job for us and in my view he did. Whether he's good enough for the PL is up for debate for some but if we do sign Maupay I'd say the chances of signing Madine are much higher than they are if we sign McBurnie. I'd love McBurnie, as well as Maupay, don't get me wrong but I think Madine could do a job for us yes.

Charlie Austin might be the only striker left we can go for

There is always Conor Sammon.

Actually there isn't because he just signed for Falkirk the other day.

Picking up little bits and pieces that we are close to this one, early next week..

No , no , no and no . Maybe Austin from 5+ years ago .
In RC we trust
UTB

At least Austin has been a good player. There’s more chance of Wilder getting a formerly good player who’s lost his way back on track than turning a shit player into a good one.

I know we have no interest in him (In Cadette we trust), BUT
they have told him to train with U23s so if they are desperate to get rid, maybe they can give him us on a free??

they have told him to train with U23s so if they are desperate to get rid, maybe they can give him us on a free??
Doubt they’ll give him away TBH.

He's had I right rant apparently, when they told him he couldn't use the first team dressing room.

Back
Top Bottom