Outgoing? George Baldock

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I know Celtic are big. But the league they play in isn’t.

It would be a move to get Champions League football and to be honest, Celtic aren’t that great in Champions League either

If he has some ambition, I’d suggest that the Premier League is the best place to test himself and take his career to that next level.

As he’s a Spurs fan, I’d guess that’s where he ultimately wants to play and probably his best chance of doing that is playing for a Premier League side first.

Something that struck me over the last 2 seasons was the frequency with which we gave away daft free kicks and conceded in open play as well as looking very shaky defensively under pressure at home.

It was down our left.

I like George, and he's certainly never let anyone down, but he is playing in a position which is critical to our style of play, and sadly we just don't get enough end result from him. Compare him to Enda, and he is way behind. We need better, I'm afraid.

Never saw this one coming but it seems to have more creedence than most of the rumours we've had so far. Good luck to him if true and you can't blame him for trophy hunting and stepping into the Champions League. Has never let us down and as long as we can replace him with little difference in cost then so be it.

Wouldnt be averse to letting him go but then that means we need two players in for that position as we needed to upgrade there anyway

His end product is pretty much awful nine times out of ten and defensively he leaves a lot of space for crosses ,although he did seem to tighten up on this second half of the season

If we were still in the championship, £2 million would seem a good figure for a guy who we got for nothing and is in the last year of his contract, anything over 3 is subsequently a good deal.
We need a new RB with Freeman as understudy and is Norrington Davies considered good enough as understudy to Enda?
In addition we need players to go straight into the first team at RCB, no ten and two strikers. That is five players who I would expect to cost us 30- 40 million to enable us to tread water in the premiership.

I hope this is a Lee Evans / Ollie Norwood situation. On the face of it, a bit of a head scratcher to sell a first-team player, but the end result meant a greatly improved team.

If he does go, GLTTL and all that. Played a key role in our promotion to the Premier League, as well as the celebrations after it. Always gave 100% and will always be very welcome at Bramall Lane.

Can't believe the pelters Baldock gets. I think he was one of our better players last season, rarely lets you down defensively, great engine which is required... I think he'd be fine in the Prem.

The players mentioned to replace him .... we've had a league 1 player mentioned and a champ/league 1 player. Are we serious?!

We sell for 3/4m (some are saying that's too much), who exactly are we going to replace him with for that kind of money that will improve the right side. Absolutely nobody.

Regarding the player who will least likely make the step up, Basham leads this race by a country mile.

I don't think Wilder is convinced with either Baldock or Freeman which is why they've both had long spells on the sidelines. Baldock is the more reliable but I think the fact Freeman played less and seemed unfit at the latter end of the season yet still got more goals and assists than Baldock means it's a position Wilder will be looking to strengthen.

Two ways to look at that for me?

Is it that Wilder is convinced by NEITHER or that he's comfortable with BOTH?

Two ways to look at that for me?

Is it that Wilder is convinced by NEITHER or that he's comfortable with BOTH?
Can't see him being comfy with both. 99 times out of 100 he thinks the same as the fans, and hardly any fans appear to think Freeman is good enough for prem.

Image result for its a no from me dawg

Interesting that there has been no mention of extending his contract if indeed it does only have 12 months to run.....CW is usually all over this to tie his players down. could be that he is happy to let George go if he doesn't feel he can make the step up? The Celtic link could also be his agent putting pressure on us to offer him a new deal.

Personally I am concerned about the whole right hand side, Baldock, Freeman and Bash are all potential weaknesses for me at Prem level and I would like to see a new RWB and RCB with 2 of the three aforementioned as cover and nothing more.

Interesting that there has been no mention of extending his contract if indeed it does only have 12 months to run.....CW is usually all over this to tie his players down. could be that he is happy to let George go if he doesn't feel he can make the step up? The Celtic link could also be his agent putting pressure on us to offer him a new deal.

Personally I am concerned about the whole right hand side, Baldock, Freeman and Bash are all potential weaknesses for me at Prem level and I would like to see a new RWB and RCB with 2 of the three aforementioned as cover and nothing more.
If we are being really serious, if such as Freeman and Bash are not good enough to start, they aren't good enough as cover either. The whole squad should, in theory, be good enough to start.

The players mentioned to replace him .... we've had a league 1 player mentioned and a champ/league 1 player. Are we serious?!

When we were promoted from League 1 we brought in someone from League 2 to immediately oust our ever-present left wingback with bags of experience in the Championship. So yes, it’s within the realms of possibility that Wilder could do something similar here.

🤔

I actually thought he'd be fine in the Premier League. Athletic, quick, and not bad defensively.

If, however, we're wanting someone with the quality of Enda going forward, fair enough. Having two absolutely top quality wing backs who are both big threats in attack will no doubt improve us.

I didn't consider that we'd think about selling George, but if we bring in someone with that extra quality in attack, then we'll be better for it. I'd have given him a chance, but if Wilder sees him as cover, and Baldock isn't happy with it, fair enough.

Who are the legions of right wing backs in the top two tiers of English football better than George Baldock?
There's a few, but not that many. What they'd cost would eat up a large chunk of United's budget if not all of it.

Let him go to Celtic and see if we can tempt Rangers to part with James Tavernier for a similar fee.

I have similar thoughts.

I'm not sure where, but I want at least one of the right sided positions to be upgraded.

Basham at this stage in his career is primed to make the step up so if any I'd prioritise RWB.

Signing a decent RWB would cost a fee similar to what we could get for Baldock.

Selling Baldock could be the best way to facilitate this spend, without affecting the budget. It would be smart management if we can upgrade.

Freeman unfortunately would barely bring in £1m.

For example, we sell Baldock for £3.5m and bring in one of....

James Justin - £5m - "Listen James, we know you can go to Leicester and earn a fortune but we guarantee you first team football"
Andy Yiadom - £4m - "Listen Andy, if you can move to Barnsley you can move to Sheffield"
Mason Holgate - Loan - "Listen Mason, we're signing you to play RWB and will spend part of the Baldock fee on a CB"
I would happily have Kyle Naughton back ,I really don't rate Mason Holgate at all.

I would happily have Kyle Naughton back ,I really don't rate Mason Holgate at all.
Naughton? That same Naughton who Swansea fans would drive here and can’t even get in his own side at right back?

Nowhere near good enough anymore. We’ve been promoted.

Baldock or Freeman? Over the last couple of seasons most on here tend to agree that Freeman offers more going forward but Baldock better defensively, when one of them gets the nod he seems to up his game for a few matches, not an awful lot to choose between them but a position I have said needs upgrading, 4 million? Seems like a lot to me, is this because we are now in the premier? Players we are interested in the price now goes up, is it the same with sales? Never thought about it before
We do need an upgrade really unless either one can improve substantially ,Wilder will have his opinion on that.Agree with you Boxer!.
Baldock flatters to deceive going forward decent defender.
Freeman is a better attacking forwards but a bit iffy defensively ,he also seems to have a stamina problem ( I could be wrong on that as he never seems to keep fit long enough to judge ).
As always in Wilder we trust , never had a manager who seems to be on the same wave length as us fans since Dave Bassett ,Wilder is in good company.

Funnily enough - Just come across this on twitter, apparently it’s legit. No mention of Baldock on this list.

D5465C20-23B2-4E48-B36F-8B09D5C62577.jpeg

I know he got injured last summer and was out for most of the season but when forest signed him on loan I thought that's a good signing. Sam byram from West ham. Couple of years ago at Leeds was widely regarded as the best RB outside the Prem. Don't know his injury situation, but I'm sure West ham will be looking to offload.

Naughton? That same Naughton who Swansea fans would drive here and can’t even get in his own side at right back?

Nowhere near good enough anymore. We’ve been promoted.
You could say the same for every player weve got ,Egan Oconnell ,McGoldrick ,Norwood ,all championship rejects unwanted by their clubs and fans. We know what Naughton is capable of ,and from what Ive seen is far better than Holgate who has looked shocking everytime Ive seen him. Naughton has also played over 200 games in the premier league.

Back
Top Bottom