£1.5m bonus for Chris and WBA

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Blade58

Once a Blade, always a daft ****
Reaction score
Sun reports this morning that CW picks up a £1.5m bonus which was negotiated when he signed his new contract for gaining promotion

Also says that managerless WBA are/ were desperate to sign him and that CW "could" have been tempted due to the ongoing issues with the owners hampering him

Also says CW is deffo want to sign Hogan if a deal can be threashed out. CW is a big fan.

Sun reports this morning that CW picks up a £1.5m bonus which was negotiated when he signed his new contract for gaining promotion

Also says that managerless WBA are/ were desperate to sign him and that CW "could" have been tempted due to the ongoing issues with the owners hampering him

Also says CW is deffo want to sign Hogan if a deal can be threashed out. CW is a big fan.

Sun? Reports?

If we hadn’t gone up I’d have been perfectly happy with this – less sure now that we’ve gone up. I wouldn’t be at all surprised though – Wilder’s been after him for nearly 2 years, and has probably seen enough to suggest he could get something out of him. I’d worry if we spent anything over £4m though that it would be a waste of resources.

How can anyone be concerned about signing Hogan permanently? Have you not seen what CWAK has done with Leon, Didsy and possibly even Sharp?

I have. I’m waiting to see him do the same with Hogan tbh. He’ll forever carry a fond memory for his goal against Ipswich, and I know he hasn’t featured regularly, but I don’t think he’s done enough in the games he has played to make this signing a priority. By all means have him as an option if moves for better targets don’t come off, but I wouldn’t consider signing him until we’ve tried that.

Lets knock the tax off to start with , then look again . Worth every penny , now how much will Brucie earn ?:

Hogan would be a seriously hopeful, underwhelming punt at PL level.

We need at least one attacker with pace. We can't be wasting one of those positions on him.

If we've all but agreed to sign Madine as well, we'd be cluttering up our squad and heading down the old quantity over quality route before we've even started.

Hogan doesn't suit us. He's a run in behind player only. We'd be better signing pacy players who pick up the ball deeper and out wide.

There's lots of references to the word 'could' there in relation to West Brom and Chris Wilder.

I 'could' win lottery tonight and I 'could' elope with Scarlett Johansson, but neither will happen!

It's just newspaper trash.

If Wilder is picking up that kind of bonus then well done him I say!!
He’s earned the bonus having probably never really been on big money as a player, been low paid for long periods as a part time manager and lower league manager and now worked miracles with his last two clubs.

Wouldn’t begrudge him a penny....I suspect even with the big money he will still catch the bus, pop to his mates for a piss up and be totally down to earth.

I have. I’m waiting to see him do the same with Hogan tbh. He’ll forever carry a fond memory for his goal against Ipswich, and I know he hasn’t featured regularly, but I don’t think he’s done enough in the games he has played to make this signing a priority. By all means have him as an option if moves for better targets don’t come off, but I wouldn’t consider signing him until we’ve tried that.

We are not going to play over lapping CBs at most of the away grounds next year. I would have thought we would bring in a winger system and therefore different tactics which includes hitting balls into the the channels that Hogan is so good at running into. If we have different ways to play next season then I think that Hogan would fit in nicely into one of them.
I am not saying he will be our number striker but he would be a decent backup option.

UTMB
FTP

We need at least one attacker with pace. We can't be wasting one of those positions on him.

If we've all but agreed to sign Madine as well, we'd be cluttering up our squad and heading down the old quantity over quality route before we've even started.

Hogan doesn't suit us. He's a run in behind player only. We'd be better signing pacy players who pick up the ball deeper and out wide.

What claptrap.
Is Hogan faster than Sharp?- Yes
Can the lad finish?-not as well as Sharp but yes
Is he going to cost what Villa paid? Nowhere near.
Do we need players who can run in behind? Of course we do, players who can feed off nod downs and flick ons, players who will play on the shoulder of high line defenders (as we will face every week when under pressure) and run the channels to get us up the pitch.

I’m afraid, sentiment won’t come into it and Billy might find himself getting less game time away from home when our tactics will invariably change to a counter attacking set up.
Pace is crucial, and Hogan is pretty nippy. Although I would love some power and pace as well....in the mould of the many tall, muscular and fast Black strikers that seem to be well sort after

My worry with Hogan isn’t for now, it’s that we could get relegated and would have him as a weight round the neck, a year older and a year slower.

If we hadn’t gone up I’d have been perfectly happy with this – less sure now that we’ve gone up. I wouldn’t be at all surprised though – Wilder’s been after him for nearly 2 years, and has probably seen enough to suggest he could get something out of him. I’d worry if we spent anything over £4m though that it would be a waste of resources.

When Wilder chases a player for this long,it just makes me think of Leonard and Holmes.

What claptrap.
Is Hogan faster than Sharp?- Yes
Can the lad finish?-not as well as Sharp but yes
Is he going to cost what Villa paid? Nowhere near.
Do we need players who can run in behind? Of course we do, players who can feed off nod downs and flick ons, players who will play on the shoulder of high line defenders (as we will face every week when under pressure) and run the channels to get us up the pitch.

I’m afraid, sentiment won’t come into it and Billy might find himself getting less game time away from home when our tactics will invariably change to a counter attacking set up.
Pace is crucial, and Hogan is pretty nippy. Although I would love some power and pace as well....in the mould of the many tall, muscular and fast Black strikers that seem to be well sort after

Thing is, Hogan hasn't even looked that quick. And PL defenders are quicker.

He doesn't look great at feeding off flick ons and scraps.

Running the channels and retaining possession isn't his strength.

He doesn't appear to be what he was before his knee injury.

There isn't one part of his game that we couldn't get somebody better for.

As for those black strikers.... you're preaching to the long term converted!

I wouldn’t write Sharp off quite yet. I recall before the season a few suggested Sharp was less suited to our game away from home – 12 of his 23 have been on the road.

Hogan seems to have looked quickest when chasing down opposing defenders and keepers. He has not looked quick on the ball, and has featured surprisingly less away from home than at home.

The only thing I think he has on his side over Sharp currently is his age – at 27 he could still improve.

You can see there is a real player in Hogan and Wilder will get the best from him. He had a shocking injury, no game time with Villa and was discarded. Coming to us his confidence would have been rock bottom. I have seen an improvement in him as he has started to adjust to our game and I thought his movement was excellent last week. A full pre season working with Wilder & Knill and we will have another bargain on our books that won't look out of place next season.

How can anyone be concerned about signing Hogan permanently? Have you not seen what CWAK has done with Leon, Didsy and possibly even Sharp?
Clarke yes, Sharp and McGoldrick were always quality (just a Q. over McGs fitness). Neither of Madine or Hogan have proved themselves in their time with us, we really need to shoot higher.

We need 2 more strikers, I really hope Madine and Hogan aren't either of them.
I've got a feeling your hopes will be dashed over the coming weeks unfortunately.

I wouldn’t write Sharp off quite yet. I recall before the season a few suggested Sharp was less suited to our game away from home – 12 of his 23 have been on the road.

Hogan seems to have looked quickest when chasing down opposing defenders and keepers. He has not looked quick on the ball, and has featured surprisingly less away from home than at home.

The only thing I think he has on his side over Sharp currently is his age – at 27 he could still improve.
But haven't Sharp's legs gone??

Back
Top Bottom