Jamals fuck up

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I like Jamal really want him to be a success and so far he certainly is

My worry is he is very quiet and even though I think he's a better all round keeper than Moore I fear that when Wrights out the team lacks an organiser

This wasn't the case yesterday so I was worried about nothing

The team and the players in it are growing in a way I've not really seen since the basset days or the jags tongey and monty through the ranks days

im certainly looking at the team in a very analytical way as I'm a critical thinker and I'm always interested how teams will try and combat us

Yesterday reading were out and out hoof but second half (or some of it ) They got the ball down at the back and moved it fast and accurately and played round us

We defended well and held on but it worried me and I couldn't work out if we looked tired or it was tactical but that spell from them was the first time anyone really bettered us on the ball since Brentford
Having said that we created some good chances on the break and could have buried reading out of sight

So all good
We forced them into hoofball ,they tried the '3 men round the box -roll it out- 20 passes to gain 10 yards-then back to the keeper to boot it' David Weir routine to try and make us nod off ,but I think even they got bored of it . I couldn't watch that shit every week ,although saying that I did under Weir and Adkins.

I don’t know what it is about “Inspector Gadget” as apart from a few early kicking wobbles, Jamal’s not given me anything to worry about really. Initially I did think he might have a blunder in him but the more he plays, the more comfy he looks.
Like others have said, he doesn’t seem to venture off his line much/far - although I suppose I’d rather he stayed put if he’s not sure than chased everything.
He’s got such a calming presence, maybe this added element of commanding his box will come as he develops.
And I love in last 5/10 mins when he flops on floor when he gets the ball in his hands. Quality keeper keeping another quality keeper out.

He still is developing as a goalkeeper but from what I've seen so far, he has barely put a foot wrong and he has got the shirt ahead of Simon Moore on merit. I had my reservations about Blackman when he first came in, mainly because he was a Chelsea reserve with a handful of games in the bottom division for Wycombe behind him, but he has proved to me that he is a very good goalkeeper and one with a huge amount of potential.

I'm expecting him to drop a bollock at some point, but every goalkeeper makes one at some point. In Kenny, Kelly and Tracey I've been fortunate so see some excellent goalkeepers play for the Blades and I've seen them all drop a bollock on more than one occasion. Nearly every goalkeeper does at one time or another. Doesn't make them a shit goalkeeper if they make the occasional fuck up.

Totally agree. You can see how he's improved too from day one, he's far more confident now and his kicking was great yesterday. One of them could have put Leon through on goal, hit him on the back of the head on the edge of the box.

He gets stuff when he comes for it, he doesn't panic, and if he let's a goal in its almost always the defenders letting him down, yesterday it was one of JOC or Stevens not quite alert to the goalscorer, nowt he could have done really.

He also knows the net better than a lot of other goalkeepers, he pulls his hand back if it's going wide, even if by centimetres, so we get goal kicks rather than conceding corners.

I wish we could afford him to be honest, he'd be the first bit of business in January for me. I'm living in fear of Chelsea having a goalie crisis and recalling him for their first team.

If he keeps up like this, Moore will have to hope we have a good cup run otherwise we won't see him.

I like Jamal really want him to be a success and so far he certainly is

My worry is he is very quiet and even though I think he's a better all round keeper than Moore I fear that when Wrights out the team lacks an organiser

This wasn't the case yesterday so I was worried about nothing

The team and the players in it are growing in a way I've not really seen since the basset days or the jags tongey and monty through the ranks days

im certainly looking at the team in a very analytical way as I'm a critical thinker and I'm always interested how teams will try and combat us

Yesterday reading were out and out hoof but second half (or some of it ) They got the ball down at the back and moved it fast and accurately and played round us

We defended well and held on but it worried me and I couldn't work out if we looked tired or it was tactical but that spell from them was the first time anyone really bettered us on the ball since Brentford
Having said that we created some good chances on the break and could have buried reading out of sight

So all good
it was definitely tired legs towards the end, we were just clearing it anywhere and when Clarke went through he never looked like scoring as his legs must have felt like lead ! Same with their goal, just fatigue had set in.

All in all it is outstanding but I suppose playing at such a high intensity and leaving everything out on the pitch every game, we are inevitably going to witness a tired performance, where we perhaps can't hit the levels we are currently at. One more big push against Leeds then we can maybe risk it and rest a few against QPR.

Oh and Blackmans class, definitely stays in for me !! But then again it's quite easy been a Blades keeper at the moment !!

Is it next week dad ?
Cant understand what this guy has to do to win some over ,usual nobheads on praise and grumble want him replaced ,Deaders only gave him a 7.5 ,is it simply we cant find owt else to mump about ? He is becoming a cult figure for me ,best since Kenny ,a great keeper and a calming figure ,for the players anyway.

I've every faith Wilder sees things as you do. We barely concede. We frustrate teams and force them to Hail Mary. Big Jam cleans up. His shirt is not under threat.

Blackman isn't our player.

That's the reason why there's a few calling for Moore back and inventing situations to make big Jamal to look bad.

His distribution yesterday was no problem whatsoever,

The goal was O'Connells fault letting it run across himself rather than twatting it away with his right.

Gerroffhisback

It’s confirmation bias imo.

He looks at ease in goal and people project that as not alert or lazy or something and project that into his play when he hasn’t really put a foot wrong while he’s been here for me.
Great loan signing for me and Moore faces a fight to get back in - especially as it’s only his 2nd season playing proper football

Totally agree.

Jamal has this slow, lazy looking, calm relaxed style but maybe that because he’s a giant, very tall and bulky.
I’ve never seen a goalie make catching crosses look so boringly easy.

He’s doing a good job so far, although he has weaknesses centred around communication and decision making/ coming off his line,
he’s still only young and has great potential. I like Moore but Jamal has the shirt and deserves to keep his place.

Seems pretty popular with the kop these days I'd say.

Go back a few games & he'd shyly run up to the net, head down, almost as if he didn't have the right to be there. Now, as he approaches the kop goal to dump his water bottle, etc down before the start of the 2nd half, he's greeted by rapturous applause & he claps back. The increase in confidence is lovely to see.

The odd critic phoning FH really doesn't represent anybody apart from themselves.

He’s absolutely quality and yesterday you could really see how much faith the back 3 have in him

He doesn’t come for crosses if he doesn’t think he’ll get the ball which I like. He prefers to leave that to the three big centre halves. Nothing wrong with that when all the defence know that

For me he was a 9 yesterday like all the team

9? Without making a save and making one punch? :D

I'm certainly not going to moan about him although I can't decide if he's very casual or just laid back.

What does surprise me a little on this thread though is the comments about crosses. If I had to nit pick one weakness it's his indecision and getting caught in no man's land. It happens a couple of times a game.

No biggy but surprised how many haven't noticed this.

Basham didn't track the far post man (watch his reaction when they score) and both Blackman and O'Connell were wrong footed, O'Connell at least making an attempt at the ball.
Basham?

It was O'Connell that caught ball watching and let the man get away behind him.

Just one of those things.

Basham?

It was O'Connell that caught ball watching and let the man get away behind him.

Just one of those things.

I thought it might not be, ‘scuse my lack of “game time”! O’Connell is the one in the middle who tries to clear it and it’s Stevens (thought it was #6) who didn’t track and holds his hands to his head.

Only criticism of Blackman of late is against Reading there were two or three times where the ball was coming into the box and he was hesitant to make a decision. He could either have come and claimed it or told the defender to hook it clear and the two of them were uncertain. Better to make your mind up early than wait. Moore would've been screaming what he wanted them to do. But look, he's a relatively inexperienced keeper who, sure he's on loan from Chelsea, in real terms has just stepped up two divisions from his loan at Wycombe last season. He's trained as a youth at a top club, but now he's learning to hack it in the second tier of professional football.

I'll be honest, I was panicking when we signed him. I thought having Moore out for the start of the season and getting in such an untested keeper could cost us. It hasn't. The only question about Blackman is whether a fit Moore will steal his shirt, and that's just the good competition every other player in our side is facing.

I thought it might not be, ‘scuse my lack of “game time”! O’Connell is the one in the middle who tries to clear it and it’s Stevens (thought it was #6) who didn’t track and holds his hands to his head.
It was still O'Connell's man.

Jack got drawn to the near post for no apparent reason leaving the space for the goal scorer to move into.

Stevens was wider out and was always behind the scorer with no chance of being first to the ball.

Just look at JOC trying to blame CCV for allowing the cross (which he had no chance of stopping) in order to ease his own conscience.

I also don't see how anyone can say Blackman should have done better. He had no chance, that's like saying Manone should have saved our second.

It was still O'Connell's man.

Jack got drawn to the near post for no apparent reason leaving the space for the goal scorer to move into.

Stevens was wider out and was always behind the scorer with no chance of being first to the ball.

Just look at JOC trying to blame CCV for allowing the cross (which he had no chance of stopping) in order to ease his own conscience.

I also don't see how anyone can say Blackman should have done better. He had no chance, that's like saying Manone should have saved our second.

I agree about Blackman but Stevens jogged back when he could see the run and his reaction showed that.

[QUOTthe Alfreton14Blade, post: 1489824, member: 12672"]Seems pretty popular with the kop these days I'd say.

Go back a few games & he'd shyly run up to the net, head down, almost as if he didn't have the right to be there. Now, as he approaches the kop goal to dump his water bottle, etc down before the start of the 2nd half, he's greeted by rapturous applause & he claps back. The increase in confidence is lovely to see.

The odd critic phoning FH really doesn't represent anybody apart from themselves.[/QUOTE]
He's the only keeper I remember who doesn't run towards his goal applauding the Kop when the teams come out. I'd put it down to superstition rather than shyness.

Back
Top Bottom