CONFIRMED John Brayford - Contract Mutually Terminated

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I think, and I stress think, that you are missing the point, having moved away from the point of my post.

Yes, wouldn't we all want a player with Championship class to whom United are paying a large wage to be playing or at least competing? Why do people think anything said about Brayford is an attack on him personally rather than an assessment of the position?

The point is that CW has identified him as the most obvious choice to release immediate funds for his wages budget either because he has players for his position or because he doesn't fancy him. In order to release those funds he has to sell him. At present Clough is the only one interested.

Imagine a scenario whereby CW has a striker lined up now, but needs the assurance that there are funds available for the wages. He is reliant on Clough making the move to buy Brayford and he is reliant on Brayford being uninjured and therefore being of use to Clough. CW can't put Brayford near a competitive game for fear of injury. (Why do players suddenly get withdrawn from a squad with a "niggly calf strain" when a transfer is imminent?). Clough can use this to his advantage against a rival team. At the moment, because of his supposed interest in Brayford, we can't play him and we are pissing away dead money. Now imagine negotiations get to 11.59 on deadline night and Clough says, we ain't buying, we can't afford a fee and we ain't taking him on loan unless you pay 80% of his wages. CW says, "Do one FLN". Result? We have wasted months not using him. We have still to pay him to June 30th 2018. He can just about walk away from January as he has no transfer fee value being out of contract in the summer. We have a demotivated player. It may be economically sensible to pay him up. After all being £250k down is better than £500k down AND we have no money to pay that strikers wage so that deal falls through.

The point is that I am not being illogical or spiteful. I am very logical in how I see the situation and the spitefulness (some may say cunning) is likely to come from Clough. The player is merely a pawn in this. I'm sure he'd like to play football, preferably to him at Burton. But the situation dictates that he can't.

If we can't sign someone without selling Brayford because we can't afford the wages then there's something very wrong going on at the club.

We've just had a £6/7 million windfall and will be nowhere near the FFP ceiling.

If we can't sign someone without selling Brayford because we can't afford the wages then there's something very wrong going on at the club.

We've just had a £6/7 million windfall and will be nowhere near the FFP ceiling.

So you would expect we can afford to sign all our targets and will do so.

Jackson Irvine didn't play yesterday as Burton have accepted a 2.5 million pound bid from Hull and he was at the KC finalising personal terms. This obviously puts a bit of cash in Cloughies coffers so I would expect a move for Brayford next week.

Jackson Irvine didn't play yesterday as Burton have accepted a 2.5 million pound bid from Hull and he was at the KC finalising personal terms. This obviously puts a bit of cash in Cloughies coffers so I would expect a move for Brayford next week.

On my brief view of Jackson Irvine I wouldn't have minded signing him.

Another season long loan...probably.

If it is another loan cloughies played us cause he knows how our chairman operates...

Brinkmanship it's called, he could have done a deal for brayford weeks ago.... why not, did he want a loan and we didn't..... Are we being played, if so we should put brayford back in the squad and keep him to cover and challenge, he's very versatile and it's a long season. Fuck cough off..

Hopefully that means we might actually sign a defender then - we leaving ourself short if we don't pick anyone else up imo.

Hopefully that means we might actually sign a defender then - we leaving ourself short if we don't pick anyone else up imo.

Carter-Vickers covers Basham in that position.

Wilder said last season he likes two for each position. Only department we'd be short in would be cover for JOC, which we don't really have.

Carter-Vickers covers Basham in that position.

Wilder said last season he likes two for each position. Only department we'd be short in would be cover for JOC, which we don't really have.

Currently we only have 4 players to cover the 3 positions.

Suspect that's why we have bid for Egan.

Currently we only have 4 players to cover the 3 positions.

Suspect that's why we have bid for Egan.

You're factoring in Stearman's injury. Fair enough.

If the worst were to happen and Wright got injured, Bash could move to the middle of the three with CCV at RCB. Freeman can also play RCB (last resort) with Baldock at RWB now he's close to fitness.

It'd be an unfathomable piece of shit luck for us to be left short with what we have at our disposal. Besides the aforementioned JOC issue, of course.

I'm hoping this means we have some incoming, theres no other reason to leave this till late we all knew it was gonna happen.

Confirmed, contract mutually terminated. I said about 20 pages ago (when folk were suggesting in preseason he was going to be involved again "like with Coutts and Freeman") that the main problem has been a combination of being desperate to sell and only having one willing buyer, who happens to know the club extremely well. Clough knew he was always going to win this one if he just held out – they can know pick him up for free after we've paid a chunk of his contract off. Not remotely surprised that this is how it's played out.

Not keen on that. He'll take a pay cut from what he was earning with us and he'll go somewhere for free. If he's taking the pay cut, we could've taken the fee; no matter what that might have been.

Bad business.

Back
Top Bottom