Pre-Season 17/18 Chesterfield v. Sheffield United - 18/07/17

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Oooh Get you! Keep your hair on you'll be getting an infraction. Point taken as I wasn't there and reliant on reports and photos. We'll see. Second season syndrome possibly beckons. I haven't forgotten his attitude when we first tried to sign him. Leopards and spots Foxy.

I'll infract myself for forgetting a smiley ;)

I think it's a little early to be writing him off, as I said last pre-season about him and Coutts - they'll both have a big part to play, but was told that Wilder would be shifting them on without a doubt and wasn't stupid :)

Let's hope I'm right again this year.

Chesterfield fans watching Brooks tonight must be absolutely GUTTED!

As for our team, I think we're looking in good shape. We weren't great tonight but most things are nicely in place.

I enjoyed seeing the switch to 2 attacking midfielders behind the striker, it's something I want to see and it worked a treat with Brooks running riot.

Coutts is looking good and so is Stevens. I also think Carruthers is having a productive pre season so far.

My concerns are the lack of pace and threat up front with Sharp and Clarke, and also leaving ourselves exposed on occasions when losing the ball, which is the sort of thing Championship sides will punish.

Fleck's having a strange pre season, he's well up to standard for the most part but has made a number of really sloppy mistakes in these last two games. He was lucky their lad missed the open net because that was a shocking mistake. Maybe we should sell him.

I didn't go but the reported lack of fitness of Freeman is concerning. He looked like he was struggling before Stockbridge and Malaga and now this report tends to show he is behind in fitness level. Not that I want to knock the lad or his agent but I feel he has come back with a billy big bollocks attitude and he needs to get down to some serious work.
In all fairness, if he came back believing his own hype and having a massive ego, I don't think Chris would have improved and extended his contract, probably would have chucked him out like he did Brayford

I wish Sky would piss off with "Brooks loan move was blocked when there was interest from the Premier League". It's not the first time I've heard that said either. I don't believe we recalled him just to see what offers we'd get. I know some feel that's the case but I just think Wilder wants to see if Brooks can make a more immediate impact than what he thought before the Toulan competition.
They didn't even have the brains to say ogrady played for us .
As for brooks, quality goal, but sky may aswell have put a for sale sign above brooks head, saying 50% off. Showing a quality goal, saying brooks loan was ended after interest from premier league, which makes it sound like he's for sale. When in fact it's a lie, wilder recalled him because he was impressed by him in toulan tournament

I think ur being sarcastic, if not the kid who believed his own ego, left us and now he can't even get a first team place in league two. But I think ur being sarcastic

Yes Matt. I'm being sarcastic. I think I'm up there with the most sarcastic cunts on here. Not claiming the title but a contender.
On a serious note I really believe Brooks will go all the way,and self belief,cockiness and arrogance are part of that. Dosen't make them unpleasant traits,just gives that player the edge on others with simillar talent.

Thought we lacked pace in the final third for the first half, def missed Duffy in that respect, and Carruthers not pacey enough to fill the gap, and was bandaged up at the end. Coutts Carruthers and Fleck combination not convincing at first, better when Fleck played deeper in the second half, with Brooksy and Lavery showing some pace. Stearman looked really composed on the ball, Stevens looked good bombing forward, and Thomas looked quick and hungry too. Think some of the lads showing the effects of Malaga, esp Freeman and Sharp.

Is Nathan thomas impressing anyone? does he looks like a stand out player, or just someone like Harry chapman.
Also how did reed look when he came on against us?

Not seen much of Thomas but I'm confident in saying that he's not as good as Brooks. Looking forward to seeing more of him though.

I'll also say that O'Grady is better than Hanson. He's an excellent signing for Chesterfield.

Is Nathan thomas impressing anyone? does he looks like a stand out player, or just someone like Harry chapman.
Also how did reed look when he came on against us?

I expect him to be used similarly to how Chapman was used last season. We'll look to bring him on towards the late stages of a game mostly to get at tiring defences or when we are just going for it. He won't get too many minutes though next season imo.

The usual chirpy yet grounded analysis from Wilder. Everything he says about Brooks is right. Keep working, listen to the senior pro's, don't take his foot off the pedal for a minute, all good, sensible mentoring from the Gaffer.....think Chris is putting a lot of this responsibility on the shoulders of Jake, JOC, Stearman, Billy etc, and if that doesn't work then Wilder will have a word with the lad. I doubt it'll be needed, but always good to make sure that a talented young 'un doesn't fuck things up from having a swollen ego. Good to know that all things being equal Brooks will be part of the first team set-up this season.........

Generally seems in good heart and pleased with the attitude of his players....roll on this season! UTMB!
Yes, but I wish he wouldn't keep adding a "Y" on to the end of every players name, "Couttsy", "Sharpy", "Flecky". Or I might have to call him "Wildery".

And who the hell was he on about when he said "Ants has taken a knock" - forgive my ignorance - but WTF is "Ants"?

Not seen much of Thomas but I'm confident in saying that he's not as good as Brooks. Looking forward to seeing more of him though.

I'll also say that O'Grady is better than Hanson. He's an excellent signing for Chesterfield.

Just tell me...why do you need to do that? Why do you need to take one of our new players and start comparing him with another like that? We saw both Brooks and Thomas for about 20 minutes or so tonight. Both looked good - Thomas was full of energy and running and had the bollocks to shoot at goal, which few before him had done. Brooks was simply outstanding. It's the way he moves around the pitch - he floats and glides with the ball. We are seeing an artist there.

But both will be good for us in different ways. No need to start drawing comparisons based on 20 minutes of action!

And then you compare O'Grady, who had a good game I grant you, with Hanson? Why? Why don't you compare O'Grady with Hooper or Rhodes at Wednesday if you want to put someone down?

Itching to have a bloody moan about something eh? Can't give a compliment without making a criticism of something. Typical bloody Sheffield mentality. FFS!

According to people on the Chessie forum, the KO was delayed not due to police advice but due to a printing error on the tickets! :D

That's correct. It said on the Chesterfield website that the kick off was going to be 7.30pm, but the printed tickets said 7.45pm.

Just tell me...why do you need to do that? Why do you need to take one of our new players and start comparing him with another like that? We saw both Brooks and Thomas for about 20 minutes or so tonight. Both looked good - Thomas was full of energy and running and had the bollocks to shoot at goal, which few before him had done. Brooks was simply outstanding. It's the way he moves around the pitch - he floats and glides with the ball. We are seeing an artist there.

But both will be good for us in different ways. No need to start drawing comparisons based on 20 minutes of action!

And then you compare O'Grady, who had a good game I grant you, with Hanson? Why? Why don't you compare O'Grady with Hooper or Rhodes at Wednesday if you want to put someone down?

Itching to have a bloody moan about something eh? Can't give a compliment without making a criticism of something. Typical bloody Sheffield mentality. FFS!

Just tell me what devastating impact posting such opinions/impressions will have? And read literally every other fucking post from me tonight before going off on one about me "moaning" (FFS indeed) and jumping to your usual stupid conclusions.

Brooks and Thomas are two players competing for a similar position in our team. It's worth comparing, granted there's little to go on so far.

Suggesting someone won't be as good as Brooks is hardly a criticism.

As for O'Grady/Hanson... both target men, one plays for them and one plays for us. Logical comparison. I was thinking that if we're to have a 'Plan B' target man then I'd prefer O'Grady. Just an opinion. Sorry if that upsets you. I'll run it by you next time before commenting.

Last edited:
Yes, but I wish he wouldn't keep adding a "Y" on to the end of every players name, "Couttsy", "Sharpy", "Flecky". Or I might have to call him "Wildery".

And who the hell was he on about when he said "Ants has taken a knock" - forgive my ignorance - but WTF is "Ants"?

"Hans" - Big James Hanson.

Did much better than at Stocksbridge in that he looked a threat. But needs to get his head up.

Moore 7
Freeman 4
Stearman 7
Basham 7
Oconnell 7
Stevens 7
Carruthers 4
Coutts 7
Fleck 5
Sharp 3
Clarke 3

subs

Wright 6
Lafferty 6
Lavery 7
Brooks 9
Thomas 7

Pint of Fox IPA in the Beer parlour 7

Reed? He's one of our own!!;) Played really well I'm told.

According to people on the Chessie forum, the KO was delayed not due to police advice but due to a printing error on the tickets! :D

It was originally advertised at 19:45 with some tickets saying 19:45 and some saying 19:30, then yesterday morning, they 'reminded' everyone kick off was 19:30.

Only to then delay kick off, until 19:45.

Reed? He's one of our own!!;) Played really well I'm told.
He was only on for a short while ,hardly noticed him to be honest ,'really well' is stretching it. Ogrady played well for them and the guy that hit the bar , think it was Mcourt. Maguires brother was OK ,they will do well I think.

It was originally advertised at 19:45 with some tickets saying 19:45 and some saying 19:30, then yesterday morning, they 'reminded' everyone kick off was 19:30.

Only to then delay kick off, until 19:45.
Coppers told us we had time for another drink at the Beer Parlour ,said it was due to the queues for Utd fans.

Coppers told us we had time for another drink at the Beer Parlour ,said it was due to the queues for Utd fans.

There were some for pay on the day and getting thru the turnstiles around the time they broke the news, but they weren't too large and had almost cleared by 7... Dunno if they then got larger again.

I didn't go but the reported lack of fitness of Freeman is concerning. He looked like he was struggling before Stockbridge and Malaga and now this report tends to show he is behind in fitness level. Not that I want to knock the lad or his agent but I feel he has come back with a billy big bollocks attitude and he needs to get down to some serious work.

Why, when someone looks a little off their performance do some have to come out with this shit?

Just think about it.....you have just had a great season, a season where for the first time you have played pretty much every minute of every game of the season. Not only that, you have played a wing back role which quite possibly means you run further than anyone else on the pitch. Add to that the intensity of training under Wilder, and the fact it had been that way for almost 10 months with hardly a break with the highs that ended the season to boot!
So forgive me if I'm being a little soft, but I think him and most the lads in a similar position who are starting back after a grand season a couple of months ago and are a little slow getting back up to speed, should be given a break FFS.

They might well be very well paid, but the physical toll is still there in the body. He probably took a month just to come down from the end of last season and was frankly in need of doing the square root of fuck all for a month to recover. It's bound to be hard to get back into it, and that goes for all of them. No billy big bollocks.....just how it is.

Did much better than at Stocksbridge in that he looked a threat. But needs to get his head up.

Can't argue with that. He did, however, seem to be one of few that were prepared to have a real run at them and have a go. For a youngish lad he didn't seem overawed and certainly has something about him - one to watch I'd say. He was overshadowed by Brooks' cameo but the pair of them gave us the impetus to stretch them apart for the last 20 mins. Certainly a different option that we don't really have in that he's very direct in his running.

Back
Top Bottom