Gazza

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

You mean R*****y M***h ? Not that special but, in any event, there should be a rule that his name is never, ever, mentioned on this forum except in the context of him being a total and utter scumbag.

Not only did he break Jim McAlister's leg but followed it up by taunting the Kop by waving the foot about he did it with and pointing to it.

A disgrace to his profession.

You've merged Jim Brown and Tom McAllister!

Tom was one of the best keepers I've seen at The Lane, and that moment probably cost us dearly.

UTB

Oh I don't know.
Narrowly losing a World Cup Semi Final is not too shabby.

On penalties wasn't it? Italia 90. Closest we've come to the World Cup since '66. Bet no fan thought we'd not make a semi final again for 28 years, at least. At the time, I remember everyone saying England were failures and calling for the manager (Bobby Ronson)'s head. Gazza had a great tournament but so did others.

On penalties wasn't it? Italia 90. Closest we've come to the World Cup since '66. Bet no fan thought we'd not make a semi final again for 28 years, at least. At the time, I remember everyone saying England were failures and calling for the manager (Bobby Ronson)'s head. Gazza had a great tournament but so did others.
Yep. Penalties. To Germany.
It wasn't everyone calling for Robsons head. Just the press and their sheep.

My word. Not a great era, then.

Since Gazza came on the scene, which England midfielder is better? Gerrard and Lampard performed at the top level for a very long time. Lampard was a great goalscorer too. But Paul Gascoigne offered us something totally different, he was such a raw talent. Other than Deli Alli, i don't think we've had anybody like Gazza since.

You mean R*****y M***h ? Not that special but, in any event, there should be a rule that his name is never, ever, mentioned on this forum except in the context of him being a total and utter scumbag.

Not only did he break Jim McAlister's leg but followed it up by taunting the Kop by waving the foot about he did it with and pointing to it.

A disgrace to his profession.
In his defence saw him on tv and he said we were a proper club , bigger than Wednesday in his opinion , so redeemed himself a bit

If Gascoigne's the best you've seen...you've seen very little.

Plenty as good worldwide. But English? He's up there. Lampard, Gerrard, Scholes and Beckham were all as good (arguably better?) but they were all a bit robotic and, well.... boring.

Gazza played with his heart and soul and with a big grin on his face. Even on the biggest stage, he looked like he was having a kickabout on the park. He might not have been amongst the 'best' in a measurable/techincal sense but he was the 'best to watch' of a generation. The same reason I always pick Messi over Ronaldo whenever the comparisons crop up.

Plenty as good worldwide. But English? He's up there. Lampard, Gerrard, Scholes and Beckham were all as good (arguably better?) but they were all a bit robotic and, well.... boring.

Gazza played with his heart and soul and with a big grin on his face. Even on the biggest stage, he looked like he was having a kickabout on the park. He might not have been amongst the 'best' in a measurable/techincal sense but he was the 'best to watch' of a generation. The same reason I always pick Messi over Ronaldo whenever the comparisons crop up.

You're forgetting that playing for "England" is hardly a quality mark. The laughably styled "Golden Generation" were routinely outplayed by foreigners with unpronounceable names who nobody had ever heard of. You say plenty "as good" worldwide. The reality is 'dozens better'.

When do we next buy the silly flags and car stickers and delude ourselves?

You're forgetting that playing for "England" is hardly a quality mark. The laughably styled "Golden Generation" were routinely outplayed by foreigners with unpronounceable names who nobody had ever heard of. You say plenty "as good" worldwide. The reality is 'dozens better'.

When do we next buy the silly flags and car stickers and delude ourselves?

The relative quality and delusion surrounding the England team isnt in question (at least not from me). I do believe though that Gazza, in his prime, could have commanded a start in any national side across the globe.

Best English midfielder I've seen? Certainly in the top 3

Best I've seen? Wouldn't get in the top 10, but I'm probably older than most posting that he's the best they've seen.

Why is it that quite a few British footballers who were any good were also serious fucking alecarts. To name a few off the top of my head: Greavesie, Best, Adams, Gazza, jinking Jimmy. I don't buy this argument that they were flawed genius', they let themselves, their families and their countries down and it's no surprise we never win owt at football.

Best I've seen? Wouldn't get in the top 10, but I'm probably older than most posting that he's the best they've seen.

After I'd written that, I then doubted myself on naming 10 midfielders I'd seen that were better than him, so I listed them:

In no order:

Cruyff
Maradona
Zico
Gullitt
Falcao
Zidane
Charlton
Socrates
Platini
Laudrup
Matthaus

Oooh dunno, straight off the top of my head can't put him above these: Charlton, Scholes, Robson. Widen it to UK midfielders and you've got the likes of Best & Giles to contend with. My old man used to tell me about Duncan Edwards and says he was the best of the lot without ever having the chance to reach anywhere near his potential.

Strange how they were all Man U players.

Oooh dunno, straight off the top of my head can't put him above these: Charlton, Scholes, Robson. Widen it to UK midfielders and you've got the likes of Best & Giles to contend with. My old man used to tell me about Duncan Edwards and says he was the best of the lot without ever having the chance to reach anywhere near his potential.

Strange how they were all Man U players.

My old man would put Duncan Edwards top of the pile as well. He also really rated Josef Masopust and Di Stefano, he's actually got a signed photo of Masopust in his Dukla Prague kit. Might be worth a quid or two!

Gazza played for Newcastle in a charity game yesterday, looked good and scored a 'wonder goal' apparently. Has something happened since then?

My old man doesn't particularly like football - he's a life long egg-chasing afficiando - but he saw Duncan Edwards play, and to this day reckons that even in his teens, Edwards was a remarkable talent.

Two league championships, semi final of the European Cup, and widely touted as the likely successor to Billy Wright as England captain - 151 games for Man Utd, and 18 England caps: all up, not a bad CV for a 21 year old.

There can be a tendency to aggrandise those that are taken too soon, but I suspect big Duncan was something special.

You've merged Jim Brown and Tom McAllister!

Tom was one of the best keepers I've seen at The Lane, and that moment probably cost us dearly.

UTB

It was late at night your honour and I was tired and emotional.

Got the total and utter scumbag bit right, though.

After I'd written that, I then doubted myself on naming 10 midfielders I'd seen that were better than him, so I listed them:

In no order:

Cruyff
Maradona
Zico
Gullitt
Falcao
Zidane
Charlton
Socrates
Platini
Laudrup
Matthaus
Bobby Moore (if you saw him) should be on that list.

He's an addict. ..I loved him as a footballer but as a man he's a coward. .beat his wife and can't fight his addiction. .had all the help in the world. .sadly I think he's a lost cause. .

Just walk a mile in a mans shoes before you throw rocks at him.

He could certainly play there, but rarely did. Majestic stepping into midfield with the ball from the back.

He started out as a midfielder and figured there in '66. He was the Jagielka of his era so I can't give him any more praise than that. Not as good in goal though. ;)

He started out as a midfielder and figured there in '66. He was the Jagielka of his era so I can't give him any more praise than that. Not as good in goal though. ;)

I'd really like that sweeper role to return. No finer sight than Der Kaiser striding forward with the ball. As kids in the 70s we were still expected to dislike Germans, but two of my favourite players were Beckenbaur and Gunter Netzer. Wore the number 10 shirt, blonde, sublime passer of the ball (remind you of anyone? ;) ) and when I was at school we wore this kit:

guenter-netzer-ist-die-fohlen-legende-schlechthin-.jpg

I'd really like that sweeper role to return. No finer sight than Der Kaiser striding forward with the ball. As kids in the 70s we were still expected to dislike Germans, but two of my favourite players were Beckenbaur and Gunter Netzer. Wore the number 10 shirt, blonde, sublime passer of the ball (remind you of anyone? ;) ) and when I was at school we wore this kit:

They also had a player called Kuntz, actually pronounced "cunts", but it was funny listening to the commentators trying to get around it. I think "Koonz" was the favoured mispronunciation.

Bobby Moore (if you saw him) should be on that list.

It's interesting to think that if Duncan Edwards had survived
Then Moore might have rarely played for England
And no doubt it would have been Edwards captaining England in 66.

Another factor pre 70's was players weren't as quick or as athletic as what they are now
So any player born with great genetics had a natural advantage over the other players.
The balls were much heavier, boots heavier, pitches heavy/ muddy so strength was a big factor.

Back
Top Bottom