What was your coldest United match that you have been to

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Wimbledon away when they played at Selhurst Park a few days before Peschi's shit header vs arsenal at old trafford

It was so cold I had 3 cups of bovril during the game nust to keep me warm

Not quite - they started well but missed a penalty when it was 0-0. Craig Maskell missed it at the Kop end.

We took the lead in an even game from a duffield pen: he scored a great second from 25 yards just after half time for 2-0. They battered us for 25 minutes and got one back but then May scored his own goal and they folded, and Deano and Bryson scored in the last 5 minutes.

A very odd game: we won 5-1 and yet it was a very even game.

Aye, that sounds about right. I conjured up my memories in the haze of an all-nighter on the Megabus so I'm excused a few inaccuracies.

I reckon May had a bet on United winning; it was the most un-pressured own goal I've ever seen.

A few off the top of my head.

Birmingham or Brighton at home sometime in the mid 80s.
Villa cup game 95/96
Sunderland away, Roker Park 95/96, day after my 18th birthday party
Derby away mid 2000s, a 2-0 defeat and a 1-0 win, both absolutely freezing
Stoke away 2004/05 season, but Stoke is always cold, probably my vote for the coldest ground I've been to
Crewe on a Friday night in the promotion season

And the most recent one I can remember from recent years. Preston at home in a cup replay a couple of seasons ago,

Aldershot (h) January mid week in the FA Cup in the late 70's.

0-0 draw.

Got a lift down with a mate from Leeds and his car broke down just past Hillsborough on the way home, just as it started snowing.

The AA eventually came out and delivered us to my mates house at the bottom of Dewsbury Road in Leeds, by which time there was about 6" of snow on the ground.

I then had to walk another 6 or 7 miles across Leeds to Farnley with the snow still falling. By the time I got home there must have been 10" on the ground.

Wasn't all bad news though, I'm pretty sure we won the replay ;)

Sunderland v Blades 26th December 1985 at Roker Park that wind off he sea was freezing. Sure it was with Shred tours stopped at Washington to a club with strippers comic and snap. We had decided to wear fancy dress only one guy took it seriously and turned up dressed as a women garter nylons wig make up the lot he was almost blue by the time the match was over. Cracking day out, only the match spoiled it lost 2-1 if I remember correctly

Yes, Derby away. Jesus it was freezing.. Baltic! I remember loads of Blades and Derby fans ending up slipping on their arses walking over a big bridge pre-match, myself included. I think that that match was actually a rearranged fixture, it had been rained off about an hour before kick off a few weeks previously. I'm sure Rob Page got a nasty injury that night too, could be wrong.

Newcastle away 24th November 1993, think it was a Wednesday night, freezing fog there and back. Car park sheet of ice went arse over tit, great take away chinese meal, good craic in pubs with Geordies, Hammered 4-0 ,as Bassett would have said lucky to get 0, kept in ground and had snowballs lobed at us Happy Days
and cheering every time clumps of snow fell off the roof of their stand on to the geordies..:)

Mansfield away 88/89
Villa home friendly on a Friday night 86 - why on earth did we arrange a friendly in December?
Crewe home 05/06
Barnsley at home on a Friday night In 01/02

Watford away in the mid 80's FA Cup tie for me.
It was freezing
I used to go and watch my Dad play football as a 3 or 4 year old on the bleak Lodge Moor pitch in rain wind and snow and I have never been as cold as I was at Watford that day

I used to go and watch my Dad play football as a 3 or 4 year old on the bleak Lodge Moor pitch in rain wind and snow and I have never been as cold as I was at Watford that day

Watching my son play at Rawmarsh St Josephs at Back Lane was the coldest for me

Fulham away in cup when Miller scored the winner. Boiler was bust.

Southampton away, 28th December 2005. I went with My Brother in Law (a saints fan) and sat in the wrong end. It was an evening match and it was absolutely baltic, I don't think I have ever been so cold. We did win one nil, I seem to remember we were going up and they were on the way down.

Other than that any game at Oldham, where it is always windy, cold and normally a crap match!

Southampton away in promotion season when we won 1-0 for me. Between Christmas and New Year. Worried all way down that it'd be called off. Had to jump up n down n sing to keep circulation going. Bovril and Shipperley goal helped but it was still freezing!

Edit - as above!

Another vote for the 2-0 defeat at Derby in early 2000s.

Was in Liverpool at the time and the journey across from there was atrocious. Snow, ice and accidents everywhere. On the way back I jumped on a train back to Sheffield and didn't pay a penny 1st class (probably too cold for the conductors to work!).

Portsmouth at the Lane about 1995, it was our first season back in the second division , after relegation. Pompey went 1 up and kept the lead till half time. The kop was open then with no sides, at the old Westfield corner, so the wind was just howling across. I had totally not dressed with enough layers and was at half time fearing a defeat, in the freezing weather. Then this guy about 50 says to me "that looks frozen"!? He didn't say frozen as most would, but as froz-en and been from S10, it took me about two or three seconds to understand it, but I felt embarrassed that I clearly had to think about it! It cheered me up a bit and then I noticed this Portsmouth fan in the upper tier of the then "Stones Bitter" end and he was dancing around, keeping warm and no doubt enjoying the Pompey performance up to that point. I remember thinking, you'll not be dancing at full time mate! We went onto win 4 - 1 I think with Andy Scott scoring a late 4th! Decent win though, despite the weather!

Another vote for the 2-0 defeat at Derby in early 2000s.

Was in Liverpool at the time and the journey across from there was atrocious. Snow, ice and accidents everywhere. On the way back I jumped on a train back to Sheffield and didn't pay a penny 1st class (probably too cold for the conductors to work!).

I went to that too. Wasn't the first game called off with them due to the weather? Then we lost the second when Izale Mcloed scored from memory?

I've got three. All long journeys down south. I am thinking I was probably not properly dressed for the occasion as I would be for home games (i.e. tend to leave the house and pop back in for warmer clothes if it's parky for trips to the home of football).

Away at Arse. Must have been 75/76 season as all I remember from the game is Chris Guthrie playing his worst game (and anyone who saw the great man will know how bad this must have been) and us losing 1-0 and being lucky to get NIL. Arsenal were in their "dull as shit" period (their entire history pre Wenger) and the two coaches of intrepid Blades froze to death on the clock end watching as bad a game as we see in the Third division.

Bristol Rovers away. The day Blades started lighting fires on the open end just to survive.

The Watford FA Cup tie. Had to sit in the car for over half an hour before my hands were warm enough to actually drive away.

Hodgyman Junior was with me as a boy at the very cold night in Scunthorpe, but he reckoned that the coldest he has been was at a mid-week televised game at Portsmouth. This was the game where Michael Brown scored the winner for us in the last minute. He said there was a -9 degree wind blowing from the English channel straight into the ground.

Hodgyman Junior was with me as a boy at the very cold night in Scunthorpe, but he reckoned that the coldest he has been was at a mid-week televised game at Portsmouth. This was the game where Michael Brown scored the winner for us in the last minute. He said there was a -9 degree wind blowing from the English channel straight into the ground.

Oh yes, that was a cold one that night at Portsmouth; cracking win though which fair warmed the cockles of all our hearts.

Colchester away last season was bloody freezing.......not helped by the fact that we left early as we were so cold (and it was a crap game) - so missed our winner and found a parking ticket on the car when we got back to it.

I think mine is probably the Crewe 0-0 in the promotion season. Garry Flitcroft had three goes at the same chance from a corner before eventually smashing wide into the Kop. He was awful.

I feel this is a thread for stories so, while perhaps not the coldest, my clearest memory of bad weather was April 2008. I was heading down Matilda St towards the Lane and was stopped by two Leicester fans asking directions. Suddenly there was a downpour of hail with the wind whipping the hail stones at least a foot up the bottom of buildings, and even though I legged it down Shoreham St it'd stopped by the time I found shelter by the John St turnstiles. I was soaked head to toe and was stopping out in town to go to a gig at the Leadmill after the match, so I ran back up to Division St to buy new jeans, socks and shoes. Got changed in the gents when I'd got back down to the Lane and missed the first five minutes. Soccerbase tells me I made it in time to see a Leicester red card and a quick-fire James Beattie hattrick though I don't remember anything about the game!

Me and my boy went to Forest away - think they had just come up from the 3rd tier (haha.....just where we are now) and think we played in January on a Tuesday evening.

Drew 1 -1 from memory, think Morgs scored............and it was bloody cold by 10 pm!

I distinctly remember seeing Wes Morgan playing at CH for Forest and thinking "what a fucking donkey".................and then he wins a Premiership winners medal with Leicester. Just goes to show if you work hard enough............

UTB

Was that the game where we were absolutely terrible and Morgs scored in the last minute?

I remember being so thoroughly pissed off at the performance/weather/day in general that I could barely raise myself to celebrate that goal.

Back
Top Bottom