You wanted a scapegoat - you got one.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Me personally I think he is a waste of money and a cart horse, looks overweight and no fitter than a Sunday league player. Now he could come good mid season and prove me wrong but I just don't see him being the striker we wanted, like I say that my opinion and other people will beg to differ but I think he's shit what I've seen.

Me personally I think he is a waste of money and a cart horse, looks overweight and no fitter than a Sunday league player. Now he could come good mid season and prove me wrong but I just don't see him being the striker we wanted, like I say that my opinion and other people will beg to differ but I think he's shit what I've seen.
I think you've every justification for that view, so far.....
However, I'm all for giving new blokes a fair crack of the whip before final judgement and hopefully Higdon will begin to justify the reason behind his purchase.
The doubt I have is I'm not sure that this'frame' of his can become mucher fitter, leaner, call it what you will.
And he has a strange style of running that doesn't sit naturally for a professional footballer.
I really want him to come good, but need a few signs different from yesterday's, that he can succeed in doing so.

Did I just see him hold up the ball and play people in leading to our goal? From postings on here I would have thought that feat was impossible for him!
No sorry mate, you were mistaken. Someone who'd watched him for 15 minutes knows much better than you.

And he has a strange style of running that doesn't sit naturally for a professional footballer.
It's called 'walking'.

I agree that a player shouldn't be written off completely after two (home) games, but aside from the goal I saw the same awful performance from him twice. How people praised his performance on the opening day and defend him now while still slagging off Porter I just don't understand.

Higdon and Basham look like a comedy double act at times.

The good news is that Murphy was poor for a year and Doyle for several before they became the first two names on the team sheet last season, so there is also hope for these two.

Higdon is never going to race onto a through ball leaving the back four in his wake, his game has to be based on holding the ball up and playing others in as well as being an aerial threat.
He needs to be aware of his teammates positions, show for the ball as an outlet for the midfield and use his body to shield and retain possession of the ball, before laying it off.
He was poor yesterday, so immobile I was surprised to see he wasn't covered in pigeon shit, but that could be down to fitness? What was more worrying was his touch, which shouldn't desert you, I'm prepared to give him time because I want him to succeed, but you cannot play the role that he is in, when your second touch is a tackle. :(

Just seen the FL Show and bizarrely Higdon was instrumental in the goal.

Clever video editing maybe?!?
Suppose by the end of the season he's scored 12 and been involved in 12 other goals at the Lane, making a total contribution of 2-3 seconds for each. Is that really worth carrying dead weight for 90 minutes every week?

Scored one and three assist's?
Is that right???

Well in the short time I've seen him He seems to know what to do with the ball and has awareness of other players that Porter can only dream of...yep, he needs to get 'up to speed', but I still think he'll be a 'big' player for us this season.

I still hope that he can rekindle his fitness and his touch but his control of the ball was hopeless yesterday. I heard a comment from a fellow supporter that seemed appropriate on yesterday's performance : " he couldn't trap a bag of cement".
His undoubted underlying problem is that he is not fit enough for first team football. Why not play him in all under 21 matches, give him double training stints etc until he is.

I can't remember another player polarising the supporters so completely in such a short time of being with the club.

I'm quite surprised at this after only 4 games,

His first touch was off yesterday. There's no denying that. He also made numerous flick ons which nobody ran on to so the crowd blamed him.

He is definitely gearing up to be the new scapegoat. NC has already said he's not fully fit and match sharp so why is everybody jumping on him after four games?

To be fair, he did very little holding up in the first half today, was well off his game.

You do certainly have a point with the nobody getting near him point though.

He won three headers in the first half and no-one was running off him.

Is this because the expectation of his team mates is so low that they don't expect him to even win the three headers?

First his job is to hold the ball up, now we're saying his team mates weren't running onto his flicked headers. Maybe that's because they thought his job was to hold the ball up?

A good target man (James Beattie for instance) has the ability to choose whether to head a ball on or to bring it down by judging the flight of the ball and using his body well. If there is no one running onto a flick, why bother? Create more space, and if you can't, flick it up so you can challenge it again to either bring it down or hope a team mate is in a better position by now. Aimlessly sending the ball onto the opposition back line is no use.

First his job is to hold the ball up, now we're saying his team mates weren't running onto his flicked headers. Maybe that's because they thought his job was to hold the ball up?

A good target man (James Beattie for instance) has the ability to choose whether to head a ball on or to bring it down by judging the flight of the ball and using his body well. If there is no one running onto a flick, why bother? Create more space, and if you can't, flick it up so you can challenge it again to either bring it down or hope a team mate is in a better position by now. Aimlessly sending the ball onto the opposition back line is no use.

Don't say that, for Pele's sake! 90% of our fans think that's exactly how the game should be played.

Gerritintbox!

An inconsistent performance definitely, I reckon about a 50% success rate in terms of holding the ball up, laying it off, etc. Not good enough yet, so its the catch 22 more game time to improve sharpens or early substitutions for someone like Porter or McNulty and risk affecting the players confidence? Dare I suggest patience is required at this early stage. I bet Michael Doyle is delighted a section of United fans have found someone else to vilify.

An inconsistent performance definitely, I reckon about a 50% success rate in terms of holding the ball up, laying it off, etc. Not good enough yet, so its the catch 22 more game time to improve sharpens or early substitutions for someone like Porter or McNulty and risk affecting the players confidence? Dare I suggest patience is required at this early stage. I bet Michael Doyle is delighted a section of United fans have found someone else to vilify.

50% you "reckon" ???

If that was anywhere near accurate, there would be no fuss at all.

It isn't, so there is !!

UTB

Michael Tonge
Paul Ifill
John Gannon
Stephen Quinn
Monty
Ships
Bobby Ford
Don't Hutchinson
Matt Hill
And even Stuart McCall before he'd even played at all!!

That's a brilliant list and totally blows to bits my argument regarding splitting the fan base after 4 games.

I stand corrected.

Don't say that, for Pele's sake! 90% of our fans think that's exactly how the game should be played.

Gerritintbox!

When of course it should really be played in the corners, where the object of the game is not to create any scoring chances.

Back
Top Bottom