Video on sky sports football app - our owner talking about Wilder's departure

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Thing with twitter is, it still needs that info pumped into it by someone. Lots of people get info from the club, our very own Richard Cadette was a legend around these parts, and a lot of the stuff seen on twitter over the last 18 months has been either proven true or certainly had some elements of truth to it.

When you strip away the comments and reaction, twitter can be quite enlightening.

yeah just block everyone putting comments and replying to tweets and its fine. :)

Let's suppose that CW did resign for a third time, and that he did ask for £4M severence.
PA would then rightly have told him that he wasn't entitled to anything.
CW, knowing at this point that PA has lost all confidence in him, might say "OK sack me then and pay me up".
PA might then say "I'll tell you what, I'll let you resign, I'll give you £1M (and think yourself lucky) but part of the deal is you sign an NDA".
CW gets a payoff and no relegation on his CV, PA gets rid of CW without having to pay up his contract.
Cue lots of haggling, which is maybe why it took the whole weekend to finally agree and announce something?

I think this is probably somewere near the truth.
It wouldn't surprise me if PA just said to Bettis to get shut of him, and try and get as good a severance deal for the club as is possible.

Better to cut ties than have him coming into Shirecliffe causing mischief.

Only in the crazy world of football contracts can you get a pay off for resigning.

I don't think the board were really against any of the signings Wilder wanted but just wanted a bigger list of signings to put us in a stronger negotiating position. Like the Prince said if you just have 1 target for 1 position and agents get wind of that then the club you are talking to start upping the price. PA thought we could and should have got the likes of Brewster much cheaper, a lot of us at the time thought we overpaid for him.

The board are in awkward position either way. Say no to Chris, upset him, don't get the player or get anyone else because he has not suggested another player. Say yes to Chris, overpay for the player but that then that leaves us with less money for other signings.
The Prince also lamented the lack of interest in outside the UK transfers yet the one window we went international he labelled as our worst! Convenient facts?

For goodness sake - do we have to keep adopting this binary option? Maybe people are intelligent enough to cope with complex and often conflicting situation without the need to wear badges? I’m just pleased that for the first time we have some information from a primary source that has some credibility. That doesn’t mean I accept everything that’s said as the ‘real truth’. Can I please be a past supporter of Chris Wilder who’s a bit disappointed in him but will get over it and thinks the Prince may be ok with his relaying of events that has some spin some truth and looking forward to the next period in our history? I know that would be bloody big badge to wear but at least it would be one I’d be happy with!
A nuanced view? Off with his head!

Why not? Whether he said it at the beginning or half way through, we'd have picked it out and debated it.
Personally many reasons in my opinion. Firstly he is the head of a football club in a league with the biggest global spotlight. I don't think it is a good look to be going on the attack and calling into question Wilder unless specifically asked that question. Secondly it begs the question why the need to do this, is it because he himself has been feeling the pressure/attacked and is defending himself. Is it because he himself is similar to Wilder in that he is never to blame and he is shifting the blame on to Wilder? Is it because he is hiding something? There are many ways to be deceitful other than outright lying; omitting valuable facts, prioritising certain stories over others, avoiding the question, and a very commonly used one embellishing (politicians are noted for many of these btw). His answer to the first question on the video contains at least one or two of the above, possibly more but as we don't know the truth we can only guess at some. His first answer contained many 'facts' that intended or not created a narrative that Wilder was not committed, was hard to work and deal with, was selfish, and that he is motivated by money, and I may have missed some. It seems this worked a treat as following the interview this board was littered with threads and themes such as 'Wilder is not one of us', 'Wilder is selfish and lacks fight', 'Wilder demanded 4million' etc..

Of course PA may prove to be telling the truth but there are many reasons to look at that interview beyond the words and be a little sceptical I would say. Of course Wilder is equally culpable but some seems to have had an alarming about face from this interview, and I would suggest this was the whole point of PA doing it.

Are we really outraged he wanted a pay off? He got us £200m plus in Premier league tv money. Not sure why people begrudge him that.
By all accounts he got a substantial better contract and an offer to buy a part of this club and the others United World own.

And then wants a years salary having delivered THE WORST season in the club's history. Fuck off.

'Yes David you've lost the firm £4million, of course if you resign we'll give you £40k the equivalent of a years salary'. Now how many times has that happened to managers in jobs up and down the country.

This quote got me

“Our recent game with Pompey reminded me of when we played them and they were struggling and sat in the car park i was listening to him bigging up the name on the radio and then proceeded to play the name and adopt a sterile mundane negative approach that had me spending most of the game looking at my footwear”

Rinse and repeat all season that particular favourite.

I think it's worth bearing in mind that English will not be the Prince's first language and however good his English is it's hard to be nuanced in a second language.

By all accounts he got a substantial better contract and an offer to buy a part of this club and the others United World own.

And then wants a years salary having delivered THE WORST season in the club's history. Fuck off.

'Yes David you've lost the firm £4million, of course if you resign we'll give you £40k the equivalent of a years salary'. Now how many times has that happened to managers in jobs up and down the country.
You think that Wilder has lost SUFC money?
Assuming what the Prince has said is true, why "And then wants a years salary having delivered THE WORST season in the club's history." and not "And then wants a years salary having delivered four of the best seasons in the club's history." ?
This is the attitude towards him that I don't understand.

Personally many reasons in my opinion. Firstly he is the head of a football club in a league with the biggest global spotlight. I don't think it is a good look to be going on the attack and calling into question Wilder unless specifically asked that question. Secondly it begs the question why the need to do this, is it because he himself has been feeling the pressure/attacked and is defending himself. Is it because he himself is similar to Wilder in that he is never to blame and he is shifting the blame on to Wilder? Is it because he is hiding something? There are many ways to be deceitful other than outright lying; omitting valuable facts, prioritising certain stories over others, avoiding the question, and a very commonly used one embellishing (politicians are noted for many of these btw). His answer to the first question on the video contains at least one or two of the above, possibly more but as we don't know the truth we can only guess at some. His first answer contained many 'facts' that intended or not created a narrative that Wilder was not committed, was hard to work and deal with, was selfish, and that he is motivated by money, and I may have missed some. It seems this worked a treat as following the interview this board was littered with threads and themes such as 'Wilder is not one of us', 'Wilder is selfish and lacks fight', 'Wilder demanded 4million' etc..

Of course PA may prove to be telling the truth but there are many reasons to look at that interview beyond the words and be a little sceptical I would say. Of course Wilder is equally culpable but some seems to have had an alarming about face from this interview, and I would suggest this was the whole point of PA doing it.
TLDR all, but maybe he was sick and tired of the digs CW has been dishing out in interviews and decided now he’s out of the club he’ll give some back?

The resignation and claim for £m’s is something that I don’t buy, if Wilder resigned then it gets announced as a resignation and he gets £0. That’s not what happened.
Maybe Wilder said the Board need to pay him or he will hang around when they know he doesn't want to be at the club. The Board would know that could cause more issues so a Compromise Agreement was drawn up.

You think that Wilder has lost SUFC money?
Assuming what the Prince has said is true, why "And then wants a years salary having delivered THE WORST season in the club's history." and not "And then wants a years salary having delivered four of the best seasons in the club's history." ?
This is the attitude towards him that I don't understand.
He was rewarded new contracts each year he did well so performance had already been acknowledged

TLDR all, but maybe he was sick and tired of the digs CW has been dishing out in interviews and decided now he’s out of the club he’ll give some back?

He did mention he was not happy at some of the digs he was giving the players in the interviews.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has any ounce of ability to read a person and let us know about PA's body language, speech etc. The way he talks at pace and reel off the story makes me feel he's being honest.

Bottom line though, Wilder had bought sh*t. Even his mother couldn't defend the amount of money being spent on some of the players this season. His walking out when the going got tough is also upsetting. If Alan Knill is still at the club then I'd consider that to be an indication that perhaps PA and the Club weren't being unreasonable to Wilder after all.

He was rewarded new contracts each year he did well so performance had already been acknowledged
That's not my point at all. I'm not talking about whether he should or shouldn't have asked for or received a pay-off, I'm talking about the way he is now viewed - and how his time with us is now viewed - by some of our fans.

Maybe Wilder said the Board need to pay him or he will hang around when they know he doesn't want to be at the club. The Board would know that could cause more issues so a Compromise Agreement was drawn up.
You’d think that Abdullah might have said as much if it was the case. He seemed willing to discuss other confidential matters.

You’d think that Abdullah might have said as much if it was the case. He seemed willing to discuss other confidential matters.

If you watch back when he is explaining the events upto that Friday leak of the news he does not comment any further after what happened with the 2nd meeting and the exchange of the two letters. It will have been some kind of compromise and if he did get a pay off it will be balanced against a length NDA I would imagine.

Whatever you think about the pay off we now know he was on about £83000 per week just over £4 million. Not many people get nearly a full years salary when they leave. He would have got 15 months salary if SUFC had sacked him so it was either that which PA said he didnt want to happen or he resigns and I wouldnt be surprised out of respect they ended up with some kind of pay off compromise and a resignation.

CW can now afford to take a year off and way up his options. No doubt he will be back somewhere.

If you watch back when he is explaining the events upto that Friday leak of the news he does not comment any further after what happened with the 2nd meeting and the exchange of the two letters. It will have been some kind of compromise and if he did get a pay off it will be balanced against a length NDA I would imagine.

Whatever you think about the pay off we now know he was on about £83000 per week just over £4 million. Not many people get nearly a full years salary when they leave. He would have got 15 months salary if SUFC had sacked him so it was either that which PA said he didnt want to happen or he resigns and I wouldnt be surprised out of respect they ended up with some kind of pay off compromise and a resignation.

CW can now afford to take a year off and way up his options. No doubt he will be back somewhere.
Where was the bit about him being on £4m? I genuinely must have missed it. He said that Wilder was on more than the highest paid player, who he said was more than £50k a week.

The £4m was the amount that he accused Wilder of asking for after he tendered his resignation the first or second time. In my opinion he used this to insinuate that Wilder was greedy and it’s worked because a lot of people are now quoting it as gospel.

Where was the bit about him being on £4m? I genuinely must have missed it. He said that Wilder was on more than the highest paid player, who he said was more than £50k a week.

The £4m was the amount that he accused Wilder of asking for after he tendered his resignation the first or second time. In my opinion he used this to insinuate that Wilder was greedy and it’s worked because a lot of people are now quoting it as gospel.
Did you watch the WHOLE interview?

Did you watch the WHOLE interview?
Yes, all 29 and a bit minutes of it.

If he said Wilder was on £4m a year I must have missed it. Happy to re-listen and skip to that but if someone can tell me where it gives the £83k a week or £4m a year salary.

What I heard was that he asked for £4m, it didn’t say that was 12 month’s salary, but I might be wrong as I was watching at work and doing other things.

If he said Wilder was on £4m a year I must have missed it. Happy to re-listen and skip to that but if someone can tell me where it gives the £83k a week or £4m a year salary.

What I heard was that he asked for £4m, it didn’t say that was 12 month’s salary, but I might be wrong as I was watching at work and doing other things.
Have a look back around 9: 45 in. The Prince when asked to pay £4m refuses and asks why should the club pay Wilder almost 1 years salary when they are not sacking him.
That says to me Chris was on more than £76k pw

Have a look back around 9: 45 in. The Prince when asked to pay £4m refuses and asks why should the club pay Wilder almost 1 years salary when they are not sacking him.
Must admit that I interpreted that as ‘around 1 years’ salary’ and might have been lost in translation. He referenced the £4m being either 15 or 18 months’ salary elsewhere in the interview from memory.

Must admit that I interpreted that as ‘around 1 years’ salary’ and might have been lost in translation. He referenced the £4m being either 15 or 18 months’ salary elsewhere in the interview from memory.
15 months salary if he sacked Wilder which he didn't want to do.
Which would have been at least a £5m pay off.

For what it’s worth (£4m anyone?) it seems to me the Prince is telling the truth as he sees it and I have no problem with that. He makes some very valid and is on the point. Of course he will have been well prepped for the interview but I like seeing it this way - with minimal edits I assume to get his side across than reading it in the papers and it getting twisted. At least he can get his side across and I don’t have any issues with what he says.
I also agree with others who say 2 sides to every story and sure Chris can also put up a convincing argument too, which I also have no problem with. The point is they differed on things which led to break up because they could not find agreement.
I think last seasons position of 9th meant Chris started to believe the hype a bit too much - understandable after all the praise he constantly got last season plus us fans elevated him to god-like status. The poor end to last season, the quick turnaround to this season, some poor expensive recruitment and the covid no fans all contributed to our poor start continuing and Chris not knowing how to turn it around becoming burnt out I think under the pressure of his teams decline. As the figurehead I can only imagine the pressure he put on himself and I imagine his silence is because he needs the rest and break ( of course watch me proved wrong as he signs for Celtic) but I expect him to bide his time for next club

Yes thats what I heard he said something like "why should I pay £4 million thats nearly 1 years salary and he is resigning" so I just rounded it up per week for say 4 weeks missing and say about £83k its probably more like £81k but whats a couple of thousand between friends. :)

To put it into perspect against what you get per month thats over £333.333 a month! I know other managers will get a lot more in the PL but that is £$$* crazy stupid money.

Its like winning the lottery every year or the Thunderball every two months guaranteed !

Back
Top Bottom