Video on sky sports football app - our owner talking about Wilder's departure

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Could well be mate. At the end of the day despite PA's standing in the world he is a human being like Wilder and the rest of us. We all react under pressure and stress/attack.
I’m guessing it’s the first time he’s had to deal with this. Before he got involved with us he was a relatively low profile businessman. For most of his time with us he’s avoided a lot of criticism and had a fair amount of support when he ousted KM. I’m sure he realised Wilder going would upset supporters but I don’t think he’d have imagined the level of vitriol aimed towards him over the last couple of weeks.
I think he’d have been better advised to ride it out, issue a statement about how disappointed he is that the relationship broke down and how committed he is to making us successful and left it at that. He can say what he wants but what will determine how Blades perceive him is how well we do in the future. We’ve got short memories really and if next season brings us promotion, we won’t be dwelling on CW much. They’ll always be a few, like people still go on about Warnock but the majority are capable of moving on. It’s a cliche but let the football do the talking.

I must have listened to a different interview cos it didn’t come across like that at all to me and I am a fence sitter at the moment
Possibly mate. I watched it looking beyond the words as such to look what is often called the process of the words rather than the content. On the surface I don't think you can argue that there was a calm and poised guy trying to be honest. However from another perspective I was looking at why is he choosing to answer in this way than all the other options, why is he divulging extra information not relevant to the question and why is he giving so much background to simple questions. In the first few minutes of that interview he brought in concepts such as ego, being difficult, wages and finances, all these created a narrative, intended or not. I don't think it was a good look to be honest. Wilder may have been very difficult to deal with but at this stage did it need to be said/implied.

I've finally got up to date! Thing is, I've forgotten what it was all about in the beginning.
Well there’s like Chris, yeah, and he’s like best mates with Knilly and then Kev brought his mate Abs along, yeah, and then they got well bust up wiv each other innit so Kev did one so Abs is, like, heading up the Shoreham posse but then Abs says Chris is well mardy, right, and my mate saw him take sumfink in a baggie out the back door and Chris ain’t saying nuffink so it must be true an now it’s all kickin off an I ain’t even bovvered....

Really Interesting and folks will believe what they like but my take away points;
  • £4m is the compensation allegedly asked for. Equivalent to one years salary. @chabs was seemingly on the money with CWs pay. He was competitively paid.
  • Wilder wanting to resign a number of times as thought we need a new voice fits with some stories around the Palace game and when he was overheard at the final whistle.
  • Acknowledgement that they had concerns over his recruitment at Premier league level.

• Chris resigning gave concerns that if we had a poor start next year he may look to leave again, so difficult to trust in him being committed long term.
  • Ramsdale and Brewster are the contentious signings, but he thinks they’ll be the “cornerstone” of our side next year but we needed players for this season not the future.
  • Players suggested by the board were discounted by CW and are now playing “very well”
  • One having a great season in Germany.
  • Recruitment again an issue. Club wanted more targets to be identified and from a wider market so they could negotiate. CW wanted his way and wasn’t open to that changing.
  • Limited number of targets made negotiations difficult.
Got to say, for a guy under huge attack from the fanbase on social media, he again comes across well.

Another point in there was the hint that Wilder might not be the man to lead us if/when we got back to the Premier League.

I think that's potentially going to be a telling indicator as to how things went down.

Once the NDA has expired and CW can tell his side of the story, will he just come out and tell it?

Or will it all be revealed in a book so he can get another few grand in the kitty?

Who knows, only time will tell.

It will definitely be in a book. Warnock did the same.

You're well within you rights to believe everything Abdullah says. I can see inconsistencies throughout that interview, he says one thing and then contradicts himself with his next sentence. I'll wait for the other side of the story before I throw Wilder under the bus like many seem to have done.

Lets say I`m giving him the benefit of the doubt as I have no evidence not to dispute what he says yet.

It does go to show you that stuff reported like £7m pay off, Leaking academy roof, PA not prepared to improve the Academy training ground are etc, according to PA false news so where did all that come from ?

Another point in there was the hint that Wilder might not be the man to lead us if/when we got back to the Premier League.
I think the Prince would have backed CW yo be the man to retain our position in the premiership if he were to demonstrate long term commitment and more importantly the ability to be more flexible with team choice and tactics.

I think the Prince would have backed CW yo be the man to retain our position in the premiership if he were to demonstrate long term commitment and more importantly the ability to be more flexible with team choice and tactics.

Yes, his words were along the lines of "I had questions in my mind ... will he be the best coach to lead us in the Premier League again if he doesn't change his recruitment policy"

Regardless, my point was rather was there a need for PA to begin his interview along these lines.....

Why not? Whether he said it at the beginning or half way through, we'd have picked it out and debated it.

Lets say I`m giving him the benefit of the doubt as I have no evidence not to dispute what he says yet.

It does go to show you that stuff reported like £7m pay off, Leaking academy roof, PA not prepared to improve the Academy training ground are etc, according to PA false news so where did all that come from ?
Twitter

Just listened to the full 29 minute interview and I must say I really can’t knock much of what the Prince has said at all.

I think that Chris was obviously under huge pressure, given our start to the season. Throw into the mix that he’s a fan and the continual highs of the last 4/5 years, I think it hit him very hard, which is totally understandable. He’s then felt that he needed to resign in December but was talked around.

Things obviously then came to a head around the new year. I suspect the board rescinded on any prior agreement for transfers, based on our awful position and this lead to Chris again being pissed off and feeling helpless. I can see both sides here. I can totally understand the board’s reasons for doing this, but I can also how it’d make Chris feel.

To add to that, the board has said that to ensure past mistakes aren’t made, a more collaborative transfer strategy is needed. I think this is a smart approach in the long term. Again, given the likely mental position Chris was in, given the season, plus his ego, this hasn’t landed well. It’s a huge shift for him - from fans in the ground adoring him, full control and getting results; to no fans, terrible results and the changes afoot to reshape things. Because of this, he’s felt backed into a corner and started to lash out - leaks to the press, comments in interview etc.

I suspect the board got fed up with his digs and the lack of flexibility and when speaking with him have become even firmer that change is needed. I genuinely believe they wanted him to stay and that they have the clubs long-term interests at heart. I think the pressure and Chris’ nature, combined with the timing of our awful run, has meant that none of this has landed well and that’s why he finally quit.

I think in typical Sheffield United fashion, the set of circumstances are unique. I am more hopeful about the future after watching the interview, of course this hinges on how any new manager can get things up and running, but I am comforted with how PA wants to operate and take the club forward.

Exactly that. I think both what Wilder was saying and what PA was saying are roughly true based on the last 12 months.

The board couldn't trust Wilder not to resign again, nor could give him full control on transfers based on recent windows thus couldn't commit to other demands he had. The digs was clearly a sign of Wilder trying to get himself sacked too.

Wilder couldn't go forward without certain commitments being met but I actually think he was using that as a get out because he was clearly under too much pressure due to how the season had been going.

So the Prince did not like the transfers, that's OK. Just recall that all transfers were approved by the Board and contracts negotiated by the Chief Exec. Seems to me both 'sides' are equally culpable for any transfer success or failure!

I don't think the board were really against any of the signings Wilder wanted but just wanted a bigger list of signings to put us in a stronger negotiating position. Like the Prince said if you just have 1 target for 1 position and agents get wind of that then the club you are talking to start upping the price. PA thought we could and should have got the likes of Brewster much cheaper, a lot of us at the time thought we overpaid for him.

The board are in awkward position either way. Say no to Chris, upset him, don't get the player or get anyone else because he has not suggested another player. Say yes to Chris, overpay for the player but that then that leaves us with less money for other signings.

I am only 6:30 seconds in to the interview and it does raise some interesting questions. I will say that I am on record as saying that Wilder needs to take some responsibility for this season, that goes without saying and that he looked like he had thrown the towel in. It is also important to remember that it is possible for two people in disagreement to BOTH be correct in their own ways. You will often find this in relationship counselling for instance, because each party has their own subjective experience and the truth is often in between both parties interpretations.

However, thus far at 6 minutes and 30 seconds I can already see some glaring elements to the Prince interview.

1) Very strange way to begin an interview by essentially saying he has worked with managers with huge ego's in the past? It is a strange way to begin I think because whether he meant it or not, there is an immediate association that he classes Wilder in this bracket. True or not, is it necessary? The Prince also uses what is referred to as 'Resume statement' in which he outlines his success and experience in working with managers (possible attempt consciously or unconsciously to sway people) and lay blame at Wilder's door. Non of this was part of the question asked btw.
2) Highlights his preferred way of working and running a club which is essentially a DoF structure, but says he let Wilder have his way due to current/past success at the time. This is interesting because it outlines his philosophy and preferred way of running a club. Raises some questions about his refutal of the accusations that Wilder was unhappy with what he perceived to be a move towards a DoF model. So we have an owner who acknowledges that this is the way he prefers to run a club, and that he avoided this early in the Wilder reign due to the current success Wilder was having. But then claims that Wilder was wrong in his fears about where this was heading? I would say this is the Prince being 'creative' as others have said in bringing in a DoF type model but not calling it that.
3) Mentions Chris being the highest paid employee ever. Why? Is that necessary? Also of course he is, football wages have risen year on year and it is 14 years since you were last in the Premier League, logic alone would suggest he would be the highest paid employee ever. Intended or not he is outlining a motive for Wilder that is based in financial means. Then adds to this that 'if the highest paid player is on 50k per week' then Chris was on substantially more than that. Strange figure to just 'pull from the hat' no? Rumours have suggested on this board for some time that this was around the figure of the highest earner. If it is indeed not just a wild figure from PA then he confirms that wages paid are an issue in attracting the best of the best.

This is just the first 6 and a half minutes but it is interesting to say the least. As others have mentioned you do not get to the levels that PA is at in life by not being a good PR person or to not know how to communicate. To me as others have indicated there is an element of possibility that Wilder has some grounds for constructive dismissal if he felt that he was being undermined in his ability to do his role effectively or that the conditions of his contract were being significantly changed. PA states that Wilder wanted to resign 3 times, but was this time one of them? We need to ask ourselves why is he answering in this way and look beyond the words to also look at what he is prioritising in his answers and what he is leaving out. I am not saying that PA is being dishonest but there are some questions around the version he is portraying.

Very good post.

It's very noticeable that the weekend in which Wilder left/was sacked/other (i.e. the stuff that we are all curious about) was not addressed properly in that interview.

If, as the Prince claims, Wilder resigned then it would have been announced as a resignation. The fact that it wasn't and was left to drag out, encourage speculation and leave the team without a manager and unprepared for the Leicester game tells me that there's a lot more to the story than what was revealed in that interview.

The font of fake news.

Thing with twitter is, it still needs that info pumped into it by someone. Lots of people get info from the club, our very own Richard Cadette was a legend around these parts, and a lot of the stuff seen on twitter over the last 18 months has been either proven true or certainly had some elements of truth to it.

When you strip away the comments and reaction, twitter can be quite enlightening.

Just listened to the full 29 minute interview and I must say I really can’t knock much of what the Prince has said at all.

I think that Chris was obviously under huge pressure, given our start to the season. Throw into the mix that he’s a fan and the continual highs of the last 4/5 years, I think it hit him very hard, which is totally understandable. He’s then felt that he needed to resign in December but was talked around.

Things obviously then came to a head around the new year. I suspect the board rescinded on any prior agreement for transfers, based on our awful position and this lead to Chris again being pissed off and feeling helpless. I can see both sides here. I can totally understand the board’s reasons for doing this, but I can also how it’d make Chris feel.

To add to that, the board has said that to ensure past mistakes aren’t made, a more collaborative transfer strategy is needed. I think this is a smart approach in the long term. Again, given the likely mental position Chris was in, given the season, plus his ego, this hasn’t landed well. It’s a huge shift for him - from fans in the ground adoring him, full control and getting results; to no fans, terrible results and the changes afoot to reshape things. Because of this, he’s felt backed into a corner and started to lash out - leaks to the press, comments in interview etc.

I suspect the board got fed up with his digs and the lack of flexibility and when speaking with him have become even firmer that change is needed. I genuinely believe they wanted him to stay and that they have the clubs long-term interests at heart. I think the pressure and Chris’ nature, combined with the timing of our awful run, has meant that none of this has landed well and that’s why he finally quit.

I think in typical Sheffield United fashion, the set of circumstances are unique. I am more hopeful about the future after watching the interview, of course this hinges on how any new manager can get things up and running, but I am comforted with how PA wants to operate and take the club forward.
That's a really great summary of how I feel too.

derekacorah your conspiracy theories are up there with the very best!

Are you a flat earther by any chance?

Asking for a friend.. 😂

I can just see the next time they meet him saying "I didn't actually blame you Chris, I just said it wasn't my fault"....... :rolleyes:

It's yesterdays news, move on.....👍

It will definitely be in a book. Warnock did the same.

All we need in the book is a chapter about a pissed-up Sean Bean bursting into Wilder's office playing hell that we're bottom of the table with 2 points and all he's bothered about is the training ground roof.

Reasonable interview in the circumstances and reasonable criticism of Wilder (despite his protestations that he wouldn't criticise Wilder).
He did actually seem to care, which is always a good start when it comes to the owner.
But none of it really matters if he doesn't get the big decisions right in the next few weeks.
The choice of manager will tell us a lot, as will the transfer business. If the next manager is just one of the cheap, usual suspects we'll know.

derekacorah your conspiracy theories are up there with the very best!

Are you a flat earther by any chance?

Asking for a friend.. 😂
How are they conspiracy theories? We’ve heard one side of the argument and people have jumped all over Wilder, changing history and his achievements in the process.

If his side of the story is ever released then we’ll have something to compare what Abdullah has said against.

The fact that people are willing to jump on this interview and get all frothy at Wilder amazes me.

So the Prince did not like the transfers, that's OK. Just recall that all transfers were approved by the Board and contracts negotiated by the Chief Exec. Seems to me both 'sides' are equally culpable for any transfer success or failure!
Do transfers happen like that? Genuine question, because I don't know the answer. But I'd assume it'd be inefficient for the board to sign-off every single transfer (especially when many of ours are dotted around the World).

I'd have thought that the board agree a budget for the year/window and then it's down to the CEO to oversee it on their behalf. Then at each board meeting it gets reported back and they discuss anything.

How are they conspiracy theories? We’ve heard one side of the argument and people have jumped all over Wilder, changing history and his achievements in the process.

If his side of the story is ever released then we’ll have something to compare what Abdullah has said against.

The fact that people are willing to jump on this interview and get all frothy at Wilder amazes me.
1) Because if it wasn't true then PA would be up for a libel case, and end up owing Wilder a hefty sum (based on damages to Chris's projected future earnings)

2) Look at how much leeway Chris was given on results vs any other manager in the world

I really think your clutching at straws here buddy, let's not pretend Wilder was the messiah everyone thought he was

When it comes to downing tools when CW doesn't get his own way, well let's just say he has form in that regard (Just ask the Oxford fans!)

1) Because if it wasn't true then PA would be up for a libel case, and end up owing Wilder a hefty sum (based on damages to Chris's projected future earnings)

2) Look at how much leeway Chris was given on results vs any other manager in the world

I really think your clutching at straws here buddy, let's not pretend Wilder was the messiah everyone thought he was

When it comes to downing tools when CW doesn't get his own way, well let's just say he has form in that regard (Just ask the Oxford fans!)
The thing is, I’ve said that Wilder deserved criticism for the things he was criticised for (poor results and poor signings).

To then come out and say he wasn’t criticising or getting involved is disingenuous in my view because he clearly criticised him in these meetings and then again on the interview yesterday.

The resignation and claim for £m’s is something that I don’t buy, if Wilder resigned then it gets announced as a resignation and he gets £0. That’s not what happened.

Let's suppose that CW did resign for a third time, and that he did ask for £4M severence.
PA would then rightly have told him that he wasn't entitled to anything.
CW, knowing at this point that PA has lost all confidence in him, might say "OK sack me then and pay me up".
PA might then say "I'll tell you what, I'll let you resign, I'll give you £1M (and think yourself lucky) but part of the deal is you sign an NDA".
CW gets a payoff and no relegation on his CV, PA gets rid of CW without having to pay up his contract.
Cue lots of haggling, which is maybe why it took the whole weekend to finally agree and announce something?

I was going to mention the way he left Oxford. We thought that wouldn't happen to us but it is quite similar.

Back
Top Bottom