Video on sky sports football app - our owner talking about Wilder's departure

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Except McCabe wasn't trying to screw the Prince with an underhand move that went against the spirit of the contract he'd signed. He tried to force his hand in the belief that he couldn't afford it. That's not underhand or screwing him, that's triggering the clause that both had agreed to. If I remember the timing correctly it was before promotion looked anything like probable and the Prince got lucky, having done something underhand to prolong the point of having to stump up until the money was in the club.
McCabe miscalculated. I would go so far as to say stupid. That doesn't change what the Prince did - sort of forgotten because he "won". My point in all this is to counter the readiness with which

everything the Prince has just said as open, honest, genuine, throwing light on it, etc. etc.
I listed a few of the things that didn't seem to stack up for me. Could it be that it isn't all the straight forward truth some want it to be?

Mcabe of cause trued to screw the Prince mccabe ill tell you now wouldn't have given any sort of money for transfers

The post above is the real world. I too had a very successful 4 years with a Big 4 Professional Services firm. I set up new operations in London and Dusseldorf and began with a third in Washington DC.

I am far from being in the first flush of youth, and one week in 4 in DC with grandchildren and an increasingly ailing mother was more than I could have coped with - so I went to my Directors and said that I would need to leave so that they could get somebody more able to work around the job demands.

They then suggested that I leave - but that I appoint a successor first and that I agree to 30 days a year consultancy to support the new guy. Turned out to be win-win, like most negotiations can, if both sides leave their egos at the door. I. got to leave - but my consultancy reduced the level of downsizing required to pay the bills.

If you read the recent article in The Athletic about managers’ mental health it is clear over the last few months that Chris needed a break. He needed advice to step away for a few months - having been assured and accepted what plans would be in place for next season’s assault.

The problem that you get in many walks of life is that with highly successful, driven people winning at everything is all-important and compromising is losing.

We have benefited enormously, riding on a wave of Chris’s passion and drive. He is financially secure through contracts and whatever settlement was finally agreed. He will get another club and/or become another media darling.

These have been the best years of my 50 years next month of going to Bramall Lane. I can only thank Chris and hope that he gets the high octane future that he deserves.

As ever - Magic can Work in Unusual Ways.
I get what you're saying but your circumstances appear to have been somewhat different.

What I fully agree with are your comments about Chris's mental health, and indeed I have raised the same issues in posts myself at least twice in the last week or so.

Nothing is ever black and white and having been in a similar position myself, leading to a diagnosis of Chronic fatigue syndrome, I am well aware of the mental health issues arising as a result of pressures at work, fuelled by the unrealistic and under resourced expectations of other more senior managers that are only interested in the size of their bonus.

I knew that my only salvation was to leave, which I did, but I can just imagine the response if I had asked them to pay me to go.

It is obvious to me that Chris needs a break, and I said as much, but I also said that in a perfect scenario he would be back for for the start of next season feeling refreshed and ready to go.

Unfortunately it appears that it is not to be, so in August we will be under a new manager for the 50th anniversary of my first visit to BDTBL.

;)

The point is Wilder had the final decision therefore had full control on who was signed. Many scouts make recommendations of players who arent signed.
Whatever the set up, whatever the club. I think one person usually has the final say. And that’s normally the manager. Clubs also sign players for the development teams. But so were we in Coulibaly.

I did not say you mentioned anything about an NDA.
However, you did say that CW would obviously not be able to respond the these quite personal accusations.
Why can’t he?
I am sure he has more important things to do.
The club certainly needs to move on.
The truth is that he can’t respond or he would libel the Prince with all the problems that would bring to his door.
There’s only one person telling the truth about the last 4 months and he gave an interview to Sky TV this morning.

The Biggs interview on Talk Sport this morning was a painful and embarrassing listen I must say, I thought he came out with a complete load of crap tbh
He sounded like CW personal agent when he should have talked with impartiality and a balanced view from someone who knows so much about the club

But you are coming over VERY anti prince !
Yes, I know. It's difficult to make my point - multiple times as it is challenged and debated - without coming over as anti-Prince, which is why I said that. I don't trust him in the same way as I didn't trust McCabe, or any previous owners. They may all think they are doing right for the club, but I don't trust that their right is my right. Right for the club could mean moving to a soulless bowl in Rotherham. I would never agree. For all McCabe's faults, I knew he would never do that. But I didn't trust him not to screw the club in other ways.
If we go back further, there are no end of horror stories. Yet here we are, with a growing section of the fanbase prepared to take everything he says as gospel truth, even though there is likely another side to the story that we haven't heard - and might never hear.

It is obvious to me that Chris needs a break, and I said as much, but I also said that in a perfect scenario he would be back for for the start of next season feeling refreshed and ready to go.

Unfortunately it appears that it is not to be so in August we will be under a new manager for the 50th anniversary of my first visit to BDTBL.

;)

its more than just needed a break and the recruitment is a key they didnt see eye to eye on 2 or 3 issues. PA in the interview said he wanted to look at players outside of the UK but Chris wanted them from "one market" meaning just players in English. So the players Chris put forward were only from the English leagues and only 1 or 2 but PA wanted to be more flexible and look at 5 or 6 players from other markets. Also PA wanted Chris to select players to fix issues now not buy players for the future and it didnt happen. Its like he said he normally doesnt allow the coach/manager to have full autonomy over player recruitment but he gave CW this because of his previous success and he feels let down because the money that was allowed to be spent in his eyes were poor choices the choices he was presenting to the board was 1 or 2 so only limited options. PA wanted 5,6,7 choices. Listen from about 17:50 onwards of the full interview.

It could actually do with someone going through the whole interview and quoting the important parts that we on this board keep discussing.

eg the January loan signings are discussed at 19:13

also 21:10 discusses about which players to bring in and states we have trouble scoring etc.

Last edited:
ive been a big supporter of chris for the last 5 years but something just hasnt been right in the last year hes just seemed a different person and its a bit sad really that its ended like this and i will never understand why he hasnt tried a different system anything to try and turn things round but no one man is bigger than the club end of an era but we begin a new one in august

Sharp's interview after the Leicester game struck me. Yes he was emotional and the interview may have been edited But when given an opportunity to put on record his appreciation of CW, he just said we had some good memories. As I say, it may have been edited but not exactly glowing praise from the club captain
Billy was clearly gutted in that interview. I read the complete opposite into what he said. It just shows how your view on the situation can make you construe the same interview very differently.

ive been a big supporter of chris for the last 5 years but something just hasnt been right in the last year hes just seemed a different person and its a bit sad really that its ended like this and i will never understand why he hasnt tried a different system anything to try and turn things round but no one man is bigger than the club end of an era but we begin a new one in august
Probably his boss hammering his transfer dealings.

I listened to the interview, but I'm not sure where you got the impression PA was lying from?

I've loved CW's time at the Lane. It will never be forgotten

However, one thing that sits a little uncomfortable with me, if it is correct of course, is that I cannot understand how CW can be on £80k/week, resign and then demand £4m pay off. If this is a sacking, then that is different, but as PA says he has resigned, then that can't be right surely?
Didn’t say he was lying. You’ve misread it.

Didn’t Halifax go bust while he was there? They certainly had a lot of issues.

Jordan has a right to his opinion and I don’t entirely disagree with some of his points but they’re not facts.
Yeah but the issues at Northampton and Halifax didn't happen in the Premier League ergo they didn't happen.

4 million a year wow, then comments about us balking @ jokanvic at 2 million in the press
Where have we balked at £2m for Jokanovic? The press said it would cost us £2m and that would make him the highest paid manager in the Championship, nowhere at all has it evenly remotely been suggested we have balked at such a price tag, that's just made up.

If Wilder was repeatedly offering his resignation then I'm not sure what else the board could have done other than offer unqualified support which in the end wasn't enough. He is one of our own but wanted out and if prince to be believed he was digging a tunnel from his office and emptying soil out of his tracky bottoms onto the pitch! He has gone, we'll shortly see the ambition of the prince, appreciate the season is gone and most just want it to end but partisan support for anything other than the club is just shouting at clouds. If we're shit next season because of bad decisions and lack of funds then I'll happily slag the prince but it won't justify some of the bile being thrown about at the moment at the board and prince for providing the club's version of events.

You're happy that Chris Wilder's supporters might be proved to be wrong?
For goodness sake - do we have to keep adopting this binary option? Maybe people are intelligent enough to cope with complex and often conflicting situation without the need to wear badges? I’m just pleased that for the first time we have some information from a primary source that has some credibility. That doesn’t mean I accept everything that’s said as the ‘real truth’. Can I please be a past supporter of Chris Wilder who’s a bit disappointed in him but will get over it and thinks the Prince may be ok with his relaying of events that has some spin some truth and looking forward to the next period in our history? I know that would be bloody big badge to wear but at least it would be one I’d be happy with!

For goodness sake - do we have to keep adopting this binary option? Maybe people are intelligent enough to cope with complex and often conflicting situation without the need to wear badges? I’m just pleased that for the first time we have some information from a primary source that has some credibility. That doesn’t mean I accept everything that’s said as the ‘real truth’. Can I please be a past supporter of Chris Wilder who’s a bit disappointed in him but will get over it and thinks the Prince may be ok with his relaying of events that has some spin some truth and looking forward to the next period in our history? I know that would be bloody big badge to wear but at least it would be one I’d be happy with!

Exactly how I and no doubt many others feel. We don't have to plant a flag on one side or the other. It's never that simple.

As I've said on here and previously, my dislike for Neil Warnock comes from his words and actions in his final couple of years with us. But I backed him as much as Wilder up to that point.

I recall us losing 1-0 away to Grimsby in (I think) early 2002. From the back of the away end there chants of 'Warnock Out' and 'Going down etc. Before long there was a full blown fist fight, Blade vs Blade.

To put this in context, Warnock at that point had taken us from getting soundly beaten by Port fucking Vale in front of 8,000 fans at Bramall Lane and heading towards certain relegation, to a respectable finish in his first season, to a transitional season in his second and making slow but sure progress.

That's the mentality of a large, nasty and gobby section of the support. They'll always assume the worst of somebody and can't wait to stick the boot in when setbacks occur.
I don't think United supporters are unique in the matter. I think you can apply what you've said there and in your previous posts to the majority of English football fans. Some of us are just a bit thick

So, to sum up it sounds like:

The board were not willing to pay PL wages for the likes of Barkley
Potential PL-players from overseas were not fancied by CW
We ended up signing potential from Championship, which failed
PA was p1ssed off with this approach
PA thought CW was passing the blame onto the board and didnt like the public criticism
PA lost confidence in CW's long term commitment, given the attempted resignations.

Two sides to every story though. Not sure when/if will hear CW's side, which I would imagine differs quite a bit!

Back
Top Bottom