Realistic targets for next season.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Surprisingly seems to be out of contract ?

Think they had an option to extend his contract for another year in May, not sure if this is triggered or not (assume it was). Seems to want first team football. Actually did look quite good in the games he started for Brighton towards the end of the season including vs. Haaland.

Now the Dutch defender has outlined his hopes to break into Brighton's team next season. Van Hecke has ruled out the possibility of another loan deal with a decision over his long-term future set to come this summer.

“Waiting another season will be difficult,” he told Voetbal International, via Soccer Nieuws. “Ideally, I will become a regular at Brighton. My option will be exercised in May.

"Then I’ll be fixed for another year. Last summer they already wanted to break open my contract. Then we didn’t come to an agreement.

“For other clubs, it is now also becoming interesting, because I will be relatively cheap to take over. It will probably be another transfer window in which I am glued to the phone.

"Renting (being loaned out) out is out of the question. That has happened twice, but then you are just acclimatised and you have to leave again. I’m done with that.”

Gotcha - so it’s under 23 AND overseas, that’s the bit I was missing.

I know naff all about Chair (other than seeing him on telly once or twice) - although signing attacking midfielders from QPR when we get promoted to the PL could be a new tradition?
Really good player is he on a free ? or can we get him within budget.

The realistic targets blades need to get onboard are the the same referees the owls have managed to grease their way to the championship assuming the cartel of refs are going to rule in premier league.
Those same refs who cant count 6 minutes and let the clock tick a full 2 + mins beyond the official timekeepers.
And also those refs who turn blind eye to a clear penalty and send a player off without double checking the playback just to make sure decision is correct when it clearly wasnt.
It all stinks in my opinion and a poor decision with what is at stake should be appealable. The ref and Var both failed and every barnslay supporter in wembley should have their ticket and travel costs reimbursed and deduct it from the refs wages for next 10 years.

I would hope that our scouts have been patrolling French Ligue 1, + Belgium and Holland.

You'd we NEED pace and lots of it.

a LCB version of Anel is a must. Robinson a decent understudy
a CB to challenge Egan
an athletic box-to-box type midfielder - Doucoure, Ndidi, Kante style that run for hours
a PL standard GK. Wes as undertsudy
a pacy striker - Archer, Joao Pedro, Dennis etc.
a target man - Calvert-Lewin, Goyokeres
Get Doyle back permanent.
McAtee back as a loan if they won't sell
if we're being greedy, a playmaker to help Ndiaye with the burden - a Gibbs-White type
Pedro signed for Brighton

van Hecke would be a good signing as would Barnsley's Anderson.
Would love Lutons Lockyer but doubt we'd get him now.

I’m pretty sure Van Hecke won Blackburns player of the year in 2021/22 season. Seems a prospect & someone who we should look into bringing him to the club this summer.

I’m pretty sure Van Hecke won Blackburns player of the year in 2021/22 season. Seems a prospect & someone who we should look into bringing him to the club this summer.
He was on loan from Brighton but has seemingly been treading water since then and has stipulated that he wants to play regular football, at least that is why he says he has run his contract down

EFL players I’d look at as follows.

Obviously I’d love players like Gyokores at the lane but think he’d be too expensive so realistically for a fee -

Joel Piroe Swansea
Josh Sargent Norwich
Gus Hamer Coventry
Ross Stewart Sunderland
Ismailia Sarr Watford
Alex Scott Bristol City
Tyrese Campbell Stoke
Ilias Chair QPR
Mike Cooper Plymouth
Ronnie Edwards Peterborough
Mads Andersen Barnsley

Some good free transfers too like Ryan Manning we could look at that I think would slot in to our system nicely.

Of course there will be loans/frees and the foreign market to look at too.

Last edited:
EFL players I’d look at as follows.

Obviously I’d love players like Gyokores at the lane but think he’d be too expensive so realistically for a fee -

players

The vast majority of players you listed will not be that much cheaper, if cheaper at all, than Gyokeres

Manning and OBrien would be perfect replacements for Osborn and Fleck - both could then be moved on

And those two signings would likely stick around if relegated

Van Hecke would make a lot of sense as a starter at LCB, cover everywhere else in defence and also a pre-emptive replacement for Anel if relegated

I’d love Ross Stewart and I think his contract is almost up. Obviously his fitness is a worry. I think Piroe is an excellent player ( similar career stats to Gyokeres) but not too sure if his style of play is a fit for us.

Keeping this quoted alot "said player has no resale" Wtf?? Why does every player we sign need to have a good future value?

We need at least 7 players so why do they need to be all young with potential sales?

Bizarre for a team like Sheffield United.

Last edited:
Players with no apparent resale value can save you fortunes and make you fortunes

Norwood hardly had much resale value when we signed him. And what about Billy?!

If a player gives you 3 good seasons you don't need to worry about resale value unless he cost big money

Players with no apparent resale value can save you fortunes and make you fortunes

Norwood hardly had much resale value when we signed him. And what about Billy?!

If a player gives you 3 good seasons you don't need to worry about resale value unless he cost big money
Exactly. I think alot of Blades are hoping for 7-10 new players like the Bogle/Berge/Anel type.

Things starting to ramp up? Gone from nothing to being linked with 3 new players today.

Trafford
Holgate
Traore

Keeping this quoted alot "said player has no resale" Wtf?? Why does every player we sign need to have a good future value?

We need at least 7 players so why do they need to be all young with potential sales?

Bizarre for a team like Sheffield United.
It’s a business players are assets and have value on income expenditure and cash flow

It’s a business players are assets and have value on income expenditure and cash flow

True. In an ideal world every signing we would make would be young, have exceptional ability, and each have great potential for a large resale value. But....they don't all need to have a good resale value.

Generally speaking players who won't have this (i.e. as much potential) will be cheaper to obtain as you aren't paying for potential as a buying club. Sometimes you just need to bring in players who can do the job here and now and the resale value isnt that necessary as you are paying for their services for the next 3 years or so and if they are worth owt at the end of it then that's a bonus. Their performances for us whilst under contract could pay our initial investment back in them tenfold by the time their contract with us ends.

Ideally we get more of the players with RoI but its not vital that every player we bring in comes with it. Stuart McCall and Gordon Cowan's (free transfers admittedly, but we will have invested club funds in probably not insubstantial wages and bonuses) are examples of players who came in to do a specific job for us. We didn't bring them in for what we could flog em for in the future, we brought them in to help us win matches for the forthcoming season.

I think most are in agreement we need at least 5 players to come into the 11? I'm happy with the 6 below as things stand.

Wes
Baldock
Anel
Egan
Berge
Ndiaye
Agree, if Holgate comes that fills a position, least it's better than Keane!🙄
Maupay could be available or Archer
Doyle mf
O'Brien mf
Need midfielders who can commit defenders like McAtee did, brought a whole new /more positive approach
The target for the club is survival, whatever🤞

With us needing a few signings can we expect a Jags like type signing? Vastly experienced in the PL on a 1 year deal. (Not huge wages)

If we did my pick would be Jonny Evans, captain material and can cover the back line.

With us needing a few signings can we expect a Jags like type signing? Vastly experienced in the PL on a 1 year deal. (Not huge wages)

If we did my pick would be Jonny Evans, captain material and can cover the back line.
Really bad injury record the past couple of years unfortunately. Great player on his day. Recall him coming back into the Leicester side back end of the season and he looked half decent but had to go off again with another calf strain.
Wouldn’t be the worst move in the world though.

Not sure we need it this time. Before, we had very little PL experience in the squad. This time we have significantly more.

If Star is correct, it appears most of our recruitment this year, will come from abroad. I would expect, Doyle, maybe Holgate, as Prem loans. So sit tight, enjoy the ride, or not!!!!!!!

Beating Derby's points tally is more realistic if noises out of club are anything to go by....
Yes I agree ..and it might surprise that it doesn't give me any pleasure at all ..I like SUFC

I don't get the love for the scuff bag " Prince " at all ..he's been so incredibly lucky with Paul Higginbotham..if not for him , United would be lucky to still be in the Championship after points deductions and god knows what else ..and now realising his luck Sheff Utd are in the Premier league again , is holding out for some ridiculous offer to make him rich ..finally ,you think he loves your club ? ..dream on .. honestly

Yes .. mock a true Utd supporter like McCabe ..for all his shortcomings..at least he could find Sheffield on a map and was a sincere true fan of the club

If a sale doesn't materialise .welcome to my miserable World at DCFC

Back
Top Bottom