Prince sabotaged us, how to return the favour?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Exactly, Ndiaye made no secret of his desire to return to France, even before he signed his current deal, he refused to go to Everton for the same reason.

He was very much a bit part player under Jokanovic, as said above. It was not until Hecky and Jack Lester moved him further up the pitch that he really flourished and became stand out player of last season, without whom we’d still be in the Championship. But nevertheless, his ambitions were still at home in France, he’s got his wish, be grateful he was here and because he was, that we are now in the Premier League.

Maybe we should see who else we get in in before September, prior to boycotting the programmes, pies and replica shirts ?
You can pack that in right now 1889. Talking sense and being reasonable about the situation.

In the season before the promotion season Ndiaye made 23 starts in the league.
He was on the bench 9 (10?) times. He came on as sub 7 times. He was left out of the squad for some matches. He only played a full 90 minutes twice. He regularly cramped up, sometimes got pushed off the ball (which seems unbelievable now). He was nowhere near the Senegal team for the African cup of nations. He wasn’t even first choice here as Gibbs-white started most games instead of him. Nobody was offering millions of pounds for Ndiaye last summer.

And everyone thought the sky had fallen in when Gibbs-white went back to Wolves.

We’d failed to get promoted, we were losing money, couldn’t afford to keep up repayments on purchased players, couldn’t afford to pay bills around the club reportedly.

I can’t see how we could expect Ndiaye to be offered a contract during that season that would be one of the most lucrative the club had ever given out, with no real prospect of increased income. Should we have done it at Christmas 2021, when he’d played a handful of games? Or mid-season when he was spending most weeks on the bench? Or in the summer of 2022 when we had confirmed that we definitely were not getting promoted and our income was definitely falling way below our outgoings? The idea that the board should have borrowed heavily and put the club into more debt at that time, making him the highest paid player at the club, just doesn’t seem plausible to me.

By Christmas 2022, things had changed further - our financial situation had worsened, a transfer embargo had been imposed, Ndiaye had played well in a few World Cup games for Senegal, and he’d lit up the championship with great performances taking us into a position of promotion favourites. We can borrow heavily and offer that record breaking contract now, but promotion isn’t guaranteed, so our income could be going down AGAIN in a few months. Or we could sell him in January 2023, make a profit, stabilise the club, maybe miss out on promotion. Or we could hold onto him in January, hope we get promoted, and hope premier league football and finances gives us a chance to get him on a new contract in the summer when we know what we can afford to pay. Or maybe we’ve already missed our chance by Jan 2023 because he’s already thinking in terms of champions league clubs and has no intention of signing with just one year left come the summer.

I don’t see a moment when - knowing just what they knew then - with all the future uncertainties still in play - and the club’s financial situation - it would have been the perfect opportunity for the board to commit to borrowing heavily into the future and taking on more debt in order to sign Ndiaye onto one of the most lucrative contracts the club had ever offered.

You are correct i dont disagree nowadays players hold all the power if they are willing to run a contract down

However he wasnt a squad player his talent was there for all to see everyone knew he was at least gonna be a very saleable assett

You’ve not really thought your statement through have you?

If a player is on ten grand a week on a four year contract, his payroll cost is the same in year 4 as year 1. Why do you think it should be less?
I have no idea how you have inferred that from what I've said. I was under the impression there would be some promotion bonus and wage boosts. But tens of millions extra? Pull the other one

Well they still need paying for another year.

Yeah but - wages don't count.

I think some still hark back to the days when the maximum players salary was capped at £ 200 per week not the £ 20/30,000 per week that is the norm now in the PL.

Last time we were in the PL we had the lowest or second lowest wage bill.
Is that a good incentive to keep and attract quality players.

I suspect this time we are avoiding the 10/20 million pound transfer fees, but rather may have increased the wage budget, hence the offer to try to keep Illi.

# Sad that he's gone.
# Good luck to the lad.

I have no idea how you have inferred that from what I've said. I was under the impression there would be some promotion bonus and wage boosts. But tens of millions extra? Pull the other one

Look at the accounts for the last time we were promoted, verses the wage bill for the previous season in the Championship.

Bonuses/ salary increases are not just for the players though.

Yeah but - wages don't count.

I think some still hark back to the days when the maximum players salary was capped at £ 200 per week not the £ 20/30,000 per week that is the norm now in the PL.

Last time we were in the PL we had the lowest or second lowest wage bill.
Is that a good incentive to keep and attract quality players.

I suspect this time we are avoiding the 10/20 million pound transfer fees, but rather may have increased the wage budget, hence the offer to try to keep Illi.

# Sad that he's gone.
# Good luck to the lad.
Your a bit out mate! Screenshot_20230801-130241~2.png

£60k will be the mean. The median will be a lot less due to ludicrous money thrown about by the top clubs distorting it all. It would be interesting to know how the number changes if you look at the median for the bottom 10 clubs.

Witch. Burn him…….

Then the last year of contract point was irrelevant.

£60k will be the mean

£ 60 K per week is very mean I wouldn't get out of bed for that. ;)

Just for illustration purposes 60K/week is 3.1 MILLION pounds per year.

So 11 players = £ 34.2 million pounds per year ( just for the first 11)

No wonder so many prefer to ignore wages....... and focus on spending all the PL money on transfer fees.

Back
Top Bottom