New regulator

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

But that's not happening, so what's the problem we are trying to control with a regulator?

The problem comes if Chansiri gets bored of playing with his toys and can't find another idiot to keep subsidising enormous losses. That there are currently plenty of people that are happy to keep losing millions trying to get to the promised land doesn't mean it's always going to stay that way. Just because we've not had any high profile clubs go bust doesn't mean that lower profile clubs aren't going bust (there's two ex-League clubs near me where that's happened pretty darned recently) or that higher profile clubs won't be in a position to go bust in the future.

The problem comes if Chansiri gets bored of playing with his toys and can't find another idiot to keep subsidising enormous losses. That there are currently plenty of people that are happy to keep losing millions trying to get to the promised land doesn't mean it's always going to stay that way. Just because we've not had any high profile clubs go bust doesn't mean that lower profile clubs aren't going bust (there's two ex-League clubs near me where that's happened pretty darned recently) or that higher profile clubs won't be in a position to go bust in the future.
Either way, the current success rate is far greater than businesses in other sectors. So I struggle to see an argument why we should make it like other sectors.

knowing our luck they will scrap parachute payments at the end of the season :(
I don’t think that they will be allowed to just end it like that, they will have to phase it out, on the basis of short and long term budgeting.

If the average Football League club was a business in any other industry, you'd probably find half of them would liquidate every year. In what other field would you have a CEO of someone in the financial position of, say, Wednesday, and not immediately think "this isn't a going concern" and shut up shop?
If Wednesday went on Dragons Den for investment, once the numbers were crunched it would be four "I am out"
Same for many clubs.
You are correct in any other industry many clubs as a businesses would have closed through bankruptcy.

But, leaving it to itself, the problem is sorted out. Who knows why someone is always prepared to step in, but they do (without a regulator). So again, what's the problem they're trying to tackle?
taking out a new loan to pay off the old one isnt the problem sorting itself out

Wigan, Reading, Bury, Macclesfield, Torquay, Rochdale, Southend, Bolton, Charlton, Oldham, Wednesday & Us (If we didnt get promoted)

taking out a new loan to pay off the old one isnt the problem sorting itself out

Wigan, Reading, Bury, Macclesfield, Torquay, Rochdale, Southend, Bolton, Charlton, Oldham, Wednesday & Us (If we didnt get promoted)
There seems to be a long list of clubs, the vast majority of which are still happily in business?

What, by asking them to be a tad more responsible in their expenditure than they are at the moment?
I've no idea what the regulator will do - you can guarantee once it starts, they won't stop meddling, and the salaries and head count will grow, paid for by the football fan.

They have to justify their existence (SAG?). Then before you know it, people will be put off investing.

Let's look to the success the regulators have made in energy, water, and rail :D

I wish we could go back to the old days where risk is taken that the owner can and will cover losses. If he don’t the club is screwed but like many clubs, come back from the ashes and rise back up the leagues.

I don't think this is going to end well at all. The regulator is clearly going to be anything but independent as the PL big 6, rightly or wrongly, are deemed as a problem and that's one of the main drivers for the regulator to come in. To try and spread the wealth more evenly.

What will inevitably happen is more and more rules & regs are passed down by said regulator that will cause many more problems than exist right now. There's no silver bullet for solving the issues of football and this regulator will prove to be the opposite over time.

All this "like other businesses" stuff is disingenuous. I've come on this thread to learn. So, let's go.....

Which other industries rely on collective agreements among competing businesses for the vast majority of their revenue?

A collection of businesses (for eg the PL clubs) sell the collective rights (say to Sky TV), rather than individual business rights. Even though they are competing businesses. And a very large proportion of individual business income comes from the collective.

That doesn't happen with Sainsbury's & Tesco. We cannot treat football as if it's the same as other industries.

Debate me...

All this "like other businesses" stuff is disingenuous. I've come on this thread to learn. So, let's go.....

Which other industries rely on collective agreements among competing businesses for the vast majority of their revenue?

A collection of businesses (for eg the PL clubs) sell the collective rights (say to Sky TV), rather than individual business rights. Even though they are competing businesses. And a very large proportion of individual business income comes from the collective.

That doesn't happen with Sainsbury's & Tesco. We cannot treat football as if it's the same as other industries.

Debate me...
Do we might debate - define the problem we are trying to tackle?

Do we might debate - define the problem we are trying to tackle?
Let's start with...
What should happen to reckless clubs who spend more than their income and enter administration?
In particular, should they/why should they retain their position in the football pyramid.

Let's start with...
What should happen to reckless clubs who spend more than their income and enter administration?
In particular, should they/why should they retain their position in the football pyramid.

They should be punished, like they are now. Do you think a regulator will make future punishments harder? I'm not convinced the punishment isn't about right now, but in itself it's not something that I find overly emotive, so I'll let someone else debate that. 👍

They should be punished, like they are now. Do you think a regulator will make future punishments harder? I'm not convinced the punishment isn't about right now, but in itself it's not something that I find overly emotive, so I'll let someone else debate that. 👍
Brilliant....
I'll tell you what. Let's go 180. You tell me what you want to debate and we'll go from there.

If the sole purpose of the regulator is to make sure clubs that go into administration get the correct punishment, then they can crack on. I'm not wasting time debating that.
Under the proposed legislation, for the first time, clubs from Step 1 of the National League System and above will need a licence to operate as a football club. Clubs entering administration would lose that licence. Then there would be a decision as to whether any phoenix club could retain the licence or have to reapply for Step 2 or below on the National League System.

There seems to be a long list of clubs, the vast majority of which are still happily in business?
you mean have a very different definition of the word happy. or your not aware of the news in the last 5 years. as you ask any reading fan if they are still happily in business & see what you get back

you mean have a very different definition of the word happy. or your not aware of the news in the last 5 years. as you ask any reading fan if they are still happily in business & see what you get back
If you compare a bunch of clubs that have gone close to the edge, and imagine a world where no club is close to the edge, I'm sure they'd all rather be in that world.

The point I'm making is that in the real world, far more companies go bust. Not close to the edge, but out of existence.

So you can design your eutopia and argue we should all want a bit of that. I see no evidence of regulated industries delivering that eutopia, and plenty of evidence that things could be far worse.

It would probably be phased out rather than just stopped. Would actually make relegated clubs even more financially in the doo doo.

I honestly think the best things would be for the top 6 clubs to walk out and form their own shitty league along with the likes of PSG, Milan etc. the. Bar them from any domestic competitions.

It's what they want. Just let them do it.
Then we can reform the league structure.
I understand that would be welcomed BUT I would not be surprised if all the sky money that all clubs enjoy in the prem follows them leaving all other clubs fighting for crumbs that will be left . Now of course I don't know if that would happen for sure but it would not surprise me ,TV money would not be there and once again most clubs would be left broke .

If you compare a bunch of clubs that have gone close to the edge, and imagine a world where no club is close to the edge, I'm sure they'd all rather be in that world.

The point I'm making is that in the real world, far more companies go bust. Not close to the edge, but out of existence.

So you can design your eutopia and argue we should all want a bit of that. I see no evidence of regulated industries delivering that eutopia, and plenty of evidence that things could be far worse.
These companies. That go bust. In the real world. Do people have tattoos of the logos of those businesses?

These companies. That go bust. In the real world. Are they all named after the town they operate in?

These companies. That go bust. In the real world. Do people name their kids after middle management?

Back
Top Bottom