Data.......

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Its one thing knowing oppo weaknesses, its another being able to get at them
That's the crux of it. Numbers without the skill to figure out what they mean, the time to watch the video to make sure you fully understand what it's saying and the tactical knowledge of how to take advantage of it are almost useless

Interesting that the two specific examples given in the article are that Belgium attack more down one wing than the other, and Spain have a lot of possession. Neither of which needs data analytics to spot.
One of the problems with data analytics is that it often confirms obvious stuff.

A bit off topic but I talked to a guy who'd used data a lot in his online businesses and he gave me the two examples below.
As IT director at an online holiday site they commissioned a data analytics company to provide an "insight report".

One of the first things in their presentation was that people holiday near the coast in the summer months!

However, at his next business, online cosmetics, one of their data guys unearthed that sales of fake tan seemed to spike when the weather forecast first predicted 18 degrees. So they planned a big marketing campaign around that and cleaned up big time.

I guess the moral of this tale is that if you can apply some domain expertise to the data you can make real competitive advantages from it.

It's a tool that the best coaches will use to get an extra 0.5% over their rivals

Collecting data is easy in today's world. Every element of the game is automatically counted and logged. Player motions, speed of ball, game time, etc.

But ...extracting useful and insightful information from data is the tricky part, which is why the best data analysts earn the big money. There'll always be chancers / less-skilled people who will end up drawing useless conclusions.

Because the top teams are pretty closely matched (on a good day anyone can beat anyone), gains of only a few percent are literally enough to make a big change in the match outcome.

Forgetting some of the less savoury stories, Dave brailsford and his team made huge improvements in GB cycling teams, with olympic medals galore, by using such analytics to squeeze 0.5% here, 0.25% there.

Believe me, it can make that extra difference!

Won't be long (or perhaps already happens?) until A.I is used to analyse tactics and predict counter-tactics, or novel strategies. Just look at what stockfish and other A.I bots have done to chess: they're now predicting new strategies based on deeper analytics, and humans can no longer compete with them.

How long until a computer is making the subs and sending in-play messages to the players via an earpiece to tweak tactics?

But we don't need A.I just yet, we've got A.K!!! (Alan Knill).

UTB!

Forgetting some of the less savoury stories, Dave brailsford and his team made huge improvements in GB cycling teams, with olympic medals galore, by using such analytics to squeeze 0.5% here, 0.25% there.
He should have just given them performance enhancers like the rest of the teams did.

Collecting data is easy in today's world. Every element of the game is automatically counted and logged. Player motions, speed of ball, game time, etc.

But ...extracting useful and insightful information from data is the tricky part, which is why the best data analysts earn the big money. There'll always be chancers / less-skilled people who will end up drawing useless conclusions.

Because the top teams are pretty closely matched (on a good day anyone can beat anyone), gains of only a few percent are literally enough to make a big change in the match outcome.

Believe me, it can make that extra difference!
On the other hand, some in the know say that actually they just cheated, maybe just a bit.
The French public certainly think so.
Bradley Wiggins.....mystery package scanndal.

I'd love to know what data we used to sign larouci. Acorn computers powered most likely

An interesting article on the BBC about how smaller teams have used data analytics to cause upsets at the last WC.

It got me thinking... Were are we in terms of using Data analytics to narrow the gap between ourselves and richer teams?

Anyone know how much importance we place on this?

Nope, because you can guarantee the richer teams are throwing many more millions at data analysis than we ever could 🤷‍♂️

Nope, because you can guarantee the richer teams are throwing many more millions at data analysis than we ever could 🤷‍♂️
Yeah the era of massive gains from it will be long gone but it's still a tool to use. Probably more effective in championship recruitment for us.

That’s why professional cycling is an absolute waste of time and the Lycra clad wankers it’s spawned are just as bad 😜
Mate, last time i 'discussed' MAMILs on this board, I upset one too many sensitive souls....

But yep in all the 'marginal gains' guff it often gets over looked about failed tests, team doctors laptops going missing then refusing to give evidence at inquests.... But let's talk about the 1% stuff not the highly organised doping programme...

Was up at Buxton yesterday and got talking to one of the guys there about the game and we got onto data and how they use data and the analytic side of things.

Very interesting and was surprised at how much they use data. This is a part time club and they’re utilising cameras, gps vests and using it to develop training and fitness plans as well as recovery

Mate, last time i 'discussed' MAMILs on this board, I upset one too many sensitive souls....

But yep in all the 'marginal gains' guff it often gets over looked about failed tests, team doctors laptops going missing then refusing to give evidence at inquests.... But let's talk about the 1% stuff not the highly organised doping programme...
I worked for a company who brought in a ‘marginal gains’ campaign off the back of it. It drove me insane. All about saving 1% every day, to contribute to a better financial result at year end.

I worked for a company who brought in a ‘marginal gains’ campaign off the back of it. It drove me insane. All about saving 1% every day, to contribute to a better financial result at year end.
Did your company bring it in a smokescreen to cover their widespread doping campaign too???

I used to work with one of the British Cycling physios and his stories are wild!!

Back
Top Bottom