Data.......

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Kev Gee

Reaction score
An interesting article on the BBC about how smaller teams have used data analytics to cause upsets at the last WC.

It got me thinking... Were are we in terms of using Data analytics to narrow the gap between ourselves and richer teams?

Anyone know how much importance we place on this?

Increasingly used across a wide range of sports.

Used more than just a bit at this years Ryder Cup.

UTB

Luton have been doing this for a few years and use Blades analytics ! Big blade the guy who does this ! Could we pinch him off Luton he's done a good job there
I remember at the time we should be doing this ,worked really well for Luton.2

I heard that they cancelled the Data Analytics contract when they had cash flow problems

injury prevention.... Remember when Poch was at southampton, it was all about getting the right sleep, mattresses etc for marginal gains, we are lucky to have a starting 11 some weeks!

An interesting article on the BBC about how smaller teams have used data analytics to cause upsets at the last WC.

It got me thinking... Were are we in terms of using Data analytics to narrow the gap between ourselves and richer teams?

1703154295003.png

I'm an absolute novice Kozzy_is_my_Dad. An enthusiastic amateur.

Data is easy to use to tell you what's already happened. I can do that for free with the stuff available to the public. The real skill is to inform future decisions and identify potential opportunities. The cutting edge stuff is much. much more in-depth and teams pay companies to provide them with output. It takes coding, video analysis, complex algorithm building and will heavily involve AI as we move forward

Here's an example of a company on that cutting edge - https://www.secondspectrum.com/index.html. They track the movement of every player, distance between players when actions take place, % success rates of certain actions etc etc etc. The data is all available. How you apply it is very much up to the individuals at each club

For instance, the public can see how many times a player has crossed the ball. The clubs can see which foot he used, how he received the ball, where on the pitch he was, time of game, how far he'd run in that game, how many sprints, which other players are on the pitch, which players pass it to him most often before a cross, how far the defenders are away when he crosses it, which part of the penalty area it goes most often, height/speed etc of the cross. And any other parameter you can think of. Clubs can then use that data to help their players understand what they are doing and why it is/isn't successful. They can also use it to scout opponents tendencies etc. This sort of data is also how advanced scouting takes place - you give a number of parameters to a company and they use their database to identify players who match. How the clubs use that info is up to them

Interesting that the two specific examples given in the article are that Belgium attack more down one wing than the other, and Spain have a lot of possession. Neither of which needs data analytics to spot.

It might be useful to know how far away a player is from the man who is crossing, but only if you know why he is that distance and what would be the consequences if he was closer or further away. Part of which is undecided because of course the other team adjust their game depending what you're doing. Does data analytics in that sort of depth, really affect performance on the pitch more than traditional coaching?

Data is easy to use to tell you what's already happened. I can do that for free with the stuff available to the public. The real skill is to inform future decisions and identify potential opportunities. The cutting edge stuff is much. much more in-depth and teams pay companies to provide them with output. It takes coding, video analysis, complex algorithm building and will heavily involve AI as we move forward

Here's an example of a company on that cutting edge - https://www.secondspectrum.com/index.html. They track the movement of every player, distance between players when actions take place, % success rates of certain actions etc etc etc. The data is all available. How you apply it is very much up to the individuals at each club

For instance, the public can see how many times a player has crossed the ball. The clubs can see which foot he used, how he received the ball, where on the pitch he was, time of game, how far he'd run in that game, how many sprints, which other players are on the pitch, which players pass it to him most often before a cross, how far the defenders are away when he crosses it, which part of the penalty area it goes most often, height/speed etc of the cross. And any other parameter you can think of. Clubs can then use that data to help their players understand what they are doing and why it is/isn't successful. They can also use it to scout opponents tendencies etc. This sort of data is also how advanced scouting takes place - you give a number of parameters to a company and they use their database to identify players who match. How the clubs use that info is up to them
Blades Analytics was an enthusiastic amateur a few years back. And look at where he's got to now. If only...

Luton have been doing this for a few years and use Blades analytics ! Big blade the guy who does this ! Could we pinch him off Luton he's done a good job there
I remember at the time we should be doing this ,worked really well for Luton.2
Jay Socik - I remember listening to him on Bladespod and he was very impressive with his knowledge. I think he started at Peterborough and
I thought he'd be ideal for us, unfortunately Luton nipped in and they've wiped the floor with us on recruitment ever since.

I know its slightly off topic BUT (lol) I actually think the only way for us Blades to compete is big 6ft plus players playing long ball stuff. Like the Warnock mantra of 'get it in the mixer' organised and very tough to beat. You know what I might be a dinosaur but other than I don't think we'll ever be able to complete!

I know its slightly off topic BUT (lol) I actually think the only way for us Blades to compete is big 6ft plus players playing long ball stuff. Like the Warnock mantra of 'get it in the mixer' organised and very tough to beat. You know what I might be a dinosaur but other than I don't think we'll ever be able to complete!
Brentford have shown the way we should be going. Obviously money to get that set up is the issue. To think becoming a new Stoke is the only way isnt true although I can see it working.

Didn't we recently signed a big-money deal with that exciting new data analysis firm, Tingo Analytics? Registered office Sing Sing, NY

Jay Socik - I remember listening to him on Bladespod and he was very impressive with his knowledge. I think he started at Peterborough and
I thought he'd be ideal for us, unfortunately Luton nipped in and they've wiped the floor with us on recruitment ever since.
At that time we had an entire team under Wilder, going back to League 1.

We used GPS trackers on all players, that goes back to Adkins time

A Quick Look around and we have a number of data analysts and performance analysts at the club already.

I’d expect that in the next few months that a few things will change in the way we do these things

But you're OUR enthusiastic amateur, and that's all that matters 😍🤩

Brentford have shown the way we should be going. Obviously money to get that set up is the issue. To think becoming a new Stoke is the only way isnt true although I can see it working.
Waynt cost much, Daz in't office, his brother works at Dixon's, and Karen who does accounts can do spreadsheets.

Seriously though, there is scouting and analyst costs. But we were talking to some Brentford fans after the match. He said last year they made £130m profit. It's the way to go.

used to have a really good group of analysts, lost some to other clubs who are doing really well there too. I understand its something we do a lot of, part and parcel of the game now and has been for a while. I know we used to use a company from America too at one point, not sure if that carried on after Wilder left. Think he's used them at other clubs too, so im guessing CW is right on the money with it. Its one thing knowing oppo weaknesses, its another being able to get at them.

One thing that does always surprise me is how little attention at times is played to what is going on on the pitch. An example for me is when we played spurs away, McBurnie absolutely destroyed their defender van de ven, won everything, bullied him, the kid wouldnt challenge him at points in second half and he was shot. Got talking to some old spurs fans on way to station and they were saying the same and how itd given every team a blueprint of how to play against him.

Seen a few spurs games since and not once has another team played on him, put someone physical up against him...the result being when he got injured a few weeks back a lot of media were saying what a loss it was, he'd be a real star of the first part of the season (which in theory he had) and the impact it'd have on spurs, when all the time im thinking put a physical lad against him ie mcburnie, DCL, Wilson at Newcastle, christ even that Nunez at Liverpool and youve half won the game

But, but, but what about pashun???

Gerrit in the mixer. Run round a bit more ...

Don't be coming round these parts spouting shit that really happens in 2023!! You heretic!! It's all about 'needing experience', keep Player X - he's good for the dressing room... Nothing to do with this fancy pants data shmata....

Back
Top Bottom