McFadzean at left back against Swindon

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Ah. The imaginary threat of the best right winger in the league. Subject of several imaginary bids from championship teams right now. Ah. Imaginary. Okay.

Nurse.

Pretty much every player is a threat to some extent or another.

It's the extent of the threat from Byrne which is fairly ridiculous in some posts here. Those bids are from Division 2 teams which makes him about as much of a threat as Murphy.

Would it have been sensible for our opponents last season to spend money on a defender to cope with Murphy?

I don't know what this is all about with Swindon.
It's them who will fear us and I'm for one reckon we'll take plenty of points on the road this season.
Home sides won't sit as deep and won't get as many players behind the ball like they do at the Lane.

Just a thought but what about switching Freeman out there. Defensively can be suspect at times but he would have the pace to keep up with Byrne. Then you can bring Alcock in, maybe, at right back. Not ideal but a possibility.

FFS - this just goes on.

We will have Sammon and Sharp up top, JCR (hopefully) on the right and Che on the left.

Mcnulty to come on as impact - last 20 minutes.

THIS SEASON, Swindon will be giving our front 4 a lot more respect than last season. Swindon will dis-respect our front 4 at their peril.

Yes, it's a tough game, but we have much better players up top this time, and they will be equally worried about what Che can do...........remember his goal in the PO? They won't have forgotten that.

As long as we start with commitment and show them what's what in the first 10-15 minutes then we take it from there.

UTB

THIS SEASON, Swindon will be giving our front 4 a lot more respect than last season. Swindon will dis-respect our front 4 at their peril.

Does Swindon's Thompson still wait outside the penalty box waiting for a short pass from the goal kick from the keeper and if the opposing striker runs to mark him then Thompson runs across the penalty box? (the opponent isnt allowed in the penalty box)

Pretty much every player is a threat to some extent or another.

It's the extent of the threat from Byrne which is fairly ridiculous in some posts here. Those bids are from Division 2 teams which makes him about as much of a threat as Murphy.

Would it have been sensible for our opponents last season to spend money on a defender to cope with Murphy?

We're not just spending money to cope with Byrne though are we. Are you really dense enough to think a defence consisting of Neill Collins and Jay McEveley as mainstays can achieve promotion from any league?

David Edgar has been brilliant since he's come in. He needs a partner, he can't babysit his partner for the whole of the season. We have the money there, we need a defender. Why wait? We need a defender now, not in 4 months.

We're not just spending money to cope with Byrne though are we.
Why else should we panic buy before Satdi?
Are you really dense enough
Why get personal about it? To answer the question: No.
a defence consisting of Neill Collins and Jay McEveley as mainstays can achieve promotion from any league?
(This is just a straw man)
  • Collins and McEvely are not proposed as mainstays but as squad players.
  • Bob will hopefully be a mainstay at RB
  • another CB, properly acquired through a considered recruitment process will hopefully be the mainstay at CB. Unless, say, McGahey steps up - but that's unlikely.
Why wait?
So we can get the right player at the right price. We have finite resources which need spending properly.
We need a defender now, not in 4 months
Again who's suggesting 4 months? Either a transfer, or a loan in the next couple of weeks.

I think most people wanted 2 centre halves brought in before the season started and are just getting a bit more fidgety about it for the following reasons:-

1. Deadline day is approaching
2. Collins is injured
3. Wallace is suspended.
4. Swindon (not just Byrne but him, Smith, Obika, Robert etc) will offer much more attacking threat than Chezzy or Morecambe.
5. Harris is injured
6. Brayford is injured.

All those factors are making people impatient for the arrival of another defender and that is fairy justifiable in my opinion. WHF, you accuse others of building a straw man but you have just posted videos comparing Maradonna and Byrne. Nobody anywhere has said Byrne is one of the best players in the world. Just one of the best players in our league.

I think most people wanted 2 centre halves brought in before the season started and are just getting a bit more fidgety about it for the following reasons:-

2. Collins is injured
3. Wallace is suspended.
4. Swindon (not just Byrne but him, Smith, Obika, Robert etc) will offer much more attacking threat than Chezzy or Morecambe.
5. Harris is injured
6. Brayford is injured.

All those factors are making people impatient for the arrival of another defender and that is fairy justifiable in my opinion. WHF, you accuse others of building a straw man but you have just posted videos comparing Maradonna and Byrne. Nobody anywhere has said Byrne is one of the best players in the world. Just one of the best players in our league.

Don't. Criticise.
Don't. Criticise.
Don't. Criticise.

Also, I note a couple of posters have said "let them worry about us" and "double up on Byrne" in the same post. Surely, to double up, we have to sacrifice some attacking intent (presumably from our left winger). This seems contradictory to me.

I personally think we should attack them and try to put them on the back foot but if we can, bring in a better centre half to shore up the defence at the same time.

I hope we can sign another defender before the window closes, not just for this game, but because I don't think we have enough overall quality there for the rest of the season.

Personally I'd be happy with a 5-5 draw on Saturday :D

2. Collins is injured
3. Wallace is suspended.
5. Harris is injured
6. Brayford is injured.

The video was a joke pointing out the ridiculous, and ongoing, extent of the overreaction, which a few others have alluded to.

Byrne is a good player but like Collins, Long (when the aim was to have a go at Clough and Howard respectively) and most preposterously of all DDG, his abilities have been exaggerated out of all proprtion.

Should we panic buy for Satdi? No.

Also, I note a couple of posters have said "let them worry about us" and "double up on Byrne" in the same post. Surely, to double up, we have to sacrifice some attacking intent (presumably from our left winger). This seems contradictory to me.

I personally think we should attack them and try to put them on the back foot but if we can, bring in a better centre half to shore up the defence at the same time.

Unless you can somehow manage to defend (double up, if needed, when they've got the ball) and attack (when we've got the ball) at different times.

I hope we can sign another defender before the window closes, not just for this game, but because I don't think we have enough overall quality there for the rest of the season.

Personally I'd be happy with a 5-5 draw on Saturday :D

We should sign a defender but all in good time. It may even be another loan.

Aren't we a much better team than the one that got that 5-5?

Satdi will be a real test but it needs keeping in perspective imhbco.

The video was a joke pointing out the ridiculous, and ongoing, extent of the overreaction, which a few others have alluded to.

Byrne is a good player but like Collins, Long (when the aim was to have a go at Clough and Howard respectively) and most preposterously of all DDG, his abilities have been exaggerated out of all proprtion.

Should we panic buy for Satdi? No.

Maybe some have overstated Byrne's abilities but I don't think many would deny that he's one of the better players in League 1. We also saw Obika drift past McEveley and Alcock as if they weren't there for Swindon's 5th goal and saw Smith win a ridiculous number of headers against McEveley. We've also seen that Robert has 3 goals to his name already.

Our defence is weakened and I think most thought it could do with another centre half even if Brayford, Collins and Harris were fit which they are not. I don't think it's so much a case of panic buy for saturday but more frustration that we haven't addressed the issue 6 games (in all competitions) into the season which is likely to become 7 games. Timing does make a difference. If we'd had Brayford and Done from August last season we might have got promoted.

Don't. Criticise.
Don't. Criticise.
Don't. Criticise.
Who says don't criticise? I don't think one poster has said we were good at Fulham, or Gillingham. In fact, there's a post today dissecting our defending (or lack it).
You have to choose your words carefully on here or people can misunderstand you.
Your posts sounded like you were advocating signing a left back specifically to deal with the threat of Byrne. I'm sure you didn't mean that and I'm sure you'd agree that it would be ridiculous to do so.
Let's face it, the board aren't likely to sanction it when we have Harris, McEv, Freeman who can play there and Alcock and McFadz who have, er, appeared there.
Our priorities are centre half, then centre mid, then wide mid, then keeper.
We're not going to be signing another four players until the JTW at least, best we can hope for is a ch and maybe a cm, or one who does either. And I wish we'd hurry up, as far as I'm aware you don't have to wait until the loan window opens to loan players, if that's the route we're going down.
I know there's reasons like we might be waiting for another club to bring someone in before they let us have someone but patience has never been my strong point.

Maybe some have overstated Byrne's abilities but I don't think many would deny that he's one of the better players in League 1. We also saw Obika drift past McEveley and Alcock as if they weren't there for Swindon's 5th goal and saw Smith win a ridiculous number of headers against McEveley. We've also seen that Robert has 3 goals to his name already.

Our defence is weakened and I think most thought it could do with another centre half even if Brayford, Collins and Harris were fit which they are not. I don't think it's so much a case of panic buy for saturday but more frustration that we haven't addressed the issue 6 games (in all competitions) into the season which is likely to become 7 games. Timing does make a difference. If we'd had Brayford and Done from August last season we might have got promoted.

I think both were summer targets but the price wasn't right.

In passing if we had got them and we had got promoted we'd have less money and Clough would still be manager. Just a thought :)

I think it's a fair point that even with everyone fit we could do with a centre half, and it is frustrating we haven't sorted it. I check the forum about every ten minutes hoping to see a CONFIRMED.

So far the board and the manager have shown they are.willing and able to recruit. They are undoubtedly pursuing avenues (and a fair few dead ends) of enquiry.

Personally I'm prepared to wait and see.

Another factor may be Baxter's recklessness and stupidity on Tuesday.

Plenty of fans think CM also needs reinforcements. NA has trusted Baxter. On Tuesday maybe Baxter abused that trust and caused a rethink. Who knows?

Well Adkns has just rubbished the Pierre rumours and said that he's working to get a midfielder in before the deadline. No mention of bringing in another defender. I wonder whether that means Bash will revert to centre half?

Well Adkns has just rubbished the Pierre rumours and said that he's working to get a midfielder in before the deadline. No mention of bringing in another defender. I wonder whether that means Bash will revert to centre half?
Suspect so if the Bostwick rumours have any substance.

Who says don't criticise? I don't think one poster has said we were good at Fulham, or Gillingham. In fact, there's a post today dissecting our defending (or lack it).
You have to choose your words carefully on here or people can misunderstand you.
Your posts sounded like you were advocating signing a left back specifically to deal with the threat of Byrne. I'm sure you didn't mean that and I'm sure you'd agree that it would be ridiculous to do so.
Let's face it, the board aren't likely to sanction it when we have Harris, McEv, Freeman who can play there and Alcock and McFadz who have, er, appeared there.
Our priorities are centre half, then centre mid, then wide mid, then keeper.
We're not going to be signing another four players until the JTW at least, best we can hope for is a ch and maybe a cm, or one who does either. And I wish we'd hurry up, as far as I'm aware you don't have to wait until the loan window opens to loan players, if that's the route we're going down.
I know there's reasons like we might be waiting for another club to bring someone in before they let us have someone but patience has never been my strong point.

I certainly wasn't saying that, I was saying sign a defender a long time ago. Now it's highlighted cos we're down to the bare bones.
To be honest I could deal with McEveley at left back, but with us having no one at centre half we have to deploy him there.

We need to sign a centre back to partner Edgar if we want to have a good defensive record this season. It doesn't matter so much against the Blackpools of this world but the Swindons and Wigans it will.

I'm not advocating signing a defender JUST to play against Swindon. I'm advocating signing a defender to play against Swindon and for the rest of the season.
Or if we don't want 3 points we can just go with our heads up our arses and not sign anyone. Choice is completely the clubs to make.

Bizzare.
But if it allows Basham to go back to centre half fair enough, he's not a natural there though. Still stinks of square pegs and all that.

But we trust in Nigel so let him do his thing.

I'm guessing that the selection pool for Scots U21s aint that great and that he will have been called up as a winger as opposed to a left back.

We should sign a defender but all in good time. It may even be another loan.

Aren't we a much better team than the one that got that 5-5?

Satdi will be a real test but it needs keeping in perspective imhbco.

Wouldn't mind another loan player (or 2) especially if it's a similiar quality to Edgar.

The result remark was very much tongue-in-cheek but actually, and realistically, I don't think a draw would be a bad result, especially after the 2 sending offs this week.

I certainly wasn't saying that, I was saying sign a defender a long time ago. Now it's highlighted cos we're down to the bare bones.
To be honest I could deal with McEveley at left back, but with us having no one at centre half we have to deploy him there.

We need to sign a centre back to partner Edgar if we want to have a good defensive record this season. It doesn't matter so much against the Blackpools of this world but the Swindons and Wigans it will.

I'm not advocating signing a defender JUST to play against Swindon. I'm advocating signing a defender to play against Swindon and for the rest of the season.
Or if we don't want 3 points we can just go with our heads up our arses and not sign anyone. Choice is completely the clubs to make.

Hang on Danny. If we don't sign a defender we not only can't get three points at Swindon but we don't want to?...

Give over.

Back
Top Bottom