United old timers best XI (all signed when over 30)

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

1973Blade

Reaction score
We've signed fewer older players in recent years - for understandable reasons but sometimes it's good to have a wide old head.
This is my best eleven - have to be over 30 when we signed them and its based on impact when with us, not on how good they were elsewhere in their career (ie not Ian Rush).
Goalkeeper
1. I've gone for John Burridge, made some very good saves but was erratic (he is very critical of modern goalkeepers for making errors which I always think is a bit hypocritical!) But I liked him for us. There aren't many strong candidates, Steve Simonsen surely has to be ruled out , Ian Bennett did ok.
Defence
2 Alan Wright, I was going for David Unsworth until I realised he was 29 when we signed him, he must have had a tough paper round! Wright did a decent job for us though. He must have been our smallest defender!
3. Ugo Ehiogu, very solid defender still classy when we got him and made us a lot stronger at the back
4.. Jake Wright, an example of a wise old head who helped us in League One, we went ages not losing when he played for us. We weren't impressed when we signed him, but played an important role for us.
5. Paul Mcgrath, brilliant defender best natural defender I've seen play for us. Sadly and typically he played for years with dodgy knees which finally forced him to retire after only playing about a dozen games for us.
I couldn't think of a decent right back over 30, I was tempted to go for Matty Hill at the back, who was likeable and decent for us.
Midfield
6. Gordon Cowans, the advantage of signing older players is you see ones who were too good for us in their prime. He barely moved but did the simple things brilliantly, as soon as Kendall played him the team improved.
7. Mark Duffy, and not just for Bouncing Day! Classy and part of a great midfield trio of Coutts, Duffy and Fleck. Still think it was a pity he didn't get to play in the Premier League
8. Stuart McCall, a tough one between him and Gary Speed. Based solely on how he played for us, I think McCall was the better and played an important role in midfield under Warnock.
Strikers
9. Bobby Hatton, my first football hero! He looked about 70 but what a striker, his partnership with Keith Edwards was fantastic.
10 David Mcgoldrick, another one that we weren't impressed with when we signed him, but surprised me with how good a footballer he was, and one of the most popular players for us, you could tell he loved his time with us.
Winger
11. Jamal Campbell-Ryce, such a skillful player, if he could add consistency to his game he would have played at a higher level.
Two rules - players have to be over 30 when signed and anyone who mentions Dean Hammond is banned!

Last edited:

We've signed fewer older players in recent years - for understandable reasons but sometimes it's good to have a wide old head.
This is my best eleven - have to be over 30 when we signed them and its based on impact when with us, not on how good they were elsewhere in their career (ie not Ian Rush).
Goalkeeper
1. I've gone for John Burridge, made some very good saves but was erratic (he is very critical of modern goalkeepers for making errors which I always think is a bit hypocritical!) But I liked him for us. There aren't many strong candidates, Steve Simonsen surely has to be ruled out , Ian Bennett did ok.
Defence
2 Alan Wright, I was going for David Unsworth until I realised he was 29 when we signed him, he must have had a tough paper round! Wright did a decent job for us though. He must have been our smallest defender!
3. Ugo Ehiogu, very solid defender still classy when we got him and made us a lot stronger at the back
4.. Jake Wright, an example of a wise old head who helped us in League One, we went ages not losing when he played for us. We weren't impressed when we signed him, but played an important role for us.
5. Paul Mcgrath, brilliant defender best natural defender I've seen play for us. Sadly and typically he played for years with dodgy knees which finally forced him to retire after only playing about a dozen games for us.
I couldn't think of a decent right back over 30, I was tempted to go for Matty Hill at the back, who was likeable and decent for us.
Midfield
6. Gordon Cowans, the advantage of signing older players is you see ones who were too good for us in their prime. He barely moved but did the simple things brilliantly, as soon as Kendall played him the team improved.
7. Mark Duffy, and not just for Bouncing Day! Classy and part of a great midfield trio of Coutts, Duffy and Fleck. Still think it was a pity he didn't get to play in the Premier League
8. Stuart McCall, a tough one between him and Gary Speed. Based solely on how he played for us, I think McCall was the better and played an important role in midfield under Warnock.
Strikers
9. Bobby Hatton, my first football hero! He looked about 70 but what a striker, his partnership with Keith Edwards was fantastic.
10 David Mcgoldrick, another one that we weren't impressed with when we signed him, but surprised me with how good a footballer he was, and one of the most popular players for us, you could tell he loved his time with us.
Winger
11. Jamal Campbell-Ryce, such a skillful player, if he could add consistency to his game he would have played at a higher level.
Two rules - players have to be over 30 when signed and anyone who mentions Dean Hammond is banned!
Good thread, I just cba to check the ages of my favourite 11 😅👍

The best player we signed over 30 was Gary Speed for me. Absolute quality, still fit and was levels above anyone else at 38 years old.

Goalkeeper
Defence
Midfield
Strikers
Winger
I made a similar Blades Dad's Army eleven a while back. Unsurprisingly, it significantly overlaps with yours, but there are a few differences.
Format is appearances for SUFC and age when played last game.
Mine goes:
1. Mervyn Day - one appearance. Signed at 37 years old as cover.
2. Paul McGrath - 12 apps. 38.
3. Keith Curle - 57 apps. 37.
4. Ugo Ehiogu - 26 apps. 36.
5. Steve Bruce - 10 apps. 38.
6. Nigel Spackman - 24 apps. 36.
7. Stu McCall - 71 apps. 38.
8. Gary Speed - 37 apps. 39.
9 .Ian Rush - 4 apps. 37.
10. Brian Deane - 2 apps (2005-2006) 37.
11. Gordan Cowans - 21 apps. 37.

I made a similar Blades Dad's Army eleven a while back. Unsurprisingly, it significantly overlaps with yours, but there are a few differences.
Mine goes:
Not a bad line up, but the Brian Deane of 2005 was well past his prime!

Mine goes:

Nigel Spackman was shocking for us.

Not a bad line up, but the Brian Deane of 2005 was well past his prime!
Absolutely! So was Ian Rush and a few others too. It was more an exercise of finding the oldest - over 35 years was my aim. Combined age of 410! I think I made my list about five years ago. I would add Billy to the list now but he wasn't eligible then.

Mine goes:
Ian rush? He was absolutely shocking for us

James Beattie must 've been 30 or very close

Funny that no one has mentioned Tommy Mooney…

Unsworth was over 30 when we signed him, he was born in 1973 and signed in 2005.

What about Gary Naismith the left full back. No world beater, but was fairly steady.

Some others not already mentioned above. I'm not saying they're all good:

Paul Parker
Andy Walker
Mark Patterson
Earl Barrett
Ian Hamilton
Nicky Marker
Giorgios Donis
Laurent DJaffo
David Kelly
Paul Peschisolido
Gus Uhlenbeek
Steve Yates
Wayne Allison
Dean Windass
Iffy Onoura
Mark Rankine
Paul Shaw
Ashley Ward
Andy Liddell
Tommy Johnson
Garry Flitcroft
Bruce Dyer
Keith Gillespie
David Sommeil
Chris Lucketti
Lee Hendrie
Ian Bennett
Paul Gerrard
Geoff Horsfield
Sun Jihai
Richard Cresswell
Henri Camara
Steve Simonsen
Michael Doyle
Matt Hill
Barry Robson
Danny Higginbotham
Billy Paynter
Ben Davies
Marlon King
Dean Hammond
Clayton Donaldson
Martin Cranie
Leon Clarke
Conor Hourihane
Ciaran Clark

Dean Saunders ?
His throw in was class 😉
The goalie wondered what the the fuck was happening, realised too late and the look on his face was total disbelief.
Ball out for throw in, recon Saunders and the goalie were the only two players in that half of the pitch. Anyone lighting a fag or turning to speak to a mate would have missed it as it happened so quickly. Glad I keep watching.
Believe I can honestly say it was slickest piece of quick and innovative thinking I've ever seen, resulting in a goal, in my long, coming up to my eighty third year, football watching life.

Back
Top Bottom