John Fleck stats

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Only if giving the ball away, lethargy and allowing opponents to run free into the space behind you is now considered ‘superb’.

He was a worthy successor to the legendary number 4 shirt for at least a dozen games. A lot of people noticed that, not just me as the Bladey mythology would suggest. Others closed their eyes and imagined what they wanted to see.

Happily he was right back on it by the end of the season. He’ll need to be next year because he won’t get away with losing possession so frequently and ultimately he’ll lose his place. Wait and see.
Really!
Only in S2 Pinchy world.
The above is exactly how your now surplus to requirements Paul Coutts played but Paul Coutts never did the running. CW mentioned this in the league one season a few times.
Coutts made a move as though he was going to defend a situation then stopped running leaving us exposed more than any other midfield player did over the last few seasons. This has been recognised and pointed out by a few well respected posters on here even with a pictorial breakdown.
It was exposed even more with his 70th minute substitution during the Milwall game ( which probably made CWs mind up about his future with us). With Coutts leaving us woefully exposed through the above description and his failure to affect the game in a positive way.
Fleck on the other hand. Well you calling for him to be replaced by your occasionally out of the garage Rolls has been proved wrong, by the ever learning and not stuck in the past CW.
Flecks stats speaks volumes for you inadequate views on what is right or wrong in the way of playing football. Even if he is not spectacular (to you) ,he plays with 10x more versatility than your now departed hero.

Last edited:

Really!
Only in S2 Pinchy world.
The above is exactly how your now surplus to requirements Paul Coutts played but Paul Coutts never did the running. CW mentioned this in the league one season a few times.
Coutts made a move as though he was going to defend a situation then stopped running leaving us exposed more than any other midfield player did over the last few seasons. This has been recognised and pointed out by a few well respected posters on here even with a pictorial breakdown.
It was exposed even more with his 70th minute substitution during the Milwall game ( which probably made CWs mind up about his future with us). With Coutts leaving us woefully exposed through the above description and his failure to affect the game in a positive way.
Fleck on the other hand. Well you calling for him to be replaced by your occasionally out of the garage Rolls has been proved wrong, by the ever learning and not stuck in the past CW.
Flecks stats speaks volumes for you inadequate views on what is right or wrong in the way of playing football. Even if he is not spectacular (to you) ,he plays with 10x more versatility than your now departed hero.

C773373B-1FB6-46BF-B3D0-585AB5389C54.jpeg

The legend.

Anyone who has criticised Fleck this season doesn't know football or tactics.
UTB

I’ve played and observed the game for well over half a century. When I want arrogant nonsense from a wet behind the ears tyro, I’ll be sure to send for you.

I'm a big fan of Fleck. He only took the highly rated McGinn and Whelan out of his pocket when he got subbed in the home game against Villa.

I think my only criticism would be he can go through spells in a game where we seems to lose the ball a lot. I remember at Oxford in the League 1 promotion season, he was awful first half, couldn't pass water but came out second half and had a stormer. Takes character to be able to do that though and everyone has a bad spell or a bad game. The important thing of course is that Wilder clearly rates him and I can see him featuring heavily and doing well in the Premier League.

He can do everything as well, his defensive displays against Brentford and Leeds were fantastic. Gets criticised for not scoring many but you only have to look at the goal he set up for Madine v Millwall to see what he's all about. Similar superb assists for Basham at Derby and Dowell at Stoke. That's not even counting all the other assists and superb balls he plays in. Just ask yourself who put in a superb pin point corner for O'Connell to score against Ipswich?

Just ask yourself who put in a superb pin point corner for O'Connell to score against Ipswich?

It’s a shame you had to obscure some good points with that one. Just ask yourself how many of his corners and (especially) free-kicks, fail to beat the first defender. It will be a far longer conversation than the one you suggest.

I don't have the stats, but it felt as though we were much better from corners and free-kicks this season than the one before, we seemed to be trying different set pieces again after we'd been really inventive in League 1 and then not so much last season. Maybe it has been the effect of having Norwood, I don't know. Ones that stick out are O'Connells goal v Rotherham and another where I think it was Fleck knocked a corner to the edge of the box and Norwood shot but unfortunately narrowly missed the target.

Even the best get it wrong sometimes, I do agree that it can be infuriating having won an attacking free-kick or corner, only for it not to beat the first man.

Should point out that McGoldrick's bullet header against Hull, the game before Ipswich, again came from an excellent Fleck corner. So it wasn't a one-off.

Even a cone can balance a ball on its head. I'm sure you'll miss it but you may watch his progress at rovrum or Lincoln.

If I were looking for authoritative view on midfielders, the last person I would consult would be a fan of Nick Fucking Montgomery. That, together with your abject failure to appreciate the special talents of Paul Coutts, really speaks for itself.

If I were looking for authoritative view on midfielders, the last person I would consult would be a fan of Nick Fucking Montgomery. That, together with your abject failure to appreciate the special talents of Paul Coutts, really speaks for itself.
Yes I remember you preference for Doyle over Monty.
Your constant failures to recognise Coutts limitations and off the ball play shows how the Pinchysaurus views football. Most of us have moved on.

Well let's look at who could have played instead of Fleck, we have had this season Lundstram, Dowell, Woodburn, Coutts and Johnson otherwise it means pulling bash out of the back three. I think that answers why Fleck was picked, even when his form wasn't so good he was still the best option.
Fair points.

We’ll see next year and who Wilder goes for in the transfer market as to how we’ll see Fleck deployed. I think we’ll see another defensive minded midfield player brought in and see Fleck doing more of the things he does best and that’s take players out of the game with his little darts forward.

In short he’ll get back to playing more of a Fleck role instead of a more cautious, only get forward when Wilder tells him too sort of role, I think this will be made possible with who Wilder brings in.

Back
Top Bottom