James Hanson

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I think our forwards are where we are weakest. We will rely on goals from Billy and midfield.

I don't think Hanson was a good signing at the time, and looks to be another one where we will be stuck paying wages for a player we don't need. Maybe he could be used as an impact sub? I'm not convinced that Hanson, Clarke or Lavery will have enough this season.

Whilst what you're saying is factual, the majority of the unbeaten run he played no part in.

He maybe influential in the dressing room though, so perhaps you're right.

He played in 13 out of the 17 games he was here for during last season*. All of which we went unbeaten and helped us earn the 100 points we finished with. He might not be good enough for the Championship, as he's not yet played a game nobody actually knows, but I don't understand why people need to be negative about a player who played a part in one of the best seasons we've ever had.

*before he came in we went 3 games without a win (the period in which loads on here were saying we need more height and strength up front)

He played in 13 out of the 17 games he was here for during last season*. All of which we went unbeaten and helped us earn the 100 points we finished with. He might not be good enough for the Championship, as he's not yet played a game nobody actually knows, but I don't understand why people need to be negative about a player who played a part in one of the best seasons we've ever had.

*before he came in we went 3 games without a win (the period in which loads on here were saying we need more height and strength up front)

I said this before on another thread a few weeks ago. Every player who put a shift in, assisted, or scored, helped us to get to that special 100 points position. You could even argue that Daniel Lafferty's final goal against Chesterfield, on the final day, was the most important of the season, in that respect.

Don't mind anyone having opinions. I just don't rate him, even as a target man.

Different opinions is fine, it's what the makes this board what it is but you said that he played no part in the majority of the unbeaten run at the end of last season, which isn't true.

People can have a different opinion, they can even 'not rate him' if they want but he deserves a bit more respect than some on here are giving him.

Different opinions is fine, it's what the makes this board what it is but you said that he played no part in the majority of the unbeaten run at the end of last season, which isn't true.

People can have a different opinion, they can even 'not rate him' if they want but he deserves a bit more respect than some on here are giving him.

I thought he started the first game...think it might have been Port Vale that he scored in, then a few after that. Then got injured and didn't start a game for rest of season.

I might have it wrong.

I thought he started the first game...think it might have been Port Vale that he scored in, then a few after that. Then got injured and didn't start a game for rest of season.

I might have it wrong.

It was the 4-0 against Wimbledon when he scored. He played in 13 out of 17 games, so to say he played no part in the majority of the unbeaten run is incorrect.

Before you all go 'anti Blade' on me, I've no issues with him. I just don't think he offers us much. Even as a lump it in the box option, he never seemed to win as much as he usually did when playing against us.

Predictable scenario really isn't it?

Always likely to be surplus in the Championship and I wish we didn't give him a 2 and a half year contract. But Wilder wanted a target man to help make sure we got promoted, and chose Hanson.

I don't know why we didn't get Tom Elliott from Wimbledon, for a similar price. Younger, more athletic, better with his feet.

As for the striker situation in general, we shouldn't have gone into the season with only Evans as a new signing. But the right strikers are difficult to find.

Got some right clueless twats in our ranks. When he's gone they'll all be whining about not having a big bullying forward who's good in the air for when our passing game isn't working!

Got some right clueless twats in our ranks. When he's gone they'll all be whining about not having a big bullying forward who's good in the air for when our passing game isn't working!
Righdo Pep.

UTB

A big bullying forward good in the air - So not James Hanson then !

Hanson tops a list of big useless lumps that have courted "favour" with an out of date, out of touch section of our support. A section of our support that cheers raucously every time said "lump" heads it / flicks it on straight to an opponents feet. That doesn't grasp the FACT that every time said "lump" is directly involved in play, it results in possession turnover up to 90% of the time. 90%. What's fucking good about that ?

Hendo Higgo and Sammon to name a few that have all had plaudits from all corners of BDTBL. All of which were mistakes. Huge ones as it turns out and a significant reason of our decline over the last decade.

I thought we had turned a corner with Wilder. I still believe we have. But then enter James ducking Hanson, as bizarre a signing as any of those mentioned.

The saving grace could be Wilder accepting his mistake (think Hussey) and moving him on.

Thanks for your contribution James. So clearly vital to our promotion last year, according to the experts.

Fuck me dead !!

UTB

Last edited:
Has anyone thought that Tufty does still want him but got an offer too good to turn down?

Hanson tops a list of big useless lumps that have courted "favour" with an out of date, out of touch section of our support. A section of our support that cheers raucously every time said "lump" heads it / flicks it on straight to an opponents feet. That doesn't grasp the FACT that every time said "lump" is directly involved in play, it results in possession turnover up to 90% of the time. 90%. What's fucking good about that ?

Hendo Higgo and Sammon to name a few that have all had plaudits from all corners of BDTBL. All of which were mistakes. Huge ones as it turns out and a significant reason of our decline over the last decade.

I thought we had turned a corner with Wilder. I still believe we have. But then enter James ducking Hanson, as bizarre a signing as any of those mentioned.

The saving grace could be Wilder accepting his mistake (think Hussey) and moving him on.

Thanks for your contribution James. So clearly vital to our promotion last year, according to the experts.

Fuck me dead !!

UTB

Think you're overreacting a tad Dronnie.

As usual, context is everything. My take on Hanson's purchase was that Wilder needed difference from his forwards, by bringing in Hanson that's exactly what we got, and Hanson's presence, when selected, was enough to disrupt opposing defences and give us an edge. Horses for courses if you like, but you can't blame Wilder for making that call. It worked. We achieved promotion, and, despite any protestations to the contrary, Hanson did make a contribution to our promotion.

It's really no more complicated than that.

Hanson was a tool to help us out of league 1. He won't be used enough in the championship to make it worth his while sat on our bench or not making the squad at all. Mansfield is another 30 miles from his home and 2 leagues down and a pay cut even at 30 for regular football that's too big an ask, no wonder he said no

Think you're overreacting a tad Dronnie.

As usual, context is everything. My take on Hanson's purchase was that Wilder needed difference from his forwards, by bringing in Hanson that's exactly what we got, and Hanson's presence, when selected, was enough to disrupt opposing defences and give us an edge. Horses for courses if you like, but you can't blame Wilder for making that call. It worked. We achieved promotion, and, despite any protestations to the contrary, Hanson did make a contribution to our promotion.

It's really no more complicated than that.

You could also argue a case for Hussey contributing. By being garbage enough to force Wilders hand into the transfer market.

Except he isn't a big bullying forward - stick insect thin more like it. Hanson has a single advantage of being 6' 4" and against 3rd and 4th tier footballers he used that to his advantage, but has very little else going for him and just looks like a player that came out of amateur football at 20 years of age. Just because some of us don't rate him doesn't make us clueless twats. I know numerous Blades and not ONE of them rate him, so I suppose that makes quite a few of us clueless twats. No doubt we should all fuck off to Meadowhall on a Saturday!

UTB

He was brought in to do a job, which was to provide an alternative method of breaking down teams who parked the bus. I doubt wilder ever considered him good enough for the type of football he wanted to play in the championship but he did his job to get us promoted.
We had to give him a decent contract or he would not have come, it was decided to be a good deal,as it contributed to promotion. Now we have to,get as good a deal as possible to offload him

Back
Top Bottom