How Was The Game Today?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Probably because Baxter has evidenced over the last two seasons, consistently, that he is ineffective in league 1.

He will be pushed on his arse by big, strong L1 midfield players, will sit there complaining whilst the referee ignores the foul which has just taken place and we will be under pressure again !!

Regrettably, Baxter, like Scougal, has little to offer in L1 ..... :(
UTB & FTP
Not too many teams that have fans who claim their recent joint top scorer in a season offers little and is ineffective.

Let's face it, if Reed is starting our games this year then we are in trouble if we're thinking of promotion.

Not too many teams that have fans who claim their recent joint top scorer in a season offers little and is ineffective.

Let's face it, if Reed is starting our games this year then we are in trouble if we're thinking of promotion.

My view is that Baxter was able to deliver performance from the penalty spot in League games, but offered little else in league games. I really don't see that changing unless all the other L1 sides have signed midgets in the summer.
UTB & FTP

According to Wiki, Louis Reed is 1.73cm tall and Stephen Quinn is 1.68 cm tall. Quinny didn't have such a bad career for a titchy bugger. Still there is a lot of truth in the old adage that a good big un will always beat a good little un.
I'm waiting for a good big Un to be better than messi the dwarf

Fully agree about Baxter's stamina, that's why I see him as a "No.10" should the manager want one.

Baxter in "the hole" with Sharp up front and Adams and Murphy around and about really does "fill up my senses"!!

I just don't see Baxter CM in a 4 - he struggled last year in a 5 with the pace of the opposition at time.
I could have Baxter in the team, and in the hole is acceptable. At the moment all we have had is "casual" pace pre-season friendlies - when the L1 opposition actually want 3 points to get their win bones, and start running us ragged in midfield like last season (with 5 !) Baxter will be found wanting in CM.

UTB

Wallace was off the pace slightly as that clumsy tackle showed(could have been sent off) that but he looked fit and up for it a match fit Wallace will be awesome in this league not quite there yet but soon will be

yes you are correct, it was pretty clumsy - but as a team we were exposed so Wallace dived in - would only have been a yellow in a game, but took it for the team. At least Wallace will tackle and being strong in CM is what is needed - sorry, but Baxter doesn't tackle - Murphy doesn't, Woolford looks to have a lovely left foot, a right one that he stands on and can't tackle either.

UTB

On the whole I thought it was very encouraging.

Defensively we pretty solid and I thought McFadzean looked good. We press much more aggressively and suspect we won't drop off teams as much. This is what a Bramall Lane crowd want to see.

I thought the midfield looked good and Baxter looks rejuvenated. Basham is very mobile and I thought Scougall did well, made some very good runs and almost scored. Got a resounding "Scoogs" when he went off so I'm not the only one who thought this!

Sharp looked just that and showed his ability to hold the ball up. He's a class above L1. Adams looks an absolute beast and when he runs at defenders he knocks them out of the way. Very exciting.

2nd half they had the better of it and a very well taken goal. Hugs in looked OK coming on as well. On the whole it was good and augurs well for this year. Still think we need one more CB.

Adkins said we weren't good enough to get promotion a couple of weeks ago, not recently. On the night he also qualified what he said and that some players were injured at present and some needed the attention of his coaches to develop their strengths.. He has signed Sharp and Sammon since then too.

As for Baxter, I don't think you or I have watched him play in midfield in a mobile and energetic attacking team yet. When Clough got us buzzing he was up front. You say he plays too many easy balls but I actually think he's too ambitious with his passing far too often. If he has runners moving for him, we'll all learn just how good he is. As for "easy balls" the really good players play them all the time if their team is functioning well, that's the sign of a good team and a good player.

Have seen Baxter play in midfield, but in a 5. Think in a 5 you can to a degree hide a bit. We saw a few teams come down to BDTBL las season with very energetic midfield - they passed and moved to ball round our 5 in midfield - it was as we all saw an embarrassment at times.

We don't really have runners - Murph tends to be double marked and is quite static - Che has movement and Billy does, altoughth as before Billy does come a bit deep at times.

I am tying to stay positive with a new season and can probably just about manage without CH's, and if we concede 2 and score 3 then fair enough.

Baxter in a 4 is scary. If Wallace is physically fit, but not quite match fit, then would prefer 60 minutes of Wallace then Baxter for 30 as against t'uther way round.

We saw Wallaces poor attempt at a tackle in the 2nd half - but at least it was a tackle - does Baxter put a foot in? .........not convinced.

UTB

Have seen Baxter play in midfield, but in a 5. Think in a 5 you can to a degree hide a bit. We saw a few teams come down to BDTBL las season with very energetic midfield - they passed and moved to ball round our 5 in midfield - it was as we all saw an embarrassment at times.

We don't really have runners - Murph tends to be double marked and is quite static - Che has movement and Billy does, altoughth as before Billy does come a bit deep at times.

I am tying to stay positive with a new season and can probably just about manage without CH's, and if we concede 2 and score 3 then fair enough.

Baxter in a 4 is scary. If Wallace is physically fit, but not quite match fit, then would prefer 60 minutes of Wallace then Baxter for 30 as against t'uther way round.

We saw Wallaces poor attempt at a tackle in the 2nd half - but at least it was a tackle - does Baxter put a foot in? .........not convinced.

UTB

The only time Baxter tackled his weight he got sent off it was so unnatural and late.

Central midfield is about partnerships and Baxter needs a Basham if he has to play there. Pity Doyle left:eek:;) but there's no need to play Baxter there. "No.10" or nothing I have always said but I'd try to set the team up with one. Whether Sharp can play in partnership with him would have to evolve, I'd suggest they both know how to spot a run and how to weight a through ball.

As regards 4-5-1, I honestly think there are so many in midfield that responsibilities get blurred and everyone leaves it to the other, both defensively and certainly going forward. Get a bit of space between the players for them to move into instead of them bumping into each other and tapping the ball in meaningless sideways short passes. Get exposed on the counter-attack? - give the foul away, easy.

Actually, he very probably has. Most kids have by the age of 18. It's a redundant argument anyway. He's still going to be too small.

It just might be your mind that's too small Pinchy!!

Looking on Google men can keep on growing until 25 years old. Anyway, fact is the boy ( who is just 18) has plenty of 1st team games already. He is an England International and I reckon he'll be in England U-21's two years under age. He doesn't defend corners very well but he jealously preserves possession of the ball and rarely gets caught in possession or tackled by blokes over 6'.

He doesn't need any more height, just his feet on the ground and a clear head. He is way in front of the game and I'd much prefer him to play for the Blades than the other lot, despite your criticism.

It just might be your mind that's too small Pinchy!!

Looking on Google men can keep on growing until 25 years old. Anyway, fact is the boy ( who is just 18) has plenty of 1st team games already. He is an England International and I reckon he'll be in England U-21's two years under age. He doesn't defend corners very well but he jealously preserves possession of the ball and rarely gets caught in possession or tackled by blokes over 6'.

He doesn't need any more height, just his feet on the ground and a clear head. He is way in front of the game and I'd much prefer him to play for the Blades than the other lot, despite your criticism.

Woody, I desperately want all our players to do well, including the young and the old; the black and the white; the local and the distant.

What I take issue with is people putting a special premium on local lads to an absurd extent: advocating that every little Tim, Diego and Horace are given preferential treatment such as a "sustained run of games". Wanting local prospects to be catapulted into the team regardless of merit or form, when we've got better players available.

That's not development. It's lunacy. It's a recipe for mediocrity at best and disaster at worse.

When do you anticipate Louis Reed either creating or scoring a grown-up goal? I think it's a legitimate expectation of a first-team midfielder, don't you? Or perhaps you want another ten year "Montgomery" mission?

"England" recognition, by the way, cuts no ice with me. I've seen them play many times, they're rubbish. I'm interested in Sheffield United.

Woody, I desperately want all our players to do well, including the young and the old; the black and the white; the local and the distant.

What I take issue with is people putting a special premium on local lads to an absurd extent: advocating that every little Tim, Diego and Horace are given preferential treatment such as a "sustained run of games". Wanting local prospects to be catapulted into the team regardless of merit or form, when we've got better players available.

That's not development. It's lunacy. It's a recipe for mediocrity at best and disaster at worse.

When do you anticipate Louis Reed either creating or scoring a grown-up goal? I think it's a legitimate expectation of a first-team midfielder, don't you? Or perhaps you want another ten year "Montgomery" mission?

"England" recognition, by the way, cuts no ice with me. I've seen them play many times, they're rubbish. I'm interested in Sheffield United.

Pinchy, what do yer do when your lass comes back for a bit more, is it "not tonight love, that would be far too Pinchy Pinchyness"?

You can't improve stamina - it is why Baxter is in L1, it is why Everton got rid. All the skill needed at this level, but if he can't last 90 minutes, go right to the end of the game and continually dictate how we play, then he is not for me. Wallace is that type of player and when he gets a bit more match fit then I hope he plays on a regular basis.

I genuinely hope Baxter can do the business - that's all I am after. NA is apparently a good manager, but he is not a magician.

UTB

Fulwood , Adkins and his staff will improve the Baxter diet and stamina . The mental side of football requires a improvement . Thought i would never say this , but a fit , committed Baxter , could be one of the first names on the team sheet , with others around him doing the hassling and chasing . I dont think this season , no player will be allowed to hide or be a passenger. Too much is at stake.

UTB

You can't improve stamina - it is why Baxter is in L1, it is why Everton got rid. All the skill needed at this level, but if he can't last 90 minutes, go right to the end of the game and continually dictate how we play, then he is not for me. Wallace is that type of player and when he gets a bit more match fit then I hope he plays on a regular basis.

I genuinely hope Baxter can do the business - that's all I am after. NA is apparently a good manager, but he is not a magician.

UTB
Firstly, Everton offered Jose a contract and he'd have probably had a regular bench spot. He turned them down for first team football. They knew he was quality, as should anyone with sense.

Secondly, of course you can improve stamina, what a ludicrous statement. A good example, coincidentally, being Baxter this pre season looking far more suited to a midfield two than in previous years.

Ronaldo is Portuguese. Born in Madeira.

EXACTLY. The rest are South American at 1.65, 1.70 and1.73. Ronaldo is not and is 12cm taller than the tallest of the quoted players.

Fulwood , Adkins and his staff will improve the Baxter diet and stamina . The mental side of football requires a improvement . Thought i would never say this , but a fit , committed Baxter , could be one of the first names on the team sheet , with others around him doing the hassling and chasing . I dont think this season , no player will be allowed to hide or be a passenger. Too much is at stake.

UTB

Baxter has too much skill for this division, so why is he here?
He struggles every game round 60 minutes - now I am not saying he doesn't try or doesn't put a shift in, but surely it is a pre-requisite that we have 11 players that start that can go a full 90 minutes. If we are winning, rest players, if we are losing, change to recover the situation. If we are drawing decide if we take the draw or go to win. If Baxter can't last he shouldn't start and i am not convinced his stamina can be improved dramatically.
We had the "Baxter" problem last season as well as problems with other players - we do not seem to have solved some of the major issues we had.
An awful lot of people are putting an awful lot of faith in Adkins and his staff being miracle workers.

UTB

Baxter has too much skill for this division, so why is he here?
He struggles every game round 60 minutes - now I am not saying he doesn't try or doesn't put a shift in, but surely it is a pre-requisite that we have 11 players that start that can go a full 90 minutes. If we are winning, rest players, if we are losing, change to recover the situation. If we are drawing decide if we take the draw or go to win. If Baxter can't last he shouldn't start and i am not convinced his stamina can be improved dramatically.
We had the "Baxter" problem last season as well as problems with other players - we do not seem to have solved some of the major issues we had.
An awful lot of people are putting an awful lot of faith in Adkins and his staff being miracle workers.

UTB

We have no choice but to put faith in Adkins and his staff , from board , club to fans . The morale and relationship between management and players seemed to have improved , but the proof of the pudding , will be when the season starts . Adkins has sorted the forward line out in having depth and some quality . Where we are still short and lacking IMO is at the CB positions , which is now like a long playing record .

Get the CB sorted and we have a chance , if not Adkins will have to be a miricle worker and very lucky.

We have had the talk and positive spin , but so did Reading . In saying that he knows the score , the pressure and the level of expectation . I dont think he will freeze players out , but if they do not toe the line , and give full commitment , they will be out . Make or break season for Baxter and yet again for SUFC.

Will he give the younger players a run - If so , from the bench.

UTB

Firstly, Everton offered Jose a contract and he'd have probably had a regular bench spot. He turned them down for first team football. They knew he was quality, as should anyone with sense.

Secondly, of course you can improve stamina, what a ludicrous statement. A good example, coincidentally, being Baxter this pre season looking far more suited to a midfield two than in previous years.
I will bare my arse on the town halls steps if Baxter ever becomes even a bench warmer in the Premiership, for any period of time.

UTB

My feelings about Baxter are that he's never really taken his career THAT seriously. I think he's a class player, but has kind of taken his career for granted and seemed like he is just going through the motions as a footballer. I get the feeling that since this drug case it's really woken him up and made him realise that he could have lost it all. I think he's also probably quite inspired by the fact Adkins has taken over and has a track record of turning players of Baxter's ilk into much better players. He's roughly the same age and a similar type of player as Lallana was at Southampton in League 1. It might seem a little ambitious but there isn't anything stopping him following that trajectory IF and ONLY IF he really knuckles down in pre-season and impresses Adkins, as the alternative would be falling out of favour and getting a move to a lower league one side. I think that realisation has woken him up somewhat and he seems to have chosen the former.

As for the midfield, if we can somehow manage to tempt Harry back, i'd like to see us play Basham and Harry at CH just to be solid as fuck there with Wallace and Baxter in the middle of the park when Wallace is fit. Those two pulling the strings wouldn't work last season but i'm hoping the new Baxter can step up and be that player that we want him to be. Don't forget that they're best mates and would probably have a great understanding in there. Wishful thinking maybe, but with Murph and Done on the wings and Che and Sharp upfront i think we'd walk the league. If we do go with a 3 in the middle, Basham, Wallace and Baxter would be balanced strong.

I agree that this midfield might tire and certainly isn't reliable enough for the whole season, but this is where the likes of Reed, Flo etc to step in and get games under their belt. It wouldn't be such a bad thing if Baxter is tiring every week on 65-70 minutes, as this is a great time to be making changes anyway. If we're winning, bring on a more defensive midfielder, if we're chasing a game, bring on a more attacking one.

Finally, this bladey-bladeness catchphrase of Pinchy's is going a bit far now. Reed is 17 for god's sake. It's a massive achievement that he is anywhere near our first team given the amount of players we have in that position. He might not peak until he's 25. That's 8 years away! 2023! Imagine how ridiculous it will seem when Pinchy's sat there on the kop in 2023 watching our homegrown hero pulling the strings in the prem and he's saying to his mates 'I used to slag him off when he was 17 cos he wasn't good enough'. No wonder these players lose confidence when they've got him in their ear telling them they're shite.

I know Adkins rates him and is on record somewhere bigging him up. Adkins strikes me as a bloke with his ear to the ground and likes developing young players. Reed will have already been on his radar before he managed United. I'm not saying he will definitely make it as a superstar, but I know for a fact that our encouragement and support will only help him in doing that.

Also, yes, I do prefer to have players from the academy than some random who doesn't care that much about the club. I know some think that's mental but I just find that I relate to them a lot more. I like likeable players that play like they want to be here. Yes I would sign some of our ex players back, because a lot of them are good. Better than we have now. I bet Pinchy would say no to Kyle Walker out of sheer stubbornness.

We have no choice but to put faith in Adkins and his staff , from board , club to fans . The morale and relationship between management and players seemed to have improved , but the proof of the pudding , will be when the season starts . Adkins has sorted the forward line out in having depth and some quality . Where we are still short and lacking IMO is at the CB positions , which is now like a long playing record .

Get the CB sorted and we have a chance , if not Adkins will have to be a miricle worker and very lucky.

We have had the talk and positive spin , but so did Reading . In saying that he knows the score , the pressure and the level of expectation . I dont think he will freeze players out , but if they do not toe the line , and give full commitment , they will be out . Make or break season for Baxter and yet again for SUFC.

Will he give the younger players a run - If so , from the bench.

UTB

You are as usual putting on a brave face to the new season, and I applaud you for that.
Think I an more concerned now than than under NC. I too am looking forward to the start of footy again, but with reservations.
Just hope it pans out ok - but I can just see October coming and some serious issues that have already formed.
Hope NA has a plan in place!
A lot seem to be putting a lot of faith into Adkins. I'll give it a while but it just seems obvious where our issues will be - as you said think needs a bit of lady luck.

UTB

For our goal Billy Sharp turned his man brilliantly ( that's what he does) and of course knew where Murphy was and played the ball into his stride. Kepper error helped of course.

Their goal is unfortunate, nothing to do with the central defenders. McFadzean tracked the winger's excellent run, couldn't even let him go as he timed his run so well. I honestly think McFadzean was unlucky that the winger headed the ball the way he did, in a way it was a fluke IMO. McFadzean didn't think he'd just lob the ball up off his head and round the back of him. Basically he stood his ground thinking it would be keeper's ball. It wasn't and it was a really good goal. In Adkins' interview he said at half time they had talked about that ball and those runs and he was disappointed we conceded to it. McFadzean was alert to it but unfortunate IMO.

Just another detail almost unprecedented for SUFC. When our goal crossed the goal-line there were THREE United players followed up for any rebound. Fantastic.:D

Also, yes, I do prefer to have players from the academy than some random who doesn't care that much about the club. .
Nice post, but I don't think there's any evidence that players that come through the academy have any more loyalty that those that don't.

UTB

Back
Top Bottom