How Was The Game Today?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Wallace is quality and for me needs to start at the side of Basham. Like Sitters, not a fan of Baxter and in a 4 we are going to be overrun as he does his disappearance bit in games. Baxter just isn't good enough in a 4, especially with a weak pair of Central defenders behind him.

We just don't know what NA is thinking yet.

NA has a few decisions for the Gills.

1) who plays left back
2) who plays CM with Basham
3) where does he play CHE - as, he has to start.

Where he plays Che opens other questions - if Che is up top (like yesterday) who plays RM. If Che plays RM (where I would use his pace to best effect), then who plays up top.

Think the rest pick themselves (for now). Howard in goal btw.

UTB
Have you seen Baxter play this pre season? He looks like a totally different player to last in my opinion. He's an exciting prospect once again

I understand why people don't think he should play but Adkins has played him there in every match and surely won't drop him at this stage. Maybe later? ;)

Baxter is interesting to watch - just think he takes the easy option. The main issue is not his skill or ability and I don't think he is fat. I really don't think he has 90 minutes of stamina that is needed to play centre midfield, which is why he drifts in and out of games. Basham has half Baxters skill but can run the midfield all day. Just think in the modern game, stamina and being able to last 90 minutes and be effective is an absolutely pre-requisite.

UTB

There isn't a question, is there? It's crystal clear that NA favours Basham and Baxter. They've been a constant when our "first XI" has been out there.

true, there might not be a question with Baxter with NA - i'll just wait for the flak if Baxter is to play on a regular basis, in a 4 man midfield.
It's only an opinion, based on what was seen when Baxter played in a 5 man midfield last season. He doesn't have the stamina for 90 minutes at L1 level AND dictate the style of play - because that is what it seems he is expected to do.

UTB

true, there might not be a question with Baxter with NA - i'll just wait for the flak if Baxter is to play on a regular basis, in a 4 man midfield.
It's only an opinion, based on what was seen when Baxter played in a 5 man midfield last season. He doesn't have the stamina for 90 minutes at L1 level AND dictate the style of play - because that is what it seems he is expected to do.

UTB

It's a valid point based on "past Baxter". However, there is near unanimity that we now have an excellent manager. Doesn't it follow that some players will improve significantly under him? Jose's ability is obvious and it's certainly better than League One. Maybe Nigel can get it out there consistently?

Have you seen Baxter play this pre season? He looks like a totally different player to last in my opinion. He's an exciting prospect once again

yes, saw him play yesterday. I genuinely hope you are correct and that Adkins can work his man management on Baxter. It really isn't anything personal against any Blades player, including Baxter. I don't think he has the stamina to dictate play where it needs to be in a 4 man midfield with the type of play you get in L1. Most teams (as we have seen for a few years) are all action especially in midfield - they don't let players like Baxter dwell on the ball or give them time.

NA has said, we are not good enough with the present squad to get promotion - he obviously won't say who isn't good enough - my opinion is if Baxter plays CM (on a regular) basis, then we are not good enough.

UTB

Strange set up from goal kicks: flat front 4, CHs go to LB and RB, Baxter drops deep.

Sounds good, could be a possession thing - deep lying playmaker drops into defence looking for the ball, centre halves split to allow space for it and to provide him with a simple pass if needs be. Liverpool did it with Gerrard for a bit, less notably I remember Karagounis doing it for Fulham when they played us in 2014.

It's a valid point based on "past Baxter". However, there is near unanimity that we now have an excellent manager. Doesn't it follow that some players will improve significantly under him? Jose's ability is obvious and it's certainly better than League One. Maybe Nigel can get it out there consistently?

You can't improve stamina - it is why Baxter is in L1, it is why Everton got rid. All the skill needed at this level, but if he can't last 90 minutes, go right to the end of the game and continually dictate how we play, then he is not for me. Wallace is that type of player and when he gets a bit more match fit then I hope he plays on a regular basis.

I genuinely hope Baxter can do the business - that's all I am after. NA is apparently a good manager, but he is not a magician.

UTB

nope it was a quality finish. Mcfad should really have challenged a bit more though.
on looking at the video that's what I thought - he took his goal really well, doubt there'd be many players in league 1 that could have done that.

yes, saw him play yesterday. I genuinely hope you are correct and that Adkins can work his man management on Baxter. It really isn't anything personal against any Blades player, including Baxter. I don't think he has the stamina to dictate play where it needs to be in a 4 man midfield with the type of play you get in L1. Most teams (as we have seen for a few years) are all action especially in midfield - they don't let players like Baxter dwell on the ball or give them time.

NA has said, we are not good enough with the present squad to get promotion - he obviously won't say who isn't good enough - my opinion is if Baxter plays CM (on a regular) basis, then we are not good enough.

UTB

Adkins said we weren't good enough to get promotion a couple of weeks ago, not recently. On the night he also qualified what he said and that some players were injured at present and some needed the attention of his coaches to develop their strengths.. He has signed Sharp and Sammon since then too.

As for Baxter, I don't think you or I have watched him play in midfield in a mobile and energetic attacking team yet. When Clough got us buzzing he was up front. You say he plays too many easy balls but I actually think he's too ambitious with his passing far too often. If he has runners moving for him, we'll all learn just how good he is. As for "easy balls" the really good players play them all the time if their team is functioning well, that's the sign of a good team and a good player.

You can't improve stamina - it is why Baxter is in L1, it is why Everton got rid. All the skill needed at this level, but if he can't last 90 minutes, go right to the end of the game and continually dictate how we play, then he is not for me. Wallace is that type of player and when he gets a bit more match fit then I hope he plays on a regular basis.

I genuinely hope Baxter can do the business - that's all I am after. NA is apparently a good manager, but he is not a magician.

UTB

Fully agree about Baxter's stamina, that's why I see him as a "No.10" should the manager want one.

Baxter in "the hole" with Sharp up front and Adams and Murphy around and about really does "fill up my senses"!!

I can assure you nobody loves proper footballers more than me, mate! I've been tirelessly fighting the cause against the We ❤️ Hoof Brigade for many years...

Central midfield is not up for grabs at the moment. It's perfectly clear that NA has settled on Basham and Baxter. That's the right choice for now as Wallace strives for full fitness and Coutts seems out of the picture. Incidentally if Coutts ever regains full form and fitness, he's the one 'nailed on' for a midfield berth.

Uncomfortable truth time: Reed is too small. He's a lightweight. He is neither a scorer nor a creator of goals. He may develop in time (though he's hardly going to grow!). I hope he does, but right now, the player you have imagined for yourself is not the one we see on the pitch. He's a million miles away.

Never said otherwise Pinchy but I would say that you're "straining" a bit too much on your dismissal of Reed's potential. Only time will tell and I hope you are wrong!

By the way lads grow until they're about 21 years old.

Why do you think he isn't fit? - he is.

Wallace has said he is fit - he looks physically fit and has had decent match time in pre-season.

As for 4.20 - Baxter took a knock and came off, but I suspect Wallace was always going to come on to replace Baxter.

The question is who starts at the side of Basham in CM - Baxter or Wallace v Gillingham?

UTB
Wallace was off the pace slightly as that clumsy tackle showed(could have been sent off) that but he looked fit and up for it a match fit Wallace will be awesome in this league not quite there yet but soon will be

Baxter and Basham have to start against Gillingham. I generally think Wallace is class but Baxter is chomping at the bit and from all accounts has played out of his skin in pre season.

Dismissing Reed is stupid. He's 18. And height hasn't done Xavi, Iniesta, Wilshere etc any problems. He's an intelligent footballer and that's the most important of all.

Baxter and Basham have to start against Gillingham. I generally think Wallace is class but Baxter is chomping at the bit and from all accounts has played out of his skin in pre season.

Dismissing Reed is stupid. He's 18. And height hasn't done Xavi, Iniesta, Wilshere etc any problems. He's an intelligent footballer and that's the most important of all.
How can anyone write off reed just played for England at his age level and signed a new contract with blades he has a long way to go and he knows that and potential sometimes does,nt mean it's a given that he will make it attitude allied to skill is all important.just hope that Diego and one or two others in the under 21s show the same as they have the skills it's attitude and drive that brings young players through

It's always possible to identify outstanding talents who, exceptionally, defy physical limitations. It's exactly the same with small centre-backs. In both categories people on a Bladey mission for the likes of Reed and Kennedy try to turn the exception into the rule. They "forget" to mention the overwhelming majority of star performers who are tall, powerful and athletic but, above all, talented. All Iniesta's are small. That doesn't mean that all small midfielders are Iniestas.

Let's stop pretending it's not a problem, shall we?...That's stupid.

It's always possible to identify outstanding talents who, exceptionally, defy physical limitations. It's exactly the same with small centre-backs. In both categories people on a Bladey mission for the likes of Reed and Kennedy try to turn the exception into the rule. They "forget" to mention the overwhelming majority of star performers who are tall, powerful and athletic but, above all, talented. All Iniesta's are small. That doesn't mean that all small midfielders are Iniestas.

No, but it's a perfectly reasonable argument.
He may not be an Iniesta, but he may be. He's played in the euros for the England side at his age group. Must be doing something right.

Leon Britton isn't the biggest, nor is Joe Allen, I'd compare Reed to those two more than the top performers, but if he grows theres nothing to stop him going to the top. Height has never stopped those two from becoming established PL players.

As for Kennedy, I don't rate him as much as some others do so you won't get any 'bladey bladeness' from me there. Good defender but his knee's have pretty much ended his career.

Let's stop believing he's stopped growing too;)

How can anyone write off reed just played for England at his age level and signed a new contract with blades he has a long way to go and he knows that and potential sometimes does,nt mean it's a given that he will make it attitude allied to skill is all important.just hope that Diego and one or two others in the under 21s show the same as they have the skills it's attitude and drive that brings young players through

All very true, except the bit about playing for England. Leaving aside the uncomfortable truth that "England" are a Selling Plate national team, the vast majority of England Youth players don't have a successful career in professional football. Ask another little midfielder from Sheffield, Ray Storey....

The same goes for Italy by the way. I can't help but notice that the fervour of Diegomania is diminishing rapidly....

No, but it's a perfectly reasonable argument.
He may not be an Iniesta, but he may be. He's played in the euros for the England side at his age group. Must be doing something right.

Leon Britton isn't the biggest, nor is Joe Allen, I'd compare Reed to those two more than the top performers, but if he grows theres nothing to stop him going to the top. Height has never stopped those two from becoming established PL players.

As for Kennedy, I don't rate him as much as some others do so you won't get any 'bladey bladeness' from me there. Good defender but his knee's have pretty much ended his career.

I'll make it short. :)

He's not going to grow much, if at all.

There is no reason to suppose he's anywhere near as good as Britton or Allen.

"England" are a very poor national team.

Most youth internationals fall by the wayside.

I'll make it short. :)

He's not going to grow much, if at all.

There is no reason to suppose he's anywhere near as good as Britton or Allen.

"England" are a very poor national team.

Most youth internationals fall by the wayside.

I'll make it shorter...

Him growing makes no odds to his talent
He has the potential to be, they both started at a similar level

For our goal Billy Sharp turned his man brilliantly ( that's what he does) and of course knew where Murphy was and played the ball into his stride. Kepper error helped of course.

Their goal is unfortunate, nothing to do with the central defenders. McFadzean tracked the winger's excellent run, couldn't even let him go as he timed his run so well. I honestly think McFadzean was unlucky that the winger headed the ball the way he did, in a way it was a fluke IMO. McFadzean didn't think he'd just lob the ball up off his head and round the back of him. Basically he stood his ground thinking it would be keeper's ball. It wasn't and it was a really good goal. In Adkins' interview he said at half time they had talked about that ball and those runs and he was disappointed we conceded to it. McFadzean was alert to it but unfortunate IMO.

I'd give more credit to their diving cheating moaning forward. I think he knew exactly what he was doing, headed it on to himself and finished really well. I can't see us coming up against that sort of imagination and execution very often in Division 3.

McFadzean played it the way that's probably worked every other time he's ever been in that situation but he was up against something new. I think he'll learn from it.

Why? Because he's not yet good enough and may never be. Do try to let go of this crazy obsession. It will end in tears...

Oh dear, you really do need to get over this crazy obsession you have that Reed is no good. This started as a post about 'How was the game today?'. You seemed to have turned it into your one man crusade to rubbish Reed, indeed your crusade to rubbish all academy prospects.

I don't know how Reed will turn out and neither do you. You have your opinion that he is no good, which incidentally appears to be at odds with NA who has just given him a 3 year contract. Maybe you are right and NA has it wrong, but I know whose opinion I would trust.

So rubbish away Pinchy, you are so very good at it.

He still has his faults, but he's a Division 3 player: if he didn't then he'd be playing higher up.

Generally agree though. A lot of the criticisms read like they are about last season's team.

Some things are the same but there's plenty that's different.

According to Wiki, Louis Reed is 1.73cm tall and Stephen Quinn is 1.68 cm tall. Quinny didn't have such a bad career for a titchy bugger. Still there is a lot of truth in the old adage that a good big un will always beat a good little un.

Oh dear, you really do need to get over this crazy obsession you have that Reed is no good. This started as a post about 'How was the game today?'. You seemed to have turned it into your one man crusade to rubbish Reed, indeed your crusade to rubbish all academy prospects.

I don't know how Reed will turn out and neither do you. You have your opinion that he is no good, which incidentally appears to be at odds with NA who has just given him a 3 year contract. Maybe you are right and NA has it wrong, but I know whose opinion I would trust.

So rubbish away Pinchy, you are so very good at it.

Thank you. I was responding to Woody's proposition that he is "nailed on" for a midfield place, sooner or later. I see no evidence to support that proposition. Good wishes don't make good players and they don't make tiny kids grow.

I want a successful Sheffield United, whether the players are from Darnall or Darjeeling. They're all Blades to me once they've got the shirt.

You've established your Bladey Blade credentials. You have your standards; I have mine. I'm content with that.

Actually, he very probably has. Most kids have by the age of 18. It's a redundant argument anyway. He's still going to be too small.

Can't see what size has to do with. If you're good enough, you're tall enough.

Surely his ability will be the limiting factor, not his size.

He's certainly started to tackle more afaict.

Like all players, but especially young players there are elements of his game he needs to develop, and almost arguing against myself maybe he could develop upper body strength.

Given his size he could do with learning from players of similar stature: how do they get through the game without getting knocked off the ball?

One great crossfield ball to Adams in one of the games showed some of his potential.

Can't see what size has to do with. If you're good enough, you're tall enough.

Surely his ability will be the limiting factor, not his size.

He's certainly started to tackle more afaict.

Like all players, but especially young players there are elements of his game he needs to develop, and almost arguing against myself maybe he could develop upper body strength.

Given his size he could do with learning from players of similar stature: how do they get through the game without getting knocked off the ball?

One great crossfield ball to Adams in one of the games showed some of his potential.

Good. I hope he overcomes the size difficulty. Not many do. That's why everyone can name them.

Is our club here for the benefit of young players or is it the other way round? The answer is obvious of course, but I see plenty of examples of muddled thinking on the matter...

I think we know exactly what Adkins is thinking re central midfield. Baxter will start with Basham as he has done in every pre-season game.

I'm not sure why people are still puzzling this one over?

Probably because Baxter has evidenced over the last two seasons, consistently, that he is ineffective in league 1.

He will be pushed on his arse by big, strong L1 midfield players, will sit there complaining whilst the referee ignores the foul which has just taken place and we will be under pressure again !!

Regrettably, Baxter, like Scougal, has little to offer in L1 ..... :(
UTB & FTP

I agree with you that Baxter is better than L1 ....... the problem is that we're stuck in L1 and imho Baxter isn't tough enough or strong enough to make any impression on this agricultural league. he will simply be "bossed" off the ball like the last two seasons in league games and he will prove to be totally ineffective. We need a "fit" Wallace or Coutts in that second CM spot whilst we're stuck in L1 or we will be overrun in midfield as we have been for the last three seasons.
Loan Baxter and Scougal out to championship teams until we get there is what I would suggest ......
UTB & FTP

Back
Top Bottom