Match Thread Grimsby Town v. Sheffield United - Pre-season Friendly

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Personally I thought it was as well as I have seen us play in a pre season game certainly first Half Sharp, and Fleck were stand outs and DCL had the best 45 I've seen him have.

However the day was completely ruined for my family by The Walking Brain Dead who call themselves our fans, particular mention to the off his face youth who stuck his face infront my. 16 year old niece and said "show us your tits love " & then his mates who threatend us when we told him where to go.

Proud of himself I am sure.

I was worried after Halifax on Tuesday but we played really well today.

Everything I thought was bad in the week were the positives today. We pressed from the front, often hunting in packs, causing their defenders to either give up the ball or shank it out of play.

Final ball was largely good and a hell of a lot better than Tuesday, and we must have had a good 15 shot today rather than passing it around for the sake of it.

I said after Tuesday I thought we needed another CB but O'Connell and Wilson both really stepped up today and looked impressive without having that giant Halifax number 9 to deal with. Both won every ball in the air and O'Connell in particular impressed with a number of tackles and interceptions.

Finally, a mention for DCL. I'd never seen anything in the lad to suggest he has what it takes to lead the line for us, but today he won headers, used his pace numerous times including making the second goal and also got on the scoresheet himself. I'm not averse to us signing Leon Clarke, but if DCL can keep up that level of performance and continue improving, do we really need to spend the money on him?

I do still think we need a box to box midfielder and think we'll get one, but it was good to see Wilder's words get a reaction out of them today and maybe they're starting to learn anything less than 100% is not going to be acceptable anymore.

I had a good moan at them after Halifax and couldn't see any improvement on last year, but nothing but praise from me today. Long may it continue!

So can anyone who went say how we played?

We played well, though it was very low key. Well organized & unspectacular, & Grimsby never had a sniff really apart from their speculative shot for the goal.

Very impressed with Jack O'Connell - very strong, bit of pace, no nonsense, an attacking threat at corners. Can see him becoming a favourite. Hussey's left foot is something to behold too - him & Brayford good bombing forward. And Fleck showed real class in flashes.

Nice day out in the sun.

Don't these characters realise how stupid they look. What a bunch of tarts.

Missed all of this, had a great afternoon and even enjoyed the football. My take on the game.

Hussey - Impressed going forwards (especially in the first half), nothing to do defensively.
Fleck - intelligent footballer, had a fair bit of time though
DCL - best performance for United, made 1 and scored 1, won everything that he could be expected to.
O'Connell and Wilson - easy afternoon but O'Connell in particular looks no nonsense
Brooks - looks very good on the ball, how old is he?
lined up 4-2-3-1 but by it's nature it's a fluid system so became 4-4-2 at times.
Would like to see their goal again, Long at fault? edit: crikey, just seen the goals, what a plank.

Overall, we were too good for them, as should be expected. Enjoyable afternoon

Last edited:
Got back a short while ago.

Overall we dominated for pretty much all the game. Controlled possession looked dangerous in behind.

Long seemingly left the ball and it went in the net. He must have thought it was going over as he pulled his hands away. Very strange. Maybe it took a deflection it was other side to me.

O Connell looks a great centre half. Very good in the air and seems to be very quick. Controlled on the ball. For me he was the stand out player.

Sharp looked like he was going to score everytime he went forward. DCL was a good target man.

New players - Fleck looks to control possession and always passes forward. Duffy creates pockets of space regularly and slides others in. Wilson looked composed at the back and again looks quick. Hussey looks excellent at left back, he is very positive and had a great left foot.

Overall a good day out!

Yes, Blades chasing locals all over the place from what I saw. I heard one Grimsby lad took a severe beating too. The Grimsby lot were looking for trouble though in fairness. It's all a bit embarrassing really.
Seaside, beer what can you expect ?
Not for me though these days.

Personally I thought it was as well as I have seen us play in a pre season game certainly first Half Sharp, and Fleck were stand outs and DCL had the best 45 I've seen him have.

However the day was completely ruined for my family by The Walking Brain Dead who call themselves our fans, particular mention to the off his face youth who stuck his face infront my. 16 year old niece and said "show us your tits love " & then his mates who threatend us when we told him where to go.

Morons, utter morons. Hope your niece isn't too shook up.

Long must've been pissed.

That was good from DCL for Sharp's first. Showed good athleticism and wasn't selfish.

So can anyone who went say how we played?

In simple terms BB a hell of alot better than Tuesday night. Wilder must have given them a right rollicking after the Halifax game as the attitude was far better. Was a little concerned with the centre halves the other night but today they looked far more assured. We saw some decent movement, especially as the game opened up. Still a little concerned that the back up squad isn't quite good enough but a special mention for the young lad Brooks who looked lively and totally unfazed. Plenty to do though and not getting carried away by any means, just as we weren't ready to throw the towel in after Tuesday. As before, patience is the key.
Fantastic turn out, great fish and chips, friendly banter and a win. Even the customary knobhead few didn't quite spoil it though I did hear it kicked off again towards the train station after the match. Roll on Wednesday

Everything I thought was bad in the week were the positives today. We pressed from the front, often hunting in packs, causing their defenders to either give up the ball or shank it out of play.

Final ball was largely good and a hell of a lot better than Tuesday, and we must have had a good 15 shot today rather than passing it around for the sake of it.

I said after Tuesday I thought we needed another CB but O'Connell and Wilson both really stepped up today and looked impressive without having that giant Halifax number 9 to deal with. Both won every ball in the air and O'Connell in particular impressed with a number of tackles and interceptions.

Finally, a mention for DCL. I'd never seen anything in the lad to suggest he has what it takes to lead the line for us, but today he won headers, used his pace numerous times including making the second goal and also got on the scoresheet himself. I'm not averse to us signing Leon Clarke, but if DCL can keep up that level of performance and continue improving, do we really need to spend the money on him?

I do still think we need a box to box midfielder and think we'll get one, but it was good to see Wilder's words get a reaction out of them today and maybe they're starting to learn anything less than 100% is not going to be acceptable anymore.

I had a good moan at them after Halifax and couldn't see any improvement on last year, but nothing but praise from me today. Long may it continue!

Music to our ears, particularly after the dull stuff last year

Really enjoyed the game today.

Fleck looks an excellent signing in the middle of the park and to be fair Basham looked decent next to him.

Centre Backs were very good. Been worried about them but today they were solid. Wilson is the quicker of the two, O'connell Defo the leader of the two.

Sharp was very good also. Enjoyed that .......

Really enjoyed the game today.

Fleck looks an excellent signing in the middle of the park and to be fair Basham looked decent next to him.

Centre Backs were very good. Been worried about them but today they were solid. Wilson is the quicker of the two, O'connell Defo the leader of the two.

Sharp was very good also. Enjoyed that .......
Posted the same about the centre halves (especially after Tuesday) but totally agree with Fleck. Did he missplace a pass? Flashes of the old rampaging Beard as well. Some good positives today

Morons, utter morons. Hope your niece isn't too shook up.

My brother in law, her dad, was more angry about it than her, she has shrugged it off now and said she's heard worse at school, I don't know what that says about today's society.

Am I being paranoid or are the dickheads slowly but surely becoming a more and more serious issue again in our away support?

See you mentioned Long in the last sentence . Nowt to do all game except bend down to pick the ball out of the net .:D

Good performance , but our fans are trying to work there way up to near the top of the hooligan league . Hot day , booze , no excuse .

Bit of making up for past history today with some .

UTB.

Am I being paranoid or are the dickheads slowly but surely becoming a more and more serious issue again in our away support?

I didn't go to a single away game last season but my Brother in law still goes to loads and he has been saying for the last two seasons that there has developed a hardcore of about 50-100 absolutely twats who attend every away game with the sole intention of creating agro.

See you mentioned Long in the last sentence . Nowt to do all game except bend down to pick the ball out of the net .:D

Good performance , but our fans are trying to work there way up to near the top of the hooligan league . Hot day , booze , no excuse .

UTB.

Is anybody convinced on Long yet as our first choice. I like the lad but wonder if he's ready.

There are always questions of any manager, I just wonder whether come Christmas if things aren't going our way, whether Long will be the big point that fans say Wilder should have adressed.

Is anybody convinced on Long yet as our first choice. I like the lad but wonder if he's ready.

There are always questions of any manager, I just wonder whether come Christmas if things aren't going our way, whether Long will be the big point that fans say Wilder should have adressed.
Shocking goal conceded by Long today, Ramsdale is 12 months too early to be back up.

Seriously, we need an experienced keeper in, if only for 1 year......

My brother in law, her dad, was more angry about it than her, she has shrugged it off now and said she's heard worse at school, I don't know what that says about today's society.

Nothing good mate, some bastards out there.

It's not like he's an 18-19 year old anymore, if he's not ready now when is he going to be?

UTB.

I made a save from a rogue shot into the stand in the second half, and i'd give myself a higher match rating than George Long!

Didn't see any of the trouble even though I was in Cleethorpes from 11 so can't comment, but can't say it surprises me with the factors of the game. We'll be back to friendlies at Macclesfield and other safe places next year. (Not that I mind those sort either)

Back
Top Bottom